Popular Kodi Addon ‘Exodus’ Turned Users into a DDoS ‘Botnet’

>Exodus is one of the most-used Kodi addons out there, allowing users to obtain easy access to pirated movies and TV-shows. However, over the past week the same users were unwittingly part of a DDoS attack. After the issue raised eyebrows in the community, the Exodus developer rolled back the malicious code and retired.

torrentfreak.com/popular-kodi-addon-exodus-turned-users-into-a-ddos-botnet-170203/

Thanks for infecting me, Sup Forums

I will never listen to you again.

Torrents ftw.

Other urls found in this thread:

lwn.net/Articles/676664/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

underage please go

NEETcucks deleting their system 32 rn

Stopped using it anyway when I found out the CAS program was shut down earlier this week.

>using unnecessary suspect plugins to stream

>mfw I'm a bot

haha streaming faggots got what they deserve

>using kodi or anything even resembling it
>ever

ahahahaha

this is just as bad as linux mint fags if not worse, i bet i'm old enough to be grandfather to some of you shits but i still have a better handle on this basic bitch shit

>streaming

good riddance

>streaming
>kodi
xd

wintoddlers lmao, fucking stupid fucks.

What do you use?

Did you read the article?
It's not that bad, just opened low file size webpages of people that copied his code and threatened to dox him and get him in legal trouble.

like is it really that scary that it uses a little bit of ur data u didnt think it would?

the fuck is kodi?

i've used a ton of torrent clients and never heard of it. why do you need an addon for a torrent client anyway?

This doesn't affect me since I use a fire stick for kodi.

I'm not following. Did I I fall asleep and suddenly 2.2.1 doesn't exist?

lemme guess, HDMI cable?

You fuckin retard

>open sores
you fags deserve it

Because it's used on third party hardware like chromecast or amazon firestick.

Can't you just go to a torrent site and torrent the movie like a normal and sane person?

kodi getting a bad rap because of this shit. kodi is just a media player

some user mentioned that in 2 days ago.

Kodi is a botnet you fucking idiot

kodi is fine. it's the addons people buy those boxes for

Streaming faggots should all just volunteer their resources to bitcoin mining tbqh

so who did they ddos?

So how again am i being hacked from my fire stick?

>i have no idea how technology works but i use it anyway

can someone explain what kodi is? Do you have to buy an amazon firestick or something else that will run this software? Then does it simply allow you to view channels from a number of countries?

I'm wondering if I should get it desu, and what advantage it has to other forms of piracy

Of course it isn't bad. On another note, would you mind installing my small utility on your PC? I'll use it to occasionally DDoS someone but I assure you that you won't even notice it.

>of people that copied his code
Also this is a very retarded reasoning, considering that at the top of every single source file he claims GPL3.
What the code essentially did was sending requests to few pages 30 or 40 times every single time you choose to play something. Combine that with the amount of users the addon has and you've got a very nice botnet.

It just parses streaming urls for you and automatically plays them.

>Wangblows users.
my
fucking
sides

Kodi is an offshoot of Xbox media center(xbmc), just a basic media server, but with add ons that allow you to stream content from various sources

The thing about most media server software is it's mostly based off of xbmc, so they're pretty interchangeable

For example, I'm running plexbmc with Kodi support for unssuported add ons

But yea you should only use trusted add ons OP

theres plenty of other film add ons

>linux mint

why are you shitting on mint?

I have a very strong feeling that you don't know what are you talking about.

don't try to reason with streamfags.

So do these add-ons allow you to access TV channels for free? The only times I've heard of it is for sports streaming where people say it's a better alternative than anything else

For the record, Plex changed my life

Remote access to all of your files saves so much time

I literally watch movies and tv the whole time I'm at work

yes, streaming sports is literally the only reason to use kodi

How would we gets bitches' nudes otherwise, bruh?

>i bet i'm old enough to be grandfather to some of you shits but i still have a better handle on this basic bitch shit

well duh, because you actually had two learn a thing or two about software and hardware to go online in the 90s, whereas now all you need is one hand (or flipper) and most of your brainstem intact

Yes, as another user says, it parses the URLs of thousands of those streaming sites (shush.se etc) and puts it all into a list, pretty basic stuff

Tbh I hardly ever use Kodi functionality, because it's risky, and usually those sights live and die within a couple months

I have just over 850 movies and thousands of tv episodes, and about 30 gigs of music on a custom built NAS that I have access to everywhere with internet

Want Exodus one of the "trusted" add-ons anyway? It all seems pretty shady to me, I'm just going to stick to my stream sources and torrenting until I see reason to change.

yeah but the viral idea is that the modern generation grew up on tech and are supposed to be these super genius level operators by default simply due to the age they were born into

every time i see something like this or the LM debacle i laugh to myself about how fucking retarded the modern generation really is when it comes to entry level shit like md5

hmmm, but allowing you access to streaming sites is different from TV channels. Which is it? For example, my friend said that he can access russian sports channels to watch football matches with kodi. If it is ONLY streaming sites that it allows you to access, then I don't need kodi to do that

That's the thing, most of these add ons are open source, which means if you don't know what you're doing, or the risks involved, you get fucked

Exodus was known to be a little shady, from the beginning

You just have to do your research famalam

You don't get it lol

You can use these programs to stream your own media

It's like your own personal netflix

because they released a new flavor awhile back with a similar issue embedded within ala backdoor after their website was "hacked" and replaced with a copy that didn't match it's md5 and nobody, not even the devs noticed any of this because they didn't bother to check against, among other things

nobody should be using linux mint after that shit, it's developers are incompetent when it comes to basic security and you'd have to be a literal mouthbreathing fool to trust anyone that lets something like that happen on their watch with ANY of your data, let alone running an entire operating system built by them

if you're using it, or kept up with it's development, i'm honestly surprised you didn't know, it was a pretty big deal and a ton of people dropped it for better, more secure alternatives

Dude watching tv on it is probably the best function it has but it's roundabout as fuck. First you need to set up the plugin. Then you need to find sites that have channel lists (essentially a txt with https of m3u8 streams). Then you need to point the plugin to the list. Then half the channels don't work because the streams get pulled. Then you have to find a new list. Then the site goes down and you have to find another. It's a load of fucking faff. You want movies? Torrent. Want sports? Acestream.

Tbh mint was always shit, and was pretty much designed as babbys first GNU/linux OS

Also cinnamon is fucking horrible

Yea he is not gonna understand that lol

Just stick to VLC kiddo

i do not disagree, but the point still stands

also babby's first linux os is almost always ubuntu unless they're running an absolute toaster

>why are you shitting on mint?
lwn.net/Articles/676664/

Not him but I'm not getting in either.

Stream my own media? Like stream the movies i already have?

It's a Debian/Ubuntu build so yea

Who /gentoo/ here

Yes

See

That's my own media

Yes. Your own shit (like your playlist in whatever music player you use) as well as torrents or video streams, depending on the plugin. It's basically a media player OS.

Why would I want to stream the films I have on my computer to my computer?

Isn't it easier to just get something like VLC or MPC-HC and just use that?

>Who /gentoo/ here
Go home Sup Forums, you're drunk.

erm, I use sportsmania and I get streams from around the world for football in HD quality with no buffering issues. it's literally 10x better than acestream, where you end up 5 minutes behind by the end of the game

You can stream them everywhere user

Chromecast

Other people's houses

Your phone

I use it constantly

You do need a pretty good processor for HD/multiple stream transcoding though

I thought using gentoo was a meme

people always told me to use Ubuntu

Oh shit I get it now. That's pretty cool.

It is a meme

I use arch

Let me put it this way

I never have to put/change the music on my phone, because I have remote access to it all

>most of these add ons are open source, which means if you don't know what you're doing, or the risks involved, you get fucked
That fact that the addons are open source is irrelevant. Installing things on your computer can be dangerous if you don't understand what you are doing, FOSS or not.

my nigga

>paid shit
no thanks

Like an earlier user said, Linux mint was hacked, modified, and reposted, and even the devs were too busy to check the md5 sums

So yea being open source does matter

>Sup Forums is such a mess they don't even understand what kodi/plex do

jesus christ get it together

Seriously

It's why I love VLC threads so much

most of Sup Forums's userbase are starting to go senile from old age user.

but why would I? I torrent my shows and films, why should i give a shit about streaming this content like a retard?

>implying the older users aren't the ones schooling the fuck out of these young idiots using kodi

nah it's just underage Sup Forums. they grew up with dads that had everything working for them to begin with

You're streaming your own media from mom's basement to your upstairs twin sized bed user

Now you can watch BLACKED anywhere

>let me just prove i don't understand it one more time

THIS

Get a millennial to explain h.265 and laugh while they sputter out word fragments

I'm going to quote what user said again:

>if you don't know what you're doing, or the risks involved, you get fucked
The above statement is true for all software, FOSS or not.

Linux Mint is shit for all the reasons you listed. Mint is FOSS. Hola VPN App is shit because it is botnet. Hola is closed source. There are plenty of examples of shitty software out there. Some are open source some are closed source. If you're an idiot and you install something you shouldn't then you will get fucked.

>You're streaming your own media from mom's basement

lmao, once again this isn't why kodi is useful. it's literally god tier for streaming sports

>Linux Mint is shit for all the reasons you listed.

you're confusing anons, user

i don't disagree with what you're saying, i merely explained to another poster or two exactly why mint was shit in more recent terms aside from being entry level linux

Yea I get what you're saying, I guess it's all about knowing/trusting the source

Hell half of the windows seven ISO torrents were modified to fuck

Forgive my severe sensitivity and autism.

I have the Kodi add ons literally only for sports

I'm mainly talking in general about most media server software

no worries m8, we're on the same page in both respects desu

>Hell half of the windows seven ISO torrents were modified to fuck
How do you know which is the good one?

isnt stremio better or does it also have problems?

You buy a copy from the store :)

can you steal the paid addons? I know people that use them and pay something like $10 a month.

you know retarded people user

I use kodi on a firestick and only use Exodus. There is no better way of watching free tv and movies on the fly. Anyone who disagrees is a Sup Forumstard

I just wanna watch my shitty cartoons on qubo, is kodi for me?

I am just running vanilla Plex myself and only sharing with two friends. Also helps me stream to the living room PS4 without worrying about file formats.

>Anyone who disagrees is superior to my pleb-tier set up

ftfy

>bringing mint into this

You are a grade A faggot user

SOMEBODY UPDATE THE FUCKING NRK.TV PLUGIN FOR PLEX

How is that internet of things the media keeps talking about?

Now not just computers used to stream, but tvs and tv attachments are being used for bot nets.

openpht here.

No kodi addons are worth switching over to a more demanding client.

openpht takes less than 3% idle whereas kodi uses around 10%+

I've checked both.