Does anybody honestly say Luke is their favorite Star Wars character...

Does anybody honestly say Luke is their favorite Star Wars character? Is their anything memorable about him beside Tosche station meme?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=93DzOXD_91o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

He's an absolute badass in ROTJ

hes literally the only good character in the series

han solo is actually shit when you really think

>talking shit about based Luke
back to r.eddit

He's the only character of the trio (Han, Leia, Luke) that has an arc that spans all three movies. Leia and Han's end in the first movie. You really get to see Luke grow and overcome his struggles. He's always been my favorite since I was a kid. I'd be more curious how you can dislike him if you've seen all three movies.

Luke was a shitty character in A New Hope but I liked him way better in Empire and Return of the Jedi.
That being said Palpatine is objectively the best character in the whole Star Wars saga

He's just kind of bland, no personality

yeah but i was going to get some power converters

He's the best character in SW. Having Han as a favorite is like the easiest pleb detector of all time.

/thread

I like him. His character arc makes really effective use of the themes of the story. It saves Return of the Jedi, for me. This is something Rey so far has really lacked. She doesn't serve the story; the story seems to serve her.

what even was leia's arc?

He was good looking before the accident, he got his shit fucked up before it was just a meme

Favorite? no that will always be all forms of Vader for me. Luke however is right up there because you see him turn from some useless kid to the balance of the force itself. First time I saw Luke in RoTJ, complete with cloak and force choking two gamorreans Vader style? I knew he'd become something great.

kyle katarn is the best character in the star wars universe
close second: dash rendar

come the fuck at me nerds

>come the fuck at me nerds

No, kill yourself.

>to the balance of the force itself.
I'm not sure what you mean by this.

I don't know who those characters are. I think you're the nerd here.

i'd say you're the nerd here for caring about the EU

haha, fucking nerd triggered as fuck
>waaaah my butt hurts, i need another lootcrate to comfy my feelings ;_;

He pretty cool mane swiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiishersssss

Learning how to be less of a snarky bitch and be grateful for Han's smuggler ass.

Not Cannon

>ywn see 80s kurt russel play dash rendar onscreen

Feels fucking bad man

youtube.com/watch?v=93DzOXD_91o

>Solo goes "You're a wonderful human being"
>Jabba leaves and Boba Fett stares into the camera
>'MAYBE HE MEANT HUMAN BEAN AM I RIGHT CROWD?

This just seemed bizarre to me.

I haven't even read the EU

The prophecy spoke of "the chosen one" bringing balance to the force and in Ep 3 Yoda spoke that they may have mis-read it. It was never Anakin, or killing many Jedi or Sith, it was about transcending the Jedi code and Sith teachings and embracing both the Dark and the Light side, something only Luke was able to do that's why he became so powerful and a point they bring back up during the development of TFA.

>luke guystalker

you're welcome

You clearly haven't seen the Bigger Luke theory.
It Makes his character so much more interesting

But that's not what happens. Luke flirts a bit with Dark Side impulses, but ultimately rejects them and declares himself a Jedi.

I am a Jedi, like my father before me

No he doesn't give in completely to the dark side and strike down his father but he uses it to overpower him. Like how he uses the force choke, an "evil" use of the force but still retains his Jedi morals and shit like that.

Luke was into Vaapad before it was even cool.

But that's not what lets him defeat the Emperor. It's him stopping and declaring he's a Jedi and that Anakin is too.

>but he uses it to overpower him.
Yeah, and then realizes he's following the same path that turned his father into an asshole cyborg. It's why he throws away the lightsaber. He refused to dwell in those emotions and the violence. He embraces his father's legacy as a once good person and a Jedi, also encouraging Vader to retake that legacy himself -- which he ultimately does.

It's pretty clear Luke overcomes whatever flirtations with the Dark Side he held throughout the movie. That's the entire point.

Luke doesn't defeat Sheev, he's nearly killed by him.

Nah user. He stops himself from going too far, he still embraces everything that Yoda told him not to during his training.

>Nah user.
>ignoring explicit statements and overt imagery
Okay, I guess.
>he's nearly killed by him
Luke won a moral and spiritual victory by rejecting the Dark Side and by having faith in his father. Again, the whole point of Luke's arc in the movie is that there's more to being a Jedi than throwing a laser sword around.

Believe what you will user.

>Luke doesn't defeat Sheev, he's nearly killed by him.
Exactly my point, what lets the pair defeat him isn't any dark side technique, it's a complete acceptance of the Jedi way. You're reading too much into it, the Jedi/dark-side dichotomy is absolutely black and white in the OT.

What? He just got a scar, which is nothing for a man.

>tosche station meme
>implying
"I am a Jedi, like my father before me" carries a lot of weight for me. Luke was my hero growing up, although I could say now that Solo is closer to my favorite character.

>Again, the whole point of Luke's arc in the movie is that there's more to being a Jedi than throwing a laser sword around.
This is obviously the intention of the writers, but I think there's a little subtext they add in RotJ. Luke is no longer the apprentice or a little boy. He's a grown man who has enough control over himself not to live or die by Yoda and Obiwan's teachings, and he uses controlled violence and deceipt while having the humility to recognize that these are symptoms of weakness rather than strength.

It's a story about growing up.

>while having the humility to recognize that these are symptoms of weakness rather than strength.
>It's a story about growing up.
Well-said.

As others are saying, character arc.

I used to not think much about him: didn't dislike, didn't think he was that much better than the other main characters.

However, with time I've come to appreciate the idealistic, monomyth features of Star Wars more and he's perfectly representative of that.

Yoda was the ur-jedi who encompassed their real spirit before the prequels. He isn't some interventionist paladin crusading the galaxy, he's a buddhist hermit who embraces death, lets the universe flow through him and becomes a faucet for that stream.

Luke does the most Jedi, anti-Sith thing at the end of the movies: he relinquishes control and lets the Emperor do what he wills. He lets himself be struck down, just like Obi-Wan did, just like Yoda did and in doing that didn't "gain" the power of the Force, he became a part of the Force's will.

Yoda is also an ancient master of the Force who has been studying it for almost a millenium. And he's a little green alien, while Luke is a human. It's implied pretty strongly that Yoda's teachings are what's best for Luke as a living being, but won't help him win the war against the Empire.

Luke lived in the real world while Yoda lived in exile on a backwater planet that allowed him to be "one with the force" and all that shit. If Luke stayed with him at the end of Empire he would have missed the entire war and probably emerged after all his friends were dead. He wouldn't be too upset about since he's one with the Force and shit, but he'd lose his whole life to be a good Jedi.

I think Lucas tried to make a point about this in the prequels by depicting the Jedi Council as wise but ultimately useless.

>Luke lived in the real world while Yoda lived in exile on a backwater planet that allowed him to be "one with the force" and all that shit.

Yoda's been in the real world for almost 900 years. He's only hermitted up the last 20 or so. I'm sure Yoda's seen more real shit than Luke ever will (Force ghosts not withstanding).

>I'm sure Yoda's seen more real shit than Luke ever will (Force ghosts not withstanding).
But that's not what was shown in the movie, which is the only evidence we have of the artists' intent.

Actually I kind of agree with you. I think Yoda and Ben were probably little punks too when they first started learning the way of the Force. And Luke will probably be more of a serene monk like them after the Empire is defeated and he can focus on meditation and other Yoda shit like that.

Obviously I'm disregarding the prequels and sequels here, but the prequels do kind of back up what I'm saying about Obi-Wan, who would have been a pretty shitty main character if he solved everything by closing his eyes and breathing slowly.

>He lets himself be struck down, just like Obi-Wan did, just like Yoda did
This.
It's important to realise that Luke knew full well that he was utterly fucked when he threw his saber away.
It just came as a shock to find out how the Emperor would retaliate

I don't think Yoda really gave a shit about Luke's friends and his view was that Luke shouldn't either. Yoda cares about the Force and that's it. Granted, the Force encompasses the entire universe, but I think that's why he doesn't fret over 3 or 4 lives being lost when the Empire is committing genocide, war and oppression on a galactic scale.
To Luke, Yoda seems to lack empathy for being dispassionate about the potential death of people he knows.
To Yoda, Luke's passion over the danger to these few people is misplaced when he could be jeopardising his chance to defeat the Emperor, the Empire and save and improve the lives of millions of others.

You can infer stuff about the Jedi message and Yoda's life from the prequels, but I almost think they should be ignored. Their doesn't seem to be anywhere enough coherency or proper depth in them for me to think they're really a continuation of the original trilogy's themes and ideas.
So for the original trilogy, Yoda could have been a hermit for 20 years or 900.

Honestly Palpatine and Obi-Wan are my favourite characters

Oh and forgot to add I can't remember but I don't think Luke was experiencing the emotion of being shocked but instead the physical sensation of it.

It's hard to recall what I first thought of the scene, but I think I always believed Luke was taking a gamble to put his life in danger to convert Vader

>To Yoda, Luke's passion over the danger to these few people is misplaced when he could be jeopardising his chance to defeat the Emperor, the Empire and save and improve the lives of millions of others.
I never got the impression Yoda even wanted Luke to defeat the Empire. In Empire it seems like Obi-Wan is sending Luke far away from the front line right when the Rebels are on the brink of defeat. Then when he wants Yoda to get his ship out of the fucking swamp so he wouldn't have to be marooned there potentially forever, Yoda just does it to teach Luke a lesson about how much he sucks at the Force. I think Yoda's kind of a hermit who cares more about spiritual esoterica than about what's going on in the galaxy. He didn't jump into action when he was discovered by Luke, like Ben did.

The force choke and force lightning didn't have those names and weren't necessarily evil magic when the original trilogy came out. That was established in the EU and prequels. Luke using the force to do cool shit was just showing his mastery, not that he's dipping into the dark side.

>dash rendar
LITERALLY literally who

Yoda never knew Vader could be turned back and destroy the Emperor thus bringing balance. Yoda thought Luke would destroy the Emperor.

when did Luke use force choke? Somewhere in Jedi, Jabba's scene?

The fact that they were named later has nothing to do with this discussion, it's the simple point that grabbing someone by the throat is a dark way to use the force.

I liked him as a kid, so I've always been biased.

He doesn't afraid of anything.

Obi-Wan sends Luke far away to level up.
His ship sunk in the swamp is the equivalent of Cortez burning his ships so his men have to press onwards.
Yoda seems engaged in the fight, because when Obi-Wan states Luke is their last hope (presumably to bring balance to the force or defeat the Empire, either way defeat the Emperor) Yoda is the one that brings up Leia as another hope.

Obi Wan or Yoda are probably stronger than Luke as of the story, so if you just need a Jedi to go around and kill stormtroopers they could do it better. Why would Luke be their only hope? Why would Leia be an alternative? Because they're Vaders kids and Vader is the one to bring balance to the Force.

Yoda was putting all his money on Luke becoming strong in the Force (not in fighting or whatever dumb shit) to be able to resist the Emperor's influence, resist the pull of the Dark side and then with that display convert Vader back to the Light and have Vader kill the Emperor.

Their names don't matter, it's the fact that you're using the force to harm that makes it dark, given what Yoda taught us about how the force works.
In the case of lighting, it's quite literally hating somebody to death

I see what you're saying. This isn't really an argument either of us can win, since it's just our interpretations of the story. The only interpretation I would see as categorically invalid is one that's based on prequels or EU lore, since those are separate works, artistically speaking, from the OT.

honestly i don't remember liking han solo when i was a kid, i thought he was a real jerk but luke has a lightsaber which is cooler

Well I wasn't disagreeing with your statement about Yoda being more concerned with the esoterica of the Force, I was saying that Yoda's conception of the Force seems to involve the Empire being destroyed or at least the Sith being defeated.

And I strongly agree with that last part.

>Gary Katarn
>good chraracter
Academy was the best JK.

Favorite characters coming through!

I honestly didn't care much for the Jedis. They dressed like hobos. The Empire knew the importance of having snappy dressers.

Luke is the best character is the whole series, period. As other have pointed out, he has a well structured arc. Perhaps what makes him an even better character is that despite all his training, he fails to defeat Sheev, but succeeds because he did not embrace the dark side. He was never meant to defeat the Emperor physically. Luke was just a glimmer of hope for the Jedi, and that hope was met with success despite the odds.

It wasn't about being this edgy, heroic character. It was about embracing doing the right thing despite the odds. Luke representes that, and he's the only Star Wars character to have an interesting arc.

The only other one that comes close is Kylo Ren since his whole schtick is embracing the dark side and refuting the light. How he is treated in the next 2 episodes will determine if he's as good as Luke or not. Too bad Rey is the lead.

Adding what's been said, Mark Hamill's performance (and the evolution of it) is fucking legendary. It also helps that he's most passionate member of the OT cast.