Watching buffy/Angel episodes from ~1999-2000

> Watching buffy/Angel episodes from ~1999-2000.
> No mobile phones usage whatsover
> Nokia 3210 was released in 1999

Has anyone noticed this meme? Mobile phones were extremely prevalent already at the era of the 3210. Were the scripts written in 1992 or something?

I'm sure they were written months before they aired.

It's not like there were no phones before. I know the 3210 era well. There was nobody above the age of 17-18 without a phone already.

Really? In 1999-2000 everyone had cutting edge technology?

Social trends that happen in reality often aren't translated properly into fiction for a couple of years, for loads of reasons.
Your methods for writing episodes and telling stories will be a couple of years old, especially for a long running show like Buffy/Angel and so wont factor in recent changes, not to mention the last thing you want to do is have everyone break out an N-Gage only for them to go out of style 5 minutes before the episode airs.

People didn't have them out all the time because apart from calls and sms all you could do was play Snake

This
People weren't dicks about them like they are today

I bought that phone in 2002.

Pretty much this. I had this phone in about 1999 when I was 15 and thought I was hot shit, as no-one else had one. Then I still had it about 2 years later, at which point everyone else had Nokias so I looked like a wanker.

I still use this one

ou don't know shit you fucking faggot.

>you now realise any real world drama set after 2012 won't be realistic unless all the characters are fiddling with their phones in every scene

>GET ME EVERYTHING ON THE BLACK LOTUS KILLER, NOW
>[Booming electronic music plays as a character scrolls through his phone]

Back then it was mainly White people with money that had cellular phones.

You never saw a nigger with a cellphone until the mid-00s.

Good stuff Sup Forums

Matrix is nokiacore

Angel had a cell phone

lol

Mobile phones weren't widespread until the early to mid 2000s.

Signed, an actual oldfag

and he fucking hated it

he really wasn't into modern technology

Angel had a phone and a running joke was that he couldn't work it

Maybe in your third world shit country.
Over here, mobile made a breakthru in mid-90s among the working stiffs, kids got on the bandwagon before the turn of the century.

I can't speak for the USA, but as someone who is now 26, here in the UK almost nobody had a mobile phone until about 2003-2004, and even then texting was too costly to do frequently (mainly on the bus to and from school).

It wasn't really until the iPhone jumpstarted the smartphone craze people started getting monthly contract deals that mobile phone usage because hugely popular.

I can remember in 2004 if I wanted to go out with my friends that night, I would either call them on the landline for like 2p a minute (off-peak after 6pm nigga) or just go knock on their door in person. Based on that, I'd say Buffy was pretty accurate for '98.

Cellphone culture was a Japanese thing until ~2005-6. They didn't have much traction in the west beyond utilitarian usage.

>I was born at the very end of the 90s, but what I read on wikipedia or some idiotic blog carries the same weight as the words of an eye witness

That appears to be 1x13. It did not exist before. I guess they wrote some episodes very early into buffy.

You are a moronic shit. The 3210 sold 150,000,000 pieces all over the western world. It was a fucking meme like no other of its kid.

Are you stupid? The 3210 was released in 1999 and sold 150,000,000 pieces. The 3310 which completely replaced it and nobody was buying 3210 anymore was only 1 to 2 years later.

I remember our nanny always had one of these and was fidgeting around with it, was shortly after modems became commercially available on a wide scale i think

I also remember the magazine advertisements for those black and white sprite animation things which you had to pay money via SMS for lel

finland was the first place where mobile phones got popular early on, japs were pretty much second and then more nordicks and then the rest of the western world

You're a fucking moron or from Mexico then, phones were commonplace for teenagers by 1998 and professionals before that.

Bullshit, poorfag

>eyewitness
LOL, fuck off captain autismo

>The 3210 sold 150,000,000 pieces all over the western world.

>sold 150 million all over the western world

I'll assume by "western world" you mean USA, Canada, and Europe. In 1999, the populations of those areas looked like this:

USA: 279,000,000
Canada: 30,500,000
Europe: 728,934,000

That gives us a total population of 1,038,434,000 for "The western world" circa 1999. That means roughly 14% of people owned that cell phone in 1999, assuming 100% of sales were made on or near launch AND that not a single one of those sales was to a person who already owned it and needed a replacement.

14% of all people in the western world IS A TINY MINORITY. And that minority is SPREAD across FIFTY COUNTRIES.

Cell phones didn't actually get to the point of most people having one until the early 2000s. It wasn't until I was in high school that anyone I knew had a cell phone, and even then it was only a few people. They were definitely not so mainstream that they would have been fully incorporated into a fucking TV show about teenagers in 1999.

Stop pretending like you remember things when you were clearly a teeny tiny baby who just looked that shit up recently and drew a bunch of false conclusions.

I'm from Greece and literally everyone had a 3210 by the age of ~18.

Your problem is that you have no idea of the culture at that time. You count babies and old ladies in that statistic you made up as "irrelevant".

I lived in that era as a university student.

We all had 3210s and later 3310s.

>Putting this much work into a fucking Sup Forums argument

But Buffy is about high schoolers, not university students.

>tfw qts were so impressed of my ringtone composer skills
I was the Bach and Mozart of the 3310 goddamnit. Where did it all go wrong.

I don't really remember mobile phones being mainstream until 2001.

Before that, it was a luxury item of the rich. You'd have that gag in movies where a ring tone goes off and all the rich people answer their cell phone.

>only watched the first 3 seasons of a 7 season show

>can't read or do math well enough to know that OP is commenting on episodes from seasons 3 and 4

yea all these dont remember the days of Home and Roam areas...where your Home area was like the size of your town, and if you were outside of it on Roam you didnt use your phone becuase it was like $3.00 a minute.
People had them, but they only used them for emergencies or very sparingly. It wasnt until they started relaxing the roaming agreements around 2001+ that phone starting being more mainstream

Not everyone grew up in Finland.

Being Finnish I got my first cellphone in 1998 I think?

People really aren't that aware that the US was significantly behind with cell phones up until the introduction of the iPhone

Is everyone in Finland unemployed now that Nokia is obsolete?

>season 4
>when they were university students

I started high school in 2000 and graduated in 2004. I didn't start seeing widespread cellphone usage until sophomore year.

>People really aren't that aware that the US was significantly behind with cell phones up until the introduction of the iPhone

This. Cell phones took FOREVER to catch on here.

>Nokia is obsolete

They may not sell handsets but they are far from obsolete. Nokia is one of the best run tech companies in the world right now.

mainly because the US is so fucking massive getting towers up everywhere took a long time.

>No mobile phones usage whatsover

what this guy said

>Has anyone noticed this meme?
Shut the fuck up faggot

Yeah, that combined with the average American traveling pretty far on a regular basis meant that cell phones didn't make sense for someone just because there was coverage in their city because they also needed good coverage in the city where they work and the city where they visit family. And some of those might be as much as 50 miles apart and in different states. So it didn't make sense for anyone but rich businessmen for a very long time and didn't really explode until just before and around the time the iPhone hit.

Do you live in Botswana,?

>Nokia is obsolete

Rewatching Buffy S1 now, in one episode Giles laments Buffy isn't carrying a cell phone so he can warn her about something.

They really did that drop off the building shot several times and used the same phone each time

xD

They probably did, because the actual drop was most likely a couple feet onto a green floor and the rest was CGI based on that short fall.

I had this in 2003 I think.

Because cellphones back then are mostly used for office purposes like spreadsheets

had a casio like that once, entered dozens of contacts in contact list, a few weeks later it resets itself, losing all data. re-enter them, a week later same thing. shove it in a drawer and haven't seen it since

3210 is literally a memephone enough that in this day and age, people meme the fuck out of it being an indestructible force of reckoning cause of how tough it is.

It's 90's kids: the phone.