Find a flaw

Find a flaw

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panic_Movement
youtu.be/ez2V18tle90?t=1h54m2s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The last 90 minutes

elaborate

there is nothing interesting in the cinematography, choreography, or editing. it may as well have been a series of paintings, a graphic novel, or an elaborate stage play. jodorowsky's creativity is undeniable but his films are little more than translations of the images in his mind's eye, perhaps only filmed out of convenience. there is nothing it seems truly filmic about his work.

wasn't the whole point of the movie to tell the story in such a way that subverts traditional film language? I know it's not exactly French New Wave, but I thought that was part of the movie's purpose.

i don't believe not engaging with filmic technic is subversion.

This.
The people who praise this movie and call it the greatest are film students and psuedo-intellectual Reddit stereotypes. They think that some obscure symbolism and "Intelligence" are the only things you need to make a good movie. There is nothing compelling about any of the characters and their motivations. It's not a film that engages you. Believe it or not, whatever the "pinnacle of film" Is, is more than just something that makes you think.

Sound quality is pretty shit.

I just saw it as a ritual on film.

>character motivations
you're a pleb, jeb.
>It's not a film that engages you.
It's not a film that engages YOU. it's a surreal episodic adventure through a whole bunch of interesting sets and scenarios. and i think you mistake iconography for symbolism, everything in the film is so pronounced and simplistic, there's nothing like "obscure symbolism" anywhere in the main narrative.

no, I knew exactly what I was saying. Iconography is how you use symbols, among other things. Symbols are just allusions, representations of an idea, person, event, etc. And I wasn't even talking about The Holy Mountain when I was talking about symbolism, I was talking about the Reddit types who think this is the greatest movie ever made. Much like I can say "Bernie supporters love free healthcare". I'm not talking about free healthcare, I'm talking about Bernie supporters.

>ywn turn to gold, you'll always be excrement

Feels bad man.

>jew must burn jour money
What did Jodo mean by this?

>wasn't the whole point of the movie to tell the story in such a way that subverts traditional film language?

But the film follows a pretty basic 3 Act structure...

The movie itself is a mere parody of the new wave mumbo jumbo from its era and the clear end message takes away any bullshit that YOU (who believes is above those reddit plebs and hipster whatevers) try to convey or attach to it projecting it into those subjects you critizice.

Discussing this movie background, symbolism and meanings is totally pointless, cuz there is none, just enjoy the nice visuals and psychodellic imaginarium that are presented to you through this cool medium called film.

Eat shit by the way.

There's no real reason to see it more than once. The whole thing is a joke at the expense of the audience.

Have you even watched this movie, you fucking retard?
>The Holy Mountain is a parody
Holy mother of Kek user please keep trying
>Discussing this movie background, symbolism and meanings is totally pointless, cuz there is none
>There is no symbolism in The Holy Mountain
did you miss the 2 hours of religious commentary?

Please, say something else, anything. I'm laughing my ass off right now

(you)

>religious commentary
Nigga you're still taking the film at face value. The Holy Mountain is Jodo's final set piece for his Panic Art movement which he disbanded shortly after the release of the film.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panic_Movement

I think the problem is, is that plebs who are easily impressed by surrealism and symbolism rate this movie too highly by virtue of those very things. In reality the narrative of the movie is extremely simple, obstructed (arguably on purpose) by a bunch of random esoteric imagery.

In the broadest sense of the word the movie more or less about mysticism. People go on a spiritual journey under the guidance of their 'guru' to get 'enlightened'. That's never obfuscated. There's literally a part in the movie where they're all sitting around planning their journey, and this is made completely clear. At the end this get undermined when the camera zooms out and the gig is revealed. That's it.

In a way it reminds of Refn flicks. Thematically really simple movies, that people look in way too much, and then proceed to call pretentious when they discover there's nothing there, when there never was supposed to be anything there in the first place.

For me personally, I think anyway you twist it, the movie is pretty mediocre. If you think of it's as a parody of 60/70's new age-ism, it's fine. There's some nice imagery I guess. If you think of this movie as some kind of religious commentary it completely falls flat.

Jodo is a very creative guy, and I think there's an alright movie hidden inside the Holy Mountain. It's just he gets too caught up in adapting crazy shit he thinks up and whatever was his overall intention of the movie gets buried in that.

daily reminder jodo is a hack

youtu.be/ez2V18tle90?t=1h54m2s

He pussied out and gave the "It's about the journey" ending without reaching the mountain and then saying something actually new. Nice visuals though.

Well then that's the equivalent of criticising a movie on an actor's private life rather than their acting in the movie

according to the commentary track he just ran out of money. wanted them to start flying and shit

too literal

Don't bother analyzing the symbols, just let the images wash over you

Persian subs
WTF am i supposed to do with this?

Thats not the point of the ending user. Hes laughing at you and telling you to go outside and stop being a basement dwelling neckbears playing at enlightening.

Hard mode: find a plot

Thats not even hard, its a movie about the tarot which has its own narrative as you progress through the trumps.

its the batman vs superman of art house

Profane children who don't understand the Hermetic arts pretend to like it

This guy knows whats up.

Anno/Jodo co-directing a film of them laughing at fat nerds for 90 mins when?

This is true. Reminder that you need to watch his movies with his commentary, fucking madman.

Jodorosky is clearly better as a comic writter than as a film maker.
After all, it's cheaper to hire someguy to draw whatever you want that having to build props and reshooting scenes.

>The people who praise this movie and call it the greatest are film students and psuedo-intellectual Reddit stereotypes.

Im neither, but the holy mountain is a masterpiece.

>poops in a jar
wow much enlightenment

Nope. The man's passion and creativity behind the camera elevate his stuff beyond DUDE WEED LMAO shit. I wish more directors gave half the shit that jodo gave about his movies.

I correct my stance. He is (or may be or whatever) a good filmaker. But film is not the suited art for him. I mean, even if his Dune looked awesome, it would had been a hell of a production, probably overspending several millions in reshoots and banal crap if not cancelled after a couple of months. But he could put his ideas in Metabarons and that is a great series.