Hows your script

Hey all, I'm doing a project on internal conflict for my screenwriting/storytelling class, but I'm coming up blank for anything worth talking about.

What are some examples of human conflict or inner struggle that I can use to get the ball rolling?

Also screenwriting thread, hows your script going?

Other urls found in this thread:

writersstore.com/how-to-write-a-screenplay-a-guide-to-scriptwriting/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

My wrist is kinda fucked up so I haven't been writing as much. But I'm working out a few ideas for shorts and further developing the script for my passion project.

I have a document I keep writing notes in whenever an idea strikes me. I'm trying to get enough ideas to coalesce fluently enough that I can begin writing a treatment. It's gonna be about dudes and dudettes entering their early 20s, dealing with the fact that less people are settling down early, having less kids and why they choose to do so, as well as contrasting these vibes with the people who DO decide to have children. I've got a storyboard somewhere around here for the first scene, in fact.

thought of one earlier

my uncle being an ex vet and not really having much of a full time job earlier. simple, sedentary lifestyle but he'll buy a car, clean it up and sell occasionally.

throw a wrench into that. buys a car, finds blood or a body part. turns out to be that of a family member or someone close, who was into some shady shit. internal conflict between resorting to violent impulses to find the guy or reporting to inept police force. take it from there.

you don't write on the PC? I know its quicker to grab a pen but when the ideas come at least typing is an option.

or maybe those speech to text programs.

came up with a tv script a few months back with a friend. pretty much have an arc and characters outlined.

still need to find some direction. character progression and plot resolving is fucking hard.

sounds like a good idea user

Yeah I type, but when I work on my shit, I do it for hours. It's more bothersome with my fucked up wrist.

so his conflict is to either let the law handle it or take it into his own hands.

conflict of what it means to have a family in modern times as opposed to a career first.

good ideas.

I should have mentioned that my project is about a guy just talking to himself and the struggle comes from that.
might be difficult to adapt these to an inner monologue. but they are good ideas.

yeah i meant vet as in vietnam veteran. make him a former sniper or some shit. i'd imagine you could come up with something more unique. maybe some horrific backstory from the war that made him become more peaceful. there's probably something better though.

Not a lot of drama, but drama is one of the principles of entertainment like this. I dare not talk about it too much, lest I lose my nerve.

Sounds like some real stream of consciousness stuff.

Post it, man.

Perhaps you keep what he did that made him so peaceful a mystery until the film's climax where he confronts the antagonist.

>real stream of consciousness stuff.
yeah thats what I meant to say. the project is about how he has this internal struggle just with his thoughts and then how he comes to resolve it in the end.

i like it bro. i'm sure you can come up with something more original to flesh it out. the sniper thing might be too on the nose but it could still be related somehow.

guess I'll come back to see if the thread is still up.

What do you mean? Can you be more specific about what conflict you're looking for?

I swear dialogue is the worst thing to write!
especially if most of your story is told through exposition.

dialogue separates the good writers from the great writers.

>tfw I've got some ideas I think would be interested
>tfw I have literal zero knowledge on how to format it so someone could take it seriously

Any good tutorials for this? Just want to learn how to write a proper script

Make it original rather than "realistic." Good actors will make it sound good even if it's shit.

interested too if anyone can help

like a person having to make a decision about something and he weighs out the pros and cons of each decision. he's struggling to make the right decision in his head.

eventually he comes up with an agreement with himself and a resolution at the end.

Its supposed to be as relatable to the audience as possible. the teacher said something about the human condition but I didn't know what he meant.

Read a few famous movie scripts. They are free online.

search for "standard script format book"

I've read quite a few, but just trying to emulate what you like is going to be shit. I'd rather make something terrible on my own than try to bring someone else down with me.

It's not like I'm going to copy Shane Black's little remarks he writes in for readers

That's open and vague as shit. The most classic scene I can think of is Hamlet's "To be or not to be" soliloquy.

If you don't want your script to just be a character talking out loud, then you'll have to show internal conflict through properly developed external conflict. The human condition is just that we can't see the future and we can only base our decisions on what information we have. If we make a mistake, then we still have sympathy. If a character makes a conscious decision to be bad, then the audience would not have sympathy.

What? A format is a format. What Shane Black does is style.
>Anons asked for format, you argue about originality and style
Perhaps work on reading comprehension skills before venturing into writing.

>That's open and vague as shit
welcome to film school.
I once had to make a script based off the color blue as a theme.

>If you don't want your script to just be a character talking out loud
he does have to, at least in his mind. We have to hear his thoughts.

How long does it have to be? So just confirming, you have to write internal monologue?

It's a Comedy, about a Thief who addresses the audience several times through voiceover, at the start he toots his own trumpet about how he doesn't give a shit about who he steals from and basically how cool and stoic he is, throwing out Ayn Rand quotes at random and how one must fend for himself.

He is however unable to reconcile with his apparently random bouts of crying, regret and self loathing, in a careless episode he is caught thieveing from an elderly woman and consults an overly empathetic lawyer(who literally cries at our thieves story) to help him understand his troubles who suggests consulting his subconscious via Lucid Dreams in order to understand to real 'heart' of his troubles and gain 'insight'. Our thief does this and his subconscious (who takes several random faces) gives him nothing- he is either sleeping, laughing at the thief or quoting meaningless shit. Just as the thief is to give up he discovers the elderly woman had dementia and so has no record of the events resulting in the trial being dropped, to the Lawyer's dismay. This of course provokes his conscious and he returns to her store and places back the items at night, but discovers a secret camera has been placed by the lawyer who is attempting to frame him now to start a new case (and make money), revealing him to be a psychopath. Our thief is noticed by what appears to be one of his subconscious identies outside of the shop window that screams and calls the cops on him. The thief escapes and runs away as fast as he can speaking to the audience about how he is a free man for himself and doesn't care who's watching, ending with him telling the audience to 'fuck off'.

I intend this to be a short film 15-20 minutes perhaps.

Thoughts?

yeah. it needs to be about 3 pages

>internal monologue
thats it. I completely forgot what it was called thanks.

Do you ever feel like nothing good is ever going to happen to you?

this is very confusing to read, but it could be interesting with the right script. maybe too many twists for a short though.

Just internal monologue with no action or dialogue? Wtf? That's lame and boring as shit. Okay you can try,
>"Dear diary,..."
lmao

It's a Comedy, about a Thief who addresses the audience several times through voiceover, at the start he toots his own trumpet about how he doesn't give a shit about who he steals from and basically how cool and stoic he is, throwing out Ayn Rand quotes at random and how one must fend for himself.

He is however unable to reconcile with his apparently random bouts of crying, regret and self loathing, in a careless episode he is caught thieveing from an elderly woman and consults an overly empathetic lawyer(who literally cries at our thieves story) to help him understand his troubles who suggests consulting his subconscious via Lucid Dreams in order to understand to real 'heart' of his troubles and gain 'insight'. Our thief does this and his subconscious (who takes several random faces) gives him nothing- he is either sleeping, laughing at the thief or quoting meaningless shit the Lawyer advises our thief to read a script he's written before bed, which is essentially a rewritten American constitution.
Just as the thief is to give up he discovers the elderly woman had dementia and so has no record of the events resulting in the trial being dropped, to the Lawyer's dismay. This of course provokes his conscious and he returns to her store and places back the items at night, but discovers a secret camera has been placed by the lawyer who is attempting to frame him now to start a new case (and make money), revealing him to be a psychopath.

Our thief is noticed by what appears to be one of his subconscious identies outside of the shop window that screams and calls the cops on him. The thief escapes and runs away as fast as he can speaking to the audience about how he is a free man for himself and doesn't care who's watching, ending with him telling the audience he doesn't need them and he's got no one to prove anything to beside himself. And his good acts, whilst unnoticed by others, he improves by.

I intend this to be a short film 15-20 minutes perhaps.
Thoughts?

lol
well its an exercise to teach us how to write dialogue I guess.

I think it's obvious he's asking for tutorials, user. Like torrent/youtube links.

Just go to youtube and search for screenwriting 101 or something. You'll get enough to go on from there

Ah fair and sorry I reported below, yeah I mean I wanted most of the comedy to come out of the lucid dream sequences where the thief is persistent on really learning about himself through these subconscious figures, but they don't budge and that was gonna be the comedy; I know it'll definitely be a weird story and maybe needs a longer length but yeah it could be confusing...

I'm thinking instead of just escaping he can find out from his subconscious that his lawyer set him up and with help from his subconcious (which I assume is his split personalities) gets back at the lawyer in some way.

No it's not obvious. And tutorials is a horrible way to learn format. There are many nuances and differences between different writers, studios and from the time the script was written. For example, modern screenwriting forgoes CUT TO: after every scene, or even CAPITALIZING all sounds, characters and props. The best way to learn is to read a few scripts and choose the format you want from different styles.

He was being stubborn and dense. If that's his attitude, then he might as well kys.

Yeah, that could work although I wanted to go against the idea of getting real world help from dreams and the subsconscous identity he sees in real life was only there to demonstrate how he took the face from someone he saw in the streets, rather than if having some sort of hardboiled importance to him. And so when the same face sees him in real life it's completely indifferent and calls the police on him. I do you in the sense I should probably hint more towards the lawyers maliciousness somehow...

>The best way to learn is to read a few scripts and choose the format you want from different styles.

this is not he best way.
you'll never understand why they script is formatted the way it is.

Just get a book on script format.
The complete guide to script formats is what I learned with. then get final draft and start writing.

Working on my first sp:

If I were to try to show inter conflict then I would show some backstory somewhere in the first or second act. Then, whenever it was brought up in the action I would try to show the characters face.

But then again if the subconscious is meant to pick up on subtle signs we aren't aware of then it could actually work that the only advise they give Ian that the lawyer is screwy, so like in the dream we could have the lawyer but he's completely the opposite of the fake overly empathetic irl one, which rings alarm bells. Yeah thanks user I like this idea

I think this is the hardest part of the project. I I can't write a backstory yet it has to be relatable to the audience.

I can create a backstory for the character but it would be difficult to incorporate it in the short monologue.

is a robot contemplating what it means to be human, too cliche?

it is quite cliche

Nigger what? Please elaborate. You don't need a book to learn screen format. Google a few articles and read a few scripts and you're ready. In fact, I can teach you like 90% here. (Use software for proper spacing, doing 99% of formatting for you)

>Slugline - (beginning of each scene), INTERIOR or EXTERIOR, then LOCATION, then time (day or night, sometimes more specific like evening or morning, or fags can use "8:45 AM")
Example:
INT. RESTAURANT - NIGHT
INT./EXT. CAR - DAY - MOVING

>Action. This is the body. In general, CAP character name first introduced, sound effects, important props (for the prop master). Don't over do it. Write in present tense!
Example:
JOHNNY walks to a school with his BACKPACK.

>Dialogue. Read a script sample you mong.
(V.O.) for when your character is not in scene or same location. (O.S.) for when in scene but not on screen.

>transitions
Don't use these any more unless for emphasis.
Example:
SMASH CUT TO:
FADE IN:
PRELAP (sound usually):

If you read a 300 page screenplay format for dummies book to learn format instead of putting your time to learn and practice writing, then please kill yourself.

What do you want to do that wasn't done in Ghost in the Shell or Blade Runner?

I don't know.

0/10. Back to the drawing board.

But a robot contemplating what it's like being a human going through a gender transitioning process is not. It's current year.

thats extremely basic
I'd rather know all there is to it so I don't come off looking like an amateur that gets his script thrown out by the studio's reader..

You can either shape up and do, or sit there and not do.

Lmao. Chances are you'll get it thrown out for shitty writing than a format mistake.
There's a general format, then there are variations. Why read a book about format, when you can read scripts to learn format and writing at the same time.
>being this retarded
Gl

true.

>>being this retarded
no need to be an asshole about it. while its true your writing style is more important knowledge of format and why you use it is also important if you want to be taken seriously.

but honestly I doubt anyone here is at that level yet.

If he talks to himself the conflict can come from him not taking his own advice.

>Amazon has a free scriptwriting program, and a studio where you can submit your script, and if they like it, they'll pay you to let them turn it into a film or television series

I really have no excuse.

>hurrr im so fucking smart im instantly a master at anything i do, why would i ever need to consult the ideas of other people with script-writing experience XD
keep doing what you're doing

You're being fucking dense. Do what you please. Format is the least of your worries.

but does it actually pay

eternal dunce

>conflict can come from him not taking his own advice
interesting. that could be the reason why he is struggling with himself. his self doubt and not taking risks.

thanks user.

I prefer reading scripts, plays, and screenplays to actual novels because I have very poor visual imagination and can't handle too much detail. I don't get why closet screenplays are so niche and rare. It'd be nice if there were more easy reading books for people my age and I didn't have to go into the young adult's section and look for something that isn't John Green-esque teenage romance.

>reading a book to learn screenwriting format
>instead of going to film school
>instead of going to films
Ayy Lmao

According to Wikipedia:

>Amazon has 45 days to choose a submitted script. If a project is chosen for development, the writer receives $10,000.[4] If a developed script is selected for distribution as a full-budget movie, the creator gets $200,000; if it is selected for distribution as a full-budget series, the creator gets $55,000 as well as "up to 5 percent of Amazon’s net receipts from toy and t-shirt licensing, and other royalties and bonuses." [6]

>spend 3 hours reading a book that might have a few decent tips and a handful of great ones

oh shit, he could've spent that time arguing with you on Sup Forums, you're right

t. Author of Screenwriting for Dummies

I rather take the time to learn how it really is than take advice from some user who just reads other peoples finished scripts (which are more like transcript than a working script) front eh internet.

this is a better deal than the studios. 200K for a feature seems very generous for a first timer.

mad cause you blew a jackson on a bad one?

>transcripts
Simplyscripts dot com
Imsdb dot com
Are you guys computer illiterate? Ever heard of google?
Please with your great format wisdom, write me a short scene of phone conversation between 3 or more characters in different locations using proper format (Sup Forums spacing is fine).

>write me a short scene
no

you obviously have no idea what you are talking about. and if screenwriters hadyour fucking attitude its a wonder anything gets written at all.

>no
Why not? Chicken. Let see how efficient you are at using format.

>reading scripts and screenwriting articles to learn format instead of reading a thick book is the wrong attitude?
Stop trolling nigger.

3 internet articles =/= 300+ page book
>just pretending to be retarded

Do you watch films? Or is that too intellectually too dishonest for you? Do you purely read filmmaking books?

>this whole argument

Please go back to to circlejerk over a screenwriting reading list and where you belong.

>screenwriting reading list
you mean like your articles

oh, but don't read too many, that'd be getting close to having read a novella. i'm sure you haven't done something like that. i'm sure you've only read less than 5 articles in your whole life, that's why you recommended it

the point is just reading scripts will not help you understand how to write scripts.

reading a book on format will help you understand what you're reading. you yourself even said >Google a few articles
which is essentially reading a book on formatting.
you act like you'll just know how to do shit through osmosis, which is not the case.

>deleting posts
seriously?

I said articles since the beginning. If you two had any semblance of reading comprehension, you wouldn't have chimped out like two dumb niggers.

Fuck off back to /r/eddit.

>creenwriting articles
recommend some articles that will help me understand format please.

it just took me awhile to realize how your argument was full of holes

writersstore.com/how-to-write-a-screenplay-a-guide-to-scriptwriting/
2 seconds in google, first link. If you can't do that, just jump off a bridge with a screenwriting book.

you're the one that chimped out for us having the audacity to read a book specifically about formatting instead of some article that only touches on the subject.

Hey this is a brilliant idea, I can do both read articles AND read books on formatting. hen read scripts and see different styles of formatting becasue now I'll know the difference between standard and stylization.

but that seems like too much work for you.

You two act like everyone is dumb as you. I gave two good easy options. Read some scripts. And read some free articles online. Both are sufficient for learning the format. Just admit you have 80 nigger IQ and it took you a whole fucking book to learn something as basic as format.

thanks reddit

>you have 80 nigger IQ

says the idiot that cant read a "thick book".

that site you recommend had some good information but even they gave you recommendations on books to read becasue there is way more information to be had for a screenwriter to learn.

if all you want to do is have basic knowledge and hope that gets you by, then good for you.
some people want to learn more than the basics.

Ask me a question then. What complex format don't you understand? Since you refused to show me what you learned from your comprehensive book.

I said knowing the format is basic to screenwriting, not learning the basics if screenwriting. Holy shit, work on your rading comprehension.
>reading a whole book
>not reading a short article with all that shit condensed

I'm in school learning all of this. and I have books on the subject already. I'll learn it when I get to it.

honeslty I wouldn't know what to ask you anyway. and I'd have to weed out all of your bitchy attitude.

>reading a short article with all that shit condensed
while its nice to have things in a condensed format , I like having as much information on a subject as possible. so taking the long way is preferable to me.
the basics of screenwriting are only few pages in my book, and there's way more to learn. Also there are difference when you're writing for tv than film. so , there's a lot of stuff to learn that articles can only touch on.

Nigger why did you pretend to know more when you are just starting?
>complete newb
>give advice on how to learn
>give experienced person advice
YOU have an attitude problem. Not me. Good luck kid. Next time don't be this retarded.

>No it's not obvious. And tutorials is a horrible way to learn format.

>He was being stubborn and dense. If that's his attitude, then he might as well kys.

the above was literally you before I even came into the discussion. you don't even realize it but maybe you've been on Sup Forums too long. you picked up an edgy attitude.

and I never pretended to know more than I do. I was an advocate for learning more than just reading scripts. also you kind of contradicted yourself unless you don't count the article you posted as a tutorial.

don't knock people for trying to learn.

not good
it's unfilmable in fact

>it's unfilmable
its an exercise on dialogue.

autism

Been brainstorming a couple of ideas with friends for a low budget monster horror/comedy movie, my idea was to base it on that fungus that infects bugs but instead infects humans

>school camp in the woods
>local Indian warns them of evil, stoner bus driver dismisses him
>arrive and make camp, etc
>next day some of the girls/women teacher start acting all overly sexual
>female teacher tries to seduce boys
>girl students try to seduce male Teacher (fan service for /tv anons)
>every time a guy bangs one of the effected girls he goes loopy and runs into the woods, never to return
>the affected girls slowly start to loose their memory
>last unaffected boy and girl follow affected boy into woods
>bus driver goes back into town
>Indian tells him local legend of evil spirit that returns every century resulting in all the men of the tribe disappearing and all the women becoming pregnant.
>last boy and girl find monster fungus in woods using spores to make females horny and infect males through sex
>yadda yadda yadda bus driver saves them, twist is last girl starts rubbing boys leg on way home suggesting she too is infected

this is actually pretty good.

thought it was going to be cliche at first but the sex thing was a nice twist on the spore/zombie thing.

though it almost sounds like a softcore skinemax direct to video thing.

not that that's a bad thing. I would definitely watch it.

In case it wasn't obvious the sex thing is because the fungus needs the humans to reproduce so it doesn't exhaust it's food supply and I like sex scenes with 16yo actors.

>stop being mean
pls
Just fuck off and read your book. Regurgitate whatever lies your instructors tell you to keep buying their books and pay for their classes.
Great argument.

no I understood it.

>and I like sex scenes with 16yo actors.
as do we all.

just get parental permission (if you live in the states) in writing so you aren't producing "cp".

>Regurgitate whatever lies your instructors tell you to keep buying their books and pay for their classes
this delusion.

see you at sundance