I've been listening to On Avery Island on repeat for the past month and I've come to the realization that there is...

I've been listening to On Avery Island on repeat for the past month and I've come to the realization that there is nothing else like it besides IAOTS in the entire world. The production is beautiful and simple, the lo-fi guitar sound gives me goosebumps, the lyrics are ethereal and strange and raw
It's an even more vulnerable album than IAOTS and way, way more experimental. I'd argue that besides Song Against Sex (which is honestly complete trash) and Gardenhead (just the first part of the track, not Leave Me Alone) which is a little rough lyrically, it's absolute 100/100 all the way through.
I've taken to listening to Bulgarian Field Recordings when I don't want to listen to On Avery Island another time because it has a lot of the same insane production aspects and lo-fi charm.

Attached: 10_700_700_mrg103.jpg (700x700, 137K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_Twin_Field_Works:_Volume_I
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Back to my original point, which I guess I'll now turn into a question - is there anything else like Avery, Bulgarian Field Recordings or IAOTS out there?
I've listened to a lot of the E6 catalog, but none of it really shares the same atmosphere, although Julian Koster's Music Tapes and Jeremy Barnes' Caucasus Mountain folk recordings are interesting tangents
For now I guess I'll keep listening to demos on YouTube

>besides Song Against Sex (which is honestly complete trash) and Gardenhead (just the first part of the track, not Leave Me Alone)
opinion discarded

Oh please, Song Against Sex is some schlocky shit they'd play over a Kia commercial if it wasn't for the lyrics. It's good the first few times but that's it
>There are beads that wrap
Around your knees that crackle into the dark
Like a walk in the park, like a hole in your head
Like the feeling you get when you realize you're dead
This time we ride roller coasters into the ocean
We feel no emotion as we spiral down
yeah no

Yeah, as one of the few champions of this album being far better than ITAOTS on this board, you lost me here

How do you think that is bad but think
> And she was born in a bottle rocket, 1929
> With wings that ringed around a socket
> Right between her spine
> All drenched in milk and holy water
> Pouring from the sky
> I know that she will live forever
is some beautiful craftsmanship compared to it?

nmh's ferris wheel on fire, beauty, the unhappy bus (if you haven't listen)

something that reminds me a lot of Jeff's stuff is sunshine's fix - a spiraling world of pop, i don't know how Bill Doss's albums haven't got more recognition, it's really sad, specially the song Love Athena which sounds just like early nmh

this, the nmh demos arent hard to find and sound more like Avery Island than Aeroplane

cont'd
there's an unreleased song by The Gerbils that is called Two Skies, you check it out too. Also, you're wrong about Song Against Sex and Gardenhead, fuck you, i mean i'm glad you listen to E6's stuff but fuck you

>tries to cherrypick the worst lyrics on itaots
>its 5x better than what he posted
wew lad

I once heard a band called The Curiously Strong Peppermints that reminded me of nmh, maybe see if you can find anything for them.

it's great but it's not their best work
that lyric from gardenhead that is really fucking out of place for a jeff and i'm suprised he'd write that roller coaster line without fixing it or removing it, the rest of the song is amazing. the album also contains some of jeff's most underrated and best lyrics.
>one million lovers wave and love her now
>they could love her now
>and so could i
the album sounds like their big introduction to actually cleaner studio recordings too, they were working with cassettes and home recordings before this album, i always saw this as their introduction to the indie scene

Oh no dude, I also fucking hate Ghost. That song is fucking terrible too. Literally the only two bad NMH songs on those albums

It's just hard to listen to. Again, I like Gardenhead besides the lyrics, and Leave Me Alone is probably the best song on the album.

stop posting

Attached: a3134794838_16.jpg (700x700, 69K)

>being this assmad

I hate when people compare this to ITAOTS because it's so much better and unlike ITAOTS where all the lyrics are loved in a meme way, the lyrics of Divorce Lawyers are all deeply genuine and not really even that metaphorical

Well, that's why I like NMH so much. The lyrics are weird and stream-of-consciousness, yet somehow paint a vivid picture. It's poetry

My point is rather that Divorce Lawyers is not a meme stream-of-consciousness thing, the lyrics are fairly straightforward and it's because people go in with the idea it's funny lyrics and not deeply serious ones that people bounce off of it

Stream-of-consciousness is one of my favorite lyrical techniques because I think most lyrics are garbage in music but that's not what Divorce Lawyers is

Attached: 13254575.jpg (750x720, 33K)

Gardenhead / Leave me alone is the best track on the album.

>I fucking hate ghost

jesus christ

>Bulgarian Field Recordings
im bulgarian and idk what that is. can you post some examples please?

Song Against Sex is great, what the fuck

>Bulgarian Field Recordings
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_Twin_Field_Works:_Volume_I

All it took was a google search

song against sex is so good.
>and a nice trip to the country
>find a nice cliff to drop off
sung in that upbeat melody is real strong

what is the best song on avery island and why is it April 8th

like a big comfy blanket

I haven't listened to this album but Naomi is my favourite NMH song

>Song Against Sex (which is honestly complete trash) and Gardenhead (just the first part of the track, not Leave Me Alone)
IN THE

T R A S H
R
A
S
H

neutral milk hotel is the musical equivalent of the sepia filter.

how can anyone listen to them without imagining an sjw sitting in a barren field wearing a floral dress and combat boots with stringy hair and mid forehead bangs, pretending to smoke a cigarette while browsing through tumblr?

they are overrated garbage.

It honestly just sounds like you're too insecure to open yourself to something new

I've listened to both of their albums, I understand the appeal, but I can't get the "indie girl" image out of my head.

>mfw 2 weeks until April 8th