Were they goth?

Were they goth?

Attached: 118134586.jpg (1024x1024, 57K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/1WiE3OmZ1A0
youtube.com/watch?v=iMrOMye0tR4
youtube.com/watch?v=y5jmB4xgNWw
youtube.com/watch?v=Wx3JG9M25tU
youtube.com/watch?v=hq96AwXHuNA
youtu.be/5ddDXskyTIc
youtu.be/_7X052kLYYY
youtu.be/rcagKNDCEes
youtu.be/r9AfAB9Dqv8
youtube.com/watch?v=83o__xGJzVU
youtu.be/6WXKKQZYfjw
youtube.com/watch?v=qpI8lsD6VCg
youtube.com/watch?v=ziI0qYSz11o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

You tell me.
youtu.be/1WiE3OmZ1A0

Attached: IMG_20180327_121709.jpg (879x720, 70K)

Man, she was pretty hot when she was young. I'm not trying to turn this into a waifu thread or anything, but damn.

So no?

I prefer to look at the Banshees(and a lot of the other "goth" bands as well) as a highly sophisticated pop band more than anything else.
When I think of "goth" I think of tacky instantly dated shit like Specimen or the Southern Death Cult.

youtube.com/watch?v=iMrOMye0tR4
youtube.com/watch?v=y5jmB4xgNWw
youtube.com/watch?v=Wx3JG9M25tU
youtube.com/watch?v=hq96AwXHuNA

Tinderbox is an outstanding album.

This. Souxsie transcends genres. The Banshees dabbled in punk, post-punk, psychedelic rock, minimal synth, tribal, dance, noise, even fucking classical to a degree. Some of the orchestral shit even sounds like symphonic metal. It's crazy.

>I don't like goth
>therefore bands I like can't be

Were they better than the cure?

Basically what said. Yes Siouxsie & The Banshees are a "goth" band, and they're adored by goths the world over, but just calling them a "goth" band is selling them short.

reminds me pale waves.

wasted digits

I really like when they use Asian instruments.

Check out some of their B-sides if you like their more experimental worldly stuff.

youtu.be/5ddDXskyTIc
youtu.be/_7X052kLYYY
youtu.be/rcagKNDCEes

>this was released in 1980

youtu.be/r9AfAB9Dqv8

youtube.com/watch?v=83o__xGJzVU

"Goth" is a very reductive term and it brings up a very trite and unappealing image in most people's minds when they hear the word. Like the other dude said, it doesn't really do justice to most of the genuinely great bands that tend to get referred to as being "goth".
I'd never try to sell someone on Cocteau Twins or Killing Joke or The Birthday Party by calling them great goth bands.

?
What song is more distinctly 80s minimal electronic than that? Maybe sweet dreams because it's more popular

It's almost as though those are all genres from which goth/death rock draws major influence

This fucking board, jesus christ.

>they all have paddle guitars
I'm starting to hate them now

Were U2 post-punk?

that's because pale waves are trying to be Siouxsie & The Banshees

Reminder that they were also the first Oi! band youtu.be/6WXKKQZYfjw

The Scream [Polydor, 1978]
Hippies were rainbow extremists; punks are romantics of black-and-white. Hippies forced warmth; punks cultivate cool. Hippies kidded themselves about free love; punks pretend that s&m is our condition. As symbols of protest, swastikas are no less fatuous than flowers. So it's not surprising that Siouxsie Sioux, punks' exemplary fan-turned-artist, should prove every bit as pretentious as model-turned-rocker Grace Slick or film-student manqué Jim Morrison. Nor is it surprising that while the spirit is still upon her she should come up with a tunefully atonal, modestly sensationalistic album. B+

Attached: christgau4.jpg (300x225, 24K)

How is this a review? He just spouted some pretentious bullshit and called it a day.

Both are great.

Attached: 1521340500638.png (480x601, 452K)

are you special

What else do you expect from Christgau?

Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me and Tinderbox are two out of three of the best pop albums of the 80s(third being Darklands), so I'd say they're about equal.

youtube.com/watch?v=qpI8lsD6VCg

One of the best ever, by anyone.

Once Upon a Time/The Singles [PVC, 1981]
Like Jim Morrison, greatest of the pop posers, Siouxsie Pseud disguises the banality of her exoticism with psychedelic gimmicks most profitably consumed at their hookiest, and voila. Although two of the four unavailable-on-album 45s on this compilation go nowhere, most of these nightmare vignettes are diverting placebos, of a piece even though they span three years of putative artistic development. B+

>using pretentiously florid language to hide the fact you have no meaningful critiques
Fucking Hairthony Linetano is a more thorough critic than Christgau.

Certainly had way less duds in their career but I think The Cure's peaks were higher

If you're recommending music to someone who doesn't want to listen to something because of what its "termed" as then they're probably not that interested in new music in the first place.

I'm honestly not sure whether to be glad or sad about Christgau being taken less and less seriously by people with the passing of time.
On one hand, his understanding of a lot of the music that he's reviewing often strikes me as completely surface level and the general style of his writing is disgustingly smug and self-involved.
On the other, a lot of the people shitting on him are the same people who take Anthony Fantano seriously and prop up his joke of a career, and that guy is just a complete fucking non-entity in every regard. There's nothing going on with that guy at all, he's got nothing of worth to say about anything at all.
At least Christgau has some panache and wit to him.

You should be glad about it. Christgau's critique is absurd. Fantano isn't worth really taking seriously, but at least he tries to dissect and analyze the music in some capacity rather than just trying to come off as scathing for the sake of appearing highly cultured. Panache and wit might make him a good satirical comedian but it makes him a shitty art critic.

youtube.com/watch?v=ziI0qYSz11o

>Panache and wit might make him a good satirical comedian but it makes him a shitty art critic.

Point.
Some of Christgau's longer writing is pretty alright. I like his Rolling Stones pieces.

>Dark-punk's most overrated artist, Siouxsie has left behind very few compositions that deserve to be remembered. Most of her "music" was actually attitude, and therein lies her importance. She was an icon, and undoubtedly influenced bands worldwide. Goth-rock would not be a widespread phenomenon without her. But, unlike her model Nico, she was "only" an icon, and never a musician. Thanks to heavy promotion from major labels since the beginning of her career, she did achieve a bigger commercial success that the rest of dark-punk's emaciated ranks but at the expense of sacrificing whatever little originality her music had. If nothing else, the commercial scam helped give the genre some credibility with labels, which in turn materialized in a broader acceptance of gothic music worldwide. That is what Siouxsie will be remembered for.

Attached: thelegend.jpg (525x700, 91K)

Will they ever make a comeback?
Siouxsie was in gr8 shape when she released her solo album
>tfw that was more than 10yrs ago and remember when it came out