Move over 2001

Move over 2001

Ironic shitposting is still shitposting. Sage.

move over reddit

Move over science.

i unironically kek'd OP

both are pleb filters

WATCH IT 4CHEN

Went to see it last night and was disappointed, but I think it's just because I had the movie spoiled for me.

I felt like they took the easy way out at some points. Having on screen subtitles for the aliens felt a little cheap, especially considering the subject matter.

Arrival is part of a recent series of movies I'd describe as Dunning-Kruger Sci-Fi. Along with Interstellar and to a somewhat lesser extent The Martian, they perfectly play to the crowd that fancies themselves as (and, to be fair, may truly be) smarter than average audiences but are not as smart as genuinely "smart people." They are movies designed to make the audience feel smart by introducing complicated and heady concepts, and then holding the viewer's hand the entire way through until there is next to nothing to be left up to interpretation.

If you didn't already know the twist in Arrival by the time she was in the milky section of the ship with the aliens AT LEAST, you perfectly fit the audience I am talking about.

There is no reward for being smart while viewing these movies because everything is eventually spelled out in big fridge magnet letters. Any clever idea is made so transparent that even the most simple in the audience will get it. It also removes any reward for rewatching or trying to figure out what you just saw.

Granted, there is a difference between Arrival and Interstellar. I think where Interstellar was pretending to have a brain it actually didn't have, Arrival has a brain that it is refusing to let the audience use.

Completely disappointing movie.

Also
>so that just happened

This neurotic garbled piece of virtue signaling garbage receives positive feedback on Sup Forums?

Not even the Inception effect aka. too dumb to know when something is bad aka. The Emperor's New Clothes, can explain it.

Is Sup Forums overran by paid shills.

I gave it a 3/10 purely for the aestethics.

It is legitimately one of the worst films I have watched in years. Of course I don't watch random trash, but as far as Sci-Fi or even Sci-Fantasy, this was a piece of garbage, a blatant ripoff of the Day The Earth Stood still and Contact and I thought the single mom concept was just the icing on the cake for an all around piece of *beep* lecturing mess.

No way, no way at all does this film receive above 6 unless ratings have become politicized where the "message" is rated, not the film.

Stalinesque applauding in written format.

F you, who ever produced this.

>more Interstellar bashing
fuck you

>Having on screen subtitles for the aliens felt a little cheap
the version i watched didnt have this

Excactly. Villeneuve did the impossible: he replaced Kubrick as the most overrated director ever.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

It was necessary because the sentence "Abott is death process" is crucial not to misinterpret as "Abott died/is dead"

>I DIDN’T FIND THIS PART OF THE NARRATIVE REALISTIC OR PLAUSIBLE SO IT MUST BE SHIT

Reminder that film is a visual medium, the written narrative is just one element of the whole

Also
>the single mom concept was just the icing on the cake
That was the actual story, Amy Adams character relationship with life/death and embracing every waking moment of it.
The ayy lmao stuff is only a plot device to propell the actual narrativr forward.

Don't watch films with heavy preconcieved expectations of what it should be.

b8

In your dreams Pedro, in your dreams.

>Stalinesque applauding in written format.
What
This got to be a pasta

Sorry if this has been asked several times, but why did the aliens have to make it so goddamn complicated? If they can travel through space in their super advanced ships, surely they must have the ability to just tell us what's up?

Because it's not just about telling us the message, it's about us working together and all that cheesy shit.

If they just landed in New York and told them the message, you think anyone else in the world would believe that was all what the aliens did?

Happens in every alien benefactor movie, unfortunately. To create more action and drama.

The future 4th dimension humans in Interstellar didn't have to have humanity go on a wild goose chase through a wormhole and put a time machine of a little girl's bedroom inside a black hole to conquer gravity. They could.have given the formula directly to their ancestors.

These aliens in Arrival could have come prepared and given out specific instructions in our primitive languages rather than nearly start a war with savages.

I mean they kind of could have. They could land, come out in some sort of bulletproof thing and say
>"Whaddup, we're aliens and we're here to teach you a new language. We're not dangerous, so please gather all your world leaders and you can ask us questions for as long as you want. Broadcast this live to the entire world so they all know what's up."

If their purpose was linked to written language, why was the woman the one who brought up writing first?

this whole movie seemed like a self insert fantasy for women.

>Broadcast this live to the entire world so they all know what's up

And you think the government of whatever country they land on would do that?

lmao