Europe actually used to be Middle Earth

>Europe actually used to be Middle Earth
>the Shire became Britain
>Mordor became Germany

What did Tolkien mean by this?

Other urls found in this thread:

io9.gizmodo.com/how-many-miles-did-frodo-and-sam-have-to-walk-to-get-to-1705336137
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Mordor is in Hungary senpai.

The scale seems off

Is Minas Tirith Constantinople? I kinda like that.

Are you really this bad at maps? That's Austria.

>Grey Havens not on the coast

>Minas Tirith is Vienna
>Poland/Lithuania is Rohan
>Ottomans are the Orcs

WOAH

Mount Doom is Vesuvius

Also Vienna makes more sense as Minas Tirith

>what is geography
muricans detected

>tfw living in Mordor

Well it's not exactly a surpise

Mordor is the Black Sea you faggot

He lived in times of war with the Krauts. Whatever could it mean?

Mordor is Turkey in terms of geography

Feels good to live in Gondor :^)

>the paradise like undying lands are America

In reality America is a nigger infested hell hole

What did he mean by this?

Valinor is up in the sky

you mom is up in the sky

austro-hungary

>I cordially dislike allegory in all its manifestations, and always have done so since I grew old and wary enough to detect its presence. I much prefer history – true or feigned– with its varied applicability to the thought and experience of readers. I think that many confuse applicability with allegory, but the one resides in the freedom of the reader, and the other in the purposed domination of the author.

>it's a "yuropoor so buttblasted that his own countrymen are imbeciles he blames America" episode

pretty sure these maps show the distances best:
io9.gizmodo.com/how-many-miles-did-frodo-and-sam-have-to-walk-to-get-to-1705336137

Nowhere near Constantinople. Are you American by any chance?

Rohan is set firmly in Germany and Khand has no orcs.

Minas Tirith is supposed to be Belgrade, which literally translates to "the White City".

Mordor = Turks.

Literally nothing as he literally, *LITERALLY* didn't write lotr and an allegory for europe

>Gondor used to be a unified Kingdom that split into two when it became the Northern Kingdom and Southern Kingdom, similar to how Rome split into WRE and ERE
>Minas Tirith was described as a "Byzantine City" by Tolkien
>Minas Tirith had a twin city in the east called Minas Ithil, similar to how Thessaloniki was the twin-reigning city of the Byzantine Empire with Constantinople
>Minas Ithil (Constantinople) would suffer a plague (The Justinian plague) before it fell to the Orcs (Turks/Muslims) and became corrupted into Minas Morgul (Istanbul)
lel, even in fiction Turks are made as the scum of the earth.

>fiction Turks are made as the scum of the earth.
Art imitates life.

>OP posts applicability
>user thinks he's being cute by posting Tolkien quote about the difference between allegory and applicability that actually btfos himself and not OP
Poetry.

>Arabian Niiiiiiiiiiiights
gets me everytime

While Tolkien did intend his work to be a mythology for Britain, he never intended his maps to be adapted to fit into modern ones. You're all grasping at straws.

This, the modern era is the 7th Age or something. That leaves over 4 full ages for all sorts of geological changes, like whole landmasses falling off the map as at the end of the 1st Age

I live in the once great kingdom of Arnor!

>who designed this? an alien?
nice 10/10

ITT:

Neckbeards trying to equate fiction with reality. Tolkien made some clear statements about this.

I love this image

The only thing that triggers me is why spain has jumped on top of France, otherwise this image is as always 10/10.