So I'm rewatching The Sopranos for the 3rd or 4th time, and I've just realised how hit or miss season 1 is...

So I'm rewatching The Sopranos for the 3rd or 4th time, and I've just realised how hit or miss season 1 is. I mean I always knew it was the worst of the 6 seasons, I'm sure most people agree, but it really is subpar.

Often sloppy script.
Uninspired directing compared to how beautiful later seasons were.
Not a particularly compelling or cohesive plot to keep the season tight. Several underdeveloped or boring sub-plots. Kind of a jumbled mess.
The acting is really bad every now and then. Even the main cast just feel like caricatures at times. Although with it being the 1st season, I suppose the lack of character development and depth can be excused.

It's still great TV though. Keep in mind all of these points are in relation to the quality of later seasons. Honestly though, compare it to let's say seasons 5 or 6 and it feels like a cartoon.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8Bgi3z4M-Mo
youtube.com/watch?v=o2BNpK01eww
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

also, daily sopranos general

youtube.com/watch?v=8Bgi3z4M-Mo

Is this true?

I only watched the first season about a year ago. I haven't been compelled to finish.

UP

Seasons 3-5 are early 2000s comfy kino

exact same position as you, 4th watch thru, except imo season 1 blew everything out of the water

if it was a one season stand alone show it wouldve had an even bigger legacy

Season 1 is pretty much just a Goodfellas spin-off. It comes into its own by the last episode.

justify this pleb shit post

I agree 100%. Even the fan favorites like College are tough to sit through.

S3 is when the show became GOAT

Stop watching. Your life is precious and you only have so much time left on Earth. You can't get it back after watching that crap. Please I beg of you to reconsider.

S2 was better than S3 desu. That whole soap opera storyline with Jackie Jr. and Meadow was really grating.

yeah, and quit browsing this site while you're at it.

IN

SANITATION MANAGEMENT

I love that scene on season 5(?) where he has to work at the garbage office and they bring that hot little white secretary and in the next scene he's got her bent over a desk and he's fucking her!

I wish real life was like that

You're a pleb, it's as simple as that. To put in perspective, you're saying the foundation of a house isn't important because it isn't as beautiful as the house itself. Often the people complaining about early sopranos are the ones that got dragged into it by the fanbase. Sopranos is not such a simple show to rely entirely on plot ties and finales, if that's all you can appreciate, then Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead and other shows that rely on cliffhangers are closer to your taste.

As for acting, all there is to give it is praise. You can't start a show with solid acting, it's not cinema, the actors need time to get the character and fit it accordingly to the story. I don't believe there's a show that did as good as Sopranos with acting, one of the most amazing things I ever experienced was rewatching it for the first time, specifically the first scene where Tony speaks to Melfi, it's Gandolfini putting the roots down for the first time.

You are a fucking idiot

Season 1 is, OBJECTIVELY, the BEST fucking season

>dat late 90s feel
>dat teenage meadow... holy fuck dat teenage meadow
>chrissy being a young gun who doesn't give a fuck, literally just starting his way in the business
>fucking amazing episodes like college
>we don't have shitty dream sequences like later on
>tons of exciting plot points, stealing suits, artie's restaurant, lydia going into the home, DUCKS, junior being a conniving little shit like always, a.j. being a happy little kid instead of his pathetic emo phase later on
>NO JANICE

You need to kill yourself, kid

It's "waste management", or "sanitation", not "sanitation management" you fucking moron

The only reason I can think of someone believing this is if you're like me, which I'll actually switch over to music for a second to make this example: I love hearing a band's sloppy demos for some reason. I like TV when it is a bit unpolished.

I liked that bit where Tony ran over that guy in the middle of a public place in broad daylight. That was hella f*ckin epic.

fuck off reddit fag

>lydia

>>we don't have shitty dream sequences like later on
Fucking pleb.

Season one was the best you fuckin fanook

>f*ckin
Why censor yourself faggot?

newfag

this is what happens when breaking bad fans watch the sopranos

You know Quasimodo predicted all this

You're wet behind the ears user but please explain how i'm the newfag.

Hunchback of Notre Dame... ya also got your quarterback and halfback of Notre Dame.

confirmed newfag

He's writing like a reddit user would. It's not uncommon when you wanna pretend to be retarded.

what makes you think he's pretending and not just a retarded kid?

>all this damage control

epic. simply epic.

So having recently gone through it all for the first time, I found the exact opposite. The last season was the worst. When Matthew Weiner started writing the majority of the episodes the show completely crawled up its own ass. We went from a series that quoted the great mafia movies ironically to one that was just a slightly different version of them. I haven't seen this opinion anywhere else though, hence why I'm in this cesspool.

The tone of the series changed a bit when Robin Green and Mitchell Burgess left (after season 5)...

Weiner and Frolov and some other guy were brought in to fill the void. The series still had Chase and Winters. So, it remained excellent but the final season missed those two a bit. This is objective fact.

>hence why I'm in this cesspool.
you have to go back

You used to be able to discuss things here and I don't like memes.

Tony's character changing, him getting shot for the second time completely randomly, three episode long dream sequences, Vito, the end of Chris's story, the end of AJ's story, there's a lot of bullshit that I think prevents it from being excellent. The last episode is excellent though.

You still can, despite reddit using Sup Forums as their meme playground.

>People ITT saying S1 was the best
>Not S6B

Top pleb

>Tony's character changing, him getting shot for the second time completely randomly
What? Did you want some epic build up to him getting shot? I thought they handled it well.

Is this thread full of reddit or teenage faggots? The opinions here seem more retarded than usual.

literally the worst

Season One is the best season. KYS

THE

Does anyone else skip the scenes with Livia? I feel like they don't really add much to the overall show, other than just being another point of contention for Tony.

Tony went from having shades of grey to being a completely irredeemable prick in the last season. It was as if the show was mocking you for liking and rooting for him for six seasons.

Nice memes guys

She played one of the major roles in defining Tony's personality, why the fuck would you skip them?

Did it hurt your feelings?

Elaborate please. 6A is the worst.

are you saying reddit doesn't come here to meme?

No, it felt reductively nihilistic all around, and beneath what the show had achieved beforehand.

>it's another tony has sex scene
>girl is hot as fuck
>tonys gigantic hamhands all over her face
>looks like he's trying to kill her
>starts panting like a fucking wildebeest
>shoves his gut into her a few times
>AWWW YEAH GABAGOOL
>rolls over
>girl always wants more
>I still can't get laid
fucking fat piece of shit

It seems like you and the rest of this thread can't appreciate the evolution of the show or the characters.

Try moving out of home you disgusting 90's born piece of shit.

So what plot arc do you feel was left unresolved? And no I don't mean meme 'is the russian still alive' shit.

For me its Furio. Followed by the whole Pussy being a rat but amounting to nothing substancial despite all the evidence about the insider trading he gave the FBI.

I remember the '90s. They were still telling 2nd graders to put the apostrophe before the s.

It seems like you have nothing to say. The whole reason I didn't like the last season is that the so called evolution of the characters went out the fucking window so the writers could fellate themselves for capturing the zeitgeist.

yeah but he's strongfat

fuck off numale

How do you not recognize that stale-ass pasta?

>tfw i noticed this on my first sopranos tour
>tfw almost dropped the show because of it
>tfw all tv fags insulted me when i brought up these issues
where is your gobbedi goo now fatvirgins?

Season 1 objectively had the best strip club music.

youtube.com/watch?v=o2BNpK01eww

some of us actually watch and rewatch these shows instead of shitposting about them on Sup Forums all day long

what the he*k did you just say about me pal?

Am I alone in thinking S3 was the worst? Fuck I hate Jackie Jr. And that Mercedes sales woman.

watching through first time at season 4 so I won't stay in this thread longer, but I just want to say
>NO JANICE
>chrissy being a young gun who doesn't give a fuck, literally just starting his way in the business
are all great. Expecially
>NO JANICE
Fuck janice to hell and back.

CLUB

>stale-ass
fuck off nigger

Season 3 involved a lot of scrambling after the woman who played the mother died. It gets a pass for being a little weak. It was supposed to be Lydia Soprano testifying against Tony in court.

>he watched sopranos less than 10 times

plebs get out

>Pussy being a rat but amounting to nothing substancial
RICO cases take time and they killed him so how is he going to stand trial to verify what was happening on the wire recordings?

Fuck, this.

I really wish there was an upvote button

UP IN THE CLUB!

How did you end up such a fucking pathetic faggot user?

>no mention Dr. Melfi's legs or sexy voice

Did you even watch season 1?

I learned it...

UP IN THE CLUB!

but life is like that, user

i've seen the first four seasons
3 > 1 > 2 > 4

is which part true?

Season 1 being hit or miss

Season 1 being the worst

Because it is the worst, and I do find it a bit odd compared to later seasons but it Sopranos BTFO's nearly any other television show in its first episode. you not "feeling compelled to finish" means there is ZERO hope for you.

6.2 > 5 > 4 > 2 > 6.1 > 3 > 1

imho

>tfw the only comparable layered character drama is Mad Men
>tfw you've already watched Mad Men and Sopranos 5 times through each and there is nothing to fill the void

lmao oh my

To the victor, belongs the spoils.

>dat teenage meadow... holy fuck dat teenage meadow
She's objectively hotter in season 2
There is a dream sequence, it takes up over half an episode. Its the worst dream sequence in the show in fact

Then again this is bait so why do I care

Why don't you get the fuck outta here before I shove your quotations book up your fat fuckin' ass

4>2>3=1

the biggest thing that hit me on the rewatch was all the bad parts of season 3. Which are understandable considering they basically had to rewrite the whole thing but still its bizarre

I don't know. I think it did a good job at showing you what a fucking jerkoff jr was and how in that business, youre born with it or youre not despite how hard he tried to be a gangster

SOPRANOS ALTERNATE HISTORY

A UNIVERSE WHERE TONY KILLED HIS MOM AT THE END OF SEASON 1

A UNIVERSE WHERE LIVIA LIVED TO FILM SEASON 3

A UNIVERSE WHERE THE WRITERS DIDN'T FEEL COMPELLED TO KILL BUSCEMI AT THE END OF SEASON 5

>that one season when AJ was more attractive than Meadow

> Even the fan favorites like College are tough to sit through.

but he didn't say that at all. And it really isn't you're just a breaking bad fan redditor

Why don't you kill yourself you disgusting faggot?