Thoughts on Villeneuve directing the reboot? How bad is it going to be?

Thoughts on Villeneuve directing the reboot? How bad is it going to be?

Other urls found in this thread:

filmschoolrejects.com/welcome-to-the-era-of-the-fanboy-filmmaker-d864ebab3f37#.qlsciqp0v
barnesandnoble.com/blog/sci-fi-fantasy/dune-at-50-common-misconceptions-about-frank-herberts-classic/),
moongadget.com/origins/dune.html).
youtu.be/Pj9UcKj7Dxo?t=152
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It will not fare any better under the mediocre hands of Villeneuve than it did with Lynch. He'll go all out and it will turn out like Lynch's did, or, more likely, he'll play it safe and it will be uninspired and miss a ton

people always act like the Lynch version has so many severe misgivings...and it just simply doesn't.

It really does not deviate that terribly far from the book and when it does there is logic in it's decisions.

reading Dune is actually a lot like The Fellowship of the Ring. there is quite a lot of boring nonsense that doesn't go anywhere in both of their first "acts". Lynch and his writers knew what to cut and change, the same way Jackson knew to skip an ass-load of boring and unimportant shit between frodo's departure from bag end and arrival at Bree.

I loved Dune but I've never seen the movie. Be real with me, how bad is it?

>implying that Tom bombadil was boring.
>not realizing they could have stayed there the entire books super safe.

Every director has a bad movie. This shall be his. HBO Miniseries at best. Doesn't work out as a movie. Villeneuve also doesn't seem to be a trilogy guy.

it's probably an order of magnitude better than you're imagining.

It is in and of itself a gom jobbar for plebs.

>hey dol merry ho! beyond my realm is scary!
>even though i act like this, i swear i'm not a fairy!
>i know she hasn't shaved, her pussys getting hairy!
>tonight me and the hobbits run a train on Goldberry!

Don't care, we already have an excellent Dune adaptation.

there are only really two flaws
> paul is miscast and has no presence
> Pacing is a bit rushed to fit into a single movie

everything else is pretty great t.b.h.

>Baron covered in boils
>My Name Is A Killing Sound
>Rain on Arrakis
>pretty good

face dancer detected

It should look nice at least. Clean lines and sand.

Mini-series just needed a much bigger budget and it would've been excellent. People complain about the age of actors, but you have to compromise at some points.

it's gonna be shit like arrival was.

watched this piece of shit the other day. how did lynch survive this?

it's a total trainwreck. the only redeeming factor of the movie is that pimple-covered flying fat man who is pretty funny (although he was not explained well, nor was his culture/society)

This chart is so wrong it is offensive. Also, Rain on Arrakis is a recurring image in the book.

Yeah but Paul doesn't make it happen by magic, despite what any Fremen has told you he's not magic. He's just good at martial arts and has super autism powers to crunch probability numbers without a calculator

it will be good science fantasy

In the books. The point of the Rain in the movie is to drive home that he is the Kwizatz Haderach. Lynch could only make one movie, so he just jumped Paul up to being the messiah. The sound weapons are stupid though.

that's wrong though.

he's literally a psychic supreme being who has prophetic visions through the entirety of the book. He was not merely just a powerful mentat.

Legendary, and a director who has a penchant for psychodrama, has already displayed a good grasp of scifi storytelling techniques, and who read the series as a kid is already a very promising combination. I'm having trouble coming up with a more ideal pairing, maybe Canal+ and Jodo?

Listen my fedaykin friend, he's not psychic. his prophetic visions are just drug fuelled hallucinations coupled with his extraordinary ability to calculate probability because yes he was trained as a mentat AND he was the an unexpected end result of a centuries old eugenics program.

Main problem here is they could be pushing some bullshit political message. Keep in mind Dune would make for a perfect contrarian story about the Muslim people, for example.

I've read dune books 1-3 and I loved most of it (despite not being a fan of sci-fi or fantasy), but they lost me by they end of the third book. There was just too much religious gibberish. And it seems I missed the transition from "fremen religion is made up by Paul's mom's sisterhood so Paul can rule arrakis" and "Paul is actually the Messiah, and he actually has magic powers, and his son also has actual magic powers"

There's no transition. The Sisterhood knew they were going to get their Kwizats Haderach sooner or later, so the myths they planted reflect that.

herbert straight up believed in psychic visions and all that shit because he thought his wife was. It's fairly clear Paul and his mother are quite psychic.

how the fuck do you explain Alia literally being the consciousness of another person?

WHEN will god emperor of Dune be made into a movie?

One of the top herbert novels written, next to Jesus Incident

This is a terrible reading of the book.

please re-read

You mean when she starts channeling the Baron? All Bene Gesserit can do that. Basically the idea is that a person's memories are passed along through their DNA and since she's *spoiler* the Baron's granddaughter she can therefore access his personality at will.

don't bother man - he has not read the books.

Villenue hasn't made a single bad movie yet. It will be kino

Legendary is the chink company, user. They don't subscribe to western id politics. They probably are just looking to..arrive..on the blockbuster market, with technical awards in mind.

But if the love and quality is really competitive, they could score a Return of the King and sweep awards season.

So the breeding thing worked and he really has magic genes?

This
Also just made me realize the assassins creed plot is a rip-off of this

Yep.

It's not really magic as much as Spice "unlocking the human potential" and Kwisatz Haderach is a an extreme conjunction of various aspects in one person.

Are books 4-6 still worth reading?

only the first book is worth reading

personally I think only the first book is really worth reading. It's a perfect story. A boy grows up while orchestrating revenge for the death of his father and is crowned god emperor of the universe - the end!

Past God-Emperor is the liminal zone between Frank-tier quality and Brian-tier

God-Emperor is really good. I enjoyed 5 and 6 as well, but they're two thirds of an unfinished trilogy.

That's a very pedestrian way of reading it.

That all happens in book 1? Damn I forgot that, I read the first three all in succession. The story of Paul's kids never interested me much and I know that somewhere he becomes some sort of blind hobo (although not really blind because he can see the future)

Yup, the second book is about his jihad across the universe and the third is about him taking off into the desert and then his son becomes a worm man.

>the second book is about his jihad across the universe
It's more about the consequences of it and how it changed him and the Fremen.

That's... that's how the prophecies work in Dune it's all calculations using spice.

That's the only way to read the book! It just says it! There's no fucking subtext to that part at all
>Mentats DO predict shit and make impossible calculations
>Spice DOES improve your brain speed so quick you start jumping the gun and know things before they happen
>Navigators really do see into the future
>Paul IS the result of a breeding experiment to make a fortune telling superman

It's just fucking... what is going on here??? I've just come out of a /tg/ thread where tards have gotten loose from their wranglers and are debating if Aragorn or Boromir is the better fighter as if it's a mystery when it's just fucking stated in the book Boromir is the strongest fighter.

God Emperor is the best book in the series, but you can stop once you've finished it without missing anything good.

If it were calculations based on probability then why does the Dune Tarot introduced in the second book by Paul's enemies cloud his visions of the future?

>>Mentats DO predict shit
They don't really do that, Paul's (and Alia's, and Leto II's) abilities are unique. Mentats are just really good at analyzing data and making conclusions, but a Mentat without data is useless. Prescience goes way, way past it.

I mean, Paul starts getting prophetic dreams while he's on Caladan.

Arrival was shit. I have no hope for this.

I always read the Tarot as being mystic bullshit that's just random. The widespread randomness of it means people act in unpredictable ways

>but a Mentat without data is useless. Prescience goes way, way past it.
>I mean, Paul starts getting prophetic dreams while he's on Caladan.

Okay these are good fucking points, they don't have the unlimited date needed.

sound weapons made sense since his name was powerful

it was a psychedelic novel idea

It was a sloppy shortcut of explaining the weirding ways and reduces the Emperor's motivatons for wanting to kill leto down to oh well he has a new sound powered sooooper weapon.

If they make a movie, how do you think the technology and fighting will be?

Will there be computers and ipods and hi-tech doodads?
Will everyone run around shooting each other with machine guns?

Or will it be legit?

Not even Lynch's Dune missed the point so much, so I doubt it.

This God-Emperor is God-Emperor-tier and has a perfect ending for the series. But don't touch the books that come after it or the prequels. Books 5-7 feel like a direct to dvd sequel, and prequels are just shit.

>prequels

Paul, did I ever tell you about the Titan, Agamemnon? Adopting the names of prominent figures in history, the Titans directed the machines to rise up and seize humanity, installing themselves as dictators for life. Eventually the group separated to each rule their own worlds in the galaxy, utilizing the thinking machines that had originally brought them to power as the means to control entire planets. Realizing that their human bodies were fragile and their lifespans limited, they found a way to extend their lives indefinitely: installing their brains with the help of specialized interfaces into large, walking machine bodies. Calling themselves cymeks, the Titans were virtually unstoppable in these new fearsome, weaponized bodies. Having pushed to the very farthest limits of artificial intelligence, their own machines ran their empire for them for a century. Then, having mistakenly given one attendant AI program too much autonomy, the Titans suddenly found themselves overthrown and enslaved by an AI consciousness calling itself Omnius that seized control of the entire universe through the interconnected machine network. For over 900 years the Titans lived in perpetual servitude to Omnius, cruelly subjugating humanity, quelling human insurrections and secretly plotting their own return to power. And he was a good ancestor.

Fucking neckbeard, did you just spoil the prequel books I never read. Anyway, how were the films and miniseries? I've never read any of the books.

Weren't the Bene Gesserit only able to channel female ancestors? And Alia was posessed by the Baron's personality, while Bene Gesserit only bring up memories.
IIRC Leto and his sister were posessed as well, but by more benevolent personalities.

perhaps but Alia is also one of those abominations which didn't normally happen so she may have some additional abilities.

It's really bad, i don't know how people are defending it.

Leto "created" his personality from a multitude of important ancestors of his.

Dune is unironically my favorite film of all time.

>clearly didn't get dune

its in my top 5 sci fi films

Can't he stick to making his own movies?
Why'd he even take this job (or the Bladerunner one)?

It will probably be a bit more high tech than in the books. The little bible Paul gets from the doctor will probably be more of a tablet/e-book thing for example.
I doubt they will have guns in it. Hopefully it will indeed be only daggers, swords and such. And a few lasguns of corse.

I'm more interested in the art design though. I hope they won't go all grimderp and have everybody wear black and dark colors. The descriptions in the books for the clothing worn by the Baron or Feyd were pretty colorful. Also wondering if the emperor and the sardaukar will have Islamic influences in their uniforms.

Ha!

>star wars prequels
>hobbit
>dune: machine crusade
>star trek: enterprise

Why are prequels so uniformly garbage?

The Hobbit was a good book, and doesn't really count as a prequel in any case; it was written before The Lord of the Rings.

it's so bad that contrarian shitposters call it kino on Sup Forums

I have not read the article, just the title: filmschoolrejects.com/welcome-to-the-era-of-the-fanboy-filmmaker-d864ebab3f37#.qlsciqp0v But maybe it will help out.

don't watch it. people who first see the movie then read the book like it, but people who've read the book don't. it's a mess.

actually do watch it but don't expect much.

The oddball old fashioned tech like microfiche books and knife fighting make sense in-universedue to the ban on advanced computers and shields, respectively. Doing away with them for any reason would make an adaptation less "Dune-ish". Also, here's hoping any depiction of lasguns do the book justice.

As far as costumes go, I agree. Other than the fremem, most characters we see are royalty/nobility who should be decked out in pretty flamboyant attire. Props to the Sci-fi miniseriesand jodorowski for keeping that in mind.

Sorry, yes. The book was top tier, I was referring to the movies, I should have been specific.

Sauce?

I don't really care about the movies or the books, but what about the explosions? Like when the lasgun's beams come into contact with a person's shield and explodes. Duncan Idaho left the Sardauker that surprise in the desert. Wait, do the beams of lasguns hitting a shield actually cause an explosion?

>Weren't the Bene Gesserit only able to channel female ancestors?
yes, and literally the point of their eugenic program was to create a being that will have access also to male ancestors memories. Alia also had Kwisatz Haderach genes as Pauls sister, so she had access to those memories.

Pretty much the whole subplots of Frodo escaping Bag End to Bree are quite useless except only the Bombadil section tho.

It's alright, but I've only seen the spicediver fan edit. The official release might be crap, I don't know.

There is no comfort in complacency.

Staying with tom would've meant being completely okay with the rest of the world burning and eventually sauron would've just rolled in.

Moebius' concept art for Jodorowski's Dune adaptation.

It's good, a good litmus test for plebs although the sound guns are kind of stupid. They redeemed them when one of the fremen says Muad'dib and it sets the gun off

>weaponized autism

Far into the future, during Miles Teg's time, weren't there like mutant monsters. What was all that about? And about the Honored Matres, that kind of reminded me of all those women being harvested for milk in that Mad Max: Fury Road film. Was it the Ixian breeding tubes or the Bene Tlelaxian tubes (Did I spell that right?).

Also, I read that Frank Herbert was kind of homophobic, cause you know the Baron Vladimir Harkonnen and Duncan Idaho's behavior towards the Fish Speakers after he saw some of them making out. Also, Alia becoming possessed by the Baron Harkonnen seems transphobic. Are they just going to remake the first book, or is it going to be another film franchise and the other books are going to be adapted? How are these issues going to be addressed, you know, the whole homophobia stuff.

I just found this a few moments ago and it says that Frank Herbert isn't homophobic (barnesandnoble.com/blog/sci-fi-fantasy/dune-at-50-common-misconceptions-about-frank-herberts-classic/), but when I checked out some websites like more than a decade ago during my high school years, I ran into some websites that said Frank Herbert was homophobic: (moongadget.com/origins/dune.html). So I don't know.

It's a reaction caused by the shields interacting with the laser. That's why lasers are a no no because nobody wants to vaporize half the city they're fighting over

Alia's memory access was due to Jessica's drinking the water of life while pregnant. Had that not happened, and alia had grown up normal, she could have mothered a son from Feyd, which would have been the kwitzach haderak the bene Gesserit originally planned for.

>Far into the future, during Miles Teg's time, weren't there like mutant monsters. What was all that about?
IIRC they were artificially bred by Honored Matres or devolved descendants of humans or something like that.
>And about the Honored Matres, that kind of reminded me of all those women being harvested for milk in that Mad Max: Fury Road film. Was it the Ixian breeding tubes or the Bene Tlelaxian tubes (Did I spell that right?).
The Honored Matres descend from Leto's fish speakers who, along with many others, went away from the Empire exploring new territories. They all came rushing back when they discovered the thinking machines, who weren't defeated as previously though, but were in hiding the whole time.

>a gom jabbar for plebs
Kek

>I just found this a few moments ago and it says that Frank Herbert isn't homophobic (barnesandnoble.com/blog/sci-fi-fantasy/dune-at-50-common-misconceptions-about-frank-herberts-classic/), but when I checked out some websites like more than a decade ago during my high school years, I ran into some websites that said Frank Herbert was homophobic: (moongadget.com/origins/dune.html). So I don't know.
>one website says one thing and a different website says the opposite
Jeez what a conundrum
Think for yourself faggot

yeah, water of life was a catalyst, but I think that Alia's genes also played a role

Can't wait for all the alt-right butthurt threads about the heroes of the movie being Space Muslims and Hollywood propaganda

>It really does not deviate that terribly far from the book and when it does there is logic in it's decisions.

You know except for the entire fucking ending, making Paul to really be some godlike creature who summons rain, FUCKING RAIN, on to dune.

Paul never wanted to be worshiped and he hates the whole idea of what the fremen think he is.

Staying faithful to a book is terrible. Very few literary writers write their books with the notion of it becoming a film in mind. What works well in a book (especially areas such as pacing and characterisation) never translate well into a film. The best films are the ones that deviate greatly from the source material (see: Psycho, The Shining, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Trainspotting, etc).

Everybody is a space Muslim in Dune though.

if youre watching it for the first time in the year of our lord 2017, you probably wont like it.

Who would you cast as Paul? Will they get an actual teenager this time or will they cast another 30 year old to play a 15 year old?

Oh it's bad. And I love science fiction and David Lynch and Kyle MacLachlan.

You're an idiot. Paul has supernatural powers. He does even crazier things in book 2. His son is even more supernatural in books 3 and 4.

The only power Paul has is being prescient.

It's not bad, it's boring. Just listen to this, the best thing that came out of it.
youtu.be/Pj9UcKj7Dxo?t=152

I read Dune through God Emperor when I was 13 or 14. It blew my mind and I didn't understand everything, but I knew I was reading greatness. I couldn't get into Heretics though.

supernatural, magical, high science, whats the difference? the fuck are you two doing stuck arguing semantics for

the only important criterion for the worth of the story is does it follows the rules it sets out exposing with consistency, and if it does break those rules, does the story do it in a highly entertaining manner