Decline of the movie industry

vanityfair.com/news/2017/01/why-hollywood-as-we-know-it-is-already-over

>it’s worth recalling, is what many editors and record producers once said. And the numbers reinforce the logic. Movie-theater attendance is down to a 19-year low, with revenues hovering slightly above $10 billion—or about what Amazon’s, Facebook’s, or Apple’s stock might move in a single day. DreamWorks Animation was sold to Comcast for a relatively meager $3.8 billion. Paramount was recently valued at about $10 billion, approximately the same price as when Sumner Redstone acquired it, more than 20 years ago, in a bidding war against Barry Diller. Between 2007 and 2011, overall profits for the big-five movie studios—Twentieth Century Fox, Warner Bros., Paramount Pictures, Universal Pictures, and Disney—fell by 40 percent. Studios now account for less than 10 percent of their parent companies’ profits. By 2020, according to some forecasts, that share will fall to around 5 percent. (Disney, partly owing to Star Wars and its other successful franchises, is likely to be a notable outlier.)

>Show business, in many ways, has entered a vicious cycle set off by larger economic forces. Some 70 percent of box office comes from abroad, which means that studios must traffic in the sort of blow-’em-up action films and comic-book thrillers that translate easily enough to Mandarin. Or in reboots and sequels that rely on existing intellectual property. But even that formula has dried up. Chinese firms, including Dalian Wanda, are rabidly acquiring companies such as Legendary Entertainment, AMC, and Carmike , a smaller theater chain, with an apparent goal of learning how Hollywood does what it does so China can do it better. As The Wall Street Journal reported last summer, more sequels bombed than did not. Fortune called it “a summer of big flops.” MGM’s Ben-Hur, which was produced by Mark Burnett, cost $100 million and yet grossed only $11 million in its opening weekend.

Other urls found in this thread:

returnofkings.com/113286/hollywood-action-is-cucked-action
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>you will live to see the corrupt, bloated, Marxist media-machine sputter and die in your lifetime

I thank God for this opportunity and await its arrival.
The modern mainstream media is a broken, congested dinosaur that's been overdue for death for a decade now.

And once it's gone and irrelevant, politics will be free of their influence.
Free at last, free at last, thank the Lord we're free at last....

>time to shoot the dogs and and load the wagons. It's over
it's not like they didn't see this coming. People have been predicting a film ''bubble'' for years.

the age of the vidya has begun

The age of vidya ended in 2007. It's been shit since.

not to mention those who make good movies will survive. those who don't, won't. the way it should be.

you what, the vidya industry is in just as rotten shape as hollywood. their bobble isn't popping yet, but that doesnt mean they aren't in the same pit of mud. it doesnt innovate anymore, and it just makes the same kind of games year in year out, and each year the videogames get less interactive. And thats not mentioning the smartphone game market, which is only growing, as more people become more interested in something they can play on their phone on the bus

With the movie and music industry dying out, Hollywood will probably be on the verge of becoming Detroit 2.0

Movies have been shit since the 80s and the industry is only dying now, what's you're point?

>Jewlywood will have to pander to chinks now that no one wants to buy their shitty SJW flicks anymore
P O T T E R Y

>not to mention those who make good movies will survive. those who don't, won't. the way it should be.
Is this a good time to predict which actors will most likely not be around in 5 years? Probably overdose on coke/meth as their money starts to run-out.

>the age of the causal mobile vidya has begun
fixed that for you

>since the 80's thats just false. Theyve been shit since the turn of the millennium. The 90's still produced some original content worth mentioning.

all the liberal self righteous ones

It's because of the retarded budgets. I mean, how is it possible that this piece of absolute and objective shit costed AT LEAST 250 millions? More than the three LotR movies if I'm not mistaken.

>b-but inflation

Get the fuck out

So, Lena Dunham, Amy Schumer Mark Rufalo, ..............

Why doesn't Hollywood just pay actresses/actors less?

If you're going to name them all we'll be here all day.

Salary's were probably a big reason. If you pay the 6 stars 12 million each for 30 minutes of screen time and the rest 5 million or so........not to mention residuals.

True, but I would put the year as 2013 or so.

It's been on its last heels for some time. 2016 was when Hollywood officially entered a coma. I mean, hell, there's Hollywood -- the area in LA -- itself that's dying out.

At this point, it's a whole host of problems. Probably the biggest one, by far, is the quality of films. From big budget films to indies to Oscarbaits, there's just less craftsmanship and care in movies nowadays than in their equivalents of the past.

When the movies aren't truly satisfying, there's just less confidence to regularly see movies in theaters, since you're gambling on them being worth your time.

Hopefully they go broke and blow dick for coke at the docks and I will be there when it happens.

Because they're worth that much. Cinematography doesn't bring people to theaters, just look at Marvel movies.

Matt Damon will probably last. He still brings in the dough. I think Affleck wont be seen very much. Scarlett still has start power. Robert Downey Jr is only known as Iron Man. Just like Chris evans is either a heartthrob or Captain America.

they pay 100 million for some ass looking CGI that looks the same as 5 years ago, then what else; the actors don't get paid that much. I don't think a car chase costs near that much.

>Because they're worth that much

Clearly they aren't if most of the flops from the last 5 years have had big name actors/actresses as the main draw

So what is it people are doing with their spare time if it is not watching movies or playing vidya? Certainly not reading books or going outside.

>Scarlett still has start power.

She is literally irrelevant now Olson is on the team

Holly Jew is dying because of all the nepotism. Half of the actors, most of the directors and staff, most of the SFX teams

When it's clogging with that much shit it's no surprise people are saying no

I miss the big blockbusters of the 90's.

The Bravehearts and the Titanics. The big budget films that ended up being good.

Now we have "risk free" cgi capeshit universes with movies planned till +2020.

I want good historical epics, not Chris Evans in spandex. Adult films. Not kiddie series or nostalgia cashgrabs.

Movies from books, not magazines. Adult themes, practical effects mixed with CGI, not a movie done entirely on the green screen.

Protesting and looting

>Fighting political wars on twitter

Millenials aren't going to cinemas anymore since they'd rather stream it on the internet than pay $15 for that shit

All studios could do now is pump out soft-reboots for the man children and capeshit for the Chinese. Once that plan fails they're completely and utterly fucked

There are currently no female actresses that could lead a film and make it interesting enough for me to go and watch it.

Scarjo is a titcow who cant act. Same with J. Lawrence, Emma Stone etc. They are all shitty actresses who have a fanbase because you virgins drool after them.

>he thinks any American media is actually Marxist

While you may actually be dumb enough to espouse the view that the media giants are marxist (which is laughable considering they represent capitalism like very few business do), I don't think you quite understand what marxism or "cultural marxism" even mean.
Even if we are blind enough to beleieve that a multi-billion dollar business wants to do anything else than to earn even more billions, what you perceive as marxism is simply hollywood playing its game: making what they believe people want to see so as to earn more money. There is no degeneracy, there is only money and profit at work. I know we're all paranoid at Sup Forums, but this just irks me to no end. You guys accuse something of marxism by the smallest shred of evidence, all the while throwing market forces out of the fucking door.

Politics won't be free of anything, as facebook, twitter, reddit, Sup Forums, amazon and netflix have risen up to take the cultural monopoly from hollywood's hands - and that is an even worse fate. We are just as fucked as we've ever been, if not more.

Because a recognized actor/actress makes way more money than a good score on rotten tomatoes, only an oscar helps more

saoirse could but they don't give her a chance

>he thinks Cultural Marxism and Economic Marxism are the same thing

>J. Lawrence has a fanbase
That`s unlikely. She is sympathetic like a tumour.

And if they manage to make a hit film they always have to make a fucking sequel because it's guaranteed to make atleast some profit.

Movie franchises are disgusting.
It's like seeing that comfy corner diner turn into a McDonalds.

Hollywood is killing itself by minimizing risks. Safe bets turn into shitty movies.

shut up marxist scum

> TFW the Jews sold the chinks worthless Hollywood
CHIAMED

This already happened way back in the 70s.

Granted the medium will not die yet, but its probably coming closer to the peak. Anyone with a camera can make a movie. Once 4K, VR and CGI production becomes cheap and widespread, cinema (theaters) will be more accessible for much cheaper.

>he has never read anything by marx
>he thinks cultural marxism is actually a thing
>he thinks the frankfurt school liked Hollywood
>he thinks the frankfurt school promoted ""degeneracy""

I refuse to pay money to watch movies or tv. Haven't been to a theater in almost 10 years. Dropped cable tv two years ago. Torrent everything. Fuck giving money to jews and sjw crybaby idiot actors

Stop posting

90s was a shit decade for movies until '99. The 2000s at leats had good popcorn kino. 2010s are a 90s revival in this regard: Shit movies, good TV series, just like back then. Wait for 2020s, movies will get better again.

Sitting at home updating facebook.

In Germany, we say "Generation Biedermeier", Biedermeier was an epoch in the early to mid 19th century in Germany that was characterized by "it's hip to be square", kinda like today. Risk-averse, concentrating on home life etc.

>people who've never had so much as five figures in their bank account talking about billions as small amounts

... something is extremely wrong with this world.

Hollywood was never about money. It was always about communist propaganda. They just kept it secret until after Nixon when communism became kinda more popular.

They could stop vomiting the same predictable uncreative shit for starters, would be nice to watch original stuff with big budgets for a change.

Half the movies ever made have been anti-communist.

Just think about body snatchers, for a moment.

>he thinks the frankfurt school liked Hollywood
Horkheimer lived right next to Hollywood.

>here come the waifufags.
abandon all logic now

>half the movies ever made
>only one example

Hollywood is individualistic and bourgeois as fuck. They couldn't be further from Communist.

Body Snatchers was a critcism of McCarthy-era conformism. You're thinking of Night of the Living Dead.

Rich =/= bourgeois

Just look at apparatschiks.

worst thing is it's the mid-budget dramas and comedies with original screenplays that are totally dying out, unless they're oscar bait

everyone is union and trying to fuck everyone else for more money, they fuck the studio, the studios fuck the cinema chains and the chains fuck you, the consumer and then you fuck them all by torrenting

You know that's not happening unless you get a big name behind the camera or hot IP.

The theater model is need of major change. Quality movies only get so many asses in seats. You need to make the theater price for to be either more reasonable or better quality. A movie tavern is a step in the right direction in getting good seats, better food, and beer.

Its failing because its being taken over by liberal cucks.

returnofkings.com/113286/hollywood-action-is-cucked-action

>apparatchik: a person that held any position of bureaucratic and political responsibility
What?

I mean yeah, they're not really bourgeois as they don't own the means of production. But they're still incredibly wealthy and affluent, Communism would just damage that lifestyle.

>Anyone with a camera can make a movie.
Yeah. Maybe. Movie watchers will still gravitate toward notable or recognizable people, actors and directors.

But one thought that crossed my mind was that I made the same prediction with Youtube. I thought it would open up dialogue. But instead what we got were sjw/feminists clicks. Oh, man! I hope we don't see it with insufferable people making propaganda.

DING

DONG

THE KIKE IS DEAD

i think it has less to do wit the quality of filmmaking and more with the theatrical experiences

general public theaters are disgusting and uncomfortable and the films look like ass on shity screens after the first week and they dont even serve crab legs

I cannot wait to see it crash and take down all the kikes down the drain with it

The Writer's Strike remains one of the most damaging things done. They did it multiple times, most notably 1988 and again in 2007. Each time it killed shows that needed them. It reminded execs they don't need them as much as they think.

That couldn't be further from the truth. Stop equating identity politics with "Marxism". Karl Marx didn't even like those people. All this political correct crap is just a way to cynically try and milk profits from affluent members of the middle class because the rest of the population no longer has the spending power to support the mass media.

he meant Cultural Marxism

>unironically reading returnofkings
Kys

Hey I can play KOTOR on a tablet at work then flip over to a book should any co-worker/manager show up unannounced...

Keep making good shit touchpatible and I'm ok with it ....for now. It's that shit like Mobile Strike and everything that's like it (70 percent of the whole god damned google store) that ruins it.

Cultural Marxism a vague misnomer for post-modernism. It's just uses an ideology that has been dead since the 80s as a scapegoat for an ideology that already has a name.

you guys have to look up cultural marxism

it has nothing to do with real marxism

cultural marxism is a plan to destroy the west by dividing it´s population

the only reason why it is called cultural marxism is because a bunch of marxists came up with it to destroy western countries so that they could after then rebuild those countries under a communist regime

going into politics

the average Sup Forums user is under 18

half of the budget went to iron man alone

>Because a recognized actor/actress makes way more money

Not like they used to do. Nowadays there are no more actors or actresses that can bring people to the theaters with their name alone.

Cultural marxism doesn't have much to do with marx. The term is about putting all things into the current cultural contexts. The term should be "cultural uniformity." But that doesn't have any sort of negative connotation, so the square peg of marxism is forced into the circle made by the necessity for some statement that describes forced uniformity.

Thus, cultural marxism.

Don't get too hung up on the etymology. As its nothing but a pure emotional appeal. But it is not entirely without validity.

You're incorrect. Interior struggle within the ideological movement doesn't mean it isn't an ideological movement. You're moderately correct insofar as Hollywood Marxists were in the past primarily concerned with economic class as being the only relevant force in the dialectic. Then the Sixties happened. Now identity issues are the inseparable constituent form and substance of Marxism.

>Decline of the movie industry

Make it appeal to Chinese viewers, instant 3 billion.

Unions and actor budgets.

If it wasn't for SAG rules that everything has to be union you would shave off 1/3 to 1/2 of the cost of every movie.

But not just blatant shots of China or Chinese actors. It has to be tasteful like their love of cars or showing their government in a good light.

Sounds like theaters are dying but home viewing will stay strong.

So instead of some Apache helicopters shooting at Doomsday show some Z-10 helicopters, literally copy paste in post production.

3 billion $.

Didn't Spielberg and Lucas predict this years ago? Maybe the industry should have listened to them.

>Movie watchers will still gravitate toward notable or recognizable people, actors and directors
The star power era is pretty much over for every actor not named Tom Cruise or Leonardo Dicaprio. You don't need recognizable actors anymore, just hype and a good subject.

Of course following Directors is fair. They are the guys behind the fucking movies after all.

The weather is nice in Hollywood.
There's literally nothing wrong waifus, especially when it's kstew

And instead of paying for a single movie, you will buy whole sets of stuff, and the producers know exactly what sells using metrics and following what you stream.

Dude just because there is a lot of Sup Forums contrarian bullshit going on about Pulp Fiction or Forest Gump doesn't mean the 90s had no movies, get over yourself. Literally every 90s Oscars best pictures were better than 2016's.

TV is also better now. The 90s were just a chill decade, where everything was a bit better than average even books like Into The Wild and Fight Club were around, music was good with lots of variety, TV was better than the 80s but just all right and etc.

Silence of the Lambs, Unforgiven, Schindlers List, Braveheart, Titanic, American Beauty, Saving Private Ryan, Goodfellas (actual winners added) are all better than La La Land.

>returnofkings.com

Cultural marxism as defined by them doesn't actually exist. They mention the Frankfurt School because they were left wing (as in against capitalism) and most importantly Jews. The actual Frankfurt School hated Hollywood more than all of Sup Forums combined for precisely the same reasons as Sup Forums does.

cringed hard 10/10

The early and mid 90s had lots of great comedy movies though, same for animation. It was just blockbusters that sucked during that period.

I feel like Denzel might be the last one. All of his movies open to 30 million opening weekends pretty much everytime.

La La Land is the greatest and most patrician chick flick I've seen frankly.

>Scarjo is a titcow
not anymore

Last generation, the Xbox 360, the PS3 and the PSP each moved 80 million units. The Wii moved 100 million units, and the DS moved 154 million (!!!)

This generation, the best sellers are the PS4 and the 3DS, both of which have barely crawled past the 50 million mark while the WiiU, Xbox One and PlayStation Vita can barely manage 10 million.

That's got to be a disaster already, doesn't it? Half a Billion total consoles one generation, maybe 140 million the next.

And despite those predictions film sales, movie sales, and all that crap keeps increasing yearly. It's seems like it's finally plateauing. That it's gotten to a point where they just can't get any more sales in.

It's honestly amazing how Denzel hasn't appeared in capeshit yet. I think he and Cruise might be the last hold outs.