Is Who Wants to be a Millionaire just a game of luck?

Is Who Wants to be a Millionaire just a game of luck?
I mean, there's 33.34% chance of being right unless the person happen to know the answer, and lifelines can only get you so far into the game.

Let's say there are 15 questions with 4 choices each. Let's also say there are 3 lifelines: call-a-friend, 50-50, and ask-the-audience.

For each of the 15 questions, there is only 1 correct answer, and 3 incorrect answers, so immediately your chances are 1/3 = 33.34%. You can use each lifeline once. Using phone-a-friend, let's say gives you a 95% chance the person you call is correct. So 1 question is 95%. Similarly, we can say ask-the-audience gives you a 95% chance. Finally, 50-50 will remove 2 wrong answers, so you have 1 right answer and 1 wrong answer, so you basically know the answer. To recap:

Question 1: 33.34%
Question 2: 33.34%
Question 3: 33.34%
Question 4: 95%

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HeR4jS_IO7Y
youtube.com/watch?v=WFoC3TR5rzI
youtube.com/watch?v=nzNMCXWCZzQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>I mean, there's 33.34% chance of being right
there are 4 answers

>obligatory video of some fag cheating

Is this an old pasta?

>... more than half the people on the show will lose, so it's not very fair.
>That show is making tons of money off of people.
Well, what the fuck did you expect?

You laid the bait a little thick, but here's a bump. Best of luck catching more (You)s.

How is it luck? You can take the money you have if you don't know the answer. And it's a game show about general knowledge. Having a large general knowledge is nothing to do with luck. There are professional quizzers in the world who make big money winning general knowledge competitions

>unless the person happen to know the answer
Knowing the answers is kind of the whole point of the game,.

he rounded it

>Total: 690.08%
>Divided by 15 questions = 46.00%

>4 possible answers
>25% chance

>phoning a friend
>95%

>50-50 lifeline
>100% chance

Are you perchance retarded?

>2012 - /sci/
>2013 - xkcd forum
>2016 - reddit
>2017 - Sup Forums

>Why yes, I must reply to this post to poke holes in this mans logic and prove myself superior. It is impossible for me to get baited into providing a response.

>4 options
>33.34%

Ignoring that you still rounded it wrong.

>Total: 690.08%
>Divided by 15 questions = 46.00%

from 25?

I got a laugh out of that one too, obvious pasta but still pretty funny. The 33.33% part got me good too.

Reminder that Jeopardy is entirely based on luck because there's a 10^-45% chance that the contestant chooses an object, place, person, or date that happens to be the right answer.

Even ignoring the bullshit math, questions 1 through 5 were warm up questions that anybody over the age of 5 can get without a problem. It took a real fucking retard to miss any of those, the game is basically handing you $1,000 just for getting into the chair.

You normally didn't start getting your curveballs until question 7 or 8. Even then, most of the questions in that middle tier are pretty manageable trivia fodder, it just depends on if the category plays to your strength or not.

Shit doesn't start to fly off the rails until question 10 or 11. If you go in preparing to use your lifelines as soon as you have a doubt instead of trying to conserve them for later, there's no reason why you shouldn't be walking out after the guaranteed $32,000 threshold. Not bad at all.

Idiot here..wouldn't plausibility be (if u didn't know any answers and didn't use 50:50) be:

>0.25 x 0.25 x 0.25 x 0.25..
All the way up to 15 iterations?

That gave me cognitive dissonance for a moment. I could not grasp how stupid you could be. luckily I remembered that this is bait because noone can be so fucking retarded

absolutely love this pasta

post the video pls

Fucking hell I haven't read this one in years, why am I getting nostalgia over pasta

>Question 1: 33.34%
>Question 2: 33.34%
>Question 3: 33.34%
If you don't know the answers to the first three questions, you're legitimately retarded.

>people not knowing this pasta and taking the bait

Hello, reddit

>People dont recognise ancient pasta

Did they up questions difficulty since first millionaire? Most answers I did not know were related to US and US culture - and some of supposedly hard questions were ridiculously easy, like a monotheism one - the fuck was that?

I've seen some pretty bullshit questions already on #1

In all seriouness the probability is 1/4*15=1/100=0.01%
It's not that low I'm surprised so few peoples won

Using the real numbers with your 95% lifeline estimation rate (lol) the real chance of winning without actually knowing a single answer is 0.00001%

you're not an idiot you're right =)

youtube.com/watch?v=HeR4jS_IO7Y
[coughing intensifies]

>all these newfags not recognizing the pasta

HOLY SHIT LATIKA IS SO FUCKING HOT

Now that's a pasta I haven't seen in a long time...

let me teach you a little bit about odds op

youtube.com/watch?v=WFoC3TR5rzI

40 minutes in, the cheater is one disgusting fuck. Glad the team kept rolling and they're suing their asses.

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.

I have only one question Did Scott win Sacrifice?

>In all seriouness the probability is 1/4*15=1/100=0.01%

you're such a god damn retard

This guy was also pretty good

youtube.com/watch?v=nzNMCXWCZzQ

hol up hol up hol up choosing the right answer out of 4 questions is not 1/3

IT'S ALL SCRIPTED YOU RETARDS

It's not retard.

morrissey is shit

The more you ignore him, the closer he gets. You're wasting your time.

This thread is amazing

Shows like this are so boring because half of the show is spent delaying and trying to build hype and anticipation to hear the answer. They don't cut to the fucking chase like a god tier show like Jeopardy does.

congrats, you've proven you are le oldfag. We all love and respect you for recognizing the OP. Have a great day fucking retard. Keep your mouth shut.