youtube.com/watch?v=A4hsBB_g9vM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

yes

no

maybe

hell yes

I don't know

yes
anything between 4'33" and Merzbow's pulse demon is music, anything that's beyond these isn't

can you repeat the question?

p∈(0,1)

Sure why not? It's not something I like to listen to but I don't give a shit if you do

gimme essential albums that go beyond these

No, it's a height and a Chadtier height at that

How do you argue that it is music?

Bull of heaven I guess

That there's sheet music for it.

Attached: NewImage111.png (300x400, 55K)

people will argue that it's art/a composition, but not music

>but not music
how do you know?

when I first heard of it i thought it was 4 feet 33 inches

I think the argument that makes it "music" is all of the accidental sounds are created in the audience, the ambiance or some bullshit.
Whatever, it's a meme, and I don't mind that it exists.

Is a car an athlete?

Open audacity and make a 10000 Hz Square wave for 4'33"

Not an argument.

Is non sequitr rhetoric an argument?

Music is the arrangement of sounds. One extreme of sound arranging is to mandate that no sound is produced.
The better question is
>Is 4'33" a worthwhile piece of music
I'd say no, but it's good as a joke.

It's a publicity stunt and it's working to this fucking day

i don't know but its probably now about blowjobs

Is it a sign of good art if people are still arguing about it years later even after the artist has long died?

yes, but that's not the question

I was making a piece of art, not attempting to argue a thesis. Jeeze

4'34"

Reminder that if you're remotely challenged by this piece of music you are a fucking brainlet, this shit is from the 50's guys, fucking come on!

of course.

No it's a stupid trick.
Notice how this dipshit isn't known for anything else besides his cheap gimmick.

>Notice how this dipshit isn't known for anything else besides his cheap gimmick.
wrong

Music: the combination of sound and silence
433: pure silence

yeah...no

I mean when Cage originally performed it, he managed to produce sound without doing anything. He did not play a note on his piano, but the audience went into an uproar. He DID play music, he played a haphazard and raging audience, made them shout and scream, by not doing anything. It's not about the piano. It's a score where the resulting music is different every time and gets varied responses from the audience... it can be choral free improvisation in one town, and meditation in another.

I like listening to the moans of a bitch taking my cock, is that music?

Absolutely!

>people in the audience: you played yourselves
>t. John Cage

the sweetest music known to man

4'33" is the idea than the ambient sound around you can be just as interesting as music. Its an idea rather than a musical composition.

youtube.com/watch?v=-LDX7_wSXLI

its silence

lol what about this youtube.com/watch?v=I2wtmQkvX7A or his prepared piano pieces. If you think he isn't known for other things, you really haven't been paying any attention

kek

Attached: johncage_youtubevideo.jpg (652x461, 30K)

Top Kek

4:33 isn't pure silence and it's not supposed to be

>4'33"
literally king of manlets

Please tell me we had the same professor today

so close

It's performance art, not music. If you want to "listen to 4'33", literally just cough randomly and fidget around in your chair every 2 minutes inside of a concert hall and you'll have the exact same experience.

It's not music.
>Music is the arrangement of sounds.
Music is the harmonic arrangment of sounds.
No.

>Music is the harmonic arrangment of sounds.
no. "Harmonic" is not a requirement.

Music is an art form whose medium is sound and silence.

yeah because it is recorded and the sounds of the room and usually the street are recorded. The piece is not about silence but about a live field recording because then performance was always mutually inclusive with the music itself

A definition of music is that it's organised sound. That includes silence; rest notes for example are still notes and an arrangement of music. So yes, it's music. If you fart into a microphone, record it, release it and say it's music, then it's music. It's not very good music however.

Oh I missed the point I think.
This user has it right probably.

youtube.com/watch?v=A4hsBB_g9vM