Sup Forums BTFO

Sup Forums BTFO

Even the best American director knows video games are better art form than movies

It was already made, called BF: Nam.

Name one video game that even comes close to a movie like Tokyo story or eraser head just one

>best American director
>haven't made a good movie in 30 years

>don't feel you are capable of producing anything of artistic merit
>don't put out half baked mediocre shit to please normie plebs.

Drakengard

but Spec Ops: The Line came out years ago

This is also valid.

Kingdom Hearts

>movie like Tokyo story
Play Skyrim, lock yourself in a house and stare at the wall while listening to evangelion radio drama.

He definitely wrote Lost in Translation and passed it off as his daughters. He even shot a Suntory Whiskey commercial

Nah, she's still remaking Lost in Translation, she'll probably do it for the rest of her career. This is her entire thing

No type of video entertainment is art.

Undertale
Life is Strange
Dark Souls
Witness
Dwarf Fortress

The list goes on

Why does it become art if you hit pause then? Or is nothing visual can be called art? If so, what the fuck is called visual art then?

Say no more

Witness is unironically a stronger work of art than Tokyo Story.

did you name both god awful shit games and good games on purpose?

Confirmed for never watching all eight hours of Andy Warhol's Empire

It's low budget and it'll be shit.

somebody ask this fucker why he keeps giving convicted child rapist victor salva more movies to direct... does salva have something on coppola? do they have the same "hobbies"?

Why the fuck would he care if a director diddles kids or not

Because he probably partakes in all the underage boy parties.

Games and Film aren't comparable mediums despite the apparent similarities. Some games play like movies and you might be able to compare them but those will always
fall short. Other games can't. How do you compare Roller Coaster Tycoon to Eraser Head?

>implying you can't fabricate a waking existential nightmare in Roller Coaster Tycoon

So Sirent Hirr?

Godfather games we're weak

Eraserhead is kino, RCT is a toy that grown men play because western culture is in decline

There you go

Oh my bad. Forgot the ride never ends.

Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped

>enjoying life is strange
Looks like we found the brain dead faggot.

lol this

This isn't anything new.

I kinda feel bad for Coppola because it means he's getting desperate.

so
you love tumblr
you are underage
you are a girl
you have literally no taste
thanks for the info

Metal Gear Solid (1) is the best example of how videogames can be a narrative and hold an artistic merit.
I strongly suggest everyone to play that who feels to disagree videogames as (any) kind of artform.

Mario Cart

Video games are absolutely an art form.

They just don't belong on a pedestal, and they certainly aren't a "definitive" art form.

Wow
A shitty stealth game, but it's a self-aware one
Wow
Art

shit b8

Video games are incapable of being art though. Sure they have artistic elements but if we considered them forms of art rather than simulators/games than we would need to consider football or chess art as well. Video games are about simulation and gameplay. Art is about individual expression or application of human creative skill and imagination to present a mirror of the world around them. It's like trying to say vidya is a sport, despite it not requiring any real physical involvement.

By the way pic related is OC

>White male
>nice guy, but acts extraordinarily feminine
>high-end flamboyant accent
>does high-end flamboyant limp wrist hand gestures every time he talks
>talks about how much estrogen he has
>listens to beyonce
>wears female lotion
>obsessed with the way he dresses (okay so that shouldn't count)
>goes around skipping and singing disney songs

its a great game, great story, fantastic atmosphere, but not good enough for a movie, for a great movie anyway, you people (gamers) are easily impressed

Metro Last Light

/thread/

listening to his thing on kickstarter, spec ops sounds like the polar opposite from the kind of game he wants apocalpyse now to be

This is the only game in existence that can be considered an artistic videogame. All the rest is trash.

>hahah, guys, I'm so post-modernly self-aware!
>look, the character just directly addressed the player, WHOA
>ahhh I turned off your controller, are you mindblown yet?

>Sure they have artistic elements but if we considered them forms of art rather than simulators/games than we would need to consider football or chess art as well
Yes, and if we consider movies art we'll have to consider a video of my buttcrack that I just shot in 320x240 a work of art too. And if we consider music art, we'll have to consider a sound recording of my poop hitting the water I just recorded a work of art too. And if we call paintings art, we'll have to consider this piece of toilet paper I wiped my butt with a work of art too.

i don't think it comes close, tokyo story is kino
but in my opinion, kentucky rout zero is fantastic for a god-tier movie

You realize that some people do consider things like that art right? If we don't draw boundary lines than that stuff will be in your local museum one day.

wew

No you faggot, it's called Vietcong.

THEM FUCKEN TUNNELS

God of War

Goat Simulator

>Undertale
>Gone homo

the list could go on...

>hasnt made a solid film since 1986

>30 years later

>might as well try my luck at gaming, this directing thing isnt working out

Akiba's Trip

>You realize that some people do consider things like that art right?
You realize that most people do consider video games art right? They are in museums right now.

That further proves my point that people think things are art even when they aren't.

Are you retarded per chance? Chess and football are not VIDEO games, they're rule sets for real life activities. VIDEO game versions of chess and soccer are absolutely art. Just like a video recording of a chess game is art.

Sup Forums not even once

>the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power.

You can't just play around with a word based on some arbitrary tinkering you've done with it in your head.

They already made a apocalypse now video game

Was thinking of the same thing, I guess the guy who made the pic was right after all. Really makes you ponder.

What are you implying here, that games aren't the result of the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form? Or that they are not to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power?

Comparing movies and vidya is like comparing books and statues.

They're different realms of art and should not be compared.

>and hold an artistic merit.

All videos, movies, et al. are art and hold artistic merit. You, like many incorrect people, keep equating art -- or "artistic" -- with good: stop.

kek

It seems like this board has this conversation every fucking day;

1. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it isn't art.

2. Whether or not it is good art is entirely debatable.

Now fuck off.

>immediate defensive
I was talking about the retards who romanticize the concept of art and exclude video games from qualifying, asshat.

Someone can't fucking read properly. Degenerate.

When you find me movie equal of Metal Gear Solid 2, i'll start to think movies as equal as videogames as artform.
Go ahead. Try.
Only i can think is Synedoche, New York

>VIDEO game versions of chess and soccer are absolutely art. Just like a video recording of a chess game is art.

TVcucks don't yet realise that interactivity itself is the artistic subject matter of vidya. You know when you pop that popping wrap and it feels good? Or when you start removing shell from boiled egg and it comes off easily and it feels good to just do it? That's art. Designing things that are supposed to feel this good is an artistic pursuit. People don't get it yet, but they will.

Godfather was a fun game, I'd play Apocalypse Now

>quoting things
Woah...

full pleb
preferring the hackjob of some video game writer to conrad

>life is comfy
Shame there wasn't an ending where I can make Max Mr. Jefferson's submissive fuck slave.

Just pointing out the absurdness of the quote by copying it.

whenever i go to the most prestigious art galleries there are signs tell me to not touch the artwork and velvet ropes keeping me at a distance

i still go look and its still art that only interact with visually

Video games are art. Playing them isn't.

Bubble wrap and hard-boiled eggs weren't designed to be interactive.

I understand your point, but those examples are stupid.

How is it absurd exactly? A video of a chess game is art, correct? A sound recording of a chess game is art, correct? A transcript of a chess game is art, correct? A photo of a chess game is art, correct? And a video game version of a chess game is also art. It's not the subject matter that defines art, it's the form in which that subject matter is presented.

Sup Forums was fine up until about '12. It became absolute cancer in 2014 with the whole goobergate fiasco.

Literally fucking Sup Forumseddit-core, fucking christ how disgusting.

>weren't designed to be interactive
And nature wasn't designed to be observed. And yet we find it nice to look at. What's your point there exactly? Sure, egg isn't a work of interactive art. If it was made by a human, it would be though

None of that is art in itself. Art can revolve around chess but the mundane retelling of it is not art. If those things are art than watching a football game is art or even better than a match announcer or journalist reporting on the subject is an artist.

What if it's a statue of a book? Checkmate, faggot.

Art isn't just things you like. Literally every text is a work of art, we're not here to decide if it's good or not. Even this post is a work of art.

>Ico and Shadow of the Collossus (haven't played Last Guardian),
>Silent Hill 1, 2, 3, PT,
>Metal Gear Solid 1 ,2, 3 (for the heady pulp it is),
>Dark Souls/Bloodborne
>Super Mario 64 (a true interactive cartoon)
>Zelda: OoT (I see it as an equivalent to a classic silent film), Majora's Mask, Wind Waker

All of these games have convinced me that the medium of interactive art yields experiences that sometimes not even film could offer, Nuances from narrative; living, vivd paintings; mental challenges with that make you think about more than the puzzle, and simple fun.

You can very easily find games that offer what Lynch offers. Silent Hill is a good companion.
Even Tokyo Story could be matched, though I do love it.

So basically you're saying either everything is art, or nothing is art?

That's fine if you feel that way, but I really don't feel like having this argument. It's a pointless headache.

I bet you think you're making point with all that childish bile! Sad!

see You bring nothing to the table but someone to get told to go to their room.

I understand what you mean but some of those games are celebrated for their narrative, more than the use of the video game medium in itself. It's another whole world if you think about what games fit that criteria.

Art is a rational but transcendent labour. Post modernism, not even once.

This discussion is often had, but I finally feel like now people are starting to see more and more that video games are art.

And it feels good. Making some now, hope to see you soon.

Why do video games need to be seen as art in the first place? Why not except it for what it is? A game that's played for fun or for some escapist enjoyment.

All of those games, even the narrative based ones, utilize the craft of engaging the player's senses, either by gameplay mechanics or an interaction with something via gameplay - like an enemy design or puzzle or strategic decision - in order to shape the artistic expression/narrative.

I picked those because I can absolutely cite them if you wanna discuss em.

Simple, user. Very simple.

Because now people are making games to BE art.
Because those games that were made even without the intentions of being perceived as art fit very obvious criteria for being considered art pieces.

>Why not except it for what it is?

You mean art? Because it already is that.

I guess some video games strive to be seen as art.

There's a place for both art and entertainment within the medium.

and most importantly, because they fit both descriptions of excapist enjoyment fun, AND art.

*accept