I don't get it

I don't get it

watch the show if you haven't already
literally lynchs easiest thing to follow

Laura Palmer was raped, abused and terrorised by BOB (via her possessed father) since a very early age. This led to the dark self destructive side of her life. Leland himself was not entirely "innocent", but was himself abused by BOB when young, this is a metaphor for the way abused children often grow up to be abusers themselves. Indeed, BOB wished to possess Laura himself, so the cycle could continue, but she managed to escape this fate at the very end of the film, though her soul did end up trapped in the lodge - albeit Dale is believed to free her 25 years later. BOB is an evil entity from another dimension parallel to ours. He and others like him feed on terror and suffering (", garmonbozia"),, hence the abuse. There is a gate in Twin Peaks where you can pass from this dimension to theirs and vice versa.

Damn....

haha wtf this is what twin peaks is about? Now I'm glad I didn't bother with this goofy ass series

The first half with Agent Desmond is a dream by Dale Cooper. Desmond is Cooper's dream alter ego. It was actually Cooper who investigated the murder of Teresa Banks and when he dreams about it, he is Desmond.

>tfw Laura returns to Twin Peaks

A controversial theory, first put forward in issue 60 of Wrapped In Plastic, holds that the entire investigation of Teresa Banks up until the appearance of the "Twin Peaks" sign, is actually a dream of Agent Cooper. In this dream, Cooper relives the investigation of Teresa Banks using the dream identity of Chester Desmond. Evidence to support this theory is found in numerous clues and oddities within the movie, as well as discrepencies between the original scripts and the final filmed version. I have not read the article myself, but will quote liberally from user Coolspringsj's comments, and add my own observations.

PROS: The way Fire Walk with Me was originally conceived, Agent Cooper was to be the investigating agent of Teresa Banks' murder. This was also the case in Dale Cooper's fictional autobiography written by Scott Frost. Due to time constraints and to avoid typecasting, however, Kyle MacLachlan was not available to play the role as originally conceived. His part was drastically cut back and Lynch devised a new character to take over the Deer Meadow investigation: Chester Desmond. The dream theory maintains that this character is actually still Cooper, but a dream-self who is reliving the unsolved case of Teresa Banks.

Several oddities support this theory. To start with, Chester Desmond (CD) and Dale Cooper (DC) share the same initials, reversed. Second, at several points during the investigation, some sort of doubling occurs: Gordon Cole has two different secretaries, there are two agents investigating the case, at Hap's diner the old man asks about "that little girl that was murdered" twice, and finally Sam repeats his comment about "we sure do need a good wake up don't we Desmond" twice. This last sentence is especially interesting in that it seems to be Cooper subconsciously trying to wake up. Following this comment, the scene noticeably starts to meander, with Rodd acting strangely and the curious woman showing up. After a lenghty silence, the dream is resumed properly when Rodd states "See I've already gone places. I'd just like to stay right here". This line, as well as Stanley's, was not in the original script. Interestingly, Desmond and Stanley never go to sleep throughout the entire investigation.

As I've mentioned before, dialogue and actions which take place in Deer Meadow echo dialogue that Agent Cooper hears inside the Red Room in episode 29: Cliff offering coffee that's two days old, Desmond stating he "has enough of the waiting room", and the spilling of the coffee inside Hap's diner. Cooper's dream identity as Desmond finally resolves upon the finding of the green ring, the one missing element Cooper sought but never found. Cooper then returns as the main protagonist of his dream. Upon investigating the "disappearance" of Agent Desmond, he finds the words "let's rock" on the window of Desmond's car. Again, we see dialogue originating from the Red Room.

Following Desmond's disappearance one of the most perplexing sequences in all of FWWM takes place: the appearance of Philip Jeffries at the Philadelphia office of the FBI. Prior to Jeffries' arrival, Cooper informs Gordon Cole that he "is worried because of the dream I told you about". Is he referring to his own dream at that moment? Cooper moves to a surveillance room, stares intently at the camera screen, and then suddenly sees Jeffries emerging behind his back in the hallway (again we see the doubling motif). Jeffries stumbles into the office and Gordon informs us that he has been missing for nearly two years.

When Jeffries is first confronted with Cooper his expression notably changes to one of (fearful) recognition, despite the fact that Gordon has only just introduced Jeffries to Cooper. But when Jeffries catches sight of Cooper he suddenly states they're "not gonna talk about Judy". He then points at Cooper and shouts "who do you think this is there?" The dream theory states that Jeffries' exclamation refers to Cooper being "the dreamer". He then proceeds to narrate his vision of the Lodge meeting, interspersed with various random statements, at one point literaly saying "it was a dream. we live inside a dream".

Is Jeffries real or a construct of Cooper's mind like Desmond? The dream theory argues the former. From the show, we know that it is possible for two people share dreams in a physical sense, even when the dreamers dream days or weeks apart from each other. In season 2, Cooper learns that several days prior Laura's death, she dreamt the same dream as Cooper in episode 1.02. Likewise then, Jeffries and Cooper cross each other's dream in the Philadelphia scene. In both instances, the cross-over is made possible through the timeless Lodge dimension. It is during this entire sequence that Cooper learns to significance and danger of the green ring, which enables him to warn Laura later during FWWM.

Apart from that, it can also be argued that the Jeffries scene is simply too "out there" to be part of reality. Even Albert, ever the skeptic on the show, seems largely unfazed by Jeffries' bizarre disappearance. This behavour is not consistent with the Albert during the series.

Lastly, if true, the dream theory would fit with the facts established in Cooper's autobiography. He did investigate Teresa Banks' murder but in FWWM he relives the experience under the guise of his dream alter-ego Chester Desmond. A lot of thought obviously went into creating a completely cohesive universe.

Fuck this shit, better explain Inland empre

CONS: A small but significant detail during Desmond's discovery of the green ring actually argues against the dream theory: the mound of dirt. The mound too clearly implies a connection to the necklace of Laura Palmer, BUT if the scene is indeed a construct of Cooper's mind, it would imply advance knowledge of the crime scene of Laura Palmer's murder, which he doesn't investigate until a year after. This knowledge could not have been gained through Lodge visits (or do memories work backwards too?) because Laura's death takes place in the real world, NOT in the timeless Lodge dimension.

The line "who do you think this is here" was already in the script before the story may have been altered to become a dream. Therefore, the line must allude to something else entirely (probably Judy). But this issue highlights a larger problem of FWWM interpretations: how much of the original script (or draft) can we accept as evidence to support (or discount) the dream theory? A lot of the scenes which didn't make it to the screen actually were filmed. But it's probably impossible to say when they were cut 1) to reduce running time, or 2) to fit Lynch's dream narrative.
Also, it is true that Desmond is never seen or commented upon again after his disappearance, which is odd, but not entirely improbable given the fact that he has little to do with the plot taking place in Twin Peaks anyway. The same applies to Jeffries and a host of other characters which are introduced in the movie and then never seen again, such as Norma, Shelly, Harold,... Obviously these characters are familiar to anyone who has seen the show but to an uneducated viewer, the presence of these people must be a complete mystery. Perhaps we're giving Lynch more credit than he deserves, seeing complexities in what is merely bad writing or editing...

Rewatched Inland Empire yesterday. I still don't get any of it. I've been lynched.

stop forcing this reeee

Forcing? Learned about this theory literally now and wanted to discuss. This is a discussion forum after all.

it's important to note that it was the ring that stopped Laura from becoming posessed, leading BOB to kill her instead.

the ring will have a big role to play in the new season.

"we live inside a dream" - David Bowie

Where do the angels come in? Dying visions of a scared woman? More supernatural entities from another dimension? Presumably the good one (White Lodge)?
Or just literal religious angels?

not who you're replying to, but: the angels are white lodge spirits.

lynch is truly a genius

All 3

This thread lynched me never thought that about FWWM, can't wait for season 3.

god i hope season 3 is 18 hours of fire walk with me level bullshit

Me too, it's gonna be great