Post your favorite emo + emo subgenre albums itt and why you love them. I will be doing the same

Post your favorite emo + emo subgenre albums itt and why you love them. I will be doing the same

1/?
Cap'n Jazz-Analphabetapolothology/Schmap'n Schmazz:
Probably the pinnacle of the genre in my mind. Tim Kinsella has the best voice for the genre by far. It's whiny and he yells a lot but it's not overbearing and a perfect compliment to the music, which also the perfect emo instrumentation. Very loose and math-y but extremely skilled, almost virtuosic playing by everyone in the band. Jangly but not too much so, and shifts between extreme aggression to very soft and playful seamlessly. Great album

Attached: a1139886656_10.jpg (1200x1200, 92K)

Other urls found in this thread:

captainhollow.bandcamp.com/album/attic-demo):
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

2/?
Crash of Rhinos-Distal:
This album is one of the most beautifully emotionally charged things I've experienced. I love the winding song structure and the juxtaposition of extreme intensity and serenity and I love how all the members join in to sing. It's a very unique album in the genre but still definitely remains inside of it. It's a perfect record and one of my favorites of all time

Attached: a1243420985_10.jpg (1200x1200, 269K)

3/?
Modest Mouse-Sad Sappy Sucker:
One of the more unpopular Modest Mouse albums both in terms of reception and recognition, but it's one of my favorites. Their early albums definitely had a lot of emo influence/tendencies, but this and arguably This is a Long Drive are the only albums they made that I'd consider fully emo albums. SSS is one of the most fun records to listen to all the way through, and is very different for the band with no song being longer than 3:30 iirc. It's still incredible though and has some of my favorite lyrics of anything ever released, and has a very distinct midwest emo sound despite being recorded before Sunny Day Real Estate or Cap'n Jazz had ever released anything. Great record, extremely underappreciated

Bumped

Attached: Tigers Jaw.jpg (900x900, 93K)

Forgot the image on the last one, oh well
4/4
Owls-Owls:
Everyone from Cap'n Jazz except Davey came together again and recorded this midwest emo/math rock masterpiece. One of the most math-y and musically interesting emo records ever released and one of the most captivating to listen to. You can tell it's the same band as before but they've also definitely matured and honed their talents. Tim has never sounded better on any other record, Mike's drumming is out of control, and Victor's guitar parts are insane. I don't know if I've ever heard more intricate and complex guitar work that remained extremely pretty and melodic while doing so. It's one of the best records of the genre and even though I like Cap'n Jazz more, it's still incredible

That's all I got for now I'll be back later. Hopefully you guys share your favorites too, I'd love to talk about them and discover new albums

Attached: 783F11D7-6023-42F6-8200-FF29EED54EF6.jpg (1200x1200, 225K)

Pop punk emo has never been my favorite but this album is surprisingly good. I really wasn't expecting much when I listened to it but I really dug it. Nice trips btw

They haven't had a good album since Happy Hollow, ugly organ is overrated, and Domestica isn't as good as the earlier Cursive stuff. If anthologies are cool, this is their best release IMO. Icebreakers is the best song Tim has ever been involved in.

Attached: NewLPImage__86176.1431292773.600.600.jpg (600x600, 118K)

Wasn't sure if I would post a Dowsing album or a Joyce Manor album. Chose Joyce Manor because "Constant Headache" is almost describing the first time I had sex with a girl and how bad it ended up fucking me up at a time when I was just discovering emo and getting treated for my depression. Anytime this album comes on, once it gets to the end, I get extremely emotional and nostalgic

Attached: Joyce Manor.jpg (700x700, 73K)

Blasting this out my windows in the summer while driving down the freeway was one of the best parts of summer. Honestly I think about it a lot even when I don't listen to the album, it just brings me back.

if distal had luck has a name as the first track instead it'd be flawless.

Easily this, blows me away with how emotionally charged it is. I may not understand the lyrics but they are so powerful when combined with the music and Malcom and the Middle samples that it just becomes soul crushing and perfect.

Attached: Just Got Back From The Discomfort.jpg (300x300, 17K)

Algernon Cadwallader - Somekind of Cadwallader

Fuckin highschool days bros. Got to see these guys play at a barnhouse with a crowd of about 30 and it was amazingly awesome.

Attached: some kind of cadwallader.jpg (1200x1200, 624K)

This album is so good. One of the most daring and experimental records in the genre by far, and it's just brutal. You really get consumed by it and the band and Adam does such a good job to get you to feel what they're feeling

Anyone else have high school and emo linked in their heads? It's been mentioned in this thread by a couple posters. Like I just start to drift back to late summer between junior and senior year. Things were simpler but so much more complicated.

I've never really listened to Joyce Manor despite knowing a lot of people who dig em. I should definitely do that

absolutely. emo makes me think of roadtripping to delaware to see algernon cadwallader in 2007 or 2008. listening to bands like malegoat, cap'n jazz, snowing, Caveat, iwrotehaikusaboutcannibalsinyouryearbook, American Football, etc etc. highschool kinda sucked though so I'm glad to be out lol

Their early stuff is great almost-poppy emo, angry and motivated but sentimental, probably my favorite combination of typical emo feelings, just enough of the punch

Seeing Algernon live would be amazing, I've only been able to see Basement and The Front Bottoms (I know, barely counts, but I was with a bunch of girls and it was fun)

High school is such a complicated memory. I feel like I hated it then I'll rewatch Dazed and Confused and I'll feel like it was the best years of my life. I guess that's just the genius of Linklater though

I didn't really get too into emo until after high school. I listened to the classics like American football and what not but they didn't really stick with me and I didn't venture much deeper. Daniel Johnston was more my high school emo, but I didn't have a very orthodox high school experience I wouldn't say. I didn't talk to anyone and didn't do anything outside of the classes I was forced to take so nothing is really associated with that time except for nightmares and extreme anxiety triggers when getting anywhere near my old hs

generic choice but it's still the best imo

Attached: cover (2).jpg (300x300, 24K)

I mean I had some great moments when I was high school age I guess. and yeah too bad algernon broke up :(

I really wanna like this record but I just cannot stand the vocals. Every person I know who likes emo music adores it but I just can't. It bums me out

WHYYYYYYYYY CANT IIIIIIIIIII

SEEE THE SUNSPOTTTTTS IN YOUR EEYYYYYYYYYEEEESSSSSS

This thread is just full of incredible albums, good thread

>I didn't talk to anyone and didn't do anything outside of the classes I was forced to take
Same here.. but I would love to go back to see what my highschool looks like now. My company got to work on a remodel for my old school but the project was given to someone else and I didn't get to make any site visits ;_;
You forgot to quote Crash of Rhinos and just quoted the ones that are always meme'd.

That's easy when the genre is full of incredible albums. I hope so pimply 15 year old stumbles across this and discovers the same ideas I did at the time.

Its amazing, slightly underground genres like emo is one of the last true bastions of oral culture, even if the defintion of oral has changed to internet.

I used to feel the same about until I gave it enough tries
Also I'm listening to and it's great, thanks for the rec

Attached: a2583479612_10.jpg (1200x1200, 288K)

actually my favorite album ever
all these
i prefer parrot flies but great great band

Attached: Screen Shot 2017-06-05 at 2.06.31 AM.png (311x312, 47K)

I'll post this too. I don't know how I'd never heard this one until recently but damn is it good

Attached: On The Might Of Princes Where You Are And Where You Want To Be.png (1500x1500, 2.7M)

Haven't heard these, thanks for the recs

Sponge. Bob.

I get not liking the voice but I never heard spongebob in it

ITT: Bugman emo

explain?

5/?
Lync-These Are Not Fall Colors:
This record is insane. So so so fucking good. I don't have much to say about it but if you haven't heard it definitely check it out. One of the craziest and most interesting emo records of all time

Attached: a1794954597_10.jpg (1200x1200, 75K)

Sorry but its just soo good.
48 blew me away

Good shit guys

Attached: BDE36E32-35C0-49DC-80FE-5A01E493BAD8.jpg (300x301, 53K)

6/?
Moss Icon-Lyburnum Wits End Liberation Fly:
This record is so cool. One of the most art-y emo records and really took the foundation set by Rites of Spring and Embrace and ran with it, making it completely their own, but not so much so it becomes something completely different. Definitely my favorite band/record of the "emocore" scene

Attached: moss icon.jpg (600x600, 72K)

one of my favorite albums of all time, just didn't post it because I assume if anyone knows what emo is they know SDRE

7/?
Jeromes Dream-Completed:
This album fucking terrifies me for some reason and I can rarely ever listen to it, but man is it good. Probably the most intense screamo record I've heard, which makes it definitely the most intense emo record. It's brutal

Attached: R-2457832-1443182776-2326.png.jpg (600x600, 37K)

8/?
Captain Hollow-Attic Demo (captainhollow.bandcamp.com/album/attic-demo):
This is an album by a band I'd bet no one here has ever heard of. The owner of a record store I frequent turned me onto it. His friend was either the drummer or the bassist of this band and showed it to him and he told me that he got really obsessed with it and for a while it was one of his favorite albums of all time. I can see why, because it is really really fucking good. It's very rough and lo-fi, but full of passion and excellent songwriting. I wish more people knew about it. It's phenomenal

Attached: a0277665137_10.jpg (1200x1190, 351K)

Glocca Morra is godly
Do you like the bonus tracks, im partial to 9
So quotable
It sort of slumps in the middle but its so memorable

Attached: Best Buds.jpg (1200x1200, 163K)

Have you guys ever listened to this album alone in your car, driving in the rain?

This is music for that feel.

Attached: Cover.jpg (986x986, 448K)

DId anyone else listen to Ostraca, it fucks so hard

Attached: Last.jpg (1200x1200, 271K)

this album is divine

The Dream is Over is the hypest thing in the 10's

Yes. So atmospheric

Attached: The Dream is Over.jpg (1200x1200, 466K)

9/?
I Hate Myself-10 Songs:
I Hate Myself is somewhat of a controversial band I guess. I've heard people claim that they're "not real emo" and what not but that seems really ridiculous to me. Anyways this album is really damn good.
it's almost got the intensity of screamo but not so much that it's overwhelming, and has a lot of very pretty, calming sections to break up the intensity. I love the vocals on this release, they're really fantastic. This is a great album to get someone into more intense emo/screamo I think

Attached: a2220205671_10.jpg (1024x1024, 268K)

Yes to everything

Attached: 4 songs.jpg (360x360, 26K)

This album is great. There's a lot of emo, especially midwest emo, bands that combine the emo sound with post-rock, but I think this album does it the best. It's one of the most beautifully cold albums I've heard. It really gives off a really lonely, desolate vibe and I like it a lot. Reminds a bit of Spiderland in that way

Can someone explain to me "emo", i really don't get it in terms of genre. I mean you get some that are twinkly math rock, Folky, Pop Punk and then some borderline grindcore that sounds nothing alike. Which ones the actual emo, because they just can't be part of the same genre.

I mean you get charts that say something like top 5 emo albums and have something like

>Sunnday Real Estate - Diary
>Orchid - Chaos Is Me
>Weezer - Pinkerton
>My Chemical Romance - Three Cheers
>American Football - American Football

It makes no sense how any of these are classed in the same genre, It'd be like me saying here are my top 5 grindcore albums and including hip hop and folk albums in their.

emo started as a direct offshoot of post-hardcore with more emphasis on emotionally charged vocals and personal lyrics. Everything after that has evolved from the 1st wave of emo, now distinguished with the tag emocore as that's what it was originally called before being shortened to emo, in different ways.

There are 5 main genres of emo. There's emo, emocore, midwest emo, screamo, and emo-pop. The genre started with emocore like I said, which has a very distinct sound, as exemplified by bands like Rites of Spring, Embrace, and Moss Icon. It's a more straightforward sound still closely tied to hardcore, and the main focus is on the aggression and emotional, personal vocals and lyrics.

The next main style is emo, which is a more broad term that kind of encompasses a broader sound than the other genres, and can be used to describe most rock and punk inspired groups with very personal and emotional vocals and lyrics that don't fall under any of its subgenres. This is where you have bands like Brand New, Lync, Jawbreaker, etc.

The next style, and arguably the most popular, is midwest emo, which is kind of a combination of emo and indie rock. The genre is mainly characterized by whiny, strained, shouty vocals, twinkly sounding guitars, and a lot of emphasis on melody. It still definitely retains the experimental nature of post-hardcore though. The genre started with bands like Cap'n Jazz and Sunny Day Real Estate, that were still quite heavy and punk, but has evolved with bands like American Football and Mineral who took the twinkly melodic sound but shed the punk ethos. This then evolved into the next genre, emo-pop

Emo-pop started with bands that had previously made music characterized as midwest emo, but stripped it bare and gave it a very marketable, streamlined sound and structure. This sound is exemplified with bands like The Get Up Kids and Jimmy Eat World, that got really popular and led to the bastardization of the term emo.

Lastly, there's screamo, which took the exact opposite route as midwest emo and emo-pop. They took the original closely hardcore related version of emo/emocore and upped the ante. The emphasis is still definitely on the emotional and personal vocals/lyrics (I have really said that phrase a lot while writing this), but instead of making it more melancholic they made it much much more intense and in your face. Bands like Orchid, Jeromes Dream, Off Minor, etc. really kind of brought the genre back to its hardcore roots, and made the music a lot shorter, a lot more aggressive, and a LOT more intense.

I hope this explains it well. Basically emo started as a small sapling, but now it's a very large tree with a LOT of branches. Many bands have done their own thing with the genre and two separate extremes are nearly unidentifiable as similar, but they all came from the same place, and all retain the original focus of emotional vocals and personal lyrics

Thanks for the explanation, I was looking at interviews with bands like Jeromes Dream and Orchid all of which say they were just making punk and never even listened to emo music. I'm paraphrasing it was something along those lines. To me emo just seems like way too broad of a genre to be even considered a genre, since the separate styles you mentioned already have a genre.

Well it's the same thing with rock, pop, or even hip hop. They have a lot of subgenres and an extremely wide variety as to what the term can mean, but they're still rock/pop/hip hop/whatever

Emo died as soon as people started saying that emotional music has to sound like other music in the emo genre. All good music is emotional.

I like this one because I have bad taste

Attached: snowing.jpg (300x301, 18K)

These ones are favourites of mine too

Just want to thank OP for a great thread with a lot of great recs.

Not a seminal record like their Love it, Love it but I've been listening to Ruth by nana grizol, pretty enjoyable

Attached: ruth_Nana.jpg (1500x1500, 1.44M)

Even though this album is ultra edgy i love it so much.

Attached: empire empire.jpg (1200x1200, 199K)

it's pretty good, yeah

90's screamo

Attached: R-1461777-1366243745-9820.jpeg.jpg (600x600, 83K)

Great album
>Show it to my friends
>Nobody likes it

>tfw this album didn't click until I listened to it at the start of 2017 after finding adams singing too abrasive when it first blew up here
>tfw adam is almost completely indifferent to that project and has completely moved on
>tfw probably listened to it 100+ times last year
>tfw when it switches up at around 1:25 in the second track
>tfw the transition from the previous track to aubade
>tfw the first 20 seconds of floorboards
absolutely magic album
such a personal cathartic journey of those 1-2 years where every thing changes so quickly after highschool
but thats behind me now

for sure this one

because i'm from indiana and a nostalgic nerd

Attached: 57950.png (400x382, 242K)

Attached: cover.jpg (700x700, 96K)

THESE definitely
u just dont know how to have fun

who else here is hyped for new jeromes dream

no thanks

Pic related is what really got me started in the whole emo genre, I know some people call it screamo and they can't stand the vocals but it's just so emotionally charged and beautiful and I think it does a great job of encapsulating the aspects of emo, or at least most of them.

It was between this and which is also just a ridiculously good album and after having listened to it quite a number of times now, conceptually for me it's maybe one of my favorites of all time.
>music fades out and you just hear crunching footsteps and light talking.

good album but I prefer William Bonney over Merchant Ships.

it's nice being able to talk to people about this, none of my friends like this music

Attached: a3348066782_10.jpg (1200x1200, 92K)

Attached: 220px-Mansions_-_New_Best_Friends_(2009).jpg (220x220, 15K)

lmao i found out about this from the chick from i hate sex having an autistic meltdown on twitter about it
if you want to entertain yourself for half an hour search "jeromes dream" on twitter and watch all the skramz kids crying about ~selling out~