What are the essential elements of a good space show?

What are the essential elements of a good space show?

Cool looking ships and world building.

1) Being set in space.
2) Being well-written.

Solid world-building is important. Create a universe where a viewer is interested in not only knowing more about the characters and storyline, but also wants to know more about the universe in which the show is set.

Also, I like my sci-fi to be FUN with a good amount of banter. So I enjoy the original Star Trek and Farscape the most. Stuff like Battlestar Galactica and TNG are a bit too dour, and DS9 - while a good show - was shit at comedy.

Simply put, writing.

So many shows and movies depend on the setting to be WOW COOL NEAT LOOK AT THAT SWEET ASS SPACESHIP and other bullshit. I feel like a truly good story could take place most anywhere and anytime and not have to use setting as a crutch.

>not even a mention of lotgh

Good man.

Characters you can stand, and ideally, like.

Star Trek is shit
LOGH is an opera that happens to be in space, it's not a space show.

>opera that happens to be in space
Space Opera is a genre.

The words 'star' and 'trek' in the title.

Why is there no Foundation tv series.

The premise makes having characters who last more than a few episodes impossible.

Because it wouldn't work.

Space

Because it's in development hell.

What is wrong with that? Why does a television show need persistent characters? Just hire more actors dummy.

>dude, just alienate the audience and spend more money!
This is why it won't ever get made.

>Just hire more actors dummy.
Why must you hurt people with your words?

andromeda is my waifu

And everyones whore

>TNG
>dour

Foundation would require the following:
>Really expensive 1950s futuristic sets and props
>Actors who each last two or three episodes, with only Hari Seldon showing up more often than that
>Really complicated plots
>Almost zero action
>A weird premise about mathematical sociology that normal people might not understand
It's not hard to see why it doesn't exist.

>Futurama not Untouchable God Tier

>Outlaw Star
>Mid-Tier

Fuck you, Outlaw Star is High Tier for originality alone. Fist fighting space ships powered by drills? A gun that sends people in black holes that uses (literal) magic bullets? Dragon crystals that act as the power source for everything? (Okay, Escaflowne may have done this first, not sure.) A Council of Evil Space Mages all led by the Nintendo King? PIONEERED THE CONCEPT OF MUSCLE-GIRLS + CAT-GIRLS.

Firefly also directly ripped off from Outlaw Star and is worse in every way, thus in no way should Firefly ever be ranked above it.

>tfw your the only person in the world who thought Space Above & Beyond was a legit great military science fiction show
>feelsbadman

>We're expendable grunts who are also spec ops who are also pilots who are also engineers

cool looking jeffries tubes, ducts and pipes
╔═╝╔╩╦═╧
╚╦═╩═╬══╦╩╦
╔╩══╤╗╖
╠╧══╗╚╝

Hey I didn't say it was perfect but compared to half the dreck on this list! Especially Voyager. C'mon!

The real reason it can never exist is because all conservatives will hate it for "shadow govt. cabal knows what's best" and all liberals will hate it for "war is sometimes justified and necessary."

At least Voyager is insane and unafraid to be stupid.

where does the expanse land on that list

Ancient Aryan Aliens.