What is Sup Forums opinion on Sonic Youth?

Attached: B8B956AF-31C3-463D-98F9-0C3C4896BECD.jpg (386x381, 29K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=W7JncJYxN8E
thefall.org/news/pics/87oct31_nme/87oct31_nme.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Good
Now move on

This album is very underrated
Kim's vocals in I Dreamed I Dream turns me on

What he said.

Yes, this exactly. I love that she does a reprise of the lyrics on Massage The History

I like 'em.

Amazing band

Top tier

Incinerate is a nice song
so is Dirty Boots

They took A LOT of dirty money.

And their is propaganda in some of their songs.

They spread propaganda to this day.

Calling them sellouts isn't inaccurate.

Sister is the best album

Confusion is Sex is their best album

what kinda bengalfuel shit

a thousand leaves needs more love

have we reached peak contrarian?

What are you asking?

>They spread propaganda to this day.
Yup. My favorite was an interview with Thurston the other day where he let itbe known the real reason they signed with David Geffen was that they couldn't afford health insurance.

Kek, only took him30 years to remember that. Also love his recent album with a 'transgender' poet.

Don't trust everything these artists say and do real anons.

Not even, liking Confusion is Sex best isn't contrarian at all

But that's not EVOL :^)

They have like two good songs per album.
Confusion is Sex and the first half of Bad Moon Rising are fucking great tho.

>80s
One of the best bands of all time
>90s onwards
Meh

Literally the most overrated band of all time.

You should check out their SYR series, some of their best albums but I agree most of their main albums after the 80's are pretty forgettable with one or two highlights

very overrated

this guy knows what's up

thurston moore lives here in london now and i don't really get it, he's not a billionaire oligarch so I doubt he had enough money to get residency through buying expensive property so by what means did he get residency?

>caring about musicians opinions

Attached: 1506988626397.png (483x470, 185K)

This

They were industry plants

>le music video of a black guy fucking a white girl while she's bashing white men

art school mentality rock group. they miss the rhythm, the bass in his music. fall ripoffs. as mark e smith said thurston moore Moore should have his rock license revoked!

>fall ripoffs

Except that they don't sound nothing alike

Don't like the members aside from Shelley, otherwise though they are one of the greatest bands of their generation and on a quantity + quality basis arguably one of the greatest Anglophone bands of all time. Seriously though Thurston, Kim and Lee are a pack of conceited jerks.

Attached: 5446546.jpg (640x880, 515K)

Yeah SY were more influenced by actually good post-punk bands like PiL and Pere Ubu

Also
>they miss the rhythm, the bass in his music
youtube.com/watch?v=W7JncJYxN8E
>implying

>Except that they don't sound nothing alike
you need to explore both groups more
also pic relates

Attached: R-668910-1145575708.jpeg.jpg (600x602, 63K)

Lee isn't a jerk you just don't get his banter m8
Kim and Thurston seem annoying

did you hear the fall?

Yes, I'd probably put them at the very top.

the majority of their works miss the rhythm lesson, the group is more guitar oriented (those guys are cock rock, led zepellin secret admirers) and frequently the bass is inaudible missing so much thanks to a wall of guitar distortion. those guys didn't learn the lessons of rhythm associated with dub, reggae, the fall, krautrock, funk, hip hop, electronic music (tech-house). the group (pretty good, daydream nation and sister are one of the best eighties record) but like a lot of eighties american indie rock groups (replacements, dinosaur jr, fugazi, husker du, minutemen,, minor threat, black falg) they are pretty overrated. and also like a lot of indie rock darlings (pavement, pixies, sonic youth, steve albini) their musical scope is pretty limited to rock unlike someone like mark e smith that took lessons from other sources eg, hip hop, electronic music (techno, house, idm, jungle, drum n bass), reggae, dub, japanese music
>actually good post-punk bands like PiL and Pere Ubu
implying those groups are more relevant than The Fall

Attached: 1521775307110 (1).png (540x405, 620K)

are u into japanese culture (as me)? btw did you know the fall played in japan circa 1990 and also mark e smith praised asian pop music during an interview (pic related)

source:
thefall.org/news/pics/87oct31_nme/87oct31_nme.html

also the fall>sonic youth because as i've said
>and also like a lot of indie rock darlings (pavement, pixies, sonic youth, steve albini) their musical scope is pretty limited to rock unlike someone like mark e smith that took lessons from other sources eg, hip hop, electronic music (techno, house, idm, jungle, drum n bass), reggae, dub, japanese music

Attached: 1517858218307.jpg (766x652, 70K)

>Seriously though Thurston, Kim and Lee are a pack of conceited jerks.
you are right someone like mark e smith thought sonic youth were a bunch of art school twats

Fugazi, replacements and black flag aren't over rated, sorry pham

>rston, Kim and Lee are a pack of conceited jerks
why's that?

My favorite band desu. Very versatile across all their releases but always retained their identity. I don't love every album but I don't hate any of them.
This but with Bull in the Heather
I agree, it's in my top 5 for them
Yeah, everyone except Steve is an asshole but you gotta kill your idols anyway, I don't think they really wanted to be liked as people
Every interview I've ever watched of them, they're almost completely unbearable

This hurts my eyes to read

Watch Nardwuar's interview with Sonic Youth. I get that Nardwuar can be grating, but they really didn't have to treat him like that.

So they signed with Geffen so they could pay for health insurance. So fucking what?
How has that got anything to with selling out or 'dirty' money?