Are 4K discs worth buying?

Are 4K discs worth buying?

It's a gimmick, but if you have a 4k screen I don't see why not.

Just be aware that standard BD players CANNOT play 4K BDs at all. Can't even read the discs, because they've got more layers than a normal BD.

Rather ironically, the cheapest 4K BD player on the market right now is actually the Xbox One S. The PS4 Pro can't read 4K BDs. Weird, that.

>he buys media

If you have a 4K screen an 4K blu-ray player you probably should.

Bring him home.

>he wants the MPAA to lock everything in a cloud

yeah sony made a real poor choice by not including a 4k bluray player.

at least the xbone s goes on sale fairly regularly

>moving pictures are a gimmick
>stop motion effects are a gimmick
>moving pictures accompanied by sound and/or music are a gimmick
>moving pictures with actual recorded sound and voices are a gimmick
>moving pictures with different frame rate are a gimmick
>moving pictures in color are a gimmick
>computer effects are a gimmick
>widescreen is a gimmick
>higher resolution is a gimmick
>higher resoultion is a gimmick... again
>3D is a gimmick
>higher resolution is a gimmick... again

You a pioneer son. Is your name Cal Hockley?

Well, they didn't want to undercut sales of their own much-more-expensive-than-PS4-Pro 4K BD players.

Which was a stupid fucking move. One of the reasons DVD took off was because everyone had a PS2.

Not this one

Sony will try to sell 4k br enabled ps4 as pro2 and jew out more shekels

It wasn't mastered in 4k, so no, its just an upscale.

This. Sam Raimi's Spiderman had a bad 4K transfer people said. All they did was slightly change the color and slightly upscale

>"In this new version, I'm getting rid of all the niggers and kikes. Just like Trump will. MAGA"
Wow, what did Raimi mean by this?

A lot of these 4K discs are just upscaled 2K.

>''these stupid kikes don't won't notice the difference but I do; the whites will be purer and the niggers will fade into the back ground. Look at this porch-monkey here, all you can see is his teeth''

Raimis directors commentary on the 4k version is absolutely brutal

Eventually the limiting factor is your own eyes here.

If you haven't noticed they are desperately trying to get people to buy physical media again.

As soon as the home-burner from the previous generation becomes cost effective they change to a new media.

sony goofed the fuck up. straight from the ps1, one of features that made their systems market leaders was the diversity of native media players, CD, DVD, Blu-Ray

it was never funny

>spending money on movies
>buying physical media
>existing

But martian was mastered 2K with digital camera.
Why the fuck is it in 4K?

>As soon as the home-burner from the previous generation becomes cost effective they change to a new media.

You're a bright boy, user. Off you go to see Matron for an extra bit of tuck.

It is the same as for blurays you have to look up each one on the internet to see if it is not just some shitty port in a new packing.

>still falling for the 4k meme

Sexy single women are waiting for your message.

Why do people keep going at theaters when they already have full access to the whole experience in a blu ray disc? 4K is at almost live theater resolution.

No.

4K is meant to rectify the fact that, as your 1080p TV screen gets bigger, the quality begins to fade and you have to sit further and further away so that the image doesn't seem as soft. An 85" 4K viewing experience is probably fantastic, since you have an enormous image with impeccable clarity and detail, but only people who are millionaires or have just won the lottery would invest in something like that.

They're really the only people who can currently benefit from 4K, so yeah trying to market it to the general public is more or less a gimmick at this point in time.

Take it from me as someone who made a bad investment and thought he could get a 60" TV for a worthwhile 4K experience. On the plus side, regular 1080p blu-rays look awesome, and I made about £80 selling off the UHD blu-rays I had bought before realising it wasn't worth it.

>higher resolution is a gimmick

Kill yourself you memeing retard

Not that one

>physical media

Are you really that blind you need more resolution?

Not yet and not this one. I will be getting the HP ones tho because they have hdr and aren't upscaled

Ang Lee's "Billy Lynn" is coming out on UHD BluRay in 60 FPS (the first movie to come out on home video with HFR, even though it was actually shot in 120 FPS), and I'm really hope there's gonna be a proper rip of it.

its unnecessary for anything below 65"

>It's a gimmick

Lol.

They just stick a bluray in a projector at the theatre, newfriend.

Are they in my area?

>this is such a white people wank
>China saves their ass at least twice
>still act like you're better than them

What is the proper way to know if a movie was mastered in 4k?

Also, what about old movies? Will we ever be able to watch LOTR in proper 4K?

those are called normies

they're not very smart

Look up how it was filmed. I think lotr was filmed in 2K. Or all the versions that exist vesides the oroginal print are in 2K. Graphics were done in 2K. So they would have to completely redo the transfers and the graphics would still be the same.

Most big productions filmed since 2000 have been filmed in 4K 5K or 6K

LOTR's CGI was rendered at 2K (as is the case with 99.99% of movies), so unless they spend millions and redo it all, the CGI side of it would be upscaled

The film elements they could scan in at 4K, and re-layer the upscaled 2K CGI on top

This is how the Martian's 4K UHD Blu-ray works. It has 4K and 5K film elements with upscaled 2K CGI on top

Most of these UHD Blu-rays are using straight 2K upscales (both the film, and CGI), or digital if it was filmed digitally

Deadpool and The Revenant are some examples of UHD releases that are using true 4K masters, but yet again the CGI is 2K upscaled. The studios still aren't shifting their workload from rendering in 2K to 4K

Lots of reviewers tend to agree that the shift to 10 bit colour (up from 8 bit colour on standard Blu-ray) and the addition of HDR is more of a perceivable upgrade than the resolution difference between 2K and 4K. Though they pretty much all agree that something like The Revenant which uses a 4K master is very crisp

>movie that was shot on film
>2k

He likely means the completed master was in 2K

bump

No, better buy Interstellar. You know, Interstellar was better than Martian.

>buying entertainment

>not waiting for chinaman to record the movie for free

You done goofed

>You know, Interstellar was better than Martian.
This is what contrarians believe

Interstellar is absolute garbage

4K with HDR, yes.

If you have a hi end tv and 4K hdr and a big screen like 55-70" Sure but if it's only a small setup like 40-50" don't bother.

The biggest improvement is color compression and sound compression is vastly improved but that's about it.

It's not the massive jump 1080p 10bit was and probably never will be.

Deminishing returns M8

dumb phoneposter

HDR? Jesus Christ, neck yourself.

huh?

Pretty much every 4K UHD Blu-ray ships with HDR

3d is a gimmick though

It's a gimmick if you don't have an above 45" TV.

Explain, my tv doens't has HDR, should I buy a new one?

Yes

>like that would slow piracy even slightly

But user, 3D actually is a gimmick.

Waiting for YIFY on that though

3D is fun if you have a projector