I WANT TO JOIN THE VOIDDDD O)))))

>I WANT TO JOIN THE VOIDDDD O)))))

Music for this feel?

Stuff like pic related?

Attached: R-102263-1353903118-6234.jpeg[1].jpg (600x602, 92K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/eeOwBIreu1o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>head explodes

Attached: d4e8fa260dc64628afb8ec7f9df68b98.jpg (300x300, 22K)

Attached: MI0001765535.jpg (500x494, 72K)

Attached: cover.jpg (358x358, 8K)

Obligatory

Attached: folder.jpg (774x800, 69K)

C'mon fags, I can't be the only one that listens to drone

Attached: R-360253-1357843513-2757.jpeg.jpg (600x524, 22K)

Not drone, but minimalism is an important predecessor you should read up on. Start with La Monte Young's work.

Attached: cover.jpg (600x601, 173K)

Here's a minimalism classic. Ignore minimalism normies shilling Glass. In chronological order, increasing order of success, and decreasing order of talent:
>La Monte Young
>Terry Riley
>Steve Reich
>Phillip Glass
Nobody who knows early minimalism takes Glass seriously, it's the easy listening of the minimalism world. LMY, however, was a critical figure for all of modern classical and drone music. If you want to understand Time Machines and where it's coming from, read about his "just intonation", listen to his music, and maybe read about the setup for pic related. The way he prepares the piano is incredible.
This is all if you want to understand the music, of course. If you just want some cool drone to listen to, just look for people who cite him as an influence.

Attached: R-868783-1194825220.jpeg.jpg (500x500, 62K)

Here's some top "essential"-tier drone metal, not sure if that suits your tastes. If you want more, lemme know.

Attached: folder.jpg (500x491, 84K)

youtu.be/eeOwBIreu1o

based

Nobody interested in minimalism ignores Glass. To ignore his masterpiece Einstein on the Beach would be foolish philistinism, and to discount the influence of his early process music e.g. Music in Fifths would be to ignore one of the most important formative influences on the two major styles of minimalist music.

Given you seem to think minimalism consists of literally 4 composers, I'm more dismayed than surprised at your ignorance.

Conrad shit on again

Attached: 379739274.jpg (1252x1252, 114K)

Glass is pop music, grow up. I enjoy Einstein on the Beach, but it pales in comparison to literally any LMY composition. Glass is a shit imitator who thinks repetition and only using two or three instruments/notes at a time constitutes good minimalism. Don't get offended that I don't lavish your favorite hack with praise, just listen to better minimalism. Glass is a perfectly fine guilty pleasure. Also,
>only lists 4 composers
>clearly, this means they're the only composers he knows
They're just a few major artists representative of their eras.

Actually I really like Conrad, especially when he works with Cale.

Oh, by the way, if you want to go even deeper than this, look into LMY's influences from Indian classical. Top tier shit.

also
>[La Monte Young's] just intonation
He did not invent just intonation, that was the ancient Greeks. Nor was he the first to use it in western classical music, that was Harry Partch.
He's not my favourite, he's actually probably my least favourite of the composers you mentioned. Dismissing him as pop music is literally philistine obscurantism. No serious listener of contemporary classical music would dismiss glass.

today's been a good day for actual music discussion

On some place other than Sup Forums maybe.

I never said he invented just intonation, dipshit. Interference patterns are just sine waves, La Monte Young is the one who used them to literally create the genre of music we are currently discussing, are you trying to miss the point?

And Glass is to minimalism what Pink Floyd is to prog: Hugely important to the mainstream, but nobody who actually cares about the genre thinks much of them, they just gentrified better artists to suit people who don't know shit about music.

Now stop shitting up the thread.

What is your opinion on Charlemagne Palestine?

Full disclosure I haven't listened to enough of his work to feel comfortable giving my opinion, but my shallow impression is overall positive.

And what about strumming music if you have heard that? I am just asking :)

I like it quite a bit, do you have a rec for what of his stuff to check out from there?

>read about his "just intonation"
>his
sure reads like that
I'll accept that it wasn't intended, just a poor choice of words though.
>[La Monte Young] used [just intonation] to literally create a genre of music
no he didn't
I can think of about 3 western composers who explicitly use just intonation: Ben Johnson, Michael Harrison and Harry Parch. Of which only Harrison can be considered (borderline) minimalism. A few works by Riley including The Harp of New Albion would also count but his most important works use 12TET.
The idea that just intonation is intrinsic to minimalism is flat out wrong: the vast majority of minimalist music is written using 12TET.
>glass is to minimalism what Pink Floyd is to prog
No one with a serious interest in rock music would dismiss Floyd either. You've taken the obscurantist meme too far user.
>Now stop shitting up the thread
Wow, very rude user. Einstein on the Beach is better than anything La Monte Young ever composed and I would recommend it to anyone interested in minimalism. That alone is an important contribution to the thread.
not him, but completely talentless hack

Regardless of how many people use just intonation now, without La Monte Young's investigation into interference patterns/beating and just intonation, subsequent experimentations in minimalism and drone music simply do not occur. You can get into arguments about alternate histories where other people develop minimalism, but he did it first, unless you want to go all the way back to Eastern classical, but if you want to pull that then the limit is all of recorded history.

Did you even read what I said about Floyd? Incredibly important to the mainstream. It's just that nothing they did is that great, it's a watered down version of things other bands were doing. Dark Side of the Moon is completely unimpressive considering it came out three years after the best work of King Crimson and Gentle Giant, much the same way Glass is boring considering how much earlier Terry Riley was operating.

>La Monte Young's investigation into interference patterns/beating and just intonation
...was pretty standard stuff following squarely in the footsteps of the multitude of composers working with non-12tet tunings and microtones before him

I'm a fan of LMY, Just Charles and Cello in the Romantic Chord is a masterpiece, but his work with tuning systems isn't revolutionary by any means

He undeniably started drone music, aka the subject of the thread. To deny his influence is patently false, especially if you count bands as surface level as Pink Floyd as "important".

pic related and the new prurient album

Attached: cover.jpg (600x603, 77K)

Good picks

>without La Monte Young's investigation into interference patterns/beating and just intonation, subsequent experimentations in minimalism and drone music simply do not occur
Given that the work consists of more or less random improvisation it would be fair to say that creating the tuning was important, not the actual improvisation itself (though that is not to suggest it was the first just intonation by any means). However it was actually Michael Harrison who invented the tuning La Monte Young used, Young was just the hack who sat and played by ear.

La Monte Young made an incredibly important contribution to minimalist music, in that he may have been the first to apply the idea of drones to classical music (although this is actually wrong, see for instance Yves Klein's monotone symphony) or the first two apply repetition (again wrong, see Vexations 840 by Satie). Of course I'm pointing out these precursors not to show that La Monte Young was a talentless hack who stole his ideas but simply that he was not an unprecedented genius. There's no doubt that the Theatre of Eternal Music (La Monte Young, John Cale, Tony Conrad, Marian Zazeela and so on) were incredibly important in the creation of minimalist music (not to discount also Dennis Johnson, who's work November precedes the formation of the Theatre of Eternal Music by a significant number of years). La Monte Young was not the first but he was somewhat important.
1/2

Glass's music was very important in the development of what some call 'process music', i.e. where mathematical structures effectively determine the development of a piece, for instance simple additive and subtractive process in Glass's early music. This is well illustrated by Reich's piece clapping music:
>Instead of phasing, one performer claps a basic rhythm, a variation of the fundamental African bell pattern in 12/8 time, for the entirety of the piece. The other claps the same pattern, but after every 8 or 12 bars shifts by one eighth note to the right. The two performers continue this until the second performer has shifted 12 eighth notes and is hence playing the pattern in unison with the first performer again (as at the beginning), some 144 bars later.

As I said, La Monte Young was a pioneer (but not solely responsible) for drones in western classical music. Glass, Reich, and to some extent Riley (though only in In C, which has something of a process, but which is not strictly adhered to by performers) were responsible for process music in minimalist music. That alone gives Glass a great importance in the development of minimalist music.

Sadly I haven't heard much of his stuff either, but his stuff with Gira is interesting

Alright I'll concede that LMY is not the god of minimalism, though he is an excellent starting point for OP or anyone interested in drone. But you're still a faggot for defending Glass, especially if your defense is process music. That shit has been around since long before Glass was composing, even fucking Cage pulled that shit off.

I've got some work to do now, so I'm gonna call you a fag and bounce, see you around, thanks for actually discussing music with me instead of being a totally ignorant pleb like half the board.

I defend Glass because some of his early work is important and Einstein on the Beach is brilliant. I don't happen to care for his film music or really any of his later works I've heard. But, no one would write a history of minimalist music without including him, and I'd rank Einstein on the Beach as among the best works of minimalism. I suppose to go back to your analogy, I don't think Pink Floyd are the best prog band ever, but no one would neglect to mention them in a history of prog, and some of their albums do rank amongst the best prog.
Anyway nice chatting to you. Goodnight

I probably started off too aggressive to be honest.

Oh, just one more thing.

I've already mentioned Michael Harrison, but you should check this album out since you like The Well Tuned Piano.

Attached: a0080650805_10.jpg (1200x1200, 526K)

Cool, thanks user

All these minimalist dron babbys ITT

Attached: cover.jpg (1400x1400, 497K)