Fight me

Why does everyone seem to hate this movie? Imo the best sf thing i watched after space odyssey.

Because this board is stupid. Amy Adams was robbed of an Oscar nomination.

because it's pretty pleb tier. I love sci-fi and it was enjoyable for me but... it was also just really (((hollywood))) if you get what I'm saying

Holy shit you have terrible taste. That bitch was the worst thing about it. She can't fucking emote like a human.

Who would you have nominated for Best Actress?

Sup Forums ironically hates it to seem contrarian

it was well beloved the first couple weeks and we had great threads about it

clever, beautifully directed, amazing performance from Adams

Bravo Dennis

Hey i liked it

because it's popular

Because this board is unironically made up of plebs who like superhero movies and chick flicks.

because it's shit
the reasoning behind the tension they created was extremely weak
the aliens were completely non-aggressive the whole time, the story didn't give enough elements to make an attack by china even plausible.

why should the aliens be aggressive?

That scenario seems pretty possible to me, people are idiots irl

I hate the way people say this movie is better than interstellar.
No its not

holy shit please watch more and read more

its a good movie but putting it at number 2 on your sci fi is opinion discarded tier

The movie didn't even have anything special.
It didn't even have an epic moment basically nothing happened

that's just because interstellar was garbage don't worry so much

Well give me a reason its shit

Absolutely missed the point of the movie, nicely done there

Neither her nor emma stone. Rebecca hall

>tells bs kangaroo story
>army dude googles it
>you're dismissed wildcard linguist
>aliens never talk to said linguist
what did villeneuve mean by this?

the point of the movie was linguistic relativism, doesn't change the fact that the story was shit

the irony is too much

please tell me that this was the joke

do you hate any popular movie? like any at all, say from imdb top 250...you better not, you fucking contrarians :^)

If you keep up with anything on Sup Forums if its not a big budget blockbuster but has longevity in threads, first people like it but its a small group, then it gets popular enough that the contrarians start coming in.

It forces them to consider the concept of a concept that can't be understood
>b-but i can't imagine that!
that's the point

>confusing the point of a film with its core concept
Fucking plebs, when will they learn

the only bit that really bothered me was how she decided to have a kid anyway knowing the kid would die of cancer and was like like "lol this is just the way the universe is sweetie, enjoy the short desperate shit life I've granted you"

the daughter was literally just a fun toy to her

Saw it last night. It's a good film but a bit bland for my taste. I was afraid that Villenueve would make it a bit boring after seeing Sicario and that's exactly what happened.

it was a bad movie, BvS was better

>muh love
>muh choices
>muh determinism
all served the concept.
it's dishonest.

i haven't watched it because those ships look silly
>oooh look, we don't use the conventional shape of spaceships

fuck off

not everyone is autistic enough to google up random anecdotes and stories

I don't really get how time is supposed to work in this film. Is the future already determined or could it be changed by acting on the knowledge gained through the understaning of the heptapod language ?

largely implies that the universe is deterministic but at the same time basically explicitly states "does it matter?" cause Amy Adams doesn't bother contesting that her child is going to die

>tells kangaroo story
>heard about it a while back, professor told us that it's a myth.
>eyes get ready to roll
>"but it's not true"
>well played Villenueve

feels a bit like lazy writing desu

she acts pretty retarded about it at the end, I feel

>"Everyone"

Idiots are gonna be idiots.

I mean this entirely unironically, I hated this movie. My family/friends who saw the movie also hated it. Everyone in the theatre seemed to hate it. I can't understand how anyone could enjoy such a boring, predictable, stupid movie.

Anyone with a brain could predict the big """twist""" from half an hour into this shitfest. Hell, I found myself predicting lines before they were spoken for half the movie. Every line is so cliché and unoriginal that it dumbfounded me that anyone could think it was passable. The writing was dreadfully stupid too. From "Reading squiggles makes you see the future" to "Africans have linguists and technology as good as the west and East Asia", this garbage made me want to vomit from the sheer stupidity and stretches. It was also such a bore. I have no problem with slow movies or movies with little actual action, but this one made me want to blow my fucking brains out. No suspense, no action, no cool sequences, no humour, nothing ato all to keep my interest. I ended up walking out of the theatre due to these factors, around the point where the guy said "The best part wasn't meeting them...it was meeting you." or some other predictable, stupid line. The two main characters had absolutely no chemistry by the way. They were only married because the future said they would be. A future the girl could've changed, mind you, so she didn't have to deal with her child dying and husband leaving her,but didn't because fuck you.

Arrival was shit. Terrible. Absolutely awful.

If this shit wins an Oscar then by god I'm never seeing a movie again because I clearly don't deserve it.

literally only one of those is a primary theme in the film
try again

None of those is a theme you fucking dip.

>he can't infer themes from single words in greentext shitposts
First day on Sup Forums huh kid?

i think everyone in my theater, me included, liked it.

Amy Adams is a shit actress

They all are, kid.

Try to pay attention next time you watch a movie.

You're wrong. I feel sorry for you if you lack the intellect to understand that

Nice try kid, but you gotta do better than that if you want rustle ol' me.

Now go watch Arrival again, you clearly need to.

It's like Contact, but Jodie Foster is killer sexy. The entire China thing is silly pandering shit. There's lots of other weaker cliche story devices. It was an ok movie.

Are you guys for real? Holy fuck how pleb can you be.
This movie is literally armageddon but with linguists.

>resorts to meme'ing when he's challenged on his incorrect assertions
Are you 12?

If you bring up the word "twist" while discussing this movie, you are dumber than the target audience

>does it matter?

I feel like this is answered with the whole sentimental hug and shit in the end with Renner because even tho she knows what will happen, she chooses to see it anyway because its the "feeling/being-in-the-moment" is what really matters.

She chose the happy yet sad memories to come true and experience them rather than throwing them away and not knowing tomorrow

>A theme is a single word
Please graduate high school before posting.

>can't read
>accuses others of not graduating high school
what did he mean by this?

>claiming they're incorrect without the use of argumentation
wew lad

You're stupid AND have poor taste. Deal with it.
This movie was a mess. It was the opposite of show don't tell. They even have to put a didascalic montage in it like it was some kind of documentary.
All the tropes about the army and the academics were so fucking tired, not to talk about everything else in this movie.
It felt like the director, or whoever came up with this shit script, had a vague idea of an idea he'd like to make a movie about, but ends up making a pointless movie and the core idea is forgotten and is not developed, it's there just to justify the existence of the movie

It sounds like you were bored of listening to people talk about the subject matter with actual depth instead of just summing the plot up in a sentence and then cramming explosions in there. I'm not saying you're an idiot, but your IQ is definitely below 90

maybe he thought that linguistic relativity was neat thing to have in a sci-fi movie, but features have to be a certain length so he just winged the rest.

Reddit hates arrival and reddit makes up a large part of this board.

Nice try Reddit but you and Arrival can both fuck off

and what was the target audience of this movie? millennials who think they're smart?

I am reddit yes. That's how I know reddit hates arrival.

They really do. If you hate arrival you'd unironically be more comfortable on reddit

Why do they hate it.

>Why does everyone seem to hate this movie?

The answer is simple: screener is out.

And screeners gather a special bunch of people.
Just look at any thread right know about a movie which has a screener out, it's just people arguing about literal plot points and the logical order of the narrative thinking they are "discussing" a visual medium like film (just like this thread)

It's same thing for every film, when the screener is out you better not even try to argue about a movie because their opinion is practically invalid, no matter do they like or dislike the movie.

>every arrival thread
>someone says "its for the target audience to feel smarter than they are"
>the "twist" (this movie has no twist)
>time travel (this movie has no time travel)
>two attractive people working in close proximity for months falling in love? UNHEARD OF

Nearly all of the criticisms are total memes because the cinematography, score, and themes are totally untouchable in this movie.

reddit is actually the go to spot for try hard contrarians. Its also the spot for "film buffs" and capeshit watching retards to chime in.

They hate it for mostly the same reasons people here claim to hate it. They find some flaw in the dialogue or story and continually repeat it like it negates everything else the movie does well

>there is no twist
are you fucking retarded? it's an explicit obvious twist that they pull on you out of nowhere

You need to go back and stay there

in 10 years time, will it be remembered more than the others?

>its obvious!
>it comes out of nowhere

which is it reddit?

There was no twist faggot

>Nearly all of the criticisms are total memes because the cinematography, score, and themes are totally untouchable in this movie.
bvs?

Yes all those films but arrival have already been forgotten

Yes

but I like arrival

>I am so smart I managed to follow a 15 words discussion about nonlinear communication
lmeoooo how stupid Arrival fans really are? I thought it was a meme but it really looks like the movie is pandering to easily impressed idiots

>arrival threads in first two weeks of its release
>comfy af
>arrival threads now
>reddit film critics think a single bad line or scene ruins a beautiful film

He probably means the kid.

I liked it pretty much.

Exactly stupid plebbitor shitter

I find this criticism to be all style over substance

but reddit doesn't like arrival. See where I'm going with this.

You think its me who belongs there. But you would fit it very nicely. I'm not telling you what to do, I'm an user not a cop.

Why did the Chinese man show her his phone? Is this common in Chinese culture?

trying a bit too hard there friendo

>8.2/10 on IMDb
>94% on RT, certified fresh
>98% on RT from top critics
>83% audience approval on RT
>81% Metascore
>Grossed nearly quadruple its production budget
>Nominated for 8 Oscars including Best Picture

The movie had amazing innovative sound design where the use of it wasn't only to "fill the form", but actually in use of telling the story where clues from the future were played in the current narrative, the movie will atleast get oscars for sound mixing and sound editing, and I think film editing aswell.

But I'm sure you screenerfags didn’t even experience anything like that because of the atrocious 96kbps audio.
You listened to better quality audio when you downloaded dodgy bootleg versions of songs from Limewire 8 years ago for fucks sake

I think he's referring to our fedora tipping film buff friends here on Sup Forums

this movie has three traits that Sup Forums despises:

1) it is very popular
2) it is critically acclaimed
3) it is nominated for awards.

Sup Forums's special snowflakes hate it when their secret club of special films is shown to be a hugbox for autists.

they didn't understand it. no other reason to hate this movie. dislike perhaps, but not hatred.

Do we look like fucking normies? Now gtfo

If you didn't see this movie in theaters you missed the fuck out.

Nothing is going to top that score and sound for a long time. The music playing during the phone call scene gave me chills.

I cried at the end of this movie.

cant you retards on this board not carry an argument without resorting to shitty forced memes? get a fucking clue kids

Stop being such a drama queen.

A good premise ruined by shitty actors,
and an actress who is overrated because
overrating actresses is the "in" thing
these days.
Next stupid question.

This. EoT

those people don't much care for the visuals or the sound, it seems they just want to be part of it and discuss the plot on Sup Forums.

>the double meaning to every line in the opening monologue

K I N O

Wow muh akira soundtrack!!! Muh violins with sad feelings voice over!!! Muh big bass aliyums very innovative wow!

>Most found it really interesting and broadly a great film.
Holy shit guys. This user has a crystal ball.
He didn't need a poll nor a survey to back up
his claim.
Just stating them is enough for he war born
with crystal ball eyes that automatically
validate all his statements.
No self-validation attempt here. Nope.

What would happen if an ice sun collided with a fire sun?