Silence

How the hell is this out of theaters already?

I missed it last week and wanted to see it tonight, but it is not playing anywhere in the entire Boston area. Boston with all its Catholics you think would still have showings still. The nearest showing is RI.

Instead we got two showings of Passengers, two for Why Him, three for Monster Trucks, and five for Live By Night which bombed.

Live By Night was empty when I went to see it. I foolishly fogired it would be gone quickly due to bad buzz. Yet somehow Silence was gone first despite Scorsese and Oscar buzz.

I hope a second run / art house one I saw Manchester By The Sea at gets it soon.

I think one or two theaters in Boston proper had it before the wide release, but it only got around here in that wide release last week.

because its a boring awful piece of shit

Download Kodi then install Exodus.

die

Spotted the underage faggot

It's a shame this bombed in the box office because I really fucking enjoyed the audacity of this film. Scorcese seems to have made the exact film he wanted. He didn't care about the length, the weird moments (mostly the jesus scenes), or the accents. His passion is so evident in every scene. It's a brutal, practically joyless, and tedious film and I loved every frame of it.

Actually it's really good. Fuck you redditor

went to see this 2 weeks ago and.... fell asleep not once but fucking TWICE while watchin it. Its not bad its just that its so slow and... immersion is weak in it and you really feel those 3 hours go slow.

it's a decent film, but it really is slow and dull especially after the halfway point

Although some people here clearly think that just because a film is slow it's instantly deep ro meaningful. Stalker is slow and amazing, Silence is slow and uninteresting.

Scorcese has been wanting to made an adaptation of Silence for like 30 years now, so yeah it was a movie he primarily made for himself.

nah its just japfags and ken-samas jerking off to japanese setting

It was really weird seeing Scorcese going back to "serious" movies.

It's a really hard film to get into, only saw it once for now, I did not love it but really really liked it and I think it will get better on multiple viewings.

I do understand people not liking it, it's really "raw" and unforgiving.

I'm thinking of rewatching The last temptation of christ before Silence.

I am traveling to another city this week just to see this movie.

I think we all knew that the plebs have been overwhelming the theaters over the last few years but I have never seen the situation so dire. I live in a smallish city but the couple of big theaters we have used to play some good shit if only for a week or two, that kind of thing seems impossible now. Silence didn't even come to my city while stuff like Monster Trucks and A Dog's Purpose got a couple of weeks of playtime. It's absolutely ludicrous. Theater owners know that the mass of plebs won't go to these movies and they can make more money by playing the most awful garbage out there, which is most of Hollywood. Sad fucking times.

just go see Monster Trucks you fucking pleb

I'm pretty lucky since I live within walking distance of two indie theaters and a chain theater that always has at least a couple of smaller arthouse movies in its lineup, even then Silence was only screened for a couple of weeks. It feels weird having a Scorcese movie generate so little interest.

I don't think i liked it

>no i wont repent
>oki do repent
>lol jk

I have always been fascinated about the Jesuits in Japan. I remember studying about Saint Francis Xavier and Jesuits in Japan in Catholic school and finding it amazing. I am not even Catholic.

When do I install Gentoo?

I really didn't give a fuck about the accents. I guess for some people it's a big deal but besides the Japanese sounding kind of stereotypical when they speak english toward the beginning I got used to it and could easily look past it.

Which is strange because the whole movie was fairly anti-Japan.

Eh, I disagree. I think at first they're presenting as relentless and genocidal but by the second half I totally got where they were coming from. They're cultural perspective on the world is and always has been SO different from the European that any efforts towards Christianizing just wouldn't work. I liked that they blatantly said "this evangelizing either is or has to potential for colonization so we're not letting it fly." I think they were totally in the right compared to the Jesuites who were so short-sighted, especially Garfield's character who always responded with "but the bible is TRUE!!!"

I don't think the torture or genocide was the correct course of action, but I had no problem with where the Japanese were coming from.

Probably because it tanked in the box office. It's the best film of 2016 though.

Literally kill yourself you pirating faggot, you are a cancer to the film industry.

Thats too bad.

It doesnt come out till march over here.

So I had no choice but to stream it.

I wasn't being serious, and honestly I didn't even bother watching this movie. Although, having read the book years ago, I definitely felt that the story was about the horrors of religious intolerance, which can be applied to any country on the planet, not just Japan, and in a broader sense was a critique on religion in general.

The theater I saw it in only shows it at 10:15 pm all week. Not many people are going to want to see an almost 3 hour movie like this that late at night.