Is there a movie that utilizes different cameras and aspect ratios throughout the movie?

Is there a movie that utilizes different cameras and aspect ratios throughout the movie?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ggqOV88WYws&t=48
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The Grand Budapest Hotel has scenes in 4:3, 16:9 and 2.35:1

This is actually why I didn't see it in cinema.
I'd heard some horror stories that it was a mess in some cinemas.
Someone posted the projectionist instructions once.

Nolan's Batman films change between 16:9 and 21:9 when it changes between IMAX and regular cameras

It's pretty jarring but the IMAX footage looks a lot better on 16:9 screen since the letterboxing disappears

Ha, I didn't realize that'd create a bunch of work for the projectionist

THE ASSASSIN (Hsiao-Hsien Hou)
MOUNTAINS MAY DEPART (Jia Zhangke)

Nolans movies keep jumping between ratios, it's more because he doesn't give a shit rather than artistic choice.

Could someone who knows more than I do explain how they film so that there's no letterboxing while retaining a wide shot?

Because IMAX film is simply bigger than the standard 35mm film so you can capture a wider image

The second Hunger Games film does this too for the actual Hunger Games part. I didn't even notice it at first because they switched once to 16:9 and back once at the end and hid it in scene transitions.

In TDKR Nolan fucked up because the aspect ratio switched all the time because the action switched to dialogue back and forth every few seconds..

Did GBH have a non-digital release?

that image doesnt even make sense. why is 70mm there twice in different sizes?

Anyone know if there's a way to capture footage in the same size digitally?

So was it letterboxed vertically in the IMAX scenes in non-IMAX cinemas?

the wide 70mm is Ultra Panavision 70, it has an aspect ratio of 2.76:1 and is basically just an ultra-wide version of 35mm film

the large 70mm is IMAX 70mm and has an aspect ratio of 1.43:1, it's significantly larger than 35mm film

I don't know, but the projectionist has still got to get it lined up right on the screen.
If he lines it up right for the the start, then presses play and fucks off outside for a cigarette, the rest of the movie could be projected half on the walls.

The transitions are pretty sweet IIRC.

a serious man had a semi-related short movie as the opening scene that is in 4:3

When they say 35mm or 70mm, they're talking about the distance between the perforation on the film.

Panavision/ARRI 70mm cameras advance the film vertically (the picture on the right middle) like most other film cinema cameras.

IMAX 70mm cameras advance the film horizontally (the picture on the left) to use even more film space per frame (and get more resolution).

youtube.com/watch?v=ggqOV88WYws&t=48

the fassbendr steve jobs

xavier dolan loves to mess with the frame, sometimes gradually while you're watching it

Holy shit

Nolan BTFO

lmao thats shit, half of the transition is done in darkness

Nice looks, much kino

Life of Pi does this.