Daily Japanese Thread - DJT #1899

Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
djtguide.neocities.org/

Discuss the process of learning Japanese.

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PtHugtXVWlI
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rendaku
www3.nhk.or.jp/news/easy/k10011119661000/k10011119661000.html
core6000.neocities.org/hjgp/entries/882.htm
twitter.com/AnonBabble

what exactly is the point of this

現実逃避

You DO know Japanese is literally impossible, right? fucking weebs

Sorry dude, I can't process information outside of Anki anymore. Could you put this into flash cards?

You DO know Japanese is literally impossible, right? fucking weebs

Literally impossible to what? Learn? Fucking brainlet.

Fucking weeabbos you're the shame of the family.

Don't you have a shitty grammar guide to shill on Reddit?

Sua bixa homosexual. Wee-a-boo. Wee-a-boo.

Sou eu quem praticava bullying com você na escola, viadinho.

wtf i HATE japan now

何だこれ
日本が嫌いになった

「なんじゃこりゃ?!」の方が正しそう

いいえ「何それ」って最高。

What does mean ここまで来た?

Its mean ようこそここまで来られましたわね

"(something) came this far"

It could mean many things depending on the verbal and non-verbal context

Thank

Could someone write the lyrics to this

youtube.com/watch?v=PtHugtXVWlI

可愛すぎてもう限界だ、死ぬぞ

俺は子供たちは現代このゲームをしているっての理由はよく分かるよ。彼らはマインクラップに茶色の煉瓦たちを建てるのは大好きだから!

>reading japanese text on imageboards/forums and searching up unknown words on jisho
Would this be an effective way of learning?

perfectly effective

Fucking 500 cards from the anki deck today. At this rate, how long until I can start reading some basic phrases?

Can you send Heinz Baked Beans to Japan?

My fiance misses them and I am thinkingofsending her some over for her birthday.

Why is it spelt senbonzakura and not senbonsakura?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rendaku

Have hiragana down. After I'm done with katakana, would doing a grammar guide and starting Anki deck for kanji be a good path to take?
Will probably go through the Genki workbooks too.

獺祭
arraying a number of reference books in order to compose poetry; literary composition crammed with maxims, ancient episodes, legends, etc.

>otters lining a catch of fish on a river bank
I can't learn japanese

Dear Japanese people, can someone please write out the Japanese text? I'm trying to find the name of the publisher.

The publisher is 新潮社.

How many mature cards do you have?

what is she saying? can't understand shit

Yeah. I recommend writing practice too.

I don't know, how can I check? My total number of unique cards I have studied at this point is 211 unique cards

休日もらえて嬉しいわ
離れた所に住んでる息子夫婦(?)のところに?出でるし
おもちも(name)くんが一緒なら安心

I can't even read some of these kanji and guessed from context. Hand written tiny chicken scratches are the worst

What on Earth are you talking about? You've studied 211 unique cards but you had 500 reviews in a day? Are you sure you didn't mean 50?

Anki counts reviews according to number of answers, not unique cards.

I'm fully aware of this, but if you've got 500 reviews in a day and only 211 unique cards studied, you're doing something horribly, totally wrong.

LOL!!!!!!!!!

Learned the hiragana in an hour.

Blow me.

Not if you're one of those idiots that presses "again" the first time you see new cards and you're doing 50 new cards a day.

Yup, there's your problem, 50 new cards a day. Unless you're re-reviewing all forgotten cards multiple times throughout the day (assuming you're using default interval settings), you're not going to retain that many cards for the next day.

Anyway, the number of mature cards is displayed at the bottom of your statistics page, or on the last statistics page if you're using ankidroid. I'm not sure how long an interval needs to be before Anki considers a card "mature," but it seems to be somewhere around the 1-month mark. Truthfully, you should be able to read simple phrases before you start Core, since you should have encountered basic vocabulary when you studied grammar first.

>your problem
Look, I know you spend too much time on anonymous forums to be rational, but when I speak of someone else in the third person like "not if you're one of those idiots", they are probably not me. Fuck off.

So part of the reason I'm hitting 500 is that I have been pulling in the entire deck every day from inception, and try to review as many previous cards as possible

There is a way to see it beforehand?

I should point out I'm on ankidroid if that makes a difference

>There is a way to see it beforehand?
No, you just don't press "again" if it's in the new group. New cards become learning queue cards after the first time you see them and never go back to the new card queue.

Oh, and it looks like none of my cards are mature at this point, just say the statistics

Saw*

>I have been pulling in the entire deck every day from inception
Well, I can't imagine that that's a bad thing for your retention, but it somewhat defeats the purpose of the program.

No, it doesn't, actually.

No lad, he is right. If anything, I am mostly using it for the fact that the flashcards have been prebuilt for me, and not really utilizing the schedule it tries to give

Could you explain what's wrong with this?

Like I said before, you really ought to be able to read simple phrases LONG before you start core. As far as reading in general goes, I was able to start reading Yotsubato!, slowly and painfully, at around 600 mature cards. This was after having completed an introductory Japanese learning program called Human Japanese, which I studied with before I came to DJT.

It fucks up your stats and wastes several seconds. It doesn't do any good for your ability to remember the card; the "Again" timer is too short.

He's not right. Anki is about spacing, not about regulated addition of new cards. The "purpose" of the program is long term retention of things that have already been added. Your habits in adding cards are completely personal.

This guy just said he's reviewing the entire deck every day, if that doesn't defeat the purpose of "spaced repetition" I don't know what does.

He's not reviewing the entire deck every day. He's "pulling in" the deck every day. There's a very big difference.

Sorry, I'm probably not being clear enough. I am reviewing the entire deck every day, by making a custom study deck and reviewing all previously forgotten cards, creating an ever increasing deck

As long as you do normal reviews first, that doesn't defeat the purpose of Anki at all. It's stupid, but it's not against spaced repetition's philosophy.

Okay, O' Wise-and-Enlightened One, bequeath to this humble mongrel, through your proverbial and illustrious speech, knowledge of the "very big difference(tm)" between "reviewing" and "pulling in" the entire deck every day.

Reviewing is a passive process where the cards are already there. "Pulling in" is the act that constitutes putting the cards somewhere. This could be anything: adding all available new cards, doing a custom study, etc.

>He's not reviewing the entire deck every day
>I am reviewing the entire deck every day

Why do you insist that he meant something other than what he said?

Check the order in which those posts were posted, dumbass.

>I'm doing Y
>He's doing X
>He's not doing X, he's doing Y
>Actually I'm doing Y
>Why would you say he's doing X
>He didn't say he's doing X, he said he's doing Y
>But he said he's doing Y
It's time to stop posting.

It's so dumb that even you messed it up.
>I'm doing Y
>He's doing X
>He's not doing X, he's doing Y
>Actually I'm doing X
>Why would you say he's doing Y
>He didn't say he's doing X, he said he's doing Y
>But he said he's doing Y

なぜだ
こんなに偉いミームをポストしたのに誰も返事しなかった…
自分でやろうかなぁ…
「茶 色 の 煉 瓦」

www3.nhk.or.jp/news/easy/k10011119661000/k10011119661000.html
>インターネットに出ている悪口などを写真に撮って送ることができます。
Here it's 出て + いる is post + exist so "posted" right?

Also, does the meaning of ている correspond to the type of verb (stative, dynamic, durative, etc.) it's attached to?

the cancer killing djt

Is it even possible to learn how to read in Kanji?

no give up now

>all that autism
what the fuck is wrong with Americans?

what exactly does もとより add to this sentence?

core6000.neocities.org/hjgp/entries/882.htm

thanks pal

>tfw your total mature cards have been on a decrease ever since putting 10 second time limit on recall

So you're saying you know the words but it takes you too long to think of it? That means either

-Read more
-Read more, but also don't worry so much about the precise meaning when doing anki (the reading is more important)

>So you're saying you know the words but it takes you too long to think of it
I still forget a lot even if I had no time limit, but it's much worse now (sub-50%). But my review time is half of what it used to be even with 1.5x the amount of reviews I was doing back then.

> but also don't worry so much about the precise meaning when doing anki
I don't know how strict people are with this but I mostly press "again" if I don't recall all the meanings.

e.g. today I think I only recalled "attention" for 注意 instead of "attention, care, watch out", and for 得意 I forgot "pride" and only recalled "one's forte, customer" so I hit again. I'd also press "again" (or "hard" at best) if I recalled, for example, something like "grand scale" instead of "large scale" for 大型.

Sometimes I can also understand a word from looking at it without translating it to english (and I've forgotten the english translation), and I'll press again for that too.

>I don't know how strict people are with this but I mostly press "again" if I don't recall all the meanings.

Yeah that's stupid. Often these words only have one real meaning and the english words given are just different approximations. JAPANESE IS NOT ENGLISH.. You'll learn the real meanings through reading - your goal with anki is just to decrease the likelyhood you need to look the word up when you come across it in reading.

What does くらい mean when it's attached to the end of a word?

Also, for the words that do have lots of actually unique meanings, it's even sillier to learn them all because they are often idiomatic (かける) or some are much more common than others

I'm just worried I'll assign too general meanings to a word and I'll end up having words thinking they mean the same thing.

e.g. the words 割れる, 壊れる and 折れる appear fairly far apart in core. If I only assigned thought of something in general "breaking" for these 3, I wouldn't know the difference.

But for 折る and 折れる which only appeared for the first time in the last week, I've had to press again every day so far because I always forget at least one meaning.

Depends on the context.
to the degree of ~
about (roughly) ~

>e.g. the words 割れる, 壊れる and 折れる appear fairly far apart in core. If I only assigned thought of something in general "breaking" for these 3, I wouldn't know the difference.

It's fine to think they are approximately the same thing at first. You'll figure out most differences through reading. You can also get stricter with time. Right now, you're wasting too much time on anki already probably that could be spend reading (or doing more words in anki so you can read sooner). But when you've run out of new words and are down to 20 minutes a day it's a lot easier to be stricter.

>I'm just worried I'll assign too general meanings to a word and I'll end up having words thinking they mean the same thing.
don't worry about that, man
as you come across these words in a variation of contexts "in the wild", you'll pick up on nuance
treat vocab in Anki like a grabbing point on a climbing wall and use reading to actually climb the wall
much easier this way

憧れは理解から最も遠い感情だよ

Something about understanding or admiration?

Admiration is the furthest emotion from understanding (logic).

There is no problem in learning shatter, break and destroy as synonyms until you can really tell the difference.

Go for general meanings, unless it changes meanings.
For instance, if "large scale" means using big metrics but "grand scale" means kinda like "the grand scheme of things", that's a fairly distant meaning and shouldn't be considered the same.

You have to get the pronunciation right and the meaning just right enough, since nuance will come with reading.

I'm reading a book while listening along to the audiobook-recording of it at the same time (Harry Potter).

I'm seeing the word 一角獣 in the text, but narrator is saying ユニコーン.
I'm reading 提灯, but in the audiobook I hear ランタン.

How does the narrator knows or why does he chooses to use the English word instead of いっかくじゅう and ちょうちん for those kanji?
Why didn't the translator himself write those words out in katakana?

different versions maybe?

It's likely an artistic choice.

Should I put this before the hot water or after hot water?

it doesn't say anything about water, as far as I can tell you put that shit directly on whatever you want to eat

よく、ここまで来たもんだ
I've finally reached here
ええね
>インターネットに出ている悪口などを写真に撮って送ることができます。
in this case, 出ている means "appeared"
You can take pic of the trash talk appeared on the Internet and send them.