/CDG/ - COMPACT DISC GENERAL

POST YER CD'S!
WHAT IS YOUR UNICORN, YOUR WHITE WHALE PRESSING?
SHOW OFF YOUR PLAYERS!

A common vinyl enthusiast's retort to the quality of the compact disc is the infamous "disc rot" incidents of the 1980's, where one of PDO's CD plants screwed up big time and didn't fully lacquer many of their discs.
However, the misconception is that ALL Compact Discs will suffer a similar fate, and that the results of material decomposition will be rapid enough to cause issues in any human lifetime (at least as of this year).
From my own research, culling from personal observation, as well as statistical and anecdotal evidence, even most discs FROM PDO UK (although perhaps not the exact same plant as the incident) made in the 80's have held up admirably over the 30+ years of their existence.
Disc rot can be caused by outside stressors of course, although many of these can be attributed to poor maintenance from the owners of these discs. Things that are often obvious no no's like mishandling or incorrect storage conditions.
In short, CD's for the most part probably do last about 100-200 years, as they were originally intended to. Obviously not ALL of them will make it this long, however, I genuinely believe that my collection (and yours) will probably outlive me.

Attached: PDRM1970a.jpg (800x499, 43K)

Other urls found in this thread:

discogs.com/Death-Grips-Ex-Military/release/3968402
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

lol no thanks buddy

THEN SHOO, VINYL LUDDITE

this is my player

Attached: outback1996f.jpg (576x270, 47K)

Sweet player bruh

I don't buy new albums and second hand vinyls are generally much better (in diversity and quality of music) and cost the same second hand in my country.

define quality of music?

There's a place in my town where they have tons of used CD's all the time and you can get them for like 50 cents before they're sorted. Got some great stuff that way. Having CD's is fun. The album art and liner notes and stuff is cool.

I wish more CD booklets had tons of liner notes!

Any guide to buying a good cd deck for cheap? What features should I be looking for? Should I go vintage or new? Also, what are normal prices for CDs, where can I get them cheap, and what should I pay attention to when buying them?

>CD liner notes don't include full lyrics

Attached: 1510882586491.jpg (774x543, 30K)

Like the standard of music on records is generally quite good. As in how good the musicians are (especially in non-western music).

> Not closing your eyes and throwing cocktail umbrellas around the shop and buying everything they land on

I've gotten some pretty good CD players at thrift stores, but if you don't want to risk wasting 10 dollars you can find something like pic related new for around 35 bucks.

Attached: 61hkeEu9OsL._SL1000_.jpg (1000x1000, 86K)

Is stuff like that any good?

What CD player do you recommend to plug in a stereo setup (vintage receiver etc.)? Preferably one that can also play SACD, DVD and Blu-ray audio.

This is the best packaging to any CD I own. It's fantastic.

Get an Oppo BDP-83, since those are relatively inexpensive. If you can afford it though, I'd say go with the BDP-103.

Attached: IMAG0647.jpg (3264x1836, 1.4M)

I mean if you're willing to shell out a couple hundred for a nice stereo system and speakers, it'll definitely sound a lot nicer, but for less than 50 something like that will get the job done.

Potentially, if the DAC is okay and you use line out to a decent amp/speakers (or if the internal speakers are decent).
Some (very very few) luggable CD players do actually have TOSLINK Optical outs, and that eliminates the DAC issue.

It's actually very hard to find a Blu Ray player with SACD support that is still functioning. A lot of Sony's early Blu Ray players were plagued with longevity issues, and those would be the most likely to support all of those formats. Additionally SACD is a tricky bitch to integrate in the first place for some people's setups.
My recommendation would be to start small and get a solid CD deck first and foremost. Maybe a midrange older Blu Ray player for DVD-Audio and Blu Ray audio. SACD is more of a stretch goal for format support, even if it was more popular than DVD Audio or BD Audio...

>mechanics of materials
I know your pain

I haven't been buying vinyl for a while, jut CDs. Maybe when the hipster CD revival happens I can trade them in for good money.

>CD reissue of an older album
>booklet doesn't accurately recreate the vinyl artwork and liner notes

Only CD I own is Crazy Frog, which I’m sending to a friend as a joke.
Looking for:
Z-Rock Hawaii
GodWeenSatan
Exmilitary
ITCOTCK

Anything you guys recommend? I usually use apple music but am interested in getting shit that’s not on there already.

Ebay.

I'm not familiar with Exmilitary being on CD. Like said here, use Ebay to find what you're looking for. I like to use Discogs usually since that's geared towards music

Download a copy of Exmilitary and stick it on a CDr, simple.

>liner notes fold out into a full-size recreation of the cover art

Attached: 1519545912957.png (371x532, 217K)

I have a pair of headphones, can I just plug them into the player?

I’ll probably do this for most of them. I have 2 record stores near me though so I will still buy random shit I guess.
Considering doing this for steroids, but I’m pretty sure ExMil has a CD. If not I will do this.

Any other recs for things not available digitally?

That's what this album does. Quite nice

Attached: IMAG0648.jpg (3264x1836, 1.21M)

depending on a few variables yes actually.
most CD players offer a small discrete low output headphone amplifier. However most of those headphone amplifiers are crude and not particularly good sounding or do not provide adequate power for inefficient headphones. Some do have the power and quality required to go without an amp, my Pioneer P-D70 from 1984's headphone out can drive up to 600 ohm headphones to SOME level, and sounds fairly good, but definitely does not have the same treble resolution that the RCA outs do.

It did have a CD release but GOOD LUCK getting a decent price
discogs.com/Death-Grips-Ex-Military/release/3968402

from a similar thread a while ago
>still works

Attached: Heck ja.jpg (1440x2560, 1.35M)

This on a vintage CD player is a religious experience.

Attached: cover_3236416122016_r.jpg (1000x1000, 93K)

I have wanted to get a nice Discman for a while...
it's such a shame that Sony portable stereo equipment is scalper city because Sony collectors are retards who will pay any price to get anything good looking. I almost scored a D-5 Discman the other day but I forgot to put an automatic bid in before bed and I woke up to see it sold for 35 bucks. every other working model is over 100.

>mfw I found this digging through my Aunt's stuff

Attached: peace_m8.jpg (3445x2500, 191K)

I mean that model in particular isn't suuuper expensive (still not pocket change), it's wild how expensive some of the "higher end" models get. Particularly the D-Z555, D-5, and D-303

same bro