"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden...

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." Those words were uttered by Judge Aaron Satie as wisdom and warning. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MDACd-ShjHk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

NO WILL, WE HAVE TO SAVE HUMANITY.

What a diplomat.

"FUCK TRUMP"

>one link by itself
>hurr it's a chain
Well fuck me running

>it's a the Federation decides not to allow membership to an aggressive species with an inferior set of values episode

It's why we must always stand against the fascist left and their war on freedom of speech.

>Now we know

I know you're being intentionally stupid but I'll bite: the first time you do something it's a big deal. The second time? Not so much.

The third and fourth? Nobody gives a shit.

Yet each time it creates another link to the chain that will tie us all, forever. And we won't notice until it's too late.

Amidst all the stupid klingons and silly pointy ears Star Trek was an extremely insightful show.

Pity most people watched for the phaser fights I guess.

The first duty of every Starfleet officer is to the truth - whether it's scientific truth, or historical truth, or personal truth. It is the guiding principle on which Starfleet is based.

You can have your favourite series, you can even have your favourite captain. But you cannot look a man in the eye and tell him that Picard was not the captain who most embodied Starfleet.

Why do Dominion ships look so sexy? God damn.

>Pity most people watched for the phaser fights I guess.
Where did you get this?

Picard represented the 90's move to a more thoughtful pragmatic future, where we could resolve differences with thought and logic. This comes after the 60's Trek and its use of military "solutions" to the problems of its day.

The best Sci Fi is always allegory, and 90's Trek - and Picard especially - embodied a future bourne of cooperation. With other races representing the extremes either way.

Everyone who says 60's Trek was better because it was more action oriented.

Trump fan in not understanding

And the first link was forged under Bush. Obama is the biggest fraud in all of this, hope and change and he sets the stage for an authoritarian to take all his toys.

I'd say he embodied Starfleet's ideals, not necessarily the organization itself. From what we see in the show it's rife with incompetence and people who don't care much for the organization's "guiding principles".

Yes, that's fair - and what I meant, obviously.

You're really dumbing down people who like TOS when you say stuff like that. If people prefer a sense of adventure and the thrill of exploring the final frontier, that's not just them "watching it for the phaser fights". Quit being pretentious.

If you watch TOS just for the fights you're going to be woefully bored 99% of the time.

I always wondered if those gold space stations were originally going to be the same design as Terok Nor / Empok Nor but they decided to go against it in case it would confuse people seeing a bunch of DS9s in orbit around Cardassia.

Post the Kirk vs the Gorn fight!

Where the guy in the cheap rubber suit ends up dying out of sheer embarrassment.

Reminder that the actress for Marta was seventeen years old when they shot this scene.

Life's not fair.

Well shit. I guess that means we were chained decades before any of us were born.

youtube.com/watch?v=MDACd-ShjHk

Post the episode where Riker sits in a bed flashing back to previous episodes, or the one where Crusher fucks a candle. The one with Troi shouting 'where are you' or her as a cowboy were hella freaking epic too.

This episode is amazing. Fajo was one of the best one-off Trek characters, perfectly cast and believably evil. Such a great personal conflict for Data, being forced into a dangerous environment away from the Federation. The final confrontation on Fajo's ship is one of my favorite moments in all of Star Trek.

"Commander, tell me about your sexual organs."

This is my all time second fave meme and also the first ever star trek episode I watched.

Speaking of great one-off Trek characters, this guys performance was so good.

I've never actually thought about my favorite ST episode. I don't even think I have one. I can easily pick from other shows like BSG and Stargate but for ST, it's way too hard.

weren't the big ones the Breen?

Why did Data lie about trying to murder him with the torture phaser?

Data was actually going to murder him. Even Brent Spiner the actor supported Data's final decision.

Luckily for him he got beamed of course.

But user, the Gorn doesn't die in that episode. Actually, him not dying is the whole point. It was about rising beyond ones violent nature and becoming better because of it.

"By sparing your helpless enemy who surely would have destroyed you, you demonstrated the advanced trait of mercy. Something we hardly expected."

That actor always pulls off the best smug guy roles. His face is the perfect smug face

Data didn't lie about anything.

It was character growth, of a sort.

It's the first time we realistically see Data attempting to protect others from his own wilful deceit. He "grows" as a human.

Picard knows the truth. He also knows Data knows he knows, but he's allowing Data to become whatever he wants to be.

No doubt watching him very carefully from then onwards, obviously.

>soaring defenceless creature
>builds and shoots him with ghetto bazooka

Yes indeed.

Sit on the chair!

man i always forget about this part and i always thought it was creepy af

He had to defeat him to save his ship, user. There still has to be an episode. Did you watch it, or are you one of those people who lurk on trek threads and read the wiki?

The purple ones are Dominion
The green ones are Breen
The Yellow ones are Cardassian.

Friendly reminder that Dukat did nothing wrong.

Breen ships are the ones with the asymmetrical design.

It was kinda a weird choice to have a whole episode as a close up single take on Troi's face as she deals with her constipation. Must have been a budget thing, still I guess I would rather have that then a clipshow.

90's? More like 80's. There was a major push for peaceful talks and cooperation in the throws of the Cold War. The 90's took that and went forward with it.

This is true.

I'm pretty sure anyone would take Data's position after the Faja joyfully claims he'll kill anyone on his ship if it pleases him.The guy was a sociopath.

Picard was easily the best Captain when it came to doing his job. Guy was like a living version of their ideals.

Here comes the Cardassian defense league.

He's the quintessential "We need a Jewish guy" actor.

No racism. Nearly everything he's been in he's been the "Jew" guy.

My favourite one is Frasier where he's the Jew Lawyer who wants to sue Daphe for not marrying him.

just started watching this show recently, had no idea star trek could be so kino

Sup Forums said jews weren't allowed to be portrayed in a negative light, so why was that episode allowed?

Meanwhile...

> snarky one liners
> endless space battles
> no chain of command
> insubordination in pretty much every scene

the fucking worst was in the second film when Ohura TALKS OVER CAPTAIN KIRK AND THEN KEEPS ON GOING AFTER KIRK TELLS HER TO STOP

Im glad its getting more exposure but Im hoping for some more low key spin offs with diplomacy and politics as the central themes rather than 'kicking ass' and star wars

There's a ton of filler though, the best of the best starts in season three.

Trek movies have always been like this and most of them suck compared to Beyond apart from the original Trilogy (2-3-4 and 6 because I like it and it was pretty good by itself)

To be fair, almost everyone agrees the second film is shit.

I'm convinced Star Trek 09 wasn't very good either, it just came after 20 years of shitty or no Trek so a mediocre movie was considered a good movie.

The best episode in TNG is in season 2 though.

I mean, Measure of a Man, hellooooo?

I know and as I said it gets more exposure and money for the franchise so thats always good. But with the current trend of 'cinematic universes' is it too much to ask to have another film with a completely different crew set in the same universe. But one more diplomacy/exploration based. They still have the borg in their back pocket too

I think one of the main problems is they are using beloved characters from TOS so are taking almost no risks with them. There's strangely little dialog in the films. Id even be happy with a female lead captain as long as she was shown actual respect and authority

Actually thought the second was the best then the first then the most recent one. Benedizsle Cumberdizzle was actually really good and should have had more lines.

His dogmatic devotion to the Prime Directive is disturbing though. Even their reasoning is pretty shallow when it comes to helping people:

We could allow for the rise of a horrible dictatorship

What if there's a cosmic order of things and they're destined to die? This one is the best because it shows they still hold some belief in the divine even though they preach how they've let go of such thinking.

All their arguments could be easily applied to helping an individual. See a kid in a burning car? Don't help it because they might turn out to be the worst human being in the future because we just don't know. So it's the better choice to not save them because of all the possible bad things they may do. Christ, Picard even praised Riker for not saving a little girl from dying when he was given Q powers because saving that one girl would mean Riker would become corrupted by that power the moment he did it. Picard is too much of an absolutist.

Just watch the best episodes of season 1 and 2. The ratio of good to bad episodes isn't the best.

>Trek movies have always been like this
WRONG

Rare diamonds in a pile of shit, but I agree.

I agree, I wish they'd take more risks but these times they wont risk a multi million dollar investment.
Still, I believe Beyond was a move in the right direction.
Into Darkness for me was a bit of a letdown. I liked the premise but Benny Cocumber was greatly misused, along with the whole plot with the klingons.
Also:
>Killing Kirk and reviving him literally 20 minutes later
>The Klingons are getting more Aggressive, don't do shit for the rest of the movie.
>The Enterprise is still the only damn ship in the whole universe.

Also:
>Vengeance best ship, best ship.

beyond was a great movie and closest a movie has gotten to TOS trek

too bad it flopped

If it did flop, why did they greenlight the 4th one?

paramount have literally no other movies

i guess it made more than star wars did too

>episode has an admiral
>admiral is corrupt
>every single time
rlly fires my neurons about world governments 2bh

>I did what had to be done. My men understood that, and that's why they loved me. I would order them to go out and kill Bajoran scum, and they'd do it, they'd murder them! They'd come back covered in blood but they felt clean! Now why did they feel that way, major? Because they were clean!

If the goal of your actions is the wellbeing of future generations, can they be really immoral?

even admiral ross turned out to be semi-corrupt in the end

Because you don't bin a multi-billion dollar franchise just because one movie lost money. You try again with a smaller budget.

That's a good looking alien.

But user, The Motion Picture is the peak of Star Trek.

>But user, The Motion Picture is the peak of Star Trek.
It solved my sleeping problems without resorting to drugs.
At least he had a reason to be like that.

>episode has an admiral
>uniform is different to the uniforms of the past dozen admirals

> When one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable, like... like old leather. And finally... becomes so familiar that one can't ever remember feeling any other way.

Literally turn this episode into a spin off film with a new crew complete with big battle at the end with Maxwell and boom you have pure star trek kino

It would be like the Hunt for the Red October.

"When the United States closed its borders on the now destroyed terrorist nations, is when the United Federation of Planets consider the golden age of humanity began."

This show was truly ahead of its time.

>I need to return some video disks.

That episode was a big letdown after all the hype.

Why do people hate on Generations and Insurrection? I always thought they were great.

Finally got to the first episode of DS9 I dislike.

I've got to give the show credit, the children are actually really enjoyable to watch. Their like anti-Wesley's.

was maxwell punished as a murderer or did picard tell the federation that the cardassians were arming for war? or would he say maxwell was right but only because his hatred happened to be be justified?

>Q, you cannot blame humanity for the actions of nonwhites
Caught me off guard the first time

Generations killed Kirk in the worst absolute way.
Insurrection was just an movie lenght TNG episode.
In comparison, Best of Both Worlds was the best movie you could have in the place of Insurrection.

The Council would have punished Maxwell no matter what since he took matters into his own hands instead of bringing it to them.

the 'ending' I always imagined was Maxwell is returned home, but seeing as his behaviour was justified albeit illegal and unethical he would be 'punished' by forced retirement. he was a highly respected veteran of the war and the council would tell the cardassians that they imprisoned him, but not tell them he's imprisoned in a luxury villa. Picard would be disillusioned by the whole process and corruption

a movie version of this would just have Picard make the call and destroy Maxwell. Wouldnt be a bad ending desu, arguably better actually

Why did dukat want to bone bajoran women so hard ?

Generations is stupid, all the Kirk stuff was completely unnecessary and only added because the studio didn't think the TNG cast could carry a movie alone.

Killing Picard's family for no reason other than to have an emotional scene.

Getting the Enterprise destroyed in the most stupid way imaginable because everyone aboard was incompetent.

>10/10
>9/10
1. 1986 Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
>8/10
2. 1982 Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
3. 1991 Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
4. 2009 Star Trek
>7/10
5. 1996 Star Trek: First Contact
6. 2016 Star Trek Beyond
>6/10
7. 1979 Star Trek: The Motion Picture
>5/10
8. 2002 Star Trek: Nemesis
9. 2013 Star Trek Into Darkness
>4/10
10. 1994 Star Trek Generations
11. 1984 Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
>3/10
12. 1989 Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
13. 1998 Star Trek: Insurrection
>2/10
>1/10
>0/10

>Wouldnt be a bad ending desu, arguably better actually

>2009 better than anything
>JJ Trek better than The Motion Picture
>JJ Trek better than The Final Frontier

i don't like search for spock being so low and i think you might be being a little too kind to beyond but i mean the top 5 is pretty reasonable with the trinity, then best TNG film and best NuTrek film.

The ending to a movie like that would be tough to write.

A battle would be climactic, and the implications afterwards devastating, but this is Star Trek. The show is usually about finding ways around violence, like Picard was able to. You want a good climax to what your movie's been building up to, but you don't want to depart from what Trek is all about in the process.

>ross corrupt
how many romulan spies have there been?

romulans give zero fucks about treaties.

>he respects the even-numbers rule
My nigger.

What the hell is the even numbers rule and why is it always brought up in trek threads?

/10
>5. 1996 Star Trek: First Contact
gotta push First contact at 6/10 and that's just because I love the Ent-E

Ezri was cuter and more likeable than Jadzia.