One of the best films of the 00s and one of the best sci fi films ever made

>one of the best films of the 00s and one of the best sci fi films ever made
>shoestring budget of $7000

this is the future of kino my friends
All Hail Shane Carruth

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tUzy-xPf0MI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I didn't appreciate them keeping a major plot point vague for no reason.

>tfw Upstream Color is an underappreciated masterpiece

How do you mean?

i didn't get it when i watched this, guess i'm dumb

will probably have to watch it again but can't be assed to

As long as you know how the time machine works, it's not impossible to follow.

It's literally a Reddit film

Perhaps you have literally shit taste?

What happened at the party.

Modern Ocean fucking WHEN

Or perhaps you're easily taken in by meme science

What happens at the party is kept vague for little to no reason. This leaves the plot very confusing. When people voice their confusion about the plot the people who don't feel confused assume the confusion has something to do with not understanding how the time machine works. This builds up the ego of the latter group and has created a good portion of its fanbase.

The time machine is very easy to understand and very few people are confused by it. It's the fact that what they are trying to change in the past is never actually stated is what confuses people.

>major
Iirc there was a distrubance. They tried to fix it and it eventually worked. It's been awhile but it was the implications after the party like the guy with the beard that mattered. The idea of people repeating in that fashion.
Grain of salt though, it's been ages but I don't remember taking issue with that scene when I saw it.

Literally 'I am a contrarian and think that everything vague or obscure is automatically good'
This film is only celebrated by internet nerds from reddit because 'it's so hard to understand' while claiming they that 'got it' in the first watch to feel special and warm inside.

>meme science
There is no science more or less memey when it gets speculative. The relative realism is, at that point, based on execution. If you want science watch a documentary. Prefereably not a speculative one.

I saw this movie before reddit existed. But I get your point. Now for some store fronts.

>if I didn't get it no one can
The call of the retard.
You're giving me flash backs to fuck wits in SEL threads.

No one is confused about the time machine, faggot.

You are so special and smart for 'getting it' man.

Sadly making something *hard* to understand does not require any talent. This movie has no redeeming qualities other than being used for circlejerking by nu-film aficionados

Who said anything about that? You asserted that it was vague and obscure. You sound like you meant the movie not the internal narrative. If that's the case you should know, a film can be obscure as a piece but it cannot be vague.

Just because you don't enjoy it doesn't mean that other will not. Simple films are fine if they are executed well, so are complex ones. The fact that you have to drive a line between the two and not measure it all as a matter of execution is unreal. It's just another element of the film. What you're doing is like saying you hate scifi which means it's objectively bad and people who like it are trying hard to be science nerds or something. The quality of a film is not reliant on the constituant elements but the synthesis and implementation of them.
tl;dr
'Reeeeee complexity' is not an argument.

I love it. It's use of sound is amazing, not just in sound mixing but as a thematic elements, and I found it to be pretty emotional. A Topiary was a wonderful script to read :(

>you asserted
No I didn't.

>think that everything vague or obscure is automatically good
You were either talking about the narrative, which I addressed in my first response or the film as a whole which is retarded because while some films can be obscure they cannot be vague.
Which one is it mate?

>The quality of a film is not reliant on the constituant elements but the synthesis and implementation of them.
So what does Primer have going for other than having a chopped and screwed structure?
How is it (quoting OP) "one of the best films of the 00s and one of the best sci fi films ever made"?

This is a meme movie, people just like to namedrop it and humblebrag about how they got it and how good it is, but they can't really say anything positive about it other than it being complex

Go back to not making Modern Ocean, Shane.

Is there anything wrong with a great set piece action film only really shining in action set pieces? It did what it set out to do and did it well if you're into that sort of thing. The structure was nice, the story was well thought out with the right balance of thing that got explained and things that didn't. It felt very down to earth until the final timemachine contruction site scene. It took a fantastic concept, grounded and made it mundane. No doctor who bullshit, no Dejavu lives to save, no intratemporal romance.
While those factors may sound like detractions to you for others it's nice. I also like seeing boring but realistic fights too.
Doesn't mean they need to appear all the time or that I don't like bombastic action fight scenes but it DOES mean I have an appreciation for something a little closer to real.
As for that other stuff, ask OP, I didn't say it.

yeah some dude was stealing their idea or some shit, movies mad convoluted but fucking incredible

watch a fucking youtube video if you don't get it
youtube.com/watch?v=tUzy-xPf0MI

in some ways Upstream Color is better than Primer

that main female chick was my waifu for a few days

So can you say anything positive about it other than 'hurr i get it u don't '?

what's up with The Modern Ocean, there hasn't been anything about it since like 2015...is kill?

upstream color makes me want a crazy girlfriend

My point is that I wasn't that user.

Ahd a movie being vague about a major plot point for no reason is not a good thing.

I really can't tell if anyone actually enjoys this film or they just pretend to like it to start arguments.

I love this film

>tfw no a topiary
>tfw no modern ocean

worst movie Sup Forums tricked me into watching
it was the most boring "time travel" movie I've seen.
It was too hard to keep track of everything and the boring characters didn't even make it for me to keep me entertained
It was so boring the only thing I remember is a blurr

UGH

WHERE IS HE
>I'm a pleb

I don't really like Primer that much.

Upstream Color is pure unadulterated kino though

if liking obscure garbage makes me a pleb, then I'm the biggest pleb there is.
Also, Cube is a better "obscure" sci-fi movie. Low budget too.

...like did you not get it?
I don't understand why people don't like this movie, and boring is a horrible adjective for Primer

maybe I should give it another chance and I will get more on the second watch and appreciate it for what it is.

Watch this shit it explains everything
time travel and back stabbing is not boring

>It's good because it's cheap

If it wasn't for its budget noone would have given a fuck about it.

It's a convoluted shitfest made exclusively for people to go 2deep4u because they read the timeline graphic on Wikipedia

People who specialize in STEM shouldn't be allowed to make art films

Why? He's genuinely good at it.

the fuck is STEM?

majors that revolve around math, science, and engineering

thanks bro,,,:)