Someone red pill me on remasters

Someone red pill me on remasters.

Attached: Obey-your-Remaster-of-Puppets.jpg (1920x1080, 737K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5bYXb7iEDJ4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

makes old albums sound nice and loud on apple earbuds

Good if you're like me and you listen to a good mix of old and new music, so that when you go back to some older stuff it's not too jarring because of older mixing techniques and practices that might make the music sound more dated nowadays.

The remaster of Pretty Hate Machine is excellent, completely changed the way I hear that album.

Usually adds a lot of superfluous shit you don't care about and fucks up the mix by making everything as loud as possible. Worthless trash.

the metallica remasters are pretty well done. Sometimes old cds are sourced from inferior tapes and not the master tapes. Sometimes they have issues, like drop outs.

they mastered a recording again for re-release. easy money $$$

they're compressed shit. never listen to remasters, the old one is better 99% of the time and won't make your ears bleed

whos lying?

>increase loudness
>add reverb
>throw in some demos as bonus tracks
>sell it as remastered

Attached: 1503253687874.gif (132x140, 58K)

this. sometimes the eq is tweaked for the better but it's always the fucking compression.

It depends on how well something is remastered whether it's worth buying or not imo.

A good example of a remaster would be Nine Inch Nail's Pretty Hate Machine (the 2010 one.) This is an album renowned among even its most ardent fans for having an overall sound that sounds dated relative to today. But the 2010 remaster added overdubs to certain parts, spaced out the mix so more of the individual parts can be heard, and greatly changed the velocity of individual hits so the music has a more dynamic, detailed, and less overall dated feel to it.

A terrible example of remasters would be Megadeth's Rust In Peace. Some of the vocals were rerecorded as Dave couldn't find the original masters of those parts, and lets just say that Dave's voice in 2004 wasn't at the level it was in 1990. Not only that, the album ups the bass too high, to the extent where it starts to overpower the guitars or clash with them rather than having them work together with the guitar to create one massive tone. The guitars themselves are compressed to the extent where they lose a lot of their rawness; while having a cleaner sound isn't often inherently bad in metal (it can lead to chunkier chuggy sounds), taking it to an extent where the sense of dynamics gets lost is perhaps too far, which was the case here.

Fuck the MoP remaster/rerelease, squeezing a 55 minute album onto one 12". No matter how good the remaster is, too much fidelity is lost.

All the Judas Priest remasters were pretty terrible and all of them were brickwalled to hell and back.

depends who (engineer / record label) is behind them, honestly

Question: Is the Selected Ambient Works 85-92 remaster better?

Attached: cover.jpg (1043x1049, 158K)

It just depends on who does the mastering. Most just up the volume and call it a day.

I haven't heard the NIN remaster but I agree about the Megadeth remasters. It's not just Rust in Peace either, although that's probably the worst. He even changed the lyrics in Five Magics. Also the drum sounds are completely different and not as good as on the original albums.

Attached: Stiker.jpg (1600x1282, 990K)

overrated trash either way

>the old one is better 99% of the time
Really not true unless your talking vinyl rips
Most early CD masters are trash and the remasters that came about in the mid to late 90s are usually not only good but actually necessary

Raw Power [Columbia Legacy, 1997]

Lo-fi snobs and strict constructionists have charged Iggy with making a mockery of history and a priceless work of art by remixing his own album. This is really stupid. Long before the original side-openers-plus-filler-job was anointed as the Platonic ideal of rock and roll by desperate young men who didn't have a lot else to choose from, first generation Iggyphiles just as indignantly accused David Bowie of watering down the mix (as Iggy observes in the liner notes, the original sounded "weedy", although so as to not insult a valued colleague, he also calls it "very creative"). Now with the pumped bass and vocals Iggy has uncovered on the original tapes, plus you can finally hear the celesta on "Penetration"--great. Only strict constructionism stands between a remix and a priceless work of art. A-

Attached: christgau68050.jpg (970x667, 80K)

the megadeth re-releases arent remasters though

>I'm not gonna respond to his question with anything meaningful, I'm just gonna make a blanket statement denouncing a popular album as overrated to make myself look cultured

Christgau and Iggy must both be suffering hearing loss from decades of listening to loud music to think that remix of Raw Power was even remotely ok.

i could care less for the most part, deluxe versions and bonus tracks annoy me sometimes though

[spoiler]the Stooges were a shit band with zero good albums, Iggy Pop's best work is Lust For Life which is basically a David Bowie project with someone else singing[/spoiler]

not an argument. aphex twin is garbage. deal with it

>"Re-issue! Re-package! Re-package!
>Re-evaluate the songs
>Double-pack with a photograph
>Extra track (and a tacky badge)"

so true

youtube.com/watch?v=5bYXb7iEDJ4

Attached: tumblr_oq0b0j0yB61w82gxko1_500.jpg (500x672, 71K)

also
>"Best of! Most of!
>Satiate the need
>Slip them into different sleeves!
>Buy both, and feel deceived"

Attached: 1519272539957.jpg (680x595, 56K)

Best answer

Low quality b8.

dead serious, never fucking liked Raw Power, I've attempted to listen to it many times and it's completely bland and shit. I feel the same way about it I feel about Songs About Fucking, people just say they like the album to look cool, not because the music is remotely good or interesting.

The modern day equivalent of a digitally remastered Jabba the Hutt

hot opinion, retard.