You need six decades of samurai training to know how to cut fish and cook white rice properly

>you need six decades of samurai training to know how to cut fish and cook white rice properly

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gpU_0KCilRw
youtube.com/watch?v=ngZ0K3lWKRc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Anthony Boredane is a total faggot.

the Documentery Now! parody was so good.

i'm glad jiro became a sushi chef because he'd be a terrifying man if he got obsessed with something else.

he just gets the best fish from the yakuza

Japs like to hype themselves up a lot, only weebs believe their bullshit posturing.

Which isn't to say sushi isn't good, but it is pretty overrated.

What would Jiro's occupation be if Japan won the war?

Imagine what he got up to during the war.

>Sushi
>Culinary expertise
It's about as complex as homemade mac and cheese.

op you should have known better than to watch a masturbatory movie about and for food elitists

Have you heard about Unit 731?

t. nu-male millenial cuck who knows nothing about dedication and honing one's craft

This is why you're worthless.

Yeah but so does every other country. Japan is a nice place in its own right, but some weeb dumbasses who think it's perfect need to try dealing with its legal system or work hours for a few weeks.

Yes it's those silly internet anime weeaboos who gave his restaurant three Michelin stars which literally means that it's worth making a trip to Japan just to eat there. What do you think is their favorite hentai?

Anyone browsing this board who doesn't literally live for hentai needs to leave and re-evaluate their life. Disgusting.

what do you think he would say if you walked in an orders a katsu chicken sushi and 375ml pepsi max?

ah go sharpen your throwing stars fuckface

yeah and you probably buy up a healthy amount of jamie oliver books every month just to jizz all over them

there is passionate cooking and then theres this shit

I know it has a shitty reputation but I really did prefer the sequel. Much better film in every way. A little dark though.

>being hyped for hentai nowadays
With the exception of perhaps 1 or 2 shows a year everything is just badly animated looping shite.

It's one of the two sushi restaurants in Japan with 3 Michelin stars so I'd doubt that's true.

>t.

And I'm not listening to anything you say for using this stupid facebook-meme-level faggotry.

It's a combo of Japan's fixation on specialized skills and self marketing.

One instance of straight lying (generally) is meats. They'll talk about their ancient beef or chicken techniques despite the nation being vegetarian until relatively recently.

Literally indistinguishable from conveyor belt sushi in LA.

You're paying for a brand and an experience, not the food.

Making sushi from American political prisoners

it's about doing it 100% perfectly each and every time. it's about using the best ingredients and making it the best each and every time. that's what it's about

tfw this is one of my favorite documentaries. Up there with Senna.

It's about work ethic you autist. The documentary highlights his pride in his work, his perfectionism, and his unyielding devotion to his craft. It's essential mancore. I imagine leftists hate it though.

i can cut up fish with a knife, you don't need "samurai training" for that lol, just a good sharp knife

Japanese work ethic is 1 part working hard and 99 parts looking like you're working hard

Pretty much. Millenial leftists have no idea about hard work.

Jiro took Adam Smith's notion of becoming an expert in widgets to the nth degree

The free market has found a valuable ally in Jiro

jiro is just another racist chink. fuck him and his bullshit

>highlights his pride in his work, his perfectionism, and his unyielding devotion to his craft
Well if you ignore the part that while he was jerking off to his own glory it was his son who was actually making the sushi and choosing the fish and shit, as in doing the actual work. The son who was forced into making sushi for his posturing faggot of a father.

>Jiro dreams of ass rape

Like any intelligent, forward thinking citizens of the 21st century, my wife and I are feminists. And like any feminists we were shocked and disgusted by this movie.

Both the main character (Jiro) AND the narrator are male! If alarms aren't going off in your head so far you're probably a bigot. Things became more and more repulsive as the movie played on. All of the supporting characters are male! And even worse, almost every single character in the movie is male!

I don't care if this is a documentary. My wife left the room in tears at the end of the first hour during a particularly sickening scene where Jiro serves a room full of customers. He says (not an exact quote) "I made the meals smaller for the women and larger for the men so that everyone would finish at the same time." Things like this would be expected in a film about Adolf Hitler or Winston Churchill (both disgusting sexist pigs)but in a movie about food it was just chilling. And that wasn't even the worst part! The women in the room appeared (probably special effects or movie magic of some type) TO APPROVE OF THIS. Can you believe that?

My wife won't talk about it and I'm not sure I could if I wanted to. I finished the movie with tears in my bloodshot eyes. I can't believe we've advanced so far as a society and women are still seen as being gutter scum.

Anyone forward thinking enough to simply be on the internet, to find this movie, to read this review, will be disgusted by the brutally sexist assault on your senses and common decency this movie has gotten away with.

There are lots of master sushi chefs who are young guys. The point of the decades of practice isn't that it made Jiro the best, or even that it made him good (though it obviously did). The point is that calm and careful dedication to a craft is a path to peace. It's an odd little anachronism that kinda takes you out of your own life and grants a bit of perspective.

>I imagine leftists hate it though.
most of the people with netflix are leftists and we all love it

ITS "JIRO NIGHTMARES OF ASS RAPE" YOU SHIT

What did Jiro contribute to the evolution of sushi making?

would he be mad if you said squid is gross and refused to eat it

They don't even let you in if you're dressed too casually. Pretty sure you'd be kicked out if brought shame to his famiry by insulting their food.

Calm down faglord

>unyielding devotion to his craft

This is something I can always watch or read about. Is there any other good recc for this theme?

I can think of Senna.

Yeah well maybe the slant-eye should make better food if I'm disgusted by it??

>hurr it doesn't matter if you hate your occupation, just force yourself to like it and get good at it until you're the best.

Nah fuck off with that shit old man

Yeah but why would you go to a restaurant that serves food you don't like? You would be the retard there.

I'm guessing you don't frequent the depressed bear?

This.

Libcucks hate him because he's racist, apparently he throws out anyone who isnt nip or white.

He doesn't like white either. My friend went to Japan and when he wanted to make a reservation, they basically told him to fuck off once they realized he was American.

You do realize Michelin Japan isn't the same as the actual Michelin, right? There's a reason Japan has the most Michelin rated restaurants in the world. They blow smoke up their own ass.

Sounds like he just dislikes Americans like any sane person.

yeah. fuck amerigo vespuchi and fuck donal;d chump

Sushi is all about the ingredients, you can teach a filipino how to make it in 6 months and he'll be just as good.

i'd rather get mine from a robotic conveyer belt where nobody touched my fish with their filthy fingers

>I haven't actually watched the documentary
fuck off.

you tellin me this muthafucker...dreams of sushi?

The Birth of Sakè and The Search for General Tso are better desu

well put, i'd like to add they didnt have ONE person of color. how am i supposed to show this travesty of a movie to my wifes mixed children? all japs are bigot trash

I liked the sequel, Jiro nightmares of ass rape

>I imagine leftists hate it though.
Is this the right version of "republicans can't read" or some shit?
Somm is a pretty neat netflix documentary about people training for a Master Sommelier exam.

theres a japanese restaurant near my home. some of their sushi and other food are amazing but i have ordered entrees that are gross as shit on accident multiple times. a lot of traditional asian food is in edible to an american raised palate

>tfw really wanted to try this eel sushi
>got a plate
worst thing I've ever eaten holy shit. the texture was so creepy.

> the search for general tso
Fuck Yea man, I push that on everyone

you do realize that is the case for 99% of professions right? once you become a master you don't do the bitch work, because you already proved yourself. generals don't do infantry firefights, directors don't rig lighting, most mangaka don't color their own shit in (some do, this is contentious among some artists). when you get on the top level, you have earned the right to be an ideas guy and tell other people what to do. you bring out the best of several people in an organization instead of just one guy (yourself) IF your ideas are truly great. I think you have a problem with this because some people just rest on their laurels and their end product ends up shit.

>for me to poop on

I was hyped for it, but it was literally the worse episode of that show.

There's a distinct difference between doing necessary busy work and actually doing the fucking job. I wouldn't blame Jiro if he didn't catch his own fish or make his own rice, but if he's famous for being a sushi chef then yes, he should make sushi. Similarly, I don't expect a director to rig lighting but he should be actually directing instead of forcing someone else to do it and taking all the glory.

but jiro is just an old dumbass whose bold "profession" is being phase out by robots

Everything in Japan is pretentious like that, it's their culture and its not a bad thing. It gives a sense of importance to the working man.

All "professions" are being phased out by robots

Shitposting can never be done by robots. They lack the heart.

I haven't watched this documentary but I would imagine that there is some work going on behind the scenes among sushi chefs, it's not like he does nothing. he checks on their stuff, tells them what to do, explains how to fix problems, etc. how is he going to do all that *and* do the grunt work himself? if he did, it would just be a small operation by himself, not a several man outfit of people learning to git gud.

t. Facebook meme level faggot

I mean, I get why they'd trick a nigga into just cooking rice for years before he gets to move up — like from a business owner's perspective it makes sense, but why don't western chefs that went through all that (ones with no ties to nippon tradition) just cut out the bullshit and teach their students all they need to know about rice, cuts, rolling, fish etc. in like 6 months?

You have to be able to learn all of that shit in less than a half decade. The dues the apprentices have to pay seem petty af, and they don't consider sushi outside of Japan competition anyway so why not teach the enthused foreigners more streamlined.

>small pot
>1 cup white rice
>2 cups water
>1/2 tsp salt
>1 tsp olive oil
>cover and cook 15 minutes
>grab rice
>shape into a ball
>put a slice of salmon on it
>add a few drops of soy sauce
Wala! Perfect sushi

I'll have a California roll

>washoku
>soy/miso eating away at your testosterone, making you docile and beta

>sushi
>slowly poison yourself with biomagnified mercury

Does any developed country have shittier cuisine than Japan?

>he checks on their stuff, tells them what to do, explains how to fix problems

I'm not sure the guy you responded to even watched it because he does all this and still makes sushi, because he has devoted his entire life to it

I do not understand why this documentary is so controversial here when it's just an old man who has peculiarly devoted his life to something mostly mundane

Jiro Dreams Of Hentai

it aint that easy my man, there are various ways to fuck up sushi. just check any online community dedicated to cooking this shit, there are problems everywhere. I have been making sushi for a few years and it definitely takes some skill, although I do think japs hype it too much. on top of that, a lot of these sushi pros make all kinds of absurd arrangements with crazy cuts and shapes and differing temperatures that adds another layer of difficulty beyond just making a maki roll or some shit.

>1 cup white rice
>2 cups water

White people cannot into rice

>even Minute Rice

Because today's generation has been poisoned by cynicism. They'll make fun of anything to feel superior to everyone.

DUDE SUSHI LMAOOOOOOOOOOOO

youtube.com/watch?v=gpU_0KCilRw

beepity boop i'm better than jiro and i don't have a brain which makes me about as smart as jiro

Normalfags can only face their inferiority and lack of ambition through irony and cynicism.

Eel is a very acquired taste, but I'd still take it over imitation crab and mayo and avocado holy fuck I hate how majority of sushi resteraunts try so hard to be "modern" and make these abomination of rolls.

>Eel is a very acquired taste,
Really? I love eel the very second I tried it and so has pretty much everyone I've cooked it for.
Eel feels really different than other fish, but it's a really good different.

youtube.com/watch?v=ngZ0K3lWKRc

old japanese dudes are really something to admire

>finally watch Jiro Dreams of Sushi
>it's just some Japanese guy sleeping

I've never liked it, no one in my family likes it, and none of my friends like it. Maybe we're all just plebes though or just maximum unfortunate to not have it made from good chefs

Miyazaki is a a hasbeen trying to cling on to any shred of relevancy.

Man, when I was in Tokyo, I was drunk as fuck trying to get back to my hotel room.
And some old drunk japanese guy gets in the elevator and we start communicating in the language of drunk grunts to each other where we somehow didn't understand each other but understand each other perfectly. I made a true friend that night.

>mfw his sushi probably barely tastes better than any $9 roll you can get in bumfuck america

but that's the ratio for most rice cookers and literally every gook family has a rice cooker

It's worth trying once for the experience. I had it, but I probably would never try it again.
Japan has a lot of ridiculously expensive food like that, where it's worth trying once and it's amazing, but I'll never pay that much again because fuck it. Wagyu beef comes to mind.

>eel is an acquired taste

but I'm a chink buffet amerifat pleb and I like the eel there.

Jiro Nightmares of Ass Rape

like being a caring father?

1:1 for regular rice, including brown
3:2 rice/water for instant

Rice cookers are a waste of money, and spray rice bran all over the fucking place.

Use a glass casserole and microwave it for twenty minutes (ten, instant), let stand for five.

What is the perfect rice to water ratio? I've always done 1 cup of rice to 1 1/2 cup of water. Though I use a steam cooker.