/daily/ - O'Rourke Edition

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>listenalong schedules, OP pics, etc.
daily-mu.blogspot.com/p/welcome.html

Previously, on /daily/:

Attached: 3885651.png (600x529, 414K)

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/various-artists/zwiersciadlo-slavic-mirror/
instaud.io/1WrD
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/carla-dal-forno/you-know-what-its-like-1/
capecod.edu/wkkl/index.html
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/infinite_body/a_series_of_false_awakenings/
youtu.be/uxOE_CNYnLM
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/odpoczno/odpoczno/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/フィガー・ウィズ・ミート/-/
mega.nz/#!b7IkgJoB!cO6ja8f_MlV-WqbeoMQ_GsOJi5daZaDOQ4lZCY7coZc
youtube.com/watch?v=tCmWQgnLEsM
blacksquares.bandcamp.com/album/im-desperate
mega.nz/#!qvglHSTR!C0fk4XH-AQ1F7xoEjHfeeDqNmkjGVn-EBMccm6wmaXg
mega.nz/#!fyJSwYaQ!hmD-ge1wcr0fVQx5tdMypSSojy4ciwxkEshmLwG6GzQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

classical is for children

prove it

jangle is a child

What was your favorite track?
rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/various-artists/zwiersciadlo-slavic-mirror/

If you zoom in on the top of part of a snippet of the song, are there any noticeable "blocks"?

Attached: 1513017023889.png (546x546, 253K)

metal is contemporary classical

Top 2018 releases? This is all that's really impressed me so far this year, but I'd like to start seeking out more current year stuff. Recs appreciated, any genre.

Attached: IMG_1127.jpg (960x134, 26K)

give me your business line i'll fax you my bepis right now

yikes didn't mean to jpg that

I loved the two "Episode From Original Performed Soundtrack "Transilvania Smile"" tracks

(not pictured are Bug Bus Piano - mMega Macrobial Wipe Pad and The International Nothing - In Doubt We Trust cuz topsters doesn't have those)
really haven't listened to much tho

Attached: topsters2 (10).png (1951x409, 460K)

good image
if we're doing a top 5 thing, these

Attached: topsters2.jpg (1856x402, 55K)

>Jonny Greenwood - Phantom Thread OST
>Haino x SUMAC - Dolla Dolla Bill Yall
>Jung An Tagen - Agent Im Objekt
>Phil Minton & ICI Ensemble - Say Yes. Till No.
>Alvin Lucier - Criss-Cross / Hanover

Yeah

veteran would be on here if he released an instrumental version of the album

Attached: topsters2(1).png (2893x409, 165K)

oh yeah
instaud.io/1WrD
I'm toying around with a new little vst and I'm really enjoying it, used a pretty basic loop to get a feel for the controls, it's a pretty intuitive thing

this sounds nice

>new vsnares
He's on autopilot since Detrimentalist for me except that analog album he did a couple of years before. Is that one any good?

high n kinda miss y'all rn
>inb4 "DUDE"

what's everyone spinning this thursday night?

it's good, bit too reverb heavy for the most part but there are a few good, stand out tracks.
I'm excited for the album he has coming out in april, the single from that is top notch

top pic

have barely listened to anything this year but i have a big wishlist of stuff i plan to get around to some time soon

i'm very excited to check out new emamouse! she always delivers

do you have a rym link to the japanese thing?

Attached: IMG_0676.jpg (1574x312, 60K)

i

Attached: 25442990_10215039714570375_7572653360002187990_n.jpg (767x768, 39K)

Attached: Spotify_2018-03-22_22-00-27.png (1920x1080, 235K)

did... did you get to see the face under the mask.,.... I'm jealous as hell

some good good shit

Attached: 3563049.jpg (600x540, 65K)

why miss

twinfanta probably lol
i also listen to mike shinoda's little ep a lot
harm's way, bog wraith, brojob
post- and punk

Here's my top 10 so far but I've been slacking a bit lately / not too adventurous with my music exploration

Attached: topsters2.png (2049x678, 328K)

Yes but her secret is safe with me

Whoops this was me btw

>Yes but her secret is safe with me
a god among men....

Everything O'Rourke has released on Drag City is incredible. The Visitor, in particular, is very ambitious and expertly crafted. He had produced masterpieces for Joanna Newsom and Bill Callahan. He could very well, if he so pleased, already has to some extent, carry the spirit of John Fahey's primitive guitar or Tony Conrad's fiery drones. Last I heard he spends his time doing film soundtracks in Japan?

Attached: getImage.php.jpg (333x333, 65K)

He produced and improved upon Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, for goodness sake. Post more about O'Rourke, boys.

dude's just some fuckin weeb

He's already undoubtedly the most posted about and generally liked artist here

not a lot of time for Sup Forums lately

never heard either of these but i'm glad y'all are having fun.

pic related for me

Attached: love.png (198x296, 86K)

good night say it back

Attached: zappa GUN.jpg (1080x804, 128K)

i'm so sleep

Attached: dodge.png (257x239, 139K)

GN

Oh shit lads, an upset.
I listened to both albums three or four times and COULDN'T DECIDE.
We are at a TIEBREAKER RIGHT NOW.
Dogwander, Ethyboy, one last rec.
Only rule is under 30 minutes.

Attached: tourney template.png (3136x1996, 3.01M)

>you might enjoy FLCL or serial experiments lain. Those are entry level "not garbage" anime in a similar vain imo
lol this fucking comment.

/blog/, I'm gonna vent a little here. Bear with me.

I've got about 500 pages in a book on Motivational Interviewing I need to read like three days ago, and I still haven't gotten the book. It's required reading for an essay that's due next week, in addition to recording a role play session. This wouldn't be a problem, but I've got another 1000 pages or so of books on law that I need to actually internalise properly and learn how to look up all the relevant laws for the exam I have on that next Wednesday. It's somewhat messy studying at double pace, but I guess that's okay. What really gets me is that I still haven't finished my thesis, so I also have to work on that in parallell, and that's really boring and hell.

But what really settles everything is the fact that my social life is in shambles. I may or may not have told my girlfriend that I have really strong romantic feelings for someone else -- my best friend. Naturally then, if I'm to stay with my girlfriend, I can no longer hang out with said best friend, who is also a central part of my entire friend group, so by extension I can't really hangout with anyone at all. I still spend time with them when I'm in school because I don't want to make things even more awkward than they are, but shit it really hurts me.

What I'm trying to say is I'm mildly stressed out and I can't afford to buy any wine to help me cope since I'm planning a train backpacking trip this summer.

Thanks for reading, I'm gonna listen to some renaissance music now while looking angrily at all the books I need to read.

Attached: beautiful.png (217x214, 97K)

On that note, there's a girl in my class who really enjoys classical music. She's a flutist, mainly, and enjoys predominantly music from the romantic period, but she knows about everything from Du Fay to Xenakis and she enjoys it when we listen to such music together. Recently we've gotten a lot closer, so she's started asking me to join her for concerts and stuff, which is great. Unfortunately she's part of this same friend group and is super close to the girl I have feelings for, so I can't really hang out with her either or even attend the concerts with her alone.

Attached: why is this car so slow.jpg (384x384, 63K)

>still haven't got the book
>can't afford wine because I'm going backpacking this summer
>can't hang out with girl I dig because have gf
You realize these are 100% self imposed and solvable problems, right?
Dump your girlfriend if she's making you less happy, duh.
Also rec me Hindustani classical with prominent tabla, preferably solo/with tampura but anything good works.

buy $5 wine, dump your girlfriend and fucking read your books.

I listened to the new Voidz album and it contains everything that was boring and mediocre about the songwriting on Tyranny. What a disappointment.
It’s also embarrassing how he tried so hard to impersonate Dylan on Think Before You Drink with all the intentional high-budget lo-fi sound.

The whole album feels like a bad VHS B-movie that was thrown out for a reason.
Told you
Wow nigga you fucked up

super mario brother

You heard Halfway to a Threeway?

Tell me another story about LA, grandpa :)
Pretty charming and thankfully brief

Attached: E5747122-D1FD-4EA8-818B-136C6EEE7A2F.jpg (630x622, 541K)

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/carla-dal-forno/you-know-what-its-like-1/
Which?

i have indeed boo

looks deec

C U M B L O G S

capecod.edu/wkkl/index.html

Sorry for being 30 mins late to tell you. Also some songs may suck because I'm following a format.

Attached: GJa2eqXWcLMEESjhKnPUVjtcgIUKNscu21j3WLErlMw.png (600x634, 72K)

>Also some songs may suck because I'm following a format.
wouldn't be surprised if the songs you're supposed to play are actually better than the ones you choose to play

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/infinite_body/a_series_of_false_awakenings/

there's no webplayer opening or anything when i click on listen

same

you will never know

click the play button then open via your media player (windows media player works for me)

Attached: radio.png (194x40, 2K)

howtf do i open a weblink in windows media player

good fuckin call dog

I dunno, it just kind of linked it when I clicked on the button.

It's too bad that out tune in isn't working either.

:)

Made a deal with my gf that we’ll watch Curb Your Enthusiasm together but only if I watch The Notebook with her. Anyone watch that thing? Deal worth it?

lmao

I mean yeah? I think they're alright and they're the most popular eva-esque anime out there that aren't 90% moeshit or fanservice other than maybe Bebop or GL

Ig I don't know your friend dynamic but I thought my friend group would fall apart when me and my ex broke it off but that didn't happen at all.

You could always just become gay

racist

it's only 2 hours but feels much longer and also is very bad

it's directed by a guy Named Nick Cassavetes so maybe you can pretend it's actually a John Cassavetes film and maybe that'll help?

This old song and dance

Attached: 6F613AEE-C687-4758-95E8-767117AF792C.jpg (707x390, 105K)

>Grateful Dead - Crimson, White & Indigo: July 7 1989, JFK Stadium, Philadelphia (2010)

89-90 was an unexpectedly hot era in live Dead. Jerry was clean and had made a full recovery, Phil is in great form, Brent and Jerry especially connect well. Many people may not realize that Phil even considers this period to be the peak of the band’s playing.

I will say that they do what they do during the later years especially well here, some tight musicianship, great solos, but not especially adventurous with the jams. Sound quality is great. There’s an especially killer setlist this night to boot. First set doesn’t let down at all and has a great flow: Hell in a Bucket followed Iko Iko in a high energy opening. The somewhat overplayed Little Red Rooster features an insane, barn-burning organ solo from Brent, who tends to be an unsung hero and a strong source of the energy. The Let It Grow is a great highlight with some frenetic playing more characteristic of their playing 10 years prior.

The mix favors Phil’s bass well here and I think he generally kind of steals the show during a solid Scarlet Begonias->Fire on the Mountain that shows off his unorthodox style during an unusual transition. I don’t feel the need to go through the entire second set: it has nice, tight playing but doesn’t ever peak or get too adventurous. But I will say, surprisingly, that the slower songs—Standing on the Moon and Wharf Rat—are beautiful, soulful highlights. Same goes for the Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door encore.
6.5/10

Attached: CCDBE576-2128-4C85-B051-C4E576AB59B8.jpg (1218x1216, 270K)

>Shagrat - Lone Star (2001)

This is bizarre. Almost Kenneth Higney territory. It’s split halfway: the A side is psychedelic folk, the B side is acid rock, so don’t give up, which might be tempting to do. The psychedelic folk is extremely stripped down but written as if for an electric band, so something feels painfully lacking. It’s not helped by some pretty braindead vocals and baked ideas for songs. Totally primitive, totally hypnotic. The ideas come to true fruition on the B side with a full band. Teeters on this rare line between really bad and amazing.
7.5/10

>Mark-Almond - Rising (1972)

It might be very easy to hate this. It represents this form of sincerity that’s long out of vogue. First of all, it’s jazz rock, which may already have waves of detractors, though don’t assume that means anything elaborate or contrived. On the contrary, Jon Mark bares his heart here, backed by some loungy accompaniments. Progressive folk in a certain sense: all atypical and inspired but never challenging. It comes in this variety that carries no humor whatsoever, just pure sentimentality. So I must say bravo to a song like “Song for a Sad Musician,” which today might be lumped into the “naive” degree of expressionism. It’s all mellow but it takes some serious risks in that respect.
6.5/10

>Joanna Brouk - Hearing Music (2016)

On the topic of new age/minimalism/nature recordings crossovers. A lot of you guys might like this reissue from Numero Group. Pleasant, meditative, mostly solo piano.
7/10

>What I'm trying to say is I'm mildly stressed out and I can't afford to buy any wine to help me cope since I'm planning a train backpacking trip this summer.
what an unbelievably white problem to have lmao

The Venture Brothers is the best anime srry

When I broke up with my last gf, I realized I didn't like any of my friends at college anyways so I was fine with leaving the friend group ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bathed in Ghosts...

By The Dead Musician

>Post-World, DarkFolk, AvantWave

youtu.be/uxOE_CNYnLM

Attached: Aloy 2018.jpg (600x600, 110K)

can you not use words like post-world and avantwave please??

aha my friend you are mad

Any childhood tunes that really shocked you as a kid?

For me it was Free As A Bird. Dad bought the Beatles Anthology around '99 and I was mind0blown when I was told that it was a new song featuring vocals from a dead guy. It kinda felt like he was singing from his grave or something.

How about you /meme/?

Attached: mfw.jpg (200x200, 14K)

Eric Taxxon Punk is my favourite LP of 2018 so far probably, check it out
Drop the gf get with the flutist
I just listened to Keane over and over again as a kid

idk about songs
i found the music video to somewhere i belong p scary
and dont get me started on rock dj
chances are flutist gives good succ

Does anyone else have a rule where if you open the 5* list and see ABBA you close the tab

I keep scrolling, see AC/DC then decide enough is enough

i do that, but when i don't see abba

haha music

Attached: punk_animals_literally_all_of_them.jpg (1000x1427, 160K)

>I keep scrolling, see AC/DC then decide enough is enough
But AC/DC is the greatest minimalist rock band of all time, no?

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/odpoczno/odpoczno/
this is fun

Attached: 1516022913073.jpg (640x452, 101K)

Thin Lizzy is

Why do you post such awful polandballs

It's not Polandball, they're cancerous propaganda filled with Dreamworks face made by old Soviet cartoonists who want to be hip. Some got translated to English and people have been mocking them ever since because they're very petty and obnoxious (especially since a lot of them boil down to "You think your country is good? Russia has tanks and space program!"). They stopped making comics entirely because Russian anons kept making fun of them on their page (edits that portrayed Ukraine or Poland as good guys created a lot of butthurt among the artists too)
the original version of that particular comic was something like
>After NATO enters Estonia, we'll be talking down to you
>After something "enters" you, I don't think I want to be talking to you at all!

Attached: 1519972832097.jpg (1280x904, 162K)

Lmao

Attached: ayy.gif (127x189, 767K)

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/フィガー・ウィズ・ミート/-/
seeing her live is on my bucketlist. yr so lucky
correct. he's doin ambient business while saving up money for pop stuff.

Bumped Veteran up from 6+ to like 8, and it's aotysf for me

Really haven't listened to that much tho

Is there a site where he uploads these? They're amazing

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-03-23 at 3.52.27 PM.png (1128x1020, 376K)

Attached: ahhhh.gif (69x60, 29K)

Are you the dude who documented his excursion through Jim's discography on rym?

please stop ignoring my calls

Yeah for real don't think about the friend group, I know it's hard to do but that's not the focus. Think about the actual choice and make the decision based on those two people, not your friend group, because no one knows what will happen to that anyway

no u

Attached: 39D7C5BAC8874DE2B41009B0926A544A.jpg (749x1095, 231K)

Sam Prekops (of The Sea and Cake/played some in Tortoise) debut album is fuckin amazing and he produced it, the archive share link is dead so here U go -->
mega.nz/#!b7IkgJoB!cO6ja8f_MlV-WqbeoMQ_GsOJi5daZaDOQ4lZCY7coZc

Attached: cover.jpg (1600x1600, 2.33M)

The Goose is in it, so it can't be that bad.

Big thanks my man.

Neverending space music (that ends)

youtube.com/watch?v=tCmWQgnLEsM

I'm appriciating this, thank you user :)

blacksquares.bandcamp.com/album/im-desperate
angsty pop, weird-lewd vocal delivery, riyl: farrah abraham, salem, maybe xiu xiu, pretty cool stuff, probably not aoty material but since we've touched on that topic

Attached: Girls Rituals - Im Desperate - cover.png (1500x1500, 784K)

Since you appreciate it, here's Old Punch Card
mega.nz/#!qvglHSTR!C0fk4XH-AQ1F7xoEjHfeeDqNmkjGVn-EBMccm6wmaXg

and Who's Your New Professor
mega.nz/#!fyJSwYaQ!hmD-ge1wcr0fVQx5tdMypSSojy4ciwxkEshmLwG6GzQ

too! Enjoy ;)))

Girls Rituals is great :)

yep

I've been slightly considering doing the same with keiji haino