I think the people who don't like this, don't get it? I see in threads people talking about time travel...

I think the people who don't like this, don't get it? I see in threads people talking about time travel. But there is no time travel. The language rewires the thinking, she is thinking like the aliens, in non-linear time. Simply put, she is remembering the future.

This is a good sci fi. I bet you didn't like Upstream Color either.

>Simply put, she is remembering the future.

dropped.

The problem is its being too well received so I have to try to dislike it, sorry for the confusion.

I liked the concept but it felt a little weird with her remembering only exactly what she needed to at the exact right time. I think I would have been more impressed if she became all knowing of things in her own life and had to sort of hide it since she knew everything that would happen but had to keep shit on the optimal plotline. Like if over the course of the movie she does things that don't really make sense but then theres the big reveal that she's been able to see the future this whole time.

I didn't like it because I don't like sci-fi movies with sentimental humanitarian themes. in fact, i don't like sci-fi as a genre, it's garbage.

are you that same autistic fuck that has been complaining about this time traveling shit for weeks now?

get over it already.

>people unironically believe that arrival is anything more than someone making a "clever" analogy

Oh ok sorry i didnt realise, i hate it too now my bad fuck this movie tbqfh

The disappointment is just that the twist is literally magic. I know, I know, it's sci-fi, but it really felt like it didn't need this far fetched time bullshit to be interesting.

What is a clever analogy? According to you guys nothing can be shocking or clever, any attempt to do so is being "try hard"

What do you mean its magic? The kid she is remembering doesn't exist yet, the time thing is integral

Or its about coming into contact with something so advanced its like magic to us :o

>I'm so smart nothing will ever reach my level of intellect or impress me

>What do you mean its magic?
starting to perceive time as non-linear after learning a relatively simple language = magic.

it was a kinda neat concept, but otherwise a weak movie imo. no good performances either. don't know why people are creaming themselves over it.

Well fuck you could say that about pretty much any sci fi if you look at it that way. 2001 is a magic box that makes monkeys smart, bladerunner is pinochio, hg wells invented magic flying sphere to go to the moon. Name one sci fi that you couldn't interpret that way if you tried.

*waits while people google lists of sci fi*

It's not about that. The whole movie seems to be about solving the puzzle why those 12 vessels landed on earth. So you kind of wonder what the solution is. Then suddenly this whole time thing pops up, it has basically no relevance to the whole plot really and isn't an interesting concept on itself imo, or isn't really explored in any way that would make it interesting.

*visits redit*

Wasn't as good as I was expecting but anything by Villenvue will get a pass from me. Cautiously looking forward to Blade Runner though.

It mentions that they need our help, in the future. Thats it, the whole point of why they are there. In subtitled convo with alien after explosion, perhaps easily missed, one line that makes it all make sense. The main theme though i think is two alien species trying to make sense of each other,.i thought that was done well.

The movie was a sci-fi movie, in which the sci-fi elements were just plot devices for a character drama and philosophical discussion. It became clear that it was going to go in that direction when in the opening act, the focus was on Amy Adams while the world around her came apart. They deliberately didn't make a big deal about the aliens, didn't even show TV news, or fully dramatize the level of pandemonium that would erupt, if such an event happens in human society --- no all the focus was on Amy and her character's depression/sulking.

So yeah, understand that it wasn't a bait-and-switch. You should've known what you were getting.

Nice bait this is the same argument nolan fags use when people dont like his hamfisted exposition flicks. It was stupid.

Philosophical themes have always been at the heart of some of the best sci fi.

Exactly, I know that, and to me, it's disappointing. "We need your help at some point for something we won't mention, just saying." Seems like a shitty solution of the puzzle they took so long to introduce.

Yeah, I know what sci-fi is. I still felt it was just a disappointing plot that felt like it was going somewhere, but was ultimately not smart enough to give me that satisfying feeling I was expecting. The concepts introduced were interesting I thought, but it didn't quite fit together to make sense. That doesn't make it a horrible movie or anything, but not brilliant either. It left me with the feeling that it wanted to be much more than it really was.

It's a dumb movie that makes dumb people think they're smart. The entire alien plan makes no fucking sense. Idiot plot.

>Exactly, I know that, and to me, it's disappointing. "We need your help at some point for something we won't mention, just saying." Seems like a shitty solution of the puzzle they took so long to introduce.

You don't need to know that because its not only irrelevant but goes against the core of the film. The film stressed the importance of the journey and living in the now.

Fine, yes, I get that, but it's still my opinion that the way the plot unfolds felt unsatisfying. I'm not trying to convince you, I just stated my opinion. If didn't feel that it's central to the movie at all, that's fine, I understand.

Just finished watching this movie hal an hour ago.
First of all I think it was brilliantly directed.
There's a perfect reason why more and more people jump on the "Denis Villeneuve is one of the best working directors" train.
The cinematography, the sound, the editing all created perfect viewing experience for me, which is what DV does so well.
The first ~1.5 hour were intense (in a sense), it intrigued me, it made me think, it made me appreciate DV's directing skills that much more.
With that being said the twist felt kinda... unsatisfying.
I guess I excpected something more clever from the smart, intriguing and very original build up, and felt like I got: "It's time travel, don't worry about it".

No, we understood it, we just didn't like it cause it's horrible.

I think if they cut out all of the redundant explaining it would've been a lot better, but seeing as a lot of people still understand the plot I guess they made the right choice to keep it in

she did know everything that would happen. She knew her child would die young from a disease but decided not only to have the child but also not to tell Renner's character about it because the joy her child would give her would outweigh the pain of losing her.

It's the same with the aliens. One, or both, always knew that one of them would die from the explosion but still decided the sacrifice was worth it as to not risk their mission

(You) look like you didn't understand this or any of Nolan's films. Get out of Sup Forums and back to plebbit

still don't understand the plot*

the fact is that we don't even know if it's something far fetched at all.

>weak movie
lel

if you could remember the future couldn't you pass future tech or the key for immortality ect backwards in time? you setup a long enough chain say my great great great grandson passes it back to his father then he does it with his and eventually it would work its way back to me....

now if everyone has this ability how long till people figured a way to exploit the hell out of it and the world would turn to shit, maybe that's why the aliens needed our help in 3000 years GEE THANKS ALOT! and then she even puts out a book to teach everyone

I watched it today. I might have been more mindblown by it if I wasn't extremely used to the concept of "seeing all time at once" and bootstrap paradox fuckery etc. from reading Alan Moore (and a bit of Doctor Who). Guessed the twist about her daughter & husband before the halfway mark, they flagged it up to an almost insulting extent. Screenplay wasn't anything to sing about desu, predictable to the point of knowing the next line of dialogue at times and some flimsy ass plotting in places - I'm interested in reading the original short story because this screams "awkwardly bloated out to make it into a blockbuster".
Decent, 7/10

When Renner went "You know what surprised me the most? It wasn't meeting them.", I said to my gf "It was meeting you." and then when he actually said it we burst out laughing along with like half of the theater

Yeah, we kind of do. Or maybe we don't know anything, but I won't engage in a discussion like that. No, there's no reason to believe that anyone can see the future now or anytime soon, so to me it's pretty fucking far fetched, yes.

Kek, that was indeed a cheesy line. I often wonder how these lines manage to stay in the script until filming.

>I think the people who don't like this, don't get it?
oh boy here we go again

This movie had one of the most underwhelming endings ever conceived. Really fucking flat ending.

Ruined the film for me.

they are not seeing the future. nvm

what inspired the spaceship design?

>It's a peaceful aliens visit Earth and America tries to ruin it for everyone by blowing them up episode