If Boris Johnson looked downbeat yesterday, that is because he realises that he has lost

If Boris Johnson looked downbeat yesterday, that is because he realises that he has lost.
Perhaps many Brexiters do not realise it yet, but they have actually lost, and it is all down to one man: David Cameron.

With one fell swoop yesterday at 9:15 am, Cameron effectively annulled the referendum result, and simultaneously destroyed the political careers of Boris Johnson, Michael Gove and leading Brexiters who cost him so much anguish, not to mention his premiership.

How?

Throughout the campaign, Cameron had repeatedly said that a vote for leave would lead to triggering Article 50 straight away. Whether implicitly or explicitly, the image was clear: he would be giving that notice under Article 50 the morning after a vote to leave. Whether that was scaremongering or not is a bit moot now but, in the midst of the sentimental nautical references of his speech yesterday, he quietly abandoned that position and handed the responsibility over to his successor.

And as the day wore on, the enormity of that step started to sink in: the markets, Sterling, Scotland, the Irish border, the Gibraltar border, the frontier at Calais, the need to continue compliance with all EU regulations for a free market, re-issuing passports, Brits abroad, EU citizens in Britain, the mountain of legistlation to be torn up and rewritten … the list grew and grew.

The referendum result is not binding. It is advisory. Parliament is not bound to commit itself in that same direction.

The Conservative party election that Cameron triggered will now have one question looming over it: will you, if elected as party leader, trigger the notice under Article 50?

Who will want to have the responsibility of all those ramifications and consequences on his/her head and shoulders?

>to be continued

>part 2

Boris Johnson knew this yesterday, when he emerged subdued from his home and was even more subdued at the press conference. He has been out-maneouvered and check-mated.

If he runs for leadership of the party, and then fails to follow through on triggering Article 50, then he is finished. If he does not run and effectively abandons the field, then he is finished. If he runs, wins and pulls the UK out of the EU, then it will all be over – Scotland will break away, there will be upheaval in Ireland, a recession … broken trade agreements. Then he is also finished. Boris Johnson knows all of this. When he acts like the dumb blond it is just that: an act.

The Brexit leaders now have a result that they cannot use. For them, leadership of the Tory party has become a poison chalice.

When Boris Johnson said there was no need to trigger Article 50 straight away, what he really meant to say was “never”. When Michael Gove went on and on about “informal negotiations” … why? why not the formal ones straight away? … he also meant not triggering the formal departure. They both know what a formal demarche would mean: an irreversible step that neither of them is prepared to take.

All that remains is for someone to have the guts to stand up and say that Brexit is unachievable in reality without an enormous amount of pain and destruction, that cannot be borne. And David Cameron has put the onus of making that statement on the heads of the people who led the Brexit campaign.

ACCEPT YOUR DEFEAT

If the referendum becomes meaningless, then Nigel Farage and the Far Right will become THE major political party in the UK. And then the platform will go further to the right including outright racism. It'll look more and more like Britain First minus the name.

Alternatively, if the UK goes through with the referendum, Nigel will never know power again and the Far Right will be destroyed.

Westminster has to think very, very, VERY, carefully how it wants to proceed here. Each option is admittedly is a 'bad choice' for what they want, But considering the fact that the Far Right is rising in France and the Netherlands, the latter option is the preferable option.

>far right

Don't sell yourself short. The politicians may not speak the language, but pol sure as fuck does. And given enough time, pol's gonna drive them all the way to alt right.

>Then Nigel Farage and the Far Right will become THE major political party in the UK

No they won't.

Firstly, they simply can't get that many seats as it stands. They'll never get Scotland or the big cities and the UK is a very urban country and I think after this referendum you'll see a much bigger turnout from younger people while the masses of dipshits that turned up to vote to get the Pakis out won't bother voting in their local election and votes will be split between Tories and UKIP.

UKIP would almost certainly win a few seats more, but they're not going to be a majority ever. If they did a snap general election before declaring they have no intention of leaving the EU you might even find they lose out big time.

Secondly, we only have a general election every 5 years. A lot of the people that voted Brexit -- and I mean a lot -- will literally be dead in a few elections.

I gotta admit, this was more or less what I was thinking.

But then again, I want Brexit more than I want the UK economy to be strong in the ST/medium-term and muh trade deals. Boris clearly looked a little overwhelmed but he'll be fine.

A lot of this is being severely overblown by the fear mongering from the results. It'll all settle down in the coming weeks and the cowards in Scotland will probably end up voting to remain in the UK by slim margins.

This type of reaction happens with everything that makes both sides feel passionate. A large group of Bernie supporters said they will NEVER vote Hillary but as we all know they have already warmed up to her.

Fuck off, redditor

It isn't UKIP that's going to rise to power. Rather, the Conservatives are going to move toward UKIP.

Also. Don't count on the "Young" remaining fully Liberal. People become conservative based on their immediate environment rather than necessarily their demographic age group.

>"Anyone who is conservative under 25 has no heart, anyone who is a liberal over 25 has no brain."

Then again, I could be wrong, and I've been wrong before. But the assumption that political views remain fixed is highly naive.

>all dem score hidden
even redditors are downvoting these fags into oblivion

>When Boris Johnson said there was no need to trigger Article 50 straight away, what he really meant to say was “never”.

because you have to get a ton of independent trade deals sorted out before you trigger it you tard

you need to have those all agreed and ready to go once the very day the EU deals are stopped

No, man, didn't you read the expert reddit analysis?

Haven't Europe told us to start the withdrawal by Tuesday? You can only delay something like this for so long, they won't wait until October.

Fucking Cameron man, too much of a damn pussy to do his job. You're elected to represent the people, not your own pissy little pride. You are there to do what you're told. He should've done it.

>You can only delay something like this for so long, they won't wait until October.

it's not the EU's decision

it is up to the UK to trigger article 50 in their own time

all the new trade deals have to be agreed before then and that'll take months

Zip it, Jethro, OP makes some good points.

Piss off out of this. Dont you have a stepdaughter to rape?

Pol aint drving shit, you fucking moron.

Go back to worshipping your cartoon frog god and being the weird numerology cultist that you are

copy pasta

>the salt is real

Slovenia, when I find you on a map, I'm going to stick a pin in you.

I meant begin negotiations for trade deals etc, at the moment Cameron has decided he doesn't want to touch the issue with a barge pole as he never wanted leave to win. Since he's staying till October that's the earliest date it will begin, and delaying all this for months is bad for the UK and for the EU.

PASTA
A
S
T
A

You cucks are sore losers
sage

>because you have to get a ton of independent trade deals sorted out before you trigger it you tard

So article 50 will be triggered in about 15 years? That's how long trade deals take to negotiate ya dingus

Even then, it's David Cameron's descion whether anything is negotiated at all.

>It isn't UKIP that's going to rise to power. Rather, the Conservatives are going to move toward UKIP.

The Eurosceptic element in the Tory party is overstated. In fact the only party that is making moves about their idealology is the Labour party. They are moving back towards the centre

You have to remember that it was not just liberals or leftists that voted remain, but it was also conservatives

You need to leave before you can talk about the trade deals. You fucking twat

Someone mentioned a brexit jojo crossover in another thread but it dieded before I could finish this, so I'm dumping it here,

pls no bully