I honestly don't understand how this got so much praise

I honestly don't understand how this got so much praise.

I did like the setpieces, that sequence from when the chase first begins to the end of the night is brilliant, and he deserved kudos for it.

But when I compare it to anything in Mad Max or The Road Warrior, it just doesn't compete. Am I being unfair? I just thought it was nowhere near as good as the first two, but I hear so many people praise it as the best one.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5pTZ4Xo2vmI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I watched Road Warrior and Fury Road back to back, and I remember noting that the color palette definitely had something to do with it.

Maybe it's my pig disgusting millennial sensibilities but I was dozing off at the end of Road Warrior. The opening shot of Fury Road perked me right the fuck up.

I will say that Road Warrior's greatest strength is building up characters. Fury Road gives you just enough to understand who they are and what their motivations are, but you feel like the characters in Road Warrior are actual human beings. Completely fucking insane human beings but they feel like living in that sort of environment would take its toll on them.

You know it to be true...

It's a slightly above average action flick in an age where even average action flicks are a rarity.

Tired joke, nigga

>But when I compare it to anything in Mad Max or The Road Warrior,

Well there's your problem. Also don't read too much into it. Fury Road is a good entry and that's the end of that. Everyone will still have their own favorites. I absolutely liked Fury Road yet Road Warrior is still my favorite.

It's the fact that it's all practical effects that makes it such an impressive feat.

It has a femenist narrative that's why. Jews love anti white male narratives.

Are we really going to go through this again

Great point. Fury Road and The Raids aside how many action films from the past decade are in ANYONES top 10 action films.

John Wick, but that's really about it.

John Wick could perhaps sneak into my top 10 but that's maybe because of my mermory being shit

That is the only reason why it won any oscar. It has a very heavy handed femenist narrative and to ignore that is fucking retarded.

I don't fucking care though.

saying this movie had a feminist narrative is like saying a 90s action movie starring all men has a patriarchal narrative. In other words, you're making the same retarded argument feminists make.

Don't politicize things which are inherently unpolitical.

No man, you're feeding him. Stop it.

The feminist narrative is only apparent when viewed in the context of the current feminazi SJW movement going on. Understand that in 20 years, once that movement is dead, that the fury road feminist narrative will be recontextualised.

'who killed the world' will no longer be implying men killed the world, but capitalism or warfare or some other shit. Joe will remain an oppressor of women but so what, that's his character. The Bullet Farmer won't represent mens aggression he will be military aggression. And so on.

for fucks sakes fury road does NOT have a feminist narrative. quite the fucking opposite.

I really liked Dredd but yeah I see your point

I think it's all about the order you see the movies. Fury Road is pretty derivative of Road Warrior, that's just a fact. It takes a lot from Road Warrior and uses the big budget to make it all believable and interesting.

But if you haven't seen Road Warrior, then Fury Road seems completely original, fresh, and amazing.

The guy with the stupid guitar pissed me off, he was literally irrelevant as fuck and did nothing overall but people kept cumming over that crap because it was DUDE AWESOME XD.

Give me some personality to "cool" characters so I can give a fuck about them.

I felt there was nothing to latch onto as a movie.

Nothing made sense about it and I'm not joking.

Immortan Joe did nothing wrong and all the characters as a result are so unlikable.

Not only that, they are retardely stupid.

I liked the backstory that he was a guitar prodigy living with his mother in a cave, his mother got killed (in effect breaking his mind) and Immortan picked him up. Now he wears his mother's face as a tribute to her memory, and plays guitar as a sort of fucked up little drummer boy.

>But when I compare it to anything in Mad Max or The Road Warrior, it just doesn't compete

I think that it's a matter of Fury Road appealing to modern sensibilities more. The pacing is much quicker than classic pacing, jumping to one action packed scene to the other, which suits modern film viewers excellently, the ADHD generation. This is something The force awakens also suffered from, but to be fair Fury road let the movie breathe at just the right points and it wasn't nearly as jarring.

Also, feminism obviously.

But besides that, it's a genuinely good movie. The editing was stellar, and even though the pace was fucking quick, it felt as if every scene ended and begun just when it needed to. The use of sound effects along with the editing was great too. I can't find the clips in youtube, but small examples such as the drums accompanying Max's steps before he approaches Furiosa with Nux on his shoulder, or when the biker gang leader was complaining about how the deal was going down, the music at some point accompanies a movement he does with his arms, emphasizing it. Just small dumb details but that in general movies don't even bother to use. The guitar man and how his music was seamlessly integrated into the soundtrack and action is another example of this.

Also, the fight choreography. Look at this:

youtube.com/watch?v=5pTZ4Xo2vmI

It was all-around well choreographed, and look at 2:18 when Furiosa tries to grab the hose. It comes across as a genuine motion of someone who is fighting desperately rather than a choreographed action.

The movie also operated on a "show, don't tell" narrative in which it mostly let the worldbuilding and exposition be done by action rather than dialogue, another basic thing a lot of directors these days fail at. Hell I could keep going but you get the gist. It might not have been as good as Mad Max or The road warrior but it was a solid piece of cinema, and a breath of fresh air by modern standards.

And then you have plebs like this guy who like the pretty colors even though that was the most annoying aspect.

Or turbofucktards like who unironically say the over the top cartoon villain who had a dictatorship-like cult of personality combined with religion, complete with sex slaves and other slaves did nothing wrong, and don't like the movie because it disagrees with their personal politics.

Nope I still find it a enjoyable and original film, something many directors nowadays are not capable of in my opinion.