Can anyone explain Harsh Noise to me?

What about this appeals to any fans of harsh noise out there? I'm not slating the fans, i'm honestly just curious about the what they like about the music.

I don't mind harsh noise as interludes or harsh noise aspects within tracks.

Attached: Pulse Demon.jpg (220x220, 29K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?time_continue=117&v=iB1P9lHRC50
youtube.com/watch?time_continue=144&v=Iqk_p0JIae4
youtube.com/watch?v=e1zNPiI8POs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

There’s nothing to get. Harsh noise fans only pretend to enjoy it, and are actually psued dudes

It's like ambient music but it fills up your brain more.

It's the current hipster endgame. They derive superiority from liking things that no one else likes, so they'll seek out more and more abrasive soundscapes to alienate even more people from their "music" of choice in order to become even more contrarian. I'm excited to see where the endgame ends up in a few years.

It's not supposed to be thought as a song where you're like "my favorite part is coming!". More or less just engaging your ear as a whole. Kinda the opposite of ambient, but the same desired results. Some people can mediate on it and it's kinda interesting how quiet everything becomes around you when you're done. Basically, just clears your brain by stimulating your ear so you just focus on that.

Or they simply like it?
>I don't understand this music
>It sucks
>People who listen to it are pseuds
Happy 16 newfriends.

I don't meditate cause i am not a filthy hippie or a soy boy that follows gurus on youtube and expects to improve his life quality by breathing and shutting its eyes.
But that user got something right
> it's kinda interesting how quiet everything becomes around you when you're done.
With this being said even if harsh noise is one of my favourite music genres i don't listen solely to it. Post-rock, Ambient, Math rock, Noise rock, Atm sludge metal and experimental music are all welcomed. It depends on my mood.

Harsh noise can be really enjoyable if it's actually good; unfortunately, whenever anybody mentions harsh noise, it's usually attached with a picture of or otherwise mentions Pulse Demon. Pulse Demon is fucking terrible for harsh noise and I hate that people listen to it and think "wow harsh noise is fukin terrible people enjoy THIS???"

>I don't meditate cause i am not a filthy hippie or a soy boy that follows gurus on youtube and expects to improve his life quality by breathing and shutting its eyes.
it actually feels like peaking on MDMA, but keep raging against that machine

>I don't meditate cause i am not a filthy hippie or a soy boy that follows gurus on youtube and expects to improve his life quality by breathing and shutting its eyes.
You could have just said you don't understand what meditating is. I also like to think it's like a palate cleanser for the ears.

It's funny as fuck

And mostly I hate that people get their impression of what harsh noise is because of Pulse Demon because it's the most popular work within the genre, even though a grave amount of its popularity is derived from shock value.

I used to listen to a lot of noise. I had like 70 merzbow albums on my iPod, almost got through them all. I also have the Pulse demon CD and Ouroboros. And dont worry, I did explore beyond the most obvious picks. I just wanted to explore a sound I hadnt before. Mostly I got into the japanoise sound of things, but occaisonally dabbled in power electronics and stuff but the cringeworthy "offensive" aesthetic of some of those bands turns me off. I like merzbow (seen him live twice) because his songs are very long and dynamic. I also really liked watching the bands live shows on youtube. They bring a whole new element to it. Merzbow is very meditative, he barely moves on stage. But artists like keiji haino and hijokaidan bring a completely new aspect to their music through their performance which is usually very emotional. Im the kind of person who is strongly affected by empathy and abstract expression. When I watch this kind of performance art, I feel the music potentiates my understanding of the other persons inner feelings. I guess I like noise because its something different and purely improvised. I really recommend seeing a noise show live, in person though. Even though i used to, i rarely listen to noise at home anymore. I mostly listen to dance music these days. But when you see it live it affects you in a completely different way. I am disappointed by some of the responses ITT.

>it actually feels like peaking on MDMA,
true. many dont even consider this but its literally how it feels

It's a meme.

That's what a hippie would reply to me on yt's comment section.
No because i have tried it in the past, my ex would always keep telling me how benefitial meditation is. I tried it couple of times and i realised it was a way to make peace with your thoughts whether they are shitty, worrying or whatever. But then again, i have made peace with my shitty side long time ago, meditation is a waste of time unless you are a weakling who gets stressed or scared by his own thoughts.

First time I was successful (this happened after practicing with guided meditation for some time) i felt like I had took mdma. I literally couldnt believe it for a few minutes

It scares my coworkers

It's more art than music. I've never had a harsh noise song stuck in my head but I think its really interesting to listen to. IMO merzbeat is better than pulsedemon. Or at least more easy to listen to

Merz is the entry level artist for noise, normie friendly. Nothing to do with harsh noise unless you are also new to noise.

and it wasnt "kind of like it" it was exactly like mdma, it was so surprising to me I got distracted out of the meditative state.

>Nothing to do with harsh noise unless you are also new to noise.
pulse demon is harsh noise dumbass. Most of his laptop stuff is.

>Basically, just clears your brain by stimulating your ear so you just focus on that.

This I can fully agree with. I sometimes listen to harsh noise before listening to a new album and it feels like I can appreciate it more.

t. newfriend

Really enjoy it (can't listen to anything non-formless at this point tbqh) and also participate in my local scene. I enjoy this formless music because when it is good, it feels like pure emotion, it doesn't rely on the crutch that is language. There is nothing to get, you submit yourself to sound and experience it through your body while letting it thrash it around. It gives me a break from my head, which keeps me sane. Also, keep in mind, I have the experience of live shows with much better volume levels and sound quality.

Attached: guitar.jpg (2007x2007, 683K)

It depends on how you listen to it. It can be like a static noise, like drone or ambient music and kind of fill in the gaps in the silence. When you're actively listening to it you can either try and control what you hear and you enter a meditative type phase, where because its the only thing you can hear you ignore it and think about other things. Or you can focus on the music and work out the patterns that are happening. For all the memes Pulse Demon is a pretty simple piece of music and if focus enough you can pick out purpose of intent with the varying arrangements of the noise, its jut difficult because its awful clanging fucking noise. But if you can there is a deep sense of enjoyment from being able to discern the progress of the music.

Sounds like you were lead down the wrong path and got into that pseudo-spiritual stuff. The whole idea of meditation is to train your mind to focus on one thing. If you want to be alone with your thoughts you can do that at night when you're trying to sleep and let your mind wander. Meditation can measurably improve your focus, which is research backed. If you listen to a lot of noise, I wouldn't be surprised if you do it unintentionally.

I admire Harsh noise for the same reasons I live Drone, Ambient, and Noise feedback. Besides adding another layer of audible texture to the track, it's so distinctive that it makes me feel things other genres typically couldn't make me feel. When my other music biddy hears it, he tells me he can't hear anything beyond the mess, but I can always hear melodies and rhythm to it, even if it wasn't made to have one and was just for the fuck of it.

I was lead by a woman, of course i went down the pseud path. Then i met with my normie friends after a long period of time me being abroad and they were all discussing about some shitty ass gurus on youtube, like Alan Watts. Checked him later on youtube only to realise that spirituality was the new trend for snowflakes to feel special.
But i find interesting that part of what you said
>If you want to be alone with your thoughts you can do that at night when you're trying to sleep
ever since i was a kid i would do that, go to bed 1 hour earlier simply to lay down and process my thoughts and i still do it every now and then only to realise how fucking great i am and then fall asleep.

>meditation is a waste of time unless you are a weakling who gets stressed or scared by his own thoughts.
Ironic considering it sounds like you're the one poster in this thread who needs it the most. Lashing out on other's practices just because it 'didnt work' for you and claiming it's a waste of time for all implies you're not at peace at all. Meditation is basically collecting and organizing your thoughts and feelings so you can think and feel what you want to, when you want to; a way to master yourself so you're not a slave to your own thoughts and actions. If that sounds like a waste of time to you, then I'm genuinely interested in what you believe isn't a waste of time.

Are all harsh noise fans this retarded?

Every noise recording (usually) sounds different. With noise you are free to literally make or do whatever the fuck you want. Its the freedom that makes me love it

:/

How about taking your life into your own hands and spend more time into action rather than thinking and worrying about shit that might never happen in the end? At least that's how i have dealt with my life so far and the results are far more than satisfying.
So i need meditation cause i am lashing out on people? If you had a 16 year old kid who got self diagnosed with depression what would you say to your kid? Let's take some zolofts or grow a fucking pair, what you experienced so far is only a gentle slap from life, it gets worse.
I would do the latter.
youtube.com/watch?time_continue=117&v=iB1P9lHRC50
Most definitely there is something wrong with our bunch. But if anything the only feeling i have towards normies like you is superiority and i am only here to confirm this belief. Now that you completed your part in my day, leave me alone.

its just that your opinions are ill informed, anecdotal and poorly expressed.

Read my post before projecting next time. It's also very unhealthy to force what you think worked for you into others as if it's the one and only way that guarantees any form of success. It's great if it works for you but there's no need to debase others for trying something that would otherwise work for them and not you, that's the point. I would hope you don't do the latter onto a child with depression, you'd probably just egg them onto suicide and call them weak after the fact as if you gave them all the answers to life.

Cause my english are a 6/10.

>Most definitely there is something wrong with our bunch. But if anything the only feeling i have towards normies like you is superiority and i am only here to confirm this belief. Now that you completed your part in my day, leave me alone.
Jesus, imagine being this far inside your own ass to hide from the issues inside yourself. Get a therapist.

You hanging in there buddy?

thanks for the link atleast

That spiritual stuff usually is just people making religion pretentious. Like "I'm on a different level" or "I can see my soul" and you can't so listen to me talk about it for hours on end.
>then only to realise how fucking great i am and then fall asleep
lol. I just always had a hard time falling asleep and used to do this. More or less trying to find meaning in my life, but realizing I was smarter than most people.

I enjoy it, it's kinda relaxing to me for some reason. Really don't know why.

This is completely contrarian and stinks of pseud newfaggotry, did you discover noise last week?
Merz has released multiple masterpieces

You should also read my posts as it seems because i didn't force anything upon anyone.
Well if that advice didn't work i would send it to a shrink or something. It would be my kid after all. We are here trying to have a discussion after all the only problem is i don't change my mind so conversations can turn into debates for me.
But this personality of mine is the perfect bait for women with empathetic nature, they all love trying to fix me.
Yeah? What's up, how you doing?
You're welcome
youtube.com/watch?time_continue=144&v=Iqk_p0JIae4
Here is one more. One of my 10s.

Attached: 1501777733357.jpg (200x255, 7K)

Starting at 27:00

youtube.com/watch?v=e1zNPiI8POs

>i don't meditate cause i am not a filthy hippie or a soy boy that follows gurus on youtube and expects to improve his life quality by breathing and shutting its eyes.
Then the judeo-xtians have won. There is a energy that is in every life form. Meditation is strengthening that energy and is knowledge that has been hidden from humanity for 2000 years.

Attached: download (6).jpg (196x258, 10K)

>conflating industrial with noise

> the cringeworthy "offensive" aesthetic of some of those bands turns me off.
Damn dude, hit the nail on the head there.

I was into my local harsh noise scene back in college. It was basically a boys club of frustrated single males and fetishists.
I enjoyed live shows a lot, because the crowds go fucking crazy. But I would never listen to this stuff for enjoyment.

)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

this this this

my dudes

opinion discarded btw

Question is if you managed to find some sort of meaning that remains there during the course of time.
Are you able to read user? i didn't say that vegan cunt Merz has not released good records, i just said that this is entry level solely because he is one of the most well known noise artists.

>Well known = Entry level
Stop posting.

>nothing to do with harsh noise
>has some of the most outstanding entries in the genre and is unanimously agreed to be a great
sorry retardo maybe you should read your own posts before you start spouting shart out of your dick

I want to take this bait so hard but my mind is telling me no.
I didn't say it was noise..
i care btw haHAA

Don't be mad, he is entry level, you are basic, end of discussion.

>twitch emotes and expressions outside of twitch

stop posting anytime

Attached: 1509090192798.jpg (320x265, 6K)

Christ look at the edgelords arguing about meditation on a fucking thread about noise music. Sup Forums is truly pathetic.

Exactly this.

I also like it because it's really good for drowing out the sounds of the world around you. It's kinda a more musical alternative of listening to straight up white noise.

>posts twitch memes on reddit

Attached: wut.png (335x393, 169K)

>being this new

So I'm unironically playing this album for the first time right now and I love it. I'll let you know when I figure out why.

Attached: coffin.png (336x680, 537K)

>haHAA
cringe

LOL

>not wanting to get brainfucked by japanese guy with a MacBook

are you fucking dumb or something?

>thinking that harsh noise is normie friendly

Attached: 27867953_184578488978230_2562113514267430880_n.jpg (488x463, 21K)

its basically the endgame of any music fan if they continually delve deeper into new stuff

Let's be real, Merzbeat isn't nearly as harsh as some of the dumb shit that Black Moth Super Rainbow does sometimes. I literally can't listen to Dandelion Gum, it's thoughtless trash. But there's little to object to on Merzbeat. It comes down to whether or not you can appreciate what he's trying to do with it and considering its grounding in samples from popular music and beats and stuff it really can't be that hard to get into.

>Merzbeat is representative of Merzbow's entire catalog

Attached: 1468506669063.png (645x729, 57K)

>it's the endgame of any music fan to become a snob who pretends to like the most unlikable recording he can find and isolates himself based on his self-perceived musical intelligence

this
Got there ten years ago then went back

You literally did the inverse of that by pretending that Merzbeat doesn't exist.

hardcore ambient

theres nothing really to get about it, its pretty self explanatory. I guess i listen to it for the textures. I find also its more fun to make it than to listen to it

kek i listen to fucking static what intelligence are you talking about. its literally the end of the road, the most primal barbaric thing ever, a complete deconstruction of what we call music. if i would want to be snob faggot i would be a hardcore classicalfag

see see

What are you even talking about, Merzbeat is a poor introduction to noise because at that point it's far removed from noise music, it's more akin to industrial with noise elements and I'd wager people can enjoy it with 0 interest in noise music or exploring it further. Sure you can still call it entry level but in what fucking fashion does that make the vast majority of Merzbow's music accessible or entry level? It's such an irrelevant step-over project in his discography it's not even quantifiable as a gateway to noise music, people hear about Merzbow before Merzbeat not the other way around, they're just drawn to Merzbeat because it's listenable to them, they're not listening to it because they're interested in noise to begin with, it's a tourist album.

this. how is listening to noise intellectual or snobbish? it's like the more primitive music can get, and its great

yea ive shown merzbeat to ppl who dont like noise and theyve liked it. i think a good entry level merz album that is actually harsh is 1930