Paterson

Paterson
>pushes traditional gender roles
>has a comfortable admiration for Eisenhower-era America
>glorifies no degenerate behavior. the one character who comes close is instantly squashed
>realistically portrays the vices and virtues of being working class

Why isn't this your MOTY?

hoo boy the rest of jarmusch's work will get your synapses firing

I consider Paterson to be one of his top 5, maybe top 3.

what are the other 4?

Down by Law, Night on Earth, Coffee & Cigarettes, and Mystery Train

Dwight D. "Let me warn you about the dangers of the military industrial complex on the eve of my leave of office as I never once brought it up during my eight years of presidency and did absolutely nothing to fight it" Eisenhower

Fuck off, rhesus monkey.

Jarmusch's movies are a little too tame and plain to be exceptional imo

>Paterson is a 2016 drama film written and directed by Jim Jarmusch. The film stars Adam Driver and Golshifteh Farahani as a Paterson, New Jersey couple, one of whom is a bus driver and a poet.
>Golshifteh Farahani
>poet

Ha, nice try.

Is Ghost Dog too degenerate for you?

cuz this dumb motherfucker wouldn't shut the fuck up about match books

trash flick senpai

Golshifteh is pure Aryan waifu

It's ok, just too focused on being cool which sort of plagues Jarmusch at times.

Watched it last night. The guy was a little too pussy whipped for my taste. In an Eisenhower-era America he would have punched that bitch for even asking to buy the guitar.

Other than that, it was pretty nice, especially since I lived in Jersey for couple years.

why is she so perfect, bros?

Adam Driver is both the bus driver and the poet

>reading comprehension

Because I find the idea of someone like Golshifteh Farahani marrying an ugly mug like Driver very hard to believe unless he's rich. Judging from his job, he's not

I thought she was fucking obnoxious as hell.

He hated her.
Also why didn't they have sex once?

WEW LAD!

Golshifteh is so cute, too bad every time I see her I feel a powerful sadness, knowing that I will never have a qt hairy persian gf.

It was pretty good
But it was unambitious and said very little that hasn't been said a million times before.
And Driver's acting was appalling
>inb4 legions of Jarmusch fans blow a gasket

>>inb4 legions of Jarmusch fans blow a gasket
But you said it was good, didn't you?

she was naked in one scene that implied they had sex.

it was a fairly realistic portrayal of marriage.

Yes. But fanboys tend to get upset at any criticism

I liked it a lot. Then again Golshifteh is my waifu so what do I know

eh I see what you're saying about it being unambitious but it worked for me as a charming slice of life of a man who gets ground down by life but still appreciates everything good he has. ANd I disagree about Adam Driver: I can't see that calm, easy-going character being played by anyone else.

I really liked it, although his wife was fucking annoying but i guess that was the point

i expected the ending to be overly dramatic but no, the whole thing was really nice

I liked how the wife was obsessed with black and white.

Every time Driver talked to anyone, it just came off as really unnatural and forced. It was a shame because it really stood out to me

Hmmm I don't see that. He doesn't really "open up" to anybody in the movie, sort of just lets everyone talk to him and reacts to what they say. I think it works for his character.

Did you like his reading scenes?

great movie. came out of the theatre feeling extra perceptive to the little things going on around me. it's a real special feeling films don't often give. scene with the asian poet was very beautiful, i like the magic undertones in such a mundane realist world.

his wife was an obnoxious cunt tho

because im not a fag like you

What was the deal with all the twins?

>Did you like his reading scenes?
Yeah, I thought those were fine. But there was no difference between them and his dialogue scenes
Though maybe the point was that he was awkward I suppose as you mention it

I think the twins represented the idea of having a soul mate or an opposite. Driver's opposite was the Japanese man seen at the end of the film, who was also a poet or didn't express his work.

I read somewhere that the twins were supposed to be the world telling him to make a copy of his poems. I like that interpretation.

Is it comfy kino lads? I might watch this

It's a slice of life with one or two dramatic moments that are not really all that dramatic. It's a very relaxing movie

Thank you. I'll check this out

super comfy. it's about a guy enjoying his life for what there is and composing some pretty bad poetry that he likes so it doesnt matter

some of the poetry was bad. ironically the best one was the Water poem by the little girl.

thought the same. I interpreted it as symbols of complementary, almost cosmic balance.

Not only the twins, but all the conversations on the bus are between two halves, the black couple were two complementary halves, and the girl sitting alone reading poetry is one half, until Paterson joins her to complete the whole.

they're like rhyming couplets: They complete each other.

Based Jarmusch.

on the bus conversations, the part with the two young working class guys talking about striking out with girls was incredibly depressing.

Is The Limits of Control any good? I've heard mixed things about it but the soundtrack is great so I wanna check it out.

Also anyone else watch this show? Jim Jarmusch is in one episode and the episode with Tom Waits is k i n o

i thought it was hinting the guys were gay for some reason

Forgot pic, fugg

Is Adam Driver slowly turning into Adrian Brody?

limits of control is a hard sell. it has great atmosphere and acting and some of the dialogue is great, but the way it ties itself up thematically is kind of cringey.

i would have liked it more if it said less. i don't want to spoil it for you, but the ending is not great.

I fucking loved it. Easily Top 5 for me. It's like a spy thriller with all the traditional excitement cut out, so you just witness the guy travelling place to place, receiving cryptic instructions from mysterious figures.

It only gets a bad wrap because it delights in shitting on your expectations. It's still alot more "eventful" than Paterson, anyway.

Also it's extremely beautiful to look at. Isaach de Bankolé is literal sex.

Alright, I'll have to check it out. Sounds kind of similar to Le Samourai

That could be an interpretation. I just thought it was a commentary on how people place a lot of self-worth on what they do for a living. They struck out because they lacked confidence. I thought the shots of their dirty clothes said that for me. But I think your interpretation works too.

I can see that happening now that you said it

they were going to work. their dirty clothes showed they were manual laborers. I doubt it was about confidence.

men shooting the shit about women on the daily bus ride is super common. I don't think it was a commentary on anything, just Jarmusch embracing that kind of everyman, blue-collar experience.

I can agree with this list.

then why include the part with the black girl staring at them with disgust? notice they got all hushed when she passed. it seemed to me like they were fronting but they were actually afraid of women.

It's amazing that someone said something this prescient and, yet, no one ever listened.

but that's the case with most guys isn't it? We talk a big game to other guys, but in reality it's a different story.

I loved this movie. For everyone calling his wife a bitch, she certainly had her flaws and was annoying but she understood him in a way and you can tell they love each other. I likes their relationship. It felt real.

I don't know for sure, all I know is that before I was actually getting any I was a afraid of women AND talked a lot of shit about them.

I loved their relationship too. She was incredibly supportive of him, always made him food, kept their home a haven for artists so he could feel loved and creative, let him have his own space in the basement that she clearly never invaded. She was an ideal wife, even though she wasn't perfect.

not really. le samourai is minimalist in its execution, but it is still a crime thriller in the end. limits of control is like an anti-thriller

it did feel real, which is why i will never have a close friend or gf. spend too much time around anyone and they become annoying.

I can't decide between this and Elle for my MOTY. Both were really incredible for their own reasons.

going to watch this in a little bit

>tfw no Ohio Blue Tip Matches

why live

would have been better if Jarmusch made Adam Driver write all of his own poetry like Altman did to his actors in Nashville.

As it stands, this is the Inside Llewyn Davis of this generation

>this is the Inside Llewyn Davis of this generation
But this film wasn't complete trash

OUTER

Why was it trash? I happen to consider it my MOTY 2013.

Dwight D. "If someone gets assassinated over this speech it's not going to be me" Eisenhower

No entertainment value whatsoever. Llewyn is an uninteresting idiot who makes bad decisions. The entire film reeks of "look how deep this is!". It plays like a film made solely for hipsters to circlejerk over.

>The entire film reeks of "look how deep this is!". It plays like a film made solely for hipsters to circlejerk over.
Ok, and other than the main character not being an ass (to be fair, Llewyn has gone through some shit prior to the film's start), how is Paterson any different?

Paterson was much more chilled out. The film was a look at a relationship that seemed bad from the outset but actually worked, a bus driver who spent all his time writing shit poetry despite having the potential for so much more but who enjoyed that life.
It was a film first, and a commentary second. I quite enjoy the idea that hipsters might try and figure out what his poetry "meant". And ILD didn't feel like that, it felt too up its own ass

By the way, Paterson definitely wasn't perfect, but it was good

Cool story, reddit

wait, how was ILD a "commentary"? Is that what you're implying? I thought the movie was very chill, and like Paterson was filled with unique side characters that give the film a memorable quality. And like the poetry asides in Paterson, ILD uses music to set itself aside from other character pieces.

>it's an user doesn't get a movie so he shits on it post

ILD felt like it was trying to make this grand statement on folk music and why it died out through the medium of this incredibly dull loser who wasn't entertaining to watch. And things like the cat frequently showing up in random places, and ending with the beginning scene were unnecessary visual metaphors to remind the viewers that the film was totally so deep.

Paterson is much more comfortable in what it is. It doesn't have to keep reminding the viewer that it's about something more than the characters because it knows what it is. And Paterson was actually a likable protagonist so we (the audience) end up rooting for him

>it's an user can't deal with criticism so he accuses the critic of "not getting it" to ignore their points post

>LD felt like it was trying to make this grand statement on folk music and why it died out t
Well, I thought it was more about this guy who has all the potential in the world, in a movement that is on the cusp of mainstream success, letting tragedy destroy his trajectory. I thought it was a good tragedy. Maybe not as "relaxed" and loose as Paterson, but the spirit is very much the same. I think they are companion pieces.

>tfw no Golshifteh gf

she looked so good in that scene, baking all the cupcakes. God I want a wife like her. I'll buy her whatever stupid thing she wants.

He has a nice voice, is in good shape and he's fucking 6'4.

The race-mixing worship in this thread is repulsive. Cuckolds everywhere.

It's Paterson NJ. You pretty much have to racemix if you want to have sex with someone actually attractive. Sad part of living in New York/North Jersey. I know from experience.

She's literally an Aryan.

ahh, racemixing in Paterson, New Jersey. this. this is very poetic.

where can i watch this fucking movie???

What the fuck was his problem?!

they made a female play a boy.

He's still ugly and he's a bus driver.