/lang/ - language learning

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

Check the first few replies ITT for plenty of language resources as well as some nice image guides. /lang/ is currently short on those image guides, so if you can pitch in to help create one for a given language, don't hesitate to do so!

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup
duolingo.com/
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
memrise.com/
lingvist.com/
clozemaster.com/languages
tatoeba.org/eng/
forvo.com
effectivelanguagelearning.com/language-guide/language-difficulty
lexicity.com/
cosmogyros.tumblr.com/post/108962232110/huge-new-language-learning-collection
dliflc.edu/resources/products/
en.childrenslibrary.org
hellotalk.com/#en
italki.com/
mylanguageexchange.com/
interpals.net/
gospeaky.net/
speaky.com/
polyglotclub.com/
lang-8.com/
goethe-verlag.com/
languagetransfer.org/
babadum.com
context.reverso.net/translation/
i.imgur.com/GaPEIBr.png
i.imgur.com/zAN5eMU.png
i.imgur.com/thYqRE9.png
i.imgur.com/UpCEFWl.png
i.imgur.com/ZTrFFlB.png
i.imgur.com/CzpgmUP.png
i.imgur.com/OR95Lah.jpg
i.imgur.com/Ur8PzMZ.png
i.imgur.com/InA8n4n.png
i.imgur.com/mNvOu9i.png
i.imgur.com/zhwCKlo.png
i.imgur.com/AKboS8t.jpg
i.imgur.com/IQW5sKT.png
i.imgur.com/zjjjxct.png
i.imgur.com/IgPQdj8.jpg
discord.gg/9EMAAef
youtube.com/watch?v=Tfxf4pV-zJg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLq0sxgS3gD9D3iNoMH2lLXB6wx18Xgwi8
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiatus_(linguistics)
4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/Russian
radiolingua.com/
fr.wiktionary.org/wiki/Annexe:Conjugaison_en_français/aimer
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Broke ur combo :^)

>Language learning resources:
4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

duolingo.com/
>Duolingo is a free language-learning platform that includes a language-learning website and app, as well as a digital language proficiency assessment exam. Duolingo offers all its language courses free of charge.
>Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30+ languages.

drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
>Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages.

fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
>Drill based courses with text and audio.The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) is the United States federal government's primary training institution for employees of the U.S. foreign affairs community.These courses are all in public domain and free to download.Site may go down sometimes but you can search for fsi on google and easily find a mirror.

memrise.com/
>Free resource to learn vocabulary, nice flash cards.

lingvist.com/
>It's kinda like Clozemaster in the sense that you get a sentence and have to fill in the missing word, also has nice statistics about your progress, grammar tips and more information about a word (noun gender, verb aspects for Russian, etc.)

ankisrs.net/
>A flash card program

clozemaster.com/languages
>Clozemaster is language learning gamification through mass exposure to vocabulary in context.Can be a great supplementary tool, not recommended for absolute beginners.

tatoeba.org/eng/
>Tatoeba is a collection of sentences and translations with over 300 hundred languages to chose from.

radio.garden/
>Listen to radio all around the world through an interactive globe

forvo.com
>Has pronunciation for lots of words in lots of languages

effectivelanguagelearning.com/language-guide/language-difficulty
>Check out information about languages and their difficulties

lexicity.com/
>An invaluable resource for comparative language study as well as those interested in ancient languages

cosmogyros.tumblr.com/post/108962232110/huge-new-language-learning-collection
>A very extensive language learning collection for 90+ languages.

dliflc.edu/resources/products/
>Similar to FSI, drill-based courses with text and audio issued by the US government.These courses were made for millitary personel in mind unlike FSI.

en.childrenslibrary.org
>Lots of childrens books in various languages, categories 3-5yo, 6-9yo, 10-13yo.

hellotalk.com/#en
>The app is basically whatsapp, but only connects you with people who are native in the language you are trying to learn. It also has a facebook type section where you can share pics and stuff too.

italki.com/
mylanguageexchange.com/
interpals.net/
gospeaky.net/
speaky.com/
polyglotclub.com/
lang-8.com/
>Few more language exchange communities like Hellotalk:

goethe-verlag.com/
>A mostly free site which offers audio and drill like exercises for 40+ languages.

languagetransfer.org/
>A free resource with recordings to learn a language.

babadum.com
>Flash card game with a focus on vocabulary.

context.reverso.net/translation/
>A website like Tatoeba (also has a Firefox extension!)

LANGUAGE-SPECIFIC IMAGE GUIDES/WALKTHROUGHS:

>Arabic
i.imgur.com/GaPEIBr.png

>Farsi
i.imgur.com/zAN5eMU.png

>Finnish
i.imgur.com/thYqRE9.png

>French
i.imgur.com/UpCEFWl.png

>German
i.imgur.com/ZTrFFlB.png
i.imgur.com/CzpgmUP.png

>Irish
i.imgur.com/OR95Lah.jpg

>Japanese
i.imgur.com/Ur8PzMZ.png
i.imgur.com/InA8n4n.png

>Mandarin (traditional characters)
i.imgur.com/mNvOu9i.png

>Russian
i.imgur.com/zhwCKlo.png

>Spanish
i.imgur.com/AKboS8t.jpg
i.imgur.com/IQW5sKT.png

>Swedish
i.imgur.com/zjjjxct.png

>Turkish
i.imgur.com/IgPQdj8.jpg

delet

Anyone learn a language solely through immersion? Just chuck yourself into a foreign culture for a year or so?

Got any of them Portuguese guides?

gonna make a conlang out of this

didn't mean to @ anyone

That will never work. Just listen to people speaking and you won't get it. You're not a newborn child. It's complete gibberish to you.

Follow the Spanish one and mix it with the first step of the French one (learning the nasal sounds). Join the Discord if you want natives to help you.

But hat has worked before though. You just have to actually try and really put an effort to it.

It'll never work, I can already tell because of my own conlang

what's the main reason why?

Is it just me or is Ethnologue a reall bad source?

Not only that, but it would seem that they've gone full jew and now hide their content behind a paywall (even though it's extremely easy to bypass using Google Cached, at least for the time being).

you drew your squiggly line slightly wrong in the top right one

>reall
really

LOL

Thanks, got a link for the discord?

discord.gg/9EMAAef

Yeah I mean how else would we really connect with other tribes and people at first?

why do you have a discord for a thread on Sup Forums?

I can't stop thinking about how we need a replacement for lang8. Maybe we could improvise something for the people actually interested in learning on this board? A well moderated discord perhaps or just a general but I don't know about that.

Because language discussion benefits from easy chatting with other people doing the same or similar things. This thread was dying early long before the discord, at least this way some people can keep a steady stream going.

>120 cards to study
>50 min left of the day

Anki starts the "day" whenever you want it to. It's in your settings. I have my start-of-day set to 9am.

I know, I used to have the day start at 4am but I reset it to midnight to force myself to form good habits.

I'll bump this for you guys

I will bump as well.

Our guy Paul made a new video
youtube.com/watch?v=Tfxf4pV-zJg

>two months in
>couldn't understand basically any of the Spanish in Narcos S3E1 last night.

And you won't. They talk fast and there's a mixture of accents. Go with something easier, two months is nothing.

I'm watching it anyways and was just hoping to be able to understand some bits. I basically got nothing.

There doesn't seem to be anything easy really. I've tried some movies too but everything is extremely fast for me still.

You think in 6 months watching media would be more fruitful?

It's impossible to put a time on that my man. It depends on what resources you're using and how fast you learn.
You should start watching shows for kids though. Doesn't the BBC have one for Spanish? The German one was priceless. Antonesco (or something like that) got himself into some serious shit trafficking drugs man. You should watch that.
He also talks to the security dude.

Why do all native English speakers say things like "there's people" all the time? Shouldn't it be "there are people"

In fact everyone should watch it even if they're not interested in learning German. It's some The Wire level stuff.

Sitcom to learn German - subtitled: youtube.com/playlist?list=PLq0sxgS3gD9D3iNoMH2lLXB6wx18Xgwi8

I'll see what I can torrent, thanks

'People' is a singular noun.

But, yes, most confuse singular and plural nouns
very often.

That's not correct user.

I didn't even know why we write coïncidence like this, interdasting.

Not many people use the plural "peoples" so in most forms of modern English, people can be both singular or plural but is usually plural.

'People' is singular, 'peoples' is plural.

It's called 'dieresis'. Americans used to do too.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiatus_(linguistics)

Both are acceptable in modern English, depending on context. And even then there's things like where I'd argue both are correct.

Wow I was about to say that's an exception bc I assumed since you're not anglophone, but no, sorry for making assumptions, you're correct. 'People' can be singular in certain contexts but yeah that isn't one.

It's just become vernacular because it's quicker. "There's a lot of people" flows better than "There're a lot of people" (or "there are") but in in formal written English you'd say that there are

Then why don't you say "people is tall" instead of "people are tall"? As far as i know people is a plural noun.

Because 'people' is a collective noun, and although singular, implies a plural.

> The Dutch are a tall people.
is used singularly, and is fine.

Go for 18 months

How do I get rid of my accent? I know I have one but can't tell what I'm pronouncing weirdly.

Why would you want to get rid of your accent? Keep it.

Because sometimes people ask me if I'd prefer to speak English.

Protip: you can't. People usually like the accents though, I've met a lot of native english people that would like to have one (a non-native accent).

4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/Russian

For those learning Russian, don't forget to chech this page, especially Pushkin's Institute, as it has the most complete course online for free. I even dare to say that it's the best online course of any language out there.
Already on the B1 course, let me know if you have questions

who /CoffeeBreak/ here?
Would recommend if you're a Pimsleur fan
get to listen to a cute Scottish learner
radiolingua.com/

Does DuoLingo use Pimsleur?

That long huh? Thanks.

I'm so loaded with tools right now. Think that would be worthwhile after finishing Pimsleur? Or would it start to basic?

No. Duolingo is its own thing.

well you can try jump in later, don't know if it gets as advanced but each episode has a description so you'll know if you've already learnt that.

Oh I thought Pimsleur was a technique and not a brand/thing.

What about all those non-native speakers who are accent free?

They always have some. But if you want to improve, talk more, listen to yourself and try to change how you say certain sounds.

Maybe you are thinking of spaced repetition? Pimsleur didn't develop that but they use it. Duolingo doesn't really use spaced repetition either since it doesn't hold you to a certain pace. To use spaced repetition with what you learn on Duolingo you can enter the terms into Anki or Quizlet which have long term learning/spaced repetition algorithms

Anyone else here starting to study Valyrian on duolingo?
Is this the new Klingon??

Kek. Not me. Just watched the finale it's really gone downhill. Still a fun show though don't care what anyone says. I miss those comfy Hound and Arya scenes though.

I can't find examples of foreigners speaking with a native accent off the top of my head, but I can think of plenty English people who successfully changed their accent. Thatcher, Stephen Fry, Ian Richardson, ... presumably, while it may have been easier for them, it's the same principle, and it should be achievable with enough effort. Elocution lessons would be best.

>everything is extremely fast for me still.
Yeah, Spanish is spoken quite fast even general, apparently about four syllables per second on average, compared to the English two. Not to mention that if it's fucking narcos they're probably not the pinnacle of enunciating clearly and using proper Spanish without slang. Argentina's right about shows aimed towards kids as a starting point; Disney movies can often be not brain-crushing and yet aren't too bad with the dialectical stuff most of the time, and shouldn't be too tough to find with subtitles, if you like those.

no, he's right. The Pimsleur method was a fade in the '70s. My father briefly had it in his first German class in college. It's where they never show the learners written material and simply do verbal lessons and labs; he said the Professor gave up on it halfway through the semester

Thanks, I'll look for some Spanish Disney.

That would be worthless for me. Pimsleur I have to supplement with flashcards or my progress moves at snail pace. Michel Thomas is probably better for no written material since he explains concepts.

it's a gimmick that Rosetta Stone's pseudoscience eventually evolved from. The idea that trying to mimicking early language acquisition, like that of a child learning their mother tongue, makes any sense for an adult and should be copied for efficiency

Pimsleur pushes me to learn what is covered, but the actual lessons don't teach me as much as they should imo. For me it ends up being Listen 1 == the lecture, then I study, then Listen 2 == The Test, most of the time.

Why do native Spanish speakers say things like "habían tres niños" and "habrán accidentes" all the time, instead of Standard & Correct "había tres niños" and "habrá accidentes"? It's the same thing.

It's just an example of there being more than one way of saying the same thing, with different connotations. "There's people" is less formal, more colloquial than "there are people".

Note it doesn't just apply to "people" but to any plural noun: "there's three boys playing on the sand", "there's many men who think that", "there's problems in the code you wrote". You can replace "there's" in all these examples with "there are" if you want.

Periscope is a cool resource for listening practice.

Countries are stupidly stereotypical though. Everyone in the UK is fat and ugly, everyone in France is an arab or black, americans are all fat and/or black, there are no women in the middle east, Russia/Ukraine has a lot of jailbait and ugly/scary men.

It's fun just checking out the globe like with the radiogarden.

kek, I'm not even surprised

bumping bc this is actually really useful and helpful

In this order

Is my door likely to be kicked in if I'm American and learning Russian with it?

Why does Russia have such a low GDP?

Spain and Argentina have some wins. Gotta search for them though.

Because your country's press is describing Russia as a ghastly monster

>can't make money because the us is bullying you

Does anybody know Quebec French here?

Is "(tu) vas" pronounced differently from "(il) va"?

Is the passé simple "(tu) aimas" also pronounced differently from "(il) aima"? And which "a" sound does the imparfait du subjonctif "(qu'il) aimât" have?

I know I wouldn't have this problem if I studied the French language of France, but that's not what I'm aiming at.

can't help for your first question (tu vas / il va, since i don't know too much about quebec french, in standard french they're pronounced the same though i'm pretty sure), but the second and third concern literary tenses / forms, so their pronunciation shouldn't be too different from the french one.
if this : fr.wiktionary.org/wiki/Annexe:Conjugaison_en_français/aimer is accurate, then aimas / aima /aimât should all have the same vowel sound for the 'a' in them.

I can't help you either, but interestingly
>aimât
could be pronounced differently in a old/posh accent, in the way that
>patte
>pâtes
could differ. The â would be lower and longer. Pronouncing it that way, in Europe at least, will out you as an insufferable cunt.

>Is "(tu) vas" pronounced differently from "(il) va"?
No, both are pronounced as a mid central vowel.

>Is the passé simple "(tu) aimas" also pronounced differently from "(il) aima"?
No, but keep in mind that passé simple is absolutely never used in spoken language or normal communicative language of any sort. It's strictly used in litterature, with only a couple of exceptions (for example, people might use something like "dit-il" as a bit of an idiom). And since Québec French is for the most part a spoken language, the question isn't really all that applicable to Québec French. When talking about passé simple, it works exactly the same in Québec as it does in France, since it's something learned "artificially" in school and litterature.

>And which "a" sound does the imparfait du subjonctif "(qu'il) aimât" have?
Same remark here. The imparfait du subjonctif is a strictly literary tense, except it's even rarer than the passé simple. The average Québécois has never once ever used that tense in any scenario, let alone in a spoken scenario. The only tense which is rarer than the imparfait du subjonctif is the plus-que-parfait du subjonctif. Therefore, the â in "aimât" is simply a standard French "a".

Seconded, was going to answer but this guy covered it pretty well.

This probably get asked a lot, but what does everyone think of Duolingo? I've seen a pretty considerable amount of people on both sides arguing it either being the best thing ever or overrated crap. Any Duolingo users here can say for sure whether or not it has been worth their time?

In my opinion it's great for playing with languages and for messing around with when you have a spare 5 minutes but calling it a supplemental resource is being generous.

What are you learning?

Nobody has a valid argument for saying it's the best thing ever. That said, it can be useful for the first few days or as an extra activity, but it's not a replacement for grammar books or some methods. Do some levels to see if you like the language or not. If you're interested, stop wasting your time and study for real. Unless you actually want to waste time and that's ok.

I know they're not used in spoken language much.
But if you guys had to read a text aloud that used these tenses, which sound of the letter A would you use?
Would you pronounce "il aima", "tu aimas", "qu'il aimât" with the same sound as the last A of "Le Canada"?

>Therefore, the â in "aimât" is simply a standard French "a".
This confuses me because in Quebec French there's basically two standard sounds for the letter A.

Same goes for "j'aimai". Does it have the é sound (like "aimer" and "j'aimerai") or the è sound (like "j'aimais")?

The pronunciation of French conjugated verbs is rather confusing to get right. How come no grammar book or textbook teaches it? Even the reference grammar books expect you to know, and just give you spellings without pronunciations...

It's decent in the early stages of the language if you use it with a grammar book. I found it good for learning vocab.
No need for it once you move to an Intermediate level.

>with the same sound as the last A of "Le Canada"?
If you're talking about "Le Canada" with Quebec French pronounciation [i.e. kanadə], then no. To be more clear, I'll refer to the various vowels by their proper phonetic names, therefore those vowels (aima/aimas/aimât), if read aloud, would be an open front unrounded vowel. This vowel is also the same as the first two a's in "le Canada".

>This confuses me because in Quebec French there's basically two standard sounds for the letter A.
There's actually three:
1) Open front unrounded vowel. This one is the most similar to the "standard" French a (though in reality it actually varies in standard French too, but to keep things simple we'll just say that in French they just use the open central unrounded vowel). This vowel is the one used in the first two a's in "Canada", and is similar to the English 'a' in "hat".
2) Open back unrounded vowel. This one is similar to the English "aw". It can be long (for example, the â in pâtes) or short (for example, the a in "dard"). Note that it can also be represented with a different letter, for example the 'o' in "dors" (present indicative conjugation of "dormir"). Therefore, "dort" and "dard" are pronounced the same in Quebec French.
3) Mid central vowel (a.k.a. schwa). This is similar to the 'a' in the English "above". It's often used at the end of words, for example the last 'a' in "Le Canada", "pas", "là", "va" [present indicative conjugation of "aller"], etc. It can also be represented by other letters, for example the 'o' in "ordre". It's also commonly used in anglicisms in lieu of various vowels, for example the 'o' in "stop".

>Same goes for "j'aimai". Does it have the é sound (like "aimer" and "j'aimerai") or the è sound (like "j'aimais")?
é, but in France they'll often mispronounce it as è

French, and yeah I would never substitute it for actual study, I figure at best it helps new learners become familiar with the language and gives them a guideline of what to study, or it can be used to test your knowledge

As everyone else said its a great starting tool. Teaches you some grammar but you'd be better with a book to use alongside it.

euskera has literally nothing to do with breton

Burada kimse türkçedeki radiyonu duyuyor mu? Looking for good channels on Radio Garden in Turkey (or TRNC).

*radyoyu dinliyor, affedersin

Ey another Turkish learner. I like Fenomen Türk but I suppose it depends on what kind of music you like overall. I find the pop songs are actually slow enough that I can make out and understand a lot of the words.

revive