Negative Reviews/Criticism

Hey Sup Forums.

I don't frequent this board, but I am aware of the board's apparent hatred for Anthony Fantano. I'm not his biggest fan, however he did post a video with an interesting topic a while back. The video was discussing negative reviews and how scarce they are. I think it is interesting to think about, considering how major publications wont even give unarguably bad albums a bad score(pic related).

What do you guys think? Why is there a lack of negative reviews from major music publications?

Attached: ex1.png (1010x610, 132K)

because hyping artists that will sell to the masses makes them money. music criticism as a career is pretty fucking stupid. i enjoy discussing music but never have i desired money for my shit opinions

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?! THIS SHITTY TUMBLR-TIER POP IS THE SAME SCORE AS ONE OF THE GREATEST ALTERNATIVE ROCK ALBUMS EVER CONCEIVED TO MAN?! NIGGGGGGGGERSSSS

Attached: Screenshot_20180304-144323.png (1920x1080, 695K)

There's two reasons:
1) paid reviews
2) poptimism

Not giving negative reviews is much better than giving, say, an ambient album a 2 because you don't understand ambient music.

*pop rock

forgot about poptimism, that too

Well yes, but to be fair, you should be well versed in whatever genre you're reviewing.

These people need to make. To make money you can:
*Be paid to review things positively
This one is hard to prove, because if either party blows the whistle it means both get bad publicity
*Put ads on your website
When you give an album a negative review, chances are you'll lose some audience. Losing audience = less money from ads. So you just give everything a good review so no one stops going to your website
I think the latter is more common, but there's no doubt that artists pay reviewers sometimes.

do people believe this or is it just irony? I don't even know anymore

Are you implying they're not pop?

I believe this only proves Pitchfork is an unreliable source for music reviews. Oh yeah they also gave DAMN. a 9.2

Attached: 58B692B3-B127-48D1-919C-C0746C6399ED.jpg (750x1247, 814K)

If you think Ultraviolence is bad, you are an idiot, it also ruins a publication's credibility if they shit on something that a lot of people in their audience love

Wait really?? They gave his worst album a 9.2?? lmao

the issue with music publications is they have several different writers all with different tastes. the only music critics of value are single people who you can read many reviews by and get an understanding of their taste

Section.80 and untitled. unmastered. (his obsession with punctuation in his album titles pisses me off) are worse.

this is exactly why I don't mind fantano. I obviously dont agree with him all the time but he is a single consistent person with a generally consistent opinion

untitled unmastered is kinda B-sides so i don't count it and yeah I don't think section.80 aged well.

yeah i disagree with fantano on virtually everything but at least its just one guy with a track record i can follow.

uu >>>> D for sure.

reminder this happened meanwhile Angry Black Thug #3249204 gets 8.7 BNM yet again

Attached: wtf.png (1066x389, 173K)

Regardless of taste, I feel like any person who enjoys rock music in general shouldn’t of given Quebec a 7.7 That’s just too low of a score for an album that I honestly would give a 9.3

Do people just react to it so negatively because it's his most sonically typical and contemporary album to date, as opposed to it actually being the worst?

You forgot the noticeable drop in the quality of the lyrics

People consistently take off a full point for "The Fucked Jam" because they're retarded, so really Pitchfork gave it an 8.7.

*shrug* then don't read the reviews. other people's opinions only really matter if you let them

for me, it was just kind of a step down. It's hard to follow up two albums that I personally consider masterpieces. GKMC was pretty contemporary at the time too.

shit, i don't know. I mean maybe their singles, but i haven't listened to their albums or any of their other material.

It is less introspective and thoughtful but that was clearly a deliberate ploy to undercut these perceptions that he's a brilliant philosopher and showcase his vices, anger, weaknesses, and cruel nature in a very blunt and straightforward way.

>GKMC was pretty contemporary at the time too.
Was it? It's regarded by pretty much everybody to be a throwback to '90s West Coast hip-hop.

I agree, and I find it way less effective than his typical introspective style, that's why FEAR. is my favorite. That's just my personal tastes though.

*psychedelic funk punk

Quebec is kinda overrated. GWS, The Pod, Pure Guava, and The Mollusk are all way better

See I kinda thought that too, but idk, it sounds more modern now after hearing albums do the whole 90's west coast sound better like Still Brazy. But tracks like Swimming Pools, Bitch Dont Kill my Vibe, Backseat freestyle, etc. were pretty trendy

>Pure Guava
Naahhhh

Yeah I wouldn’t consider Pure Guava or The Mollusk to be better than Quebec.

Attached: 52BDC95A-6F9C-4D03-A89A-637D4CD9824F.png (1334x750, 1.62M)

that dude doesn't give a shit about rhcp he's just posting his dead meme

The only very good songs on Quebec are it’s gonna be a long night, happy colored marbles, and the Argus. Maybe chocolate town and tried and true. That whole album is kinda bland soft rock anthems. The mollusk and pure guava have way more variety and if there’s anything ween is good at its variety.

Pitchfork literally acquired their audience by either giving bad reviews or writing unintentionally hilarious reviews that people then criticized. That they're now trying to pander to everybody is symptomatic of them having something to protect. That's all.

but uv is a decent desert pop rock album

>people are intentionally debating the relative merits of different kendrick lamar albums on a music board

ultraviolence is a modern classic, fuck you mean unarguably bad?

Attached: 0374b2ce9d[1].png (640x235, 10K)

rapbrainlets are incapable of discussing the actual music instead of how it's presented or ""the message"" behind it