Is it just me or this movie's only good for the first half? I still don't understand why it got 14 oscar nominations

Is it just me or this movie's only good for the first half? I still don't understand why it got 14 oscar nominations

Yep it's 3.5/10 garbage with bad acting

Hollywood loves movies about Hollywood, shouldn't be surprising when you consider that fact

How would you qualify the filmaking of this film?

One of the dullest musicals in the history of musicals. Seriously, every scene of Ryan singing with his retarded frog sidekick was indistinguishable from all the others.

>he bases his taste off of Sup Forums memes

It reminded me of Audrey Hepburn's Funny Face a musical with interesting cinematography and colorful visuals, that was it I see nothing special to it

>cinematography
>nothing special

Turbopleb detected

The Book of Mormon came out in Australia recently so I saw LaLaLand about a week before I saw the Mormon.

Doing this actually accentuates how much LLL fails as a musical. Besides City of Stars, the songs are completely forgettable and the cast can't sing or dance.

Mormon absolutely spoiled me - just 1 number after the other of memorable songs brilliantly performed.

I would like this film if emily stone was not in it. as a half asian half white male her Aloha by Cameron Crowe role was disgusting and very inappropriate

This movie went downhill for me when the second half was focused more to the story than the musicals, the cinematography shines more during the musical numbers

Emma Watson was supposed to be in it but she was busy with Beauty and the Beast

>Emma Watson was supposed to be in it but she was busy with Beauty and the Beast
Yikes and I thought it couldn't get worse.

Nice meme. Glad she dropped this terrible written tv moviesque shitfest

Why hire actors who can't sing, dance or act and make people actually sit down and watch it seriously?

>Emma Watson was supposed to be in it but she was busy with Beauty and the Beast

Chazelle dodged a bullet right there

>I still don't understand why it got 14 oscar nominations

It's a masturbatory, self-congratulatory ode to Hollywood created by Hollywood.

Chazelle literally wanted her, for a reason. You armchair director.

because everyone loves Ryan Gosling acting like Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone acting by Emma Stone, by everyone I mean redditors

But Ryan Gosling is Sup Forums and has been long before you redditors changed our board.

the ending was kino though

>b-but gay homolust for autism
Seems pretty reddit

But it's not for homolust, it's for the autism

people are comparing this to meet me in st louis and singing in the rain

film truly is a dead medium

Everyone is calling La La Land it a severely overrated musical. Here is what I see in it. First, I challenge the idea that La La Land is a musical. La La Land is more like a Cinema Verite' Fantasia. Its refreshingly different and an evolution in the musical genre because it is intentionally low key and intimate so that it feels like real life and the music tastefully heightens reality, the songs signifying epiphany in these characters lives. The score serves to portray the characters emotional feeling, its not a delivery device for constant hit songs.

Critics also say how little chemistry there is between Gosling and Stone but I don't think La La Land is a romance. Its a tragedy about two friends with benefits clouded by ambition who realize they love each other too late.

La La Land is also an iconic movie for the millennial generation because it speaks to teens who grew up dreamers but failed to achieve their dreams as adults and wondering what went wrong. I think its telling how Stone's character gave up being an actress after 6 years. Far too many Millennials themselves are now hitting 28 YO, 6 years after graduating college and wondering, what happened to my life? La La Land is talking directly to those people who wonder if their dreams will ever come true and saying...perhaps but keep trying. Its also asking, even if you do, will you be happy? It shows Gosling compromising, taking a job he didn't want and achieving his dream of owning a jazz club. Stone didn't compromise and lost her true love.

I think its a movie with a message, saying that millennials (especially women) should understand life is a series of left and right turns and not to give up, even if they didn't get a direct connect to their dream job. Compromising right now doesn't mean lack of fulfillment later. Mixing this new spin on musicals with this needed encouraging message is the reason why La La Land has become iconic to many Millennials and impressive to film fans the world over.

>thinking anyone but you sees this
millenials like the movie cause its got 2 memetic celebrities singing little jingles, a love story and some cgi imagery to dazzle* them

*distract them from their shitty boring lives