US Soccer rebuilding

How do we rebuild after this?

-Fire Arena and Gulati
-Establish a national non-profit youth academy system tied to MLS, NASL, and USL teams
-Provide free regional coaching seminars for youth league volunteer soccer coaches
-Have MLS, NASL, and USL teams provide more in-depth training camps free for High School coaches and players in their markets
-Invest in college soccer development as a scouting ground for pro teams

Give a parent the choice bewteen their kid having a free shot at the NFL through high school and college, and getting to pro soccer through $10,000 per year academy clubs, and they'll choose American Football every time.

The greatest striker on planet earth could very well be an American, except he's probably a free safety on the Browns' practice squad and he quit playing soccer in high school.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/G3kvdnvt_qQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Really need to take advantage of the fact that football is out of vogue, especially with mothers.

Free academies would be a good thing.

Fuck college soccer, we need to get kids to big European clubs before age 20.

Not having youth categories and instead using the assretarded college system is a sure way of never developing a class player

Also the team sports you excel in are almost exclusively about athleticism, if trainers use the same method for footy they're handicapping their players' growth even further

lmaoing @ sawker fans. I literally went out with some friends so i could see the my fat fuck "friend" from high school. Dude started talking his shit and when i brought this up goddam the look on his face. it was priceless. That being said our best athletes are niggers and their culture revolves around basketball and football. White men and mexicans are into baseball. Soccer is like 4th maybe. soo yeah.

Maybe that was Chad Ochocinco

basketball, baseball and the most sought-after positions in gridiron are not exclusively about athleticism.

let kids learn how to play football in the streets, that's the only way to raise a generation of champions

The truth is we have grown.
We have the most talented group weve ever had.

Yes we need to change pay to play with youth.

however the issue seems to me like its our star players being entitled.

that's illegal in the usa

>fucking FOOTBALL is a rich kid sport in the us
wew

Improving American sawker and improving the MLS are contradictory goals

lol it really is dude.
rich parent want their kids to play for the best teams with the best coaches.
so private soccer clubs accept players via pay checks

It's a rich kids sport in the sense that all the poor people play basketball, baseball and football because it pays better if you get into the majors.

This is similar to England by the way, the better the PL gets, the worse we do.

>the cheapest sport to play is for the rich in the usafat
ay lol

Firing people won't help. Nothing will fix this.

It boggles the mind.
All you need to play football is a soda can or something else you can kick around.

France is doing a fine job promoting black athleticism as a way to win. The problem is that American blacks don't like soccer.

I meant that there's an emphasis on being fast and strong, those sports are heavy on hiit and lifting weights. A good chunk of top football teams don't do anything other than playing football and training plays. Methodically it's very different to basketball and your football

>How do we rebuild after this?
You don't. Just play and watch US football.

How are they suppose to make good players with a shit league? I mean, we can make it happen, but that's because Football is part of our culture.

really?

Eh, its different than the PL.
MLS has deepened the US pool significantly.
and as MLS expands to like 35 teams eventually, it will only help with finding talent.

Issue currently is not enough of our players are leaving MLS.
theyre getting too comfy.
now obviously one day soon MLS will be a top 4 league in the world, but it isn't yet.

However,
MLS has made central America and the Caribbean Much stronger.
that makes the Hex much more difficult.
and in fairness the Hex is significantly more difficult than people give credit

Reads like a Trump tweet lel

>France is doing a fine job
We suck. There's no fine job there.

This is true, unlike Basketball and Handegg you can just start playing Football in the High School and at a "professional" level at College, by then it would be just too late.

>one day soon MLS will be a top 4 league in the world, but it isn't yet.

Trump mastered the art of tweeting

Really? Are you that naive?
You don't think money gets you anything into world?

If MLS isn't a top 5 league in 8 years, it will be an abject failure.

just hire an argie coach, like the rest of the american NTs

Soccer is dead here. This was the final nail in the coffin

>now obviously one day soon MLS will be a top 4 league in the world, but it isn't yet.

Lower your expectations, seriously. China spends way more money in their meme league and still no one takes it seriously.

>Issue currently is not enough of our players are leaving MLS.

Yeah this is a problem in the PL as well. More English players need to take the leap and move abroad.

Well look at MLS and the PL, they're both leagues that are better than their National Team relatively. That's not a good thing. The best national sides have relatively worse club leagues.

The problem with trying to apply Europeans methods to this American problem is culture. Youth development is viewed as a function of the school system. This is why parents are dumbfounded at the prospect of paying thousands of dollars to a club for their kids to play in. "Why would I pay money for my kid to play soccer when he can play football and basketball for free and get a college education and better pay in the pros out of it?"

The OTHER edge of that sword, though, is the level of coaching and training outside the academy clubs. If you don't want to pay for an academy, you basically only have rec leagues and high school soccer. Rec leagues are largely seen by parents as day care coached by somebody's dad who took a five minute online course in soccer coaching. High school soccer is seen as a glorified after school program for Mexicans coached by whichever teacher wanted the extra $50 per month for coaching.

Cont'd

Pardew in

>Change the MLS system
>Kill that conference faggotry
>Turn U-SOMETHING teams mandatory for all clubs
>Promotion/relegation system ASAP
>Stop buying old and decadent players and start aiming on the 18yo argies from River Plate or Boca Juniors

Why would we want to? Soccer is even more boring then Football

This.

Haha not a chance guys.
Read some sports marketing books.
This one comes down to simple math.
Look at what we've done with a 30 million dollar salary cap.
The owners have tested the water with the Beckham, Henry, Villa, etc moves, and have relaized their returns on investment.
MLS has taken the best of America, then they took central America, they just started on Mexico, and now they're hitting south American youth.
They're about to sell almiron for 30 million a year after getting him.

Our sports markets are enormous.
Our advertising money is just stupid.
Our cities are safe and pretty and famous.
Our owners are rich as hell.
Our infrastructure and facilities are top class.

Top 4 league.
8 years away.
Hell we can become a top 5 league in 3 years if we doubled the salary cap tomorrow.

>implying I wouldn't rather watch 2 hours of commercials then watch 90+ minutes of a probable scoreless game
It seems that having heart attacks on the field is more common then scoring.

and yet, you have no prestige

You should start playing la Libertadores

Maybe when Los Angeles Galaxy defeats Boca Juniors, people will take the MLS seriously

>probable
>only 7% of games are 0-0

MLS will never be top if they don't put in relegation and actual youth academies.

they have youth academies
i've yet to see any depth to the relegation argument.

yes, gaining history takes time.
and we probably will jump in libertadores in 5 year or so, we're not ready for that yet.

but the main point was that at the moment we purposely limit our selves for infrastructure purposes.
the failure of the original NASL caused us to make MLS move at snails pace.
it has really really worked out.
We can make a major rule change tomorrow (salary cap) and it would dramatically change everything.

>players not used to playing under pressure
>surprised they coke against Trinidad and Tobago

>only
Hardly any games end in ties in any other sport.

Because they have tie-breakers like coin-flipping in the SuperBowl. A league system doesn't need a tie-breaker. Knockout soccer tournaments do have them.

no.
relegation wont work for quite some time.

you have to understand more about ownership investing and franchise valuation.

IF we were to go to relegation, we would have to make MLS 35 teams or so.. keep it that way for 15 to 20 years, then divide into MLS1 and MLS2.
Quite some time away though.

most of us that actually watch the sport arent surprised.
even some of the players that play in Europe dont necessarily have the pressure on them that is needed to make them act liek the give a fuck during every game.

They don't though, at least not like European ones. They're not nearly as intensive or well funded.

Relegation breeds competition. Leagues here don't want it because it fucks over their investment.

Eventually, a proper youth development system with free academies run by pro teams will be the way to go, but in the meantime we need to raise the profile of youth soccer in the US, and that will only happen if we make soccer work in American sporting culture. Kids are not going to develop talent playing in the street unless they actually play in the street. The reason they choose to play basketball, football, and baseball in the streets and at the park is that's what their heroes play. Until US Soccer produces talent and results that actually gets people interested in soccer, the rec leagues will be the first encounter for most kids and parents with soccer.

How do we make that work? If we can provide real coaching training to these volunteer coaches and encourage rec departments to require the training, we can raise the level of training and competition our kids are exposed to. This will not produce world class youth talent, but it will provide better education and training than the kids currently get, and it will show parents that soccer is a serious pursuit and not simply daycare.

The high school level is an important step towards professional development. It needs to be seen as a viable option for student athletes to get into college and eventually a career, and that will not happen until they get proper coaching like their baseball, football, and basketball counterparts do. Providing coaching training and training camps for players will further raise the level of talent and experience among our youth players and provide a richer environment for both college and academy scouts. Additionally, these camps and training sessions can be provided by professional teams to schools in their own markets, which further engages them with their own communities and builds their fanbases.

>coin flipping
>tie breaker
>being this retarded
That only applies to Football anyways, and usually both teams get at least one chance to score.

what are you talking about pressure? We have playoffs in MLS, there's plenty of pressure in the playoff race then in the knockout stage. Many of our most culpable players who fucked up in qualifying play in pro/rel leauges btw.

that post was an example of the bullshit being thrown about on the topic btw. what i can guarantee you is this: owners of clubs/franchises won't be willing risk nearly as much in up-front investing (in things like academies, or multiple years of NOLs on payroll) if their revenues are going to be made far less certain by the chance of relegation.

Agreed.
there is also something to be said about how difficult CONCACAF really is.
criminally underrated every cycle.

Not really. There's already a second league and third league here.

>I'm a retard and know absolutely nothing The post.

Top tier players such as myself can play in academies for free. My highschool was also coached by a former cosmos player/college all star who while though obviously wasn't Zidane or some shit, was still a very very good coach.

I assume you live in some flyover state no where near the ocean right?

They are doing free academies now, though its relatively new.
in this way MLS will really help US soccer.

We're the richest country on earth, why can't we just buy out a superstar coach?

>about how difficult CONCACAF really is
uh I mean it is more difficult than the perception is, but no team like USA should be struggling against any of these small island nations

Draws make sense in league football

ballkick is so fucking lame.

youtu.be/G3kvdnvt_qQ
This is a u-20 Championship.

Ditch the stupid draft system and form 2nd/3rd division leagues and instate relegation and promotion so US players start to know what real pressure feels like.

I know, but that wont work dude.
like I said, its unrealistic.

the only way to do it is the way I just mentioned.

you have to understand that taking on debt to make an MLS team was smart for our owners due to franchise valuation.
owners wont vote to fuck with relegation and risk their teams "not being major league" for quite sometime.

that doesn't offer any sort of support for the argument.

We won't hire a non American again for a least another 9 years. Klinsmann was deemed a failure by media and people in the USSF angling for the job themselves, so that is how many others will see it. We'll just recycle some other MLS coach with ties to the current leadership, or maybe a former player and it'll be the same cycle of mediocrity repeated.

How can that really work without a system in Europe of multiple divisions and local clubs everywhere that are somewhere in the pyramid?

gulati is going to lose presidency next year. overhaul incoming.

so just bypass the MLS completely

You are the exception. I live in California. Our soccer coach was a civics teacher who had never played soccer until he started coaching. Our team won the Trans Valley League two years in a row, basically by letting the Mexicans do whatever they wanted.

I guess you have to lose the idea that clubs have to be multi-million dollar franchises.

US deserves the blame yes.
But I think even they underestimate Concacaf squads.

but Mexico and CR are consistently top 15 teams in the world when push comes to shove. So is the US, when it matters.
We get 3 and a half spots, that leaves no room for error.
factor in going to Honduras or panama, or Guatemala, or even Trinidad.
people fucking with your fields, your hotel rooms, fan atmosphere, shit weather..
factor in the new age of organized defensive line ups, and how MLS has trained each of these teams to become even better..
not easy.

Which would be stupid to do; really, the US needs to start looking towards Italy or Spain for coaching candidates. I feel like the US would actually prosper under a coach from one of those nations.

Relegation pressure and glory pressure aren't the same thing at all. One is to avert a disaster, the other you either win a title or did a good job anyway.

You cant. MLS is the best thing going in US soccer.
it dramatically improves every year.
The owners are our strongest allies.

careful. an internationalal coach who doesn't understand MLS or the region of CONCACAF and their type of players will fail.

I would chase Tata Martino.
he understand MLS after being in it for a year

that's why national teams are typically full of guys on bottom-of-the-table club teams?

stop.

And let me ask, what was your first exposure to soccer? If it was some academy thing, you were definitely the exception. If it was a local rec league thing (as it is for most kids), just imagine how good you'd be if you had recieved proper youth coaching instead of basically being babysat for a few hours on saturdays.

we have like 5 or 6 pro or semi-pro divisions in a type of pyramid, but there is no relegation or promotion and the leagues are operated by multiple different organizations. The entities exist, it's just that they were implemented by idiots trying to replicate the NBA instead of having the forethought of making a natural league system.

How does understanding the MLS matter? Bruce Arena coached in it for decades and still kept picking guys 10 years past their prime or just completely missing out on or ignoring better MLS players.

>Romero
>Mercado
>Otamendi
>Acuña
>Biglia
>Di Maria
>Enzo Perez
>Benedetto
>Dybala
>Mascherano (in West Ham)

They all experienced relegation battles in their careers. Messi is literally the only exception, and Messi isn't a normal playet.

>How do we rebuild

We don't. US Soccer culture is insufferable, full of hipsters and arrogant douche bags who get inflated egos because they don't compete against the best athletes in the country who are all busy with Football and Basketball.

this explanation is such a stretch that I can't believe you are clinging to it.

the best players don't always begin their careers at the top of the league on the best teams. experience of pressure is a good thing, certainly better than coasting around the MLS and collecting a comfy paycheck without ever needing to improve yourself.

>HURR NO PLAYER IN THE NATIONAL TEAM EXPERIENCES A RELEGATION BATTLE
>gets proven wrong, almost literally all of them did
Stay ignorant

I wouldn't necessarily agree, but someone who has MLS experience, or at least an understanding of the wacky rules of the league, would be a plus. I think the MLS has a few quality players and every year, the caliber of players coming up gets better and better. However, this reliance on the old guard and refusal to bleed younger players is always a joke.

I get why Dempsey is there, even Bradley, because they're part of that old guard who deserves to be there (even though Bradley fucks up majorly on occasion), but why Besler, Howard, Gonzalez, Feilhaber, etc. There are younger, better MLS players to choose from, and if you're going to choose an older MLS player, why not one of the better ones?

Brooks - Cameron was clearly the superb backline, and Brooks was injured; so why not bring in Miazaga or Opara, for example. Bruce is just retarded

>MLS is 90% foreign players

i wonder if that impacts anything... hmm....

Like who dude?

The talent selection was not the issue.
Roldan isn't as good as Dax
Agudelo isn't as good as wondolowski.
etc etc

MLS has almost no US players

It's pretty easy
>force every team to have a youth sector (where young players get to train/play for FREE)
>establish youth league between said youth teams
>import coaches from europe and south america en mass to teach not only to young players but young coaches too
>stop overpaying old decaying stars and start poaching from south america like the rest of the world.

i was cool with besler but the rest of the old guard can fuck off

it's barely relevant, retard, even assuming you are correct in asserting that playoff qualification and knockouts are a "different" type of pressure than relegation battles.

Moreover, going through relegation battles 9 years earlier as a youth player isn't exactly great preparation for world cup qualification. You're just straining to make a point that's not there. Especially since I pointed out that our worst players play in pro/rel leagues and you didn't address that whatsoever.

>Running the MLS like an "American" Sports league

That is part on he problem. The "Play-Offs" shouldn't exist. There is no need to do that. A Champion should be crowned at the end of the season similarly to how leagues around the world work, by encouraging consistency. Not by being able to weasel your way into the top whatever and using memes to best other teams.

Another thing. "Franchises" , these teams need to not be run the way the NFL is run. The owners of the teams here should be injecting money into the teams in order to build FREE academies for children, and fucking kill the NCAA college draft crap. It doesn't work for the sport. It works fine in Basketball and the NFL, not for soccer.

Relegation adds pressure because if your team tanks like the browns, you won't get a "better draft position" , you actually get knocked down a peg.

Also, they need to advertise these things as well. The USSF has money to advertise it.

pro/rel is the only system where free youth academies make financial sense

well, the US national team is. several of the players come from bottom of the table MLS teams.

My first exposure to soccer was playing in the streets of Kiev, Ukraine. That is where I was born. When I came here I started playing rec league for the town and then when highschool hit I joined one of the academies but also played highschool because those were my boys and I had fun playing there, while the academy was very stressfull.