If you don't listen to classical music AND have at least a basic understanding of music theory...

If you don't listen to classical music AND have at least a basic understanding of music theory, you don't belong on this board, and any musical opinion you hold is null and void.

Attached: FB_IMG_1503613373631.jpg (595x793, 44K)

Other urls found in this thread:

insights.spotify.com/us/2015/05/06/most-popular-keys-on-spotify/
hooktheory.com/blog/i-analyzed-the-chords-of-1300-popular-songs-for-patterns-this-is-what-i-found/
youtube.com/watch?v=JEY9lmCZbIc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

yea check this out tho nerd [farts] lmao

I want to fuck her.

ok

>mfw you realize that pop songs in 4/4 time at 120bpm, in the key of C major, in ABABCB format
>mfw you can never unhear it
>mfw music is ruined
Music theory ruined my life.

Attached: 1495683706548.png (657x527, 51K)

yes, you keep treating music like science and i'll keep enjoying it

>he literally doesn't even know what music is
>he thinks he "enjoys" it
>he thinks his opinion matters

Attached: 1505506892494.jpg (560x577, 226K)

this

I agree. This board needs to be cleansed of plebs.

What is a rudimentary understanding of music theory? What criteria do you consider for a proper analysis of the art form?

You should have some grasp of elements such as tone, timbre, rhythm, syncopation, melody, tempo, structure, etc. You should know the difference between major and minor keys. You should know what dissonance and harmony are. You should know the differences between basic popular instruments. Basically, you should know what music is, and you should know how to discuss music on a level above "I like it because it sounds good."

Yeah this is all pretty basic stuff.

Why are so many of these sculptures so hot

Anatomy

Attached: FB_IMG_1503613377810.jpg (664x688, 44K)

Oh my god I just fapped

>high school ""orchestra"" tier numale desperate for attention - the post

I truly think that my understanding of music has hindered my enjoyment of music. I'm not a professional musician, but if you study music in any form or fashion you begin to realize that easily 70% of songs follow basic cords with little depth in any kind of instrumentation. I don't mean to sound autistic but really, your favorite song (if not classical or jazz) is probably quite simple and contains a standard melody with some standard 2/2, 3/4, 4/4, 12/8, time and not much else. Once you realize how neatly most music fits into very simple boxes it sorta takes the magic out of it.

wouldn't ruining popular music improve your life tho?

Music is equal parts art and science.

Art without science is proven to be crap: Signing a urinal for example.

But what does make your opinion matter user?

Give examples of tracks that don't

The point of modern popular music isn't rhythmic or harmonic, melodic innovation, it's mostly timbre. So of course it's not going to be a fucking Scriabin sonata or Bruckner symphony. Just fucking enjoy music that's meant to be enjoyed and study art music without being a faggot about it.

>The point of modern popular music isn't rhythmic or harmonic, melodic innovation, it's mostly timbre
no its catchy melodies. Everything else is secondary. No one gives af about timbre in popular music, and it certainly isn't the "point". As long as something sounds passable, its fine. Catchy melodies are how popular songs get stuck in peoples heads.

If you want a genre whose whole "point" is timbre - look at spectralism.

>in the key of C
Eh. Most pop songs go in G, C or F

>treating music like science
It's just describing what already exists, you goddamn knobhead.
The urinal one is great because it borders on shitposting and has at its core raising the question of what is art and establishing art's emphasis on being more than purely physical - and Duchamp knew very much what he was doing. If you want art completely taken without any consideration for how art works, check out any freshman art exposition on a shitty liberal arts college - so many basic things (including color theory) are flown out of the window in favor of mildly "deep" discourse.
G is the most used one, I find, with C a close second.

>It's just describing what already exists, you goddamn knobhead.
Yeah, like science.

so why don't you move on to music that you don't grasp immediately? I can assure you there will always be something in music that you don't understand

>Yeah, like science.
I think he wanted to say that it's descriptive and not normative. You're right that science should be that, too, but I think a mathematician isn't restricted in his creativity by holding on to the rules he learned

>Eh. Most pop songs go in G, C or F
that's the most unwarranted bullshit I read today. Pop songs tend not to be in keys like Gb major or D# minor but you can't say that those three keys are especially common. I think that pop composers arbitrarily try to avoid C major for instance.

Maybe you confuse pop music with 15 year old guitar players

FUCK YOU I WONT DO WHAT YOU TELL ME

Do they? Most huge pop songs in the 2010s seem to be C major

k just make the experiment as I will to the same to make some research what pop songs are actually in C major, maybe restricted to the time after 1960.

I think that a lot of pop songs are in D major or in e minor because these keys feel good on the guitar. C major doesn't even feel good on piano because the haptic is completely unstructured. So the benefit of C major is only on paper.

k I randomly checked out some pop hits and it turns out they are mostly in keys different from G, C and D, apparently there is a accumulation in keys with sharps

Despacito - b dorian
I will always loe you - A major
Baby one more time - c minor
Shape of my heart (bs boys) - D major
Let it Be - C major (aha!)
Sweet home Alabama - D mixolydian
Take on me - b dorian
Africa - b minor
Katchi - b dorian

shes the veiled lady from chatsworth house

>but you can't say that those three keys are especially common
insights.spotify.com/us/2015/05/06/most-popular-keys-on-spotify/
hooktheory.com/blog/i-analyzed-the-chords-of-1300-popular-songs-for-patterns-this-is-what-i-found/

lol the one chart says D# major (!) is more common than a minor. I doubt that very much. Even if some weird niche music uses that key more often it's certainly not the case in pop music.

Actually your very other example contradicts that by stating a minor is the most common minor key.

I mistrust these statistic because in my experience pop songs don't tend to be significantly frequently in C, G or F, but just as often in D, A and Bb.

>I mistrust these statistic because in my experience
lol

see that list above, that's a statistic for you.

but you call it classical lmao not even the proper term. keep trying 15 year old

There is no proper term.

art music, E-Musik in Germany

You're also not allowed to eat if you don't grow at least some of your own food, and know about cooking and agriculture, and you need to permanently get off the computer and the internet if you don't know the basics of assembly programming, digital electronics and tried to at least write your own OS or hardware drivers at one point in time.

why do classicalfags allways have to remind everyone that their music taste is """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""superior""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

it almost feels like they only listen to it to seem intelligent and are most likely not even enjoying the music, so they have to get the most out of it and tell everyone: "i listen to classical, i am superior btw"
its trurly sad. classical is unironically the most poseur genre

I thought once like you did... but fortunately I grew into accepting that classical music is really superior. The entropie created by the work and the whole life that the composers put in the music is just much larger than a pop record. The capability of recording music has made it possible for every pleb to support his irrelevant opinion in music bc he has """albums""" at home. In the end it isn't Thinking about what music is, what music is capable of, Classical music just comes a thousend times closer.

And keep in mind, we only listen to a very small percentage of the music that was written throughout the time. So it's evident that the best of the best are superiour to anyone else.

Two recent very popular songs that always come to mind since they are/were overplayed everywhere:
The Shape Of You - c# minor (this key is absurdly uncommon in music in general)
Hello - F minor

I also decided to look up whose the most overall popular best selling artist of our time. It's Rihanna, so I peeped her hit singles from this decade:

Work - G#minor
Diamonds - B minor
We Found Love - F#major
S&M - Eb minor
Only Girl (In The World) - F# minor
What's My Name - sounds like some kinda D major I am not exactly sure there seems to be more happening and don't care for the music personally to keep listening

I am not a big fan of this stuff, but the "it's all always in the same key" shit doesn't really work when it's most popular examples seem to go beyond that. Conversely, respected legends like say...the work of Eric Clapton, never went outside the same two keys and stuck overwhelmingly to I V VI chord progressions.

>never went outside the same two keys and stuck overwhelmingly to I V VI chord
that's guitar blues for you

I upvote and support this comment. tips fedora.

t. Guy who just got into classical/passed his first music theory exam

>is too much of a brainlet to appreciate classical
>thinks other people are pretending to make himself feel better

But classical is old and dated

Shit opinion and just straight up wrong.

It hasn't aged at all, because it's timeless. Renaissance vocal music sounds just as beautiful and flawless as when it was first written 500+ years ago. Baroque fugues are still some of the best written and Baroque Harmony is still incredibly advanced compared to anything that isn't romantic period, 20th century classical or jazz. Classical era is still the benchmark of class and form and is still used in films and dinner parties and special events (as well as still performed at concerts all over the world). Romantic period music is still used in films and documentaries and is still widely performed, and has lost very little of its emotional impact. 20th century classical still causes people to feel uncomfortable and inspires horror film scores to this day.

Fuck that. V I cadences are as boring as it gets

Why are you implying that the only thing classical competes to is to pop? And you sound pretty pretentious.

>caring about the overall structure of a piece rather than the tonality, rhythm and phrasing

Attached: 1512257454598.jpg (512x512, 50K)

>implying you do

youtube.com/watch?v=JEY9lmCZbIc

Attached: 1421369166329.png (432x361, 106K)

Why is there a sticky that links to the Sup Forums wiki, but no sticky that has quick one-sentence explanations of basic music theory terms?