Why the fuck are those old action movies so much better than crap that gets made today?

Why the fuck are those old action movies so much better than crap that gets made today?

Who the shit is in charge of scripts in modern Hollywood?

someone who thinks it is better to remake old movies rather then go to the trouble to actually create something new and interesting.

but the remakes are always trash

>Why the fuck are those old action movies so much better than crap that gets made today?
They're not, for every Predator and Die Hard there were 300 shitty B movies trying and failing to imitate them. The 80's were like an avalanche of shit film.

my point exactly

Except there were few gems in there.

Modern action movies are all garbage.

sincerity

Sure, if you only watch domestic. Some decent shit from asia pops up now and then.

>generalizing opinion
discarded

I just watched Total Recall and The Fifth Element. Planning on watching:
-Con Air
-True Lies
-???

What else, senpai?

Predator is a really neat concept for a movie, and I love Arnold... but Predator is not itself very good. It's a pretty clumsy movie. The scene where they attack the village is ridiculous. Just infinite quick cuts of them noob-toobing shit. It's just as overly-cut as modern action films but looks goofy as hell because of the older effects.

Literally any other Paul Verhoeven action film.
Dredd (2012)
Escape from NY
Assault on Precinct 13
Commando
End of Days

I really wish there was more films like The Fifth Element.

The Running Man
Die Hard
Bloodsport
Robocop
Marked for Death
Lionheart
Point Break

Lack of originality. Plus the lines blur between genres nowadays, so you can have violent sci fi movies but everyone will consider them solely sci fi movies, then you'll have crime/drama movies and people will just consider them straight up crime/drama movies. Thus why all that's left is shit like The Return of Xander Cage and that one Al Pacino movie that made about $1000 in the box office.

mainly just predator for being insanely well crafted
despite the first shootout not fitting the movie

JMT knows how to action. I mean get a load of 13th warrior. How insanely well is this beowulf story told? you have a main character through out the movie but unless crowe in gladiator who's leading you through the movie and the story and is driving it you get banderas as a mere side kick by stander who most of the time doesn't know what is going on.
the character building was no less in predator. sure some might be a bit cheesy but at least they had personality and you cared for them.

Because back then making fun, cool movies was the goal in itself.

Now the goal is box office profit, so they follow shitty criteria based upon maximizing profit.

These are some of the rules they follow:

- A sequel/prequel/remake will draw in nostalgiafags and is a safer choice than a new script
-actors should be diverse for no reason other than muh racism
-asian presence to make the movie bigger in china
-make the movie PG13 unless its completely impossible with the source material. Kids going to watch it in the cinema = $$$
-Scenes are put into the movie for the sole purpose of making the trailer more interesting

Independence Day 2 for instance is a super shit movie guilty of all of the above.

Wrong
Watch a "bad" 80s action flick and it's still better than modern stuff

It's mainly because they didn't have to write stuff for Chink Market and directors knew how to do proper pacing and not be hamstrung by pg13 ratings

No idea, but this is something I was thinking about today.

The three highest grossing action movies of 1986;

1. Top Gun

2. Aliens

3. Cobra.

Top of 2016

1. Captain America: Civil War

2. Batman Vs. Superman: Dawn Of Justice

3. Deadpoll

So...was it REALLY any better?

For every masterpiece you had 300 shit films.

Now you just get 301 shit films.

You're literally blind, retarded or a liar.

Predator is full of longer cuts and shit like putting actors in the same frame as the explosions etc.

What is even the point in lying about something like that. Both Predator and Die Hard are masterfully shot and directed and respected by actual craftsman in the industry.

Top Gun is 10x the movie Civil War is.

I really miss action movies that are fun and don't take things too seriously.

Entertainment was less regarded in the near past. People treated it as a past time. Now entertainment takes center stage. Since this is the case, there's a lot more edgy, pseudo-intellectual bullshit out there because the audience have become total retards who can't really tell reality from fiction anymore. Also everything is overseen by a committee of bean counters trying to work out how to maximize profit - go figure why movies are so safe.

But Aliens and Top Gun are fucking great. BvS is utter fucking garbage, and Civil War / Deadpool mediocre at absolute best.

seeing deadpool was painfully awful then yes the 1986 list is better.

That scene was actually shot by the second unit director and the actual director has regretted it ever since. The rest of the film is clearly different than that one scene.

this movie got bad reviews
and flopped

now name a film that came out last year from Hollywood in the action genre that was better.

Except even the shit movies had more balls and originality then capeshit.

Civil War and BvS are straight up trash, Deadpool is marginally better. Top Gun and Cobra are fun and manly as fuck and Aliens is a fucking classic.

So yeah, the 80s were better.

Predators is underrated. Does something new without insulting the originals.

How was this insulting to the original?

>reading comprehension

Unlike those brainless AvP movies, holy fuck what a shitshow.

I like the first shootout.

Mainly because it makes the movie seem like a generic action movie at first before the predator comes in.

This

I discovered both the Alien and Predator franchises as a kid watching (unluckily) AvP
But this made me wanna know more about those two different kind of extraterrestrial killers, so I watched all the movies of the franchises (except AvP2) and:
I loved all Predator movies
Alien was great, Aliens was pretty enjoyable while the third and the fourth sucked

Cobra

>ctrl+f demolition man
>0 results

Really underrated desu.

All the villain of the week movies are also to blame, they fit all the criterea.
>Based on some name brand / comic people know from a century ago.
>Always a diverse cast for no other reason than muh diversity
>PG13, take no risks, make sure all the kids can go see it for extra buckeroo's.
>The trailers make up the most interesting part of the movie, the rest is mostly filler.
Hollywood needs to fucking die already.
Unless some new generation steps and says, fuck all these tabboo's, we'll create something that's fun, great, beautiful, whatever, rather than confirming to these ridiculous guidelines that kill any and all creativity.
How do you expect to make some historical film when it's shattered by its own incompatible reality where every person of color needs to be represented and all wimmenz are more like man, strong, etc. It defeats the purpose of film showing something about ourselves or telling a story, showing imagery just for the sake of that single story, time, set piece, world the writer/director was trying to create.

Movies today don't come from some spark of creativity, they come from a conveyer belt, plain and simple.

In Arnold's book he tells about how he always used focus groups to the max while making his big movies in the 80's. And how he tweaked the movies according to the reactions of focus groups until they went from under 50% approval to over 90%. So it's not that. I think that back then they didn't expect audiences to be so fucking retarded as today, and they didn't cut shit so the movie would only have things people all across the globe can understand.

we dont live in the same old testosterone inducing era anymore, nowadays people think an action based masculinity movie is cliche. Its all muh feelings muh atmosphere muh hidden message and performance

Yeah, but at least those shitty B movies weren't all sequels, remakes, reboots, and video game adaptations. And sometimes they were kind of good too in their own way.

I don't think I've ever seen someone sabotage their own argument so thoroughly.

This. I've seen a handful of old 70's/80's action flicks, and there's a whole lot of garbage from that era. Every generation has its fair share of good and bad. Movies like Predator, Demolition Man, Terminator, Robocop, etc. only made it as far as they did because they were gems in an ocean of unremarkable/shit flicks. That's why so often, people like OP will watch them and instantly assume that every movie from that era was gold, when in truth, every generation of film has its ups and downs, even this one.

Also this. China makes some top-of-the-line martial arts films. Movies like Ip Man, Shaolin, and Wrath of Vajra are great films that will pop up from time to time. If you want good action, I suggest keeping an eye out for foreign films every once in a while.

this to be quite honest

It's so painfully predictable, after Danny Trejo dies I managed to predict the exact order every character would die in and who would live, and I was right.