Unconventional 'straightedge' musicians

post your favorite straightedge musical inspirations, especially unconventional ones.

my pick is MERZBOW.
youtube.com/watch?v=wWxD4Au18M4
he left his highschool psychedelic jam rock band because the other members were "grass smoking zappa freaks" and if you smoke a cigarette at his concert he beams psychic samurai energy beams at you.

what really interests me is straightedge artists who have never used drugs and yet make unconventional, extreme, unusual type music, not just ordinary people making ordinary music. i feel like there is a massive misconception worldwide that "drugs" are somehow necessary for truly out of the box creative perceptions and thoughts, and this fucked logic traps people in a vicious cycle of drug use and seeking out other substances instead of just tapping into their innate mental abilities. these straightedge artists like MERZBOW are doing a great thing for the world in proving that you only need a cup of green tea to get in the zone.

Attached: merza.jpg (960x822, 280K)

Straightedge fags are nothing more than a bunch of holier-than-thou, deluded, pussies.

>t. degenerate weed smoker

>implying weed is the only drug

If you go your whole life without taking LSD or shrooms at least once, I genuinely feel sorry for you.

don't automatically assume my use of the term necessarily means some 18 year old punk kid with a gay tattoo, user. i just mean "artists who do not use drugs on principle, due to the insight that they don't benefit your life at all and only hinder your innate capabilities"

>don't benefit your life at all and only hinder your innate capabilities

Says whom?

you in five more years

im straight edge cause psychological issues. explain to me how it makes me a holier-than-thou deluded pussy please you massive faggot

What psychological issues? And I mainly meant people who are drug free and say everyone else should be as well.
Then why have most popular musicians experimented with drug use? Do you genuinely think they would've made better music without drugs?

ted nugent

Immolation

I see Merzbow as one of those outsider artists that gets attention for being Japanese. Hes more of a novelty freak performer than a musician.

>Do you genuinely think they would've made better music without drugs?
ugh i hate this stupid argument.

tl:dr they would have made good music regardless with or without drugs.

>What psychological issues?
dp/dr combined with heavy anxiety n panic attacks and the obligatory depression. i suspect i might have disposition to schizophrenia aswell but this hasnt been diagnosed its just my personal suspicion

try again tripfaggot

if it were just for his japaneseness then any and all japanese noise artists would be regarded similarly. i think masami akita has a strange personal charisma live, he is self-possessed like a samurai and mindful like a buddhist monk, not an out of control overworked incapacitated banker or epileptic masonna. he is the center of the tsunami of noise. and his output is more musical than it initially lets on, not just random hit or miss noises. i feel like merzbow is on stockhausen's level in a way. there's a method to the madness...

Attached: UMzuoCh.jpg (1754x1432, 622K)

>i feel like there is a massive misconception worldwide that "drugs" are somehow necessary for truly out of the box creative perceptions and thoughts
That might have something to do with managers behind the Grateful Dead and other LSD promoting bands being unironically CIA. Just a hint.

>grass smoking zappa freaks

Attached: file.png (500x500, 22K)

Japan in particular is really square when it comes to drug use. There are serious penalties for possession or distribution, and I think the most common drug use is truckers doing speed or whatever. Yet Japan has made some of the wildest music...

Marijuana use is associated with the onset of schizophrenia in vulnerable people, so it's probably a good idea to avoid it.

hmm citation needed

look it up yourself

>If you go your whole life without taking LSD or shrooms at least once, I genuinely feel sorry for you.
Why? Don't bother replying if you can't provide a study confirming drugs you use are beneficial for musicians.

For you:

nah im gonna keep smoking weed everyday smoking all day everyday smoke weed

what do you think why im straight edge buddy-o

what good music have you made. mr.drug addict

tyler the creator.
i don't even like his music, but making a big career in the rap game without doing drugs is pretty damn cool.

Source on that one. Wouldn't surprise me though.

>i need an official plebbit post to confirm everything i know because i cannot do research myself or think for myself

The Garden; their focus and energy is inspiring and exciting.

Attached: Slider_1_-_Wyatt_and_Fletcher_Shears__Musicians__The_Garden.jpg (1000x667, 198K)

>reddit
>credible source

Found the redditor

Attached: 5eb.jpg (600x750, 27K)

Lots of artists and thinkers claim they were, and I feel like this is the time to ask you for a study that shows they're wrong.

>I don't smoke weed so no need for the matches, said fuck coke now I'm snorting hitler's ashes.

What did he mean by this?