So Sup Forums

So Sup Forums,

who's the best film composer working today?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/SwvSFOEfHJE
youtube.com/watch?v=6e3KFHmNyGE
youtube.com/watch?v=bYCslLRu6As
youtube.com/watch?v=HZkta5p6qQE
youtube.com/watch?v=P0n6iEgc2zs
youtube.com/watch?v=nOr0na6mKJQ
youtube.com/watch?v=OkcBJawiIHA
youtube.com/watch?v=vr0NBPRMe2E
youtube.com/watch?v=yM-B0DWMcws
youtube.com/watch?v=cZZfpOjlYvg
youtube.com/watch?v=MUVKkc69Szw
youtube.com/watch?v=GVAUnKK1DdQ
youtube.com/watch?v=X6xJInP2V9U
youtube.com/watch?v=mLdOMw4aqAo
youtube.com/watch?v=n7ULKKJ5UpI
youtube.com/watch?v=6CJ96LGGP6w
youtu.be/4-2AM8FuI_w
youtu.be/jasBruhQrPI
youtube.com/watch?v=CIexOB59KBM
youtube.com/watch?v=ND03o6BJczA
youtube.com/watch?v=v1RAzYnMPSs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

youtu.be/SwvSFOEfHJE

Steven Price

Joe Hisaishi
youtube.com/watch?v=6e3KFHmNyGE

Oh hi Steve

Probaly Desplate or Giacchino, but desu they're nothing compared to the classic composers of the 50s.

cliff martinez

John Williams

Although I do wanna say Ennio Morricone is still making good stuff:

youtube.com/watch?v=bYCslLRu6As

This movie kind of felt like a hipster Hitchcock tribute but the score was terrific.

youtube.com/watch?v=HZkta5p6qQE

John Williams has been going downhill since the 60s desu.

He used to do really impressive scores, especially in comedies. As Terry Teachout has pointed out, comedies don't usually have particularly good scores. For many years they barely had scores at all (most sound comedies in the '30s and '40s just didn't use music except in sentimental or action scenes). And big-name composers would hardly ever work on them; at Fox, Alfred Newman almost never did comedies, and neither did his friend Bernard Herrmann; Newman usually handed comedy scores to Cyril Mockridge, who cobbled together scores based on familiar public-domain tunes. John Williams in the '60s was one of the few composers who really specialized in comedy, and his scores for movies like this or Guide For the Married Man were a lot funnier and more imaginative than most; in fact, I like his early comedy music better than most of his bombastic post-Star Wars scores.

Here's a dialogue-free scene from Bachelor Flat which is carried by Williams' music, and also contains some Hitchcockian angles (a reminder that Tashlin always wanted to do a serious thriller, but he could never put such a project together).

youtube.com/watch?v=P0n6iEgc2zs

Jerry Goldsmith
Disasterpiece
Trent Reznor

Jerry died like 10 years ago, who the fuck is Disasterpiece? Is that some ambient electronic hipster film composer?

He did the It Follows soundtrack. Shitty movie, unbelievably good soundtrack.

it's like with every wave of that wand, he's casting a musical spell, like the players are under his magical control

Jon Brion

youtube.com/watch?v=nOr0na6mKJQ

Me

Thomas Newman

youtube.com/watch?v=OkcBJawiIHA

Disasterpiece is amazing in everything, games films shows you name it.

first post, best post

Alexandre Desplat is fucking great. I was pissed when he dropped out of Rogue One.

>first post, best post
redditor spotted

Clint Mansell

youtube.com/watch?v=vr0NBPRMe2E

James Newton Howard

Trent Reznor, he's the only composer doing something different

Thomas Newman
Clint Mansell
Johnny Greenwood
Giachiano

FIGHT ME BITCHES!

desu, even though Hans Zimmer is the most mainstream fucking score writer in the movie industry some of the soundtracks he made are just staright up fantastic.

The soundtrack for the mediocre flick Interstellar for example, was inspired by My Heart's In the Highlands on organ, and thus the soundtrack uses a lot of those arpeggios played on a pipe organ. It's actually not something you hear everyday. The soundtrack of interstellar stayed stuck in my head for quite a while wafter watching the flick.

Thomas Newman

Please

Thomas Newman's scores are so fucking formulaic. It's the same mellow string chords with piano melody played over them every single time. The man never takes risks, always stays within the familiar harmonies.

This is what happens when Sup Forums fags try talking about music or scores for that matter.

I don't think Mr. Newman needs to take risks harmonically when he is adventurous sonically. The combinations of instruments create colors that are unique to him.

>pic not related.jpg
phew, almost sent me into a fit of blind rage

>6 strings and a piano
>sonically unique

i mean... no.
anyone trying drawing inspiration for scores from mute aesthetic and impressionism/french cinema ends up with a score like his

Good choice.

has beens

90% of the shit he makes is bland and forgettable

Correct answer is Carter Burwell

6 strings and a piano is a gross understatement. His percussion combinations alone are worth while.

every single answer in this thread is wrong, btw

Sup Forums is laughing at you right now

>some of the soundtracks he made are just staright up fantastic.
yeah man, his scores that consist of 4 (or in the case of Interstellar, 3) simple chords in diatonic scales are truly amazing. groundbreaking stuff

John Powell

youtube.com/watch?v=yM-B0DWMcws

phillip glass

you mean like most every score ever? experimentation with music in film scores is so limited because they want a film score to not be too noticeable while still having impact. if you played some highly experimental music over a key scene people would only pay attention to the music. you need to find the right balance between powerful and subdued. At least for the flicks that he scores.

If you take a motion picture like There Will Be Blood for example, it's given a lot of time for the score to breathe and dictate the tone.

>37 replies later and someone finally mentions a correct answer

Wow, /tv, great job.

Clint Mansell is close, but not quite there.

>Max Richter
>Phillip Glass
>Ludovico Einaudi

Those are the three correct answers to this question.

based

youtube.com/watch?v=cZZfpOjlYvg
youtube.com/watch?v=MUVKkc69Szw

>you mean like most every score ever?
what the fuck? no

finally someone who isn't an absolute philistine

I think this is magical

>M-M-M-MUH MINIMALISM

how's first year of college treating you?

I WENT TO OPERA HOUSES, NOT OPERA SCHOOL.

Jo Yeong-wook

youtube.com/watch?v=X6xJInP2V9U
youtube.com/watch?v=mLdOMw4aqAo

kek

Is it just me, or does the Handmaiden main theme sound extremely similar to the theme from Downton Abbey?

youtube.com/watch?v=n7ULKKJ5UpI

Still good though.

>Ludocivo Einaudi

Hahahahaha

>>Max Richter
terrible.

correct answers:
Trent Reznor
Johann Johannsson
Shane Carruth
Mica Levi

John Powell

You're a living meme, I hope you know that.

>Shane Carruth
how to spot a tryhard

James Newton Howard.

Still Philip Glass.

>Ludovico Einaudi, the most uninspired piano player and composer who ever lived
>Good

An anime reaction picture is suitable here

John Powell
youtube.com/watch?v=6CJ96LGGP6w

I am staggered by how you could possibly be so wrong, friendo.

Lemme guess, you love John Williams?

desplat for sure
youtu.be/4-2AM8FuI_w
youtu.be/jasBruhQrPI

Brad Fiedel
youtube.com/watch?v=CIexOB59KBM

Ryuichi Sakamoto
Joe Hisaishi
(((Justin Horowitz)))

Dario Marianelli

youtube.com/watch?v=ND03o6BJczA

>Giacchino
He's complete shit. His scores are totally unmemorable. Desplat... I could get behind that. He might have elevated Rogue One to mediocrity from boring.

What an edgy, contrarian opinion. Jaws, ET, Indy, Star Wars 1-6, Home Alone, Schindler's List, Jurassic Park, The Lost World, Harry Potter... those are his best scores.

To be fair I haven't heard anything of his pre-70s but it seems like you just posted this to let us know you watch older films. wew

Oh my. I guess someone was 'inspired'.

>but it seems like you just posted this to let us know you watch older films

There are two people in this thread posting specifically for this reason.

Fuck all these boring hacks. These guys is where it's at. Thomas Newman is goat too.

>generic shit composition but wildly fluctuating oscillator on a korg synth
>good

Thomas Newman
youtube.com/watch?v=v1RAzYnMPSs
how can netflix even compete?

phillip glass

Please name one example of an interesting Einaudi track.
All I've heard of him was "boring melody accompanied by even more boring arpeggios"

I'm fully convinced that Hans Zimmer and Thomas Newman use generator scripts and havent touched an instrument in years