Asian vs Western cinematography

Just watched this, some questions..

How come nowadays hollywood is shitting out block buster movies even though 1/10 of them are actually remotely mediocre, and the rest are just capeshit generic flicks. I understand that they gross from all the milenials giving them money, but don't western people have any taste anymore? literally watching brain dead movies, keep feeding hollywood than they give you the same shit over and over..

On the contrary, i don't really watch asian movies since i find them odd, but i have to say after watching this one, it made me change perspective.

In asian cinema, its not about the quantity of movies, but rather the quality. They submit every single detail to it, the story becomes one with the setting.

For example, this movie had:

>interesting plots
>mind inducing scenes
>beautiful clipping
>on point characters
>superb ending

While the asian cinema does very few notable movies, these movies come out to be very well defined and thought through, they are essentially master pieces, but still unknown to the western civilization, how come?

Tldr; Why do people from western counries choose to watch hollywood garbage movies and fund them, while there are movies like this one out there?

Also, discuss this subject.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Futoshi_Matsunaga
japantimes.co.jp/news/2001/03/22/national/couple-handed-death-sentence-for-poisoning-four/#.WJB1_7UxHYU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Also, sorry for bad English.

Kyoshi Kurosawa is in no way comparable to Hollywoodian blockbuster cinema, lol.

off topic but, I really fucking wish western movies hired asian women that are as attractive as the ones in asian films like in OPs pic.

Lack of marketing and familiarity. Why do you think half the big blockbuster movies are based on comics and other shit for manchildren. It's easier to relate and to digest to what you know I suppose.
Another big factor imo is that a lot of people just don't like/want to read.

Creepy was really good though, I can definitely see some people being frustrated by the second half or call it unrealistic. I'm pretty sure Kurosawa was influenced by this case though
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Futoshi_Matsunaga
It definitely came to mind for me when I was watching it atleast.

Creepy is a piece of shit though.

This

True kinosawa is Cure

Indeed it isin't, in a good way.

Weeb kys.

I agree with everything you say, but do you think asian cinema is going to reach for western market? i saw that one chinese movie with Matt Damon in it, maybe they are trying to reach for western audiance?

Either you haven't watched it, or you have plebian taste. Sorry.

Pulse is better tbqh

It's only anecdotal, but I watched a few Korean shows on netflix the other day and every single one had this cheesy soap opera feeling about it. Everything from the soft 'days of our lives' tier lighting, the hammy writing and cliches. I've seen some Korean movies that were decent but their TV seems to suck ass.

Anyone got any good asian thrillers/crime shows? Did they ever do any series in the vain of those classic '90's hong kong crime movies? I really like non-english cop shows for some reason. But they need to be english subbed as I don't speak moonrune

I'm loving the ching chong films these days, especially from korea, but this film was flat out shit.

Objectively wrong

Pulse isn't even good

The Asian market is pretty self sustaining so I'm not sure if they'll try to branch out. China seems to be more ambitious and they're buying western film studios left and right but the Chinese seem to eat up Hollywood blockbuster shit so I'm not sure if they're the best example.
There have been more international releases lately though ie. Shin Godzilla, Your Name, The Handmaiden etc so who knows.
I know Japan is trying to rebrand they're whole "Cool Japan" thing and get more people to visit before the Olympics so who knows.
Ideally they'd just release more shit with English subtitles at launch, fansubbers tend to focus on idol shit and mainstream garbage some lesser known films take ages to get subbed if at all.

Your 'objective' opinion is garbage my friend

Jap films are trash even Korean is better.

Now Middle East and South America they're the ones making all the Kino.
Kill yourself Wapanese.

I've been watching a lot of japanese movies. I like how slow some of them are. Korean movies are kind of slow to. It was something I had to get used to, but lead to a better immersion in the story.

also, who is this gook on the right? is it my imagination, or is he in every korean movie?

Because you don't hear about the Asian movies that are mediocre or complete shit. Also don't forget that Asia IS the reason why blockbuster movies have become absolutely terrible, you little gook fuck.

Take it back, faggot, japanese movies are the best and also the most influential.

Because the West is literally to intellegent too care about movies now. Everyone who values about artistic expression has moved to TV.
Feature films are left behind in the hands of the underclass: manchildren, blacks, liberals, women, and of course asians.

>I can definitely see some people being frustrated by the second half or call it unrealistic

The second half loses all tension, the plot turns entirely predictable and the climax is beyond retarded. It basically becomes a parody of itself.

>"user can you recommend me a movie"
>yeah sure, this is a great one that I recently watched
>"ok, but user, can you recommend me a movie that's not in korean"?
fucking hell

Tv is for plebs.

That's Kang-ho Song. He hasn't been in that many movies but he's been in like half of Chan-wook Park's feature-length movies.

He's literally one of the most famous actors in South Korea you fucking faggot

>too intelligent
intelligence leads to wealth, wealth leads to decadence, we are slightly poorer than the 90s, but you see decadence takes time to set in, boomers led to millenials

some groups can resist it and keep growing even when they already have everything like jews and some strains of WASP the majority though don't

Was it your first Kurosawa film? His trademark is a terrible blue filter and weird "sci-fi" twist.
Either way it was definitely influenced by the Futoshi Matsunaga/Junko Ogata case so it didn't bother me too much.

When did I say he wasn't you fucking monkey?

>the best asian cinematographer is a white man who went full chinkophile

They don't speak English, at all or well enough that the audience isn't horrified at the accent.

>Anyone got any good asian thrillers/crime shows?

If you like Columbo, watch Furuhata Ninzaburō, basically a bit more comedic take on the same premise. The first two seasons are subbed, as are one or two specials. Beyond that you're shit out of luck because Asian TV cannot do proper thriller/crime shows without it being either half a comedy or it just turning absolutely shit halfway through thanks to some kind of an over the top, completely ridiculous conspiracy plot twist being introduced just before the last two episodes to up the ante.

it's a false dichotomy. in the Japanese film industry Creepy is not analogous to American blockbusters. it was the 84th highest grossing movie in Japan in 2016. this is below unbelievably horrible shit like Kamen Rider and live-action Death Note.

i think what's really going on OP is that you're only aware of one kind of cinema coming out of America and one kind of cinema coming out of Japan. America produces movies other than blockbusters and Japan produces movies other than small arthouse and genre films.

This, the only big Asian films that get known ARE the 6/7 out of 10s or better. Not really Korea and Japans fault, but China just watching literally anything is THE reason for shit like endless Transformer movies and shit.

They probably release a bunch of dogshit, especially Japan because their TV dramas are awful, we just don't hear/care about them.

>Song Kang-Ho
>Hasn't been in that many movies

I've only seen Tokyo Sonata and even in that, aside from the compelling central premise, I didn't really understand why people praise it to the high heavens. The part where the wife is abducted by the burglar was weird and felt completely like it didn't belong with the rest of the movie.

Majority of Korean dramas (like 95%) are absolutely god awful and make American soap operas look like kino

You start the exact same thread on Sup Forums,/ck/ and /toy/ and it will be the same.
Asians are just better.

he's more chink than the chinks considering for how long he's been a part of their culture desu

Its because Korean dramas are like all cuckolding for drama.

Because the only Asian movies anyone hears about outside of Asia are ones that go through the pleb filter of European festival circuits. So basically Asian films seem superior because the white man curates their work.

30 credits at the age of 50 isn't a lot

>Doyle was “re-birthed” as Du Ke Feng, which means “like the wind.”

I wonder if he got to choose that name

Korean Thriller Kino from the 00' are the GOAT.
Some movies which were produced after that period are cool and ok, but 2000-2010 was korean primetime

You are asking me to write an essay about modern Asian culture vs modern Western culture, as well as the history of filmmaking. You also seem to be implying that indie Asian movies do better in Asia than Hollywood blockbusters, which is not true. Asia produces a lot of shit movies; their blockbusters also suck.

That's interesting
i thought Creepy was absolute shit
Turned it off when they arrested the detective tbqh, turned on Cure and Pulse instead

Way better

This.

Somewhat of a fair point but even if you compare them to the likes of Lala Land, Gravity, Spotlight or The Ravenant the asian movies still blow them away.

Yeah he tends to do out of place stuff like that.
Kurosawa is a bit overrated imo, I mean he's made some good movies but westerners really gargle his balls for some reason, same with Sion Sono.

Cure was fucking great

Jesus, Sion Sono really is a mystery to me. How do people love his movies so much? Granted I haven't see his supposed masterpiece Love Exposure because it's so long but his movies are so... ugh. I hate how in every movie he has one character go into an autistic fit of shouting his philosophies and shit, makes me cringe.

Nice try faggot its all poorly made cartoon trash with poor acting and plot.

Why do all Japanese movies look dark, blue shifted, and covered in water since The Ring?

Not sure desu, maybe cause he's zany and weird and his movies tend to hit the festival circuit?
He's kinda like the Japanese equivalent to Tarantino but with less polish.
As for Love Exposure, from what I remember it has a solid first and last hour but was fairly meandering in the middle, but to be fair I watched it nearly four years ago at this point.
Norikos Dinner Table was a little too long and drawn out aswell but it grew on me as it went on. Really enjoyed Strange Circus and Guilty Of Romance however.

Sion Sono's films are good if you like very morbid and weird approaches to stuff. Cold Fish is pretty great just for being so different from typical serial killer movies, but the acting is top notch too. Especially when the protagonist is being forced to fuck the demented wife of the serial killer and help him dispose of bodies. It's creepy done right.

Guilty of Romance is interesting look at prostitution and sex. Love Exposure is like three different movies combined into one, with a good mix of comedy and absurd plot twists. Himizu is probably the weirdest one I've seen by Sono, some really fucked up shit about violence and adolescence, easily the most mediocre one of the bunch.

Kurosawa is an auteur director, I hate Hollywood trash but it's not a fair comparison. There are plenty of horrible big budget Asian movies.

Was this the best asian kino of the last 5 yeas?

Himizu was a manga adaptation so that could be why.
Cold Fish was also loosely based on these guys aswell
japantimes.co.jp/news/2001/03/22/national/couple-handed-death-sentence-for-poisoning-four/#.WJB1_7UxHYU

>I hate how in every movie he has one character go into an autistic fit of shouting his philosophies and shit, makes me cringe.

Did you mean:
Hideki Anno

Yeah, I like Guilty of Romance too. Or maybe his wife appearing naked so much in it tricked me into believing that?

I don't think they're very creepy, weird or morbid though. I think Miike for example does weird and morbid better, but that's another can of worms, guy is inconsistent as fuck, but you gotta respect his determination to never back down from a challenge and try anything that he's offered.

The scene from Cold Fish is a good example of what I was saying though, before he fucks the woman, her husband goes into his trademark autistic Sono rant for like 10 minutes, it's just... so annoying.

Himizu was straight up garbage though, I tried telling myself it's because I read the manga but nah, it's just a bad movie. And it's really not fucked up at all.

I DOUBT it

Himizu is indeed completely mediocre, but the manga is really good.

Miike is a workhorse but it's kinda exhausting trying to watch his stuff these days. He seems to have exchanged originality for just putting adaptations out like a machine. The Harakiri remake was terrible.

Completely agree. But as a comparison, I think his ceiling is way higher than Sono's and he's done some really good stuff.

I still haven't seen The Handmaiden but A Bride For Rip Van Winkle and Black Coal, Thin Ice are pretty up there for top Asian kinos of the last 5 years

He's so hit and miss that I'm starting to think his hits are a fluke. Tokyo Tribe and Tag were some of the worst movies I've seen in a long time.

Oh definitely. Miike really flourished in the 90s with the freedom that the V-Cinema venue allowed him. I'm a bit ashamed to admit I've never watched Visitor Q, though I've been meaning to for years.

Because the acting is always dogshit. Japanese acting is so dogshit that I don't even need to understand the language to tell how bad it is.

Visitor Q is pretty absurd, didn't find it as shocking as Gozu though.
Check out his Graveyard Of Honor remake if you haven't seen it, really good performance by Goro Kishitani. He plays a really despicable guy.

post kino scenes

Asian cinema like every other country produces a lot of crap. But only the best movies become popular here so you may get the illusion that they make better movies when they don't.

I don't think he's had hits though

It's pretty good. Big Bang Love Juvenile A is my personal favorite of his.

You didn't like Why Don't You Play in Hell?

More accurately, the festival circuit tends to bring only brings the more interesting and indy movies to the West, which makes you think Asian cinema is so oh so quirky and great.

For every Taste of Tea or Hana-Bi you get something, like the far too syrupy and emotionally manipulative shit as Naomi Kawase's An / Sweet Bean. I mean, out of all of Kitano's movies his mediocre Zatoichi remake and Outrage, which is very straight-forwarded Yakuza movie, are his most successful movies domestically and he's far more regarded as an auteur in the west for his 90s films and the artistic trilogy he did.

Nah, too zany. It had it's moments but overall meh. This guy was fantastic though.

Is FXG a good gen 6 director?

It's just a different style and since all of them follow that style consistently I say they are all well trained

>Korean Thriller Kino from the 00' are the GOAT.

The counter point has been made already, it's not just the blockbusters that suck from the west but it's the supposedly great movies too that aren't very good. As for emotionally manipulative, if the west could make shit like Crying Out Love In The Middle of The Earth the I wouldn't have a problem with them but that movie isn't super good yet shits on the syrupy romantic movies of the west. And then there's something Oasis that completely shits on that.

I don't think it's so much the west but moreso American movies that are mediocre. The British, French and the Danish amongst other countries still make some pretty compelling stuff even though I enjoy Asian films more.

If that's what japanese audiences like then fine whatever but it's still fucking awful. The actors on seasame street are good at their jobs and well-trained for their audience to enjoy but I still wouldn't call that good acting.

Disagree about british.

>the Danish
oh look, it's a LvT/Refntard, we can just disregard his chain of posts then

>dissing sesame street

Of course in the past this was true but I feel that Anglo-American cinema is particularly creatively bankrupt at the moment. Hell I feel like one of the stronger contemporary British directors (Peter Strickland) is essentially making non-british films.

The only Refn movie I've seen that liked was Bronson

>Spooky Stakeout is bad

>The counter point has been made already, it's not just the blockbusters that suck from the west but it's the supposedly great movies too that aren't very good.
You have a retard level confirmation bias.

Not at all.

Ironically a lot of the mindless, brash, action bullshit we are being fed is produced because it's easier to export than dialogue-heavy cinema. See Pacific Rim, Transformers etc.

Also, when you're searching for foreign language films you only hear about the better stuff.

Agree that mot current Hollywood shit is not worth anyone's time though. There's maybe 5 US films from last year I'm interested in.

Why has no one made an updated Korean or Japanese kino chart?
Don't think I've ever seen a Chinese one for that matter.