Why do Brits have a show called "Soccer" Saturday?

why not call it "Football" Saturday?

because that sounds awful

Because the channel is called sky sports and aliteration. There's already a simliar show called football focus anyway

Big if true

how often does your kind refer to football as soccer?

Never

Literally only when talking about soccer saturday

then why the FUCK is it called soccer saturday

I know nobody actually pays attention in middleschool anymore due to no child left behind since you can literally fail every single class in secondary school in the US and test out to highschool, and in highschool you could slack off and get D's and graduate, but the definition of alliteration as per google is "the occurrence of the same letter or sound at the beginning of adjacent or closely connected words."

Which both start with the similar S sound, thus making it alliterate and catchier than Football Saturday. Simple marketing.

Sky Sports Soccer Saturday
vs.
Sky Sports Football Saturday

Which sounds better?

Not watching soccer tbqhwyf

The term "soccer" actually comes from England.

Why do americans always point this out as if it's some sort of checkmate

as does the whole of the english language

Englishmen exposed.

It does, but it's never been known as soccer here. Oxford University students, who are famous for 'proper sports' like rowing and rugby, called it 'soccer' to mock those who played it. It was and is always known as football. It's a colloquialism at best.

>it's never been known as soccer here

It was specifically called association football. The codes were formed here.

People use the term soccer, especially for young people playing unofficial games, all the time.

Alliteration.

>rugby
Don't people sometimes refer to it as "rugger"?
Or David Cameron as "Cammers"?

>Or David Cameron as "Cammers"?
No, we call him pig fucker

Irish here so can't weigh in fully but I am a rugby fan. Only the poshest of D4 faggots, who pretty much larp as English, call it rugger.

Also, fans of other sports who think rugby is posh sometimes call it rugger, to mock people who play it, and call the players rugger buggers, ie rugby faggots.

Love it whenever I see burgers posting this because they LITERALLY think that Brits called it Soccer at one point. Instead of actually looking into it a little bit more and figuring out that the official name was (and still is) Association Football. Do you know what grumpy fat old Englishmen called it Association Football when discussing their primitive clubs in the pub? None. Everyone just ended up calling it "Football", because Association Football is too long and sounds shit.

>Not calling it football Friday

damn that was hard

I'm probably getting baited, but Soccer Saturday is basically like redzone for the NFL. You wouldn't have redzone on a Saturday would you?

The matches happen on a Saturday, you dumb cunt