Playing grindcore

So i want to start playing grindcore music on the guitar, any tips or tricks to start? I only started actually trying to play a few months back.

Attached: goat.jpg (1200x675, 67K)

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=ayaCsjHWuwc
m.youtube.com/watch?v=KIGnLK5GIKY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Read Choosing Death. That's what got me started.

look up the tabs for the song Crewcabanger by Chelsea Grin. learn those riffs (really easy and basic) then you will understand how to come up with your own in the style.

that's all i did and it's worked for years.

Chelsea Grin isn't fucking grindcore

i know but for some reason the riffs in that song helped me understand and come up with endless grind riffs. the fuck is wrong with you dude, chill

I can't think of a more overdone genre.

I'm a big fan of grindcore, and one thing I would recommend from a fan standpoint is honestly learning to play some fo the pre-grindcore crust punk stuff of bands like Amebix, Electro Hippies, Sore Throat, early Carcass, Axegrinder, and so on. That background gives grind a kind of flavor and texture that I think is a lot more interesting than a lot of the newer, more horror/metal obsessed, "pig squeal" bands

Punk? Thrash? Dance-Pop? Trance? It's still a rather fringe genre. What a stupid comment.

Your suggestion is fair, but it's ridiculous for you to ask what's wrong with him when you namedrop a shitty deathcore scene band.

Study in the church of Scott Hull

Best grindcore is either fast as shit or groovy as hell. You should probably just learn a bunch of punk covers and practice playing them fast as shit. Also most grindcore is simple as hell but if you listen to what a Wormrot or a Discordance Axis is doing it starts to get a little more complicated. Very few people cam play that fast, that aggressively, that accurately. If you're not a great guitarist I wouldn't aim for a wormrot sound as that guy is insane, something groovy and heavy like Rotten Sound might easier. I don't know. Grindcore is fun to write but a bitch to perfect becaus of the speed and tempo shifts you'll often work in without thinking. So start learning to play fast and accurately.

Not overdone popularity-wise. All grindcore sounds the same after hearing a few bands. It's a dead genre.
>inb4 "you haven't even listened to grindcore if you think that"
I've been listening to grindcore since before you were born. Your opinion/argument is not valid.

I wasn't going to say that. Don't predict what I was going to say. And I was born in '89, so if you were listening to grind before that, right at the start, then kudos to you.

That said, while most of the grindcore I listen to is the really early stuff because I like crust punk, I don't think it's totally dead. There are some crust-style bands who follow in the footsteps of bands like Sore Throat and Carcass, then there are really interesting noisy bands like Discordance Axis, then there are the super heavy bands like Rotten Sound, and then there are the almost cinematic horror bands like Regurgitate. While 95% of grindcore at this point is disposable, there are are still people doing some interesting stuff in grind, and especially in deathgrind.

Woah we got a badass here. That's bullshit when something like Longhena can come out and sound like nothing else before it. Just cause you're a butthurt battler with a chip on his shoulder doesn't mean you're right.

Daily reminder if you're not privy to Aussie grind then you are missing out.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=ayaCsjHWuwc

I really love the guitars, but I'm a little turned off by the vocals. Good pick, though - I'll explore more.

Their newer stuff is a bit more guttural vocally

m.youtube.com/watch?v=KIGnLK5GIKY

nice - that's more like it. The vocalist reminds me of the guy from His Hero is Gone.

Gridlink is awesome

Will check them out. Other great aussie grind you should check is The Kill and Coffin Birth but there's tonnes in this bumfuck country.

Indeed, I dont even really love Longhena as much as their earlier stuff, I just appreciate the hell out of it for what it does. It's like power metal mixed with grind.

it's an awesome album

looked them up - I'm really liking The Kill. Sounds kind of like thrash, but gone totally insane

Yeah, I seem to find alot of australian grind takes it's roots more heavily in metal than in punk. Australia has terrible mainstream metal though. Nothing normies like is anything but mediocre unlike everywhere else.

>only actually started trying to play a few months back
LEARN THE FUCKING BASICS. I think that approaching an instrument with the intent of learning a narrow niche genre will severely limit your development. Ive been playing for decades and sucked for a long time because all I did was try to learn the ultra complex tech death I was interested in at the time and neglected basic practice exercises. I highly recommend checking out the guitar general here if you havent already and making use of the links

Na don't do this. This nigga fronting. I didn't realise the OP said he only just started playing so if you wanna learn metal guitar quick-
-chromatic and regular scaling up and down the neck (just learn a major scale and see how fast you can work up and down the neck, improves dexterity)
-alternate pick as much as possible even if its feels weird, but learn when certain up or down strikes are gonna work sonically or logisticaly (getting to the next note) in your advantage
-learn how to pop on and off of palm muting (dimebag riffs are good for this) and how to creat dissonance through regular muting and scraping of the strings
-you can only alternate pick from your wrist so fast, at a certain point you'll have to lock onto your arm and utilize tremolo picking. Short brisk movements from your elbow with your pick in place for max speed. Just practice on the bottom string and practice accuracy as to hit only the intended note, learn to transition strings and using your fretting hand to mute certain strings so you can be less accurate and not worry
-utilise the entirety of your fretting hand and practice scales
>I prefer a light pick for fast stuff
>start learning songs by ear and practicing the sort of grind and tunings you'd wanna fuck with
>any riff can be turned into any part of a song, notice and practice dynamics in grind as it's a volatile genre that shifts gears, try writing a structure on paper and seeing if you can riff it out, intro, bridge, verse, chorus, bridge, verse, bridge, outro or whatnot
If you wanna play grind play grind, you can only learn your way, I'm still playing 11 years later cause no one told me what to do and I had fun figuring it out

Learn power chords and move your hands really fast up and down the fretboard. Also, learn to move your power chords really quickly across different strings.

almost forgot how legit aussie grind is. Undinism, BloodDuster, Petrol Powered Goon Bag Holocaust...

Attached: ppgbh.jpg (600x600, 59K)