Y-you'll be watching M-major League Rugby next year, r-r-right senpai?

Y-you'll be watching M-major League Rugby next year, r-r-right senpai?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Rugby
usmlr.com/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_union#Teams_and_positions
youtube.com/watch?v=0485Pml3It4&feature=youtu.be
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Which team should I become a fan of?

Anywhere near any of these locations?

Wait, is there a Rugby league starting in the US?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Rugby

I had no idea. The Glendale Raptors it is then.

Why haven't I heard about this? When's the first game?

Do you take me for some sort of nerd young lady? Sod off.

Here's the website here:

usmlr.com/

It should start sometime next year, the teams are only being finalised now. I'm not sure what the funding is like, but hopefully they can get a couple stars from super rugby (southern hemisphere comp) or the pro-14 (UK & France)

>rugby union contest
>put league in the title
WHY?

I'm not sure what you're saying but pretty much every major sporting league in the US has league in its title. National Football League. Major league baseball. National Hockey league. NBA is a hold out in this case.

>I'm not sure what you're saying
The problem is there are two different codes of rugby, which don't even have the same number of players on a team.
This thing is a rugby UNION contest - the more popular code with 15 players a side and no tackle counter.
But there's also rugby LEAGUE - which is 13 a side and has a tackle system that's kind of like american football. You have 6 tackles to score or possession changes sides.

So I'm moaning that they've put the word league in the name of a rugby union competition because it's misleading.

Ah, gotcha. That wouldn't be misleading for your average American though which is where this league is going to be. I can see why that would annoy actual rugby fans around the world though.

What's a tackle counter by the way?

If they make a Vegas or LA team I'll follow

But until then I'll watch the prime time games

>What's a tackle counter by the way?
League has a system like the downs in american football. So in league if a player is tackled to the ground, the play resets from that point and the number of tackles goes up by one. Instead of four downs to go 10 yards, the teams have 6 tackles to score a try or posession switches to their opponents.

In contrast union has none of this, and tries are usually contested with a ruck. A team keeps posession until the other side actually gain the ball physically, or it's awarded because of a foul etc.

>and tries are usually contested with a ruck.
I think that's the one I've watched before then. I'd prefer to see them keep playing until stopped myself but going the length of the field in only 6 tackles seems like a decent challenge.

>A team keeps posession until the other side actually gain the ball physically,
It'll gain massive popularity and blacks will dominated by the second month

You'll have almost certainly seen union before, it's a lot more popular. League is pretty much only big in the north of England and in Australia.
The two end up being having a different flow in play.

Hasn't happened here. Even in fucking south africa their rugby team is mostly white. The sport is basically white people and polynesians (fiji, tonga, samoa, the maori of New Zealand). Well I guess the nips are ok at it.

Wrong.

Rugby Union:

>Nigs can only compete in 2/15 positions
>No pace babies

Rugby Union:

>International competition, as well as domestic leagues
>Nigs can only compete in 2/15 positions
>No pace babies
>Both free flowing and highly tactical
>Less ads
>Anglo sport
>Not dying of head trauma at 40
>Actually learn how to tackle
>Similar feats of athleticism (Competing for the highball
>New feats of athleticism (Lineout's)
>No girly protection and you can't throw the ball forward. You have to face the enemy alone.
>1 team for defense and offense. Not 90 players to pick and choose from.
>esteems the western masculine qualities of camaraderie, fairplay and a balanced beer/sport ratio.
>high standards of morals in and off the field.
>It will scare the shit out of the NFL
and best
>Kicking is actually valued

Bamp. Needs some advertising campaign. I didn't know anything about this.

My heart

My boyfriend plays rugby, and oh my god it sure isn't a punishment to learn it. The best thing is that there are whole different kind of men on the field with different purposes. You have like huge muscular rhinos who will like pounce into another player and they're just mighty af, and you have the really quick slender (but still also muscular) guys who run run run to score the point etc. Also it is hard to understand so I can just keep lingering at them as I'm being explained wth is going on. To be honest I really love going to his games even though it's amateur level it's clear the players are all build to do this.
The only professional games I've seen so far were a couple Sevens games (Wales - Scotland, England - Ireland I think) and like one real Rugby game (not sure what name it would have) and they were actually exciting unlike almost any other teamsport.

My boyfriend plays the guy that has to like go for the ball always and he's in the back when there's a scrum (?) so he's always running around. Anyone know what that position is called officially?

Let's hope it has a better start than the previous formats. I guess they'll wait for the Six Nations (main euro tournament) so advertise, because those games will be shown in the states

Scrum-half or the 9

My Penis

But they said in the back of the scrum, surely that's a number 8?

He's a chart of the positions, what number does he play? The number matches a position not a player (with 16-23 being the replacements).

According to this bit en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_union#Teams_and_positions I think it is number-8, if you look at the image with this guy Sebastien Chabal in it it would be him I think, he's like fishing for the ball during a scrum.

Coming Soon look interesting desu

Is this gonna be good?

ill tune in for that

>americans need the words "major" in the title for people to take interest in it
God, Americans are so fucking retarded.

Is that a gigantic sperm cell?

Seattle it is.

Say the lad from "SUPER" rugby

When she/he said that the position "get's to the ball" always I thought 9, because when a scrum advances ball in 8's feet, the 9 follows behind the scrum.

Anyways, if he's big and muscular so 8, if he's short/medium tall and fast he's 9

He's tall and muscular and I love him

bit gay lad

It's her(?) boyfriend?

The pinnacle of Rugby Union is viewed as the penalty goal. Every rule in the entire game is geared towards maximizing the amount of penalty goals that can be attempted within 80 minutes. Its great viewing. What a thrilling sport.
Rugby league is OK but I can't deal with all that running and passing. Sometimes a whole game can pass without a single penalty goal being kicked! Can you imagine?
I hardly ever get to sit and watch for eight minutes while a scrum collapses and repacks six times, followed by a penalty goal, in rugby league. If league wants to compete they need far more of it.
Also, there's far too much game time in rugby league. They set up too many plays and go far too long without slowing the game down with penalties, line outs and 4 scrum re-packs. What rugby league need to do is make field goals and penalty goals worth more, so more time is spent standing around watching one guy kick a ball. Did you guys see the latest Durban Pirates vs Roturua Razorbacks game? Six penalty goals to five! The pirates had no answer to the Razorbacks tactics of kicking the ball out then collapsing the scrum.
Its this level of tactical sophistication that is missing in rugby league, where as you rightly point out, its just a bunch of athletic guys trying to score tries against each other. Yawn.

Are you saying less tries? Omg I love that part the most when they go and run for the try, it's really exciting.

I like both tbqh

rugby league is 1(one) dimensional, no such thing as possession only territory
>run with ball
>get tackled
>run with ball
>get tackled
>run with ball
>get tackled
>run with ball
>get tackled
>run with ball
>get tackled
>kick ball to other team
>other team does the exact same thing
at least union has a breakdown, mauls and kicking is a legitimate tactic not something the team is forced into doing due to shitty rules
gotta be absolute bottom of the barrel retard from west sydney to watch that """"""sport""""""

it's a ghost

Lads
LADS
Also why does /cric/ hate rugby so much? Or is it just that one guy craving attention?

honestly looks much better than football, just wonder if it will work out here

It doesn't have ads every 12 seconds so the media will probably not allow it to

I'm excited as holy fuck desu senpai, I hope we get a team in southern california soon

Even if the start is successful (which it might not be), it'll take some 10 years to reach the popularity of MLS... in the meantime quench your thirst with internationals, the 6N, the RC, super rugby and euroleagues (yuropean leagues are on as we speak btw)

and just wait, and put your kid to rugby

Who Wasps v Harlequins here?

A rugby league could overtake the MLS here very easily. Americans don't like soccer because it's boring, rugby isn't. I hope it works out though

I don't think anyone's expecting overnight success. I think its as much about keeping playing and coaching talent sharp after college

I bet the average yank knows more about soccer than rugby though

Today is where Wasps' season starts.

Not exactly hard to understand "kick this ball into that net, this is a goal kick and this is a corner" though is it

What about offside tbqh.
I just thought rugby had no real presence in the US.

Might be cool.

No teams anywhere close to me though

I know more people who play rugby than who play soccer. I've got a few friends who play for the santa monica rugby club. If the league promotes itself correctly and makes it accessible via streams and maybe some broadcasts on espn 2 or something I think it would work

Just wait for the expansion.
Mls didn't take long

Why watch virgin rugby when I can watch chad football?

>chad football
you mean cuck football

Forgetting seattle and new york

Also I live 45 minutes north of New Orleans so this should be fun as fuck, I hope they use the Superdome as a pitch

Lol nigs are good at sports with breaks, but Rugby is 40 minutes with very limited substitutions, If a nig can't run his ass off for that long he is useless, I see it all the time, small time colleges in the south with no football program so all the players are jacked as fuck nogs, but they get pounded into the ground by a lot smaller white kids because the nogs have no stamina and get tired

never specified and plus it's the netherlands
Also a girl with a rugby boyfriend on Sup Forums I don't think so

I was a football fag until I discovered how fucking fantastic rugby was after studying in Ireland for a semester, while I hate the fucking non stop running and bi-weekly bleep tests, it still kicks footballs ass

Is there more info about the Minnesota team?

/seawolves/ lads

Talk to me when they have a team in Philadelphia

football is the best version of rugby, but Browns still suck

Your opinion, not mine. Browns will always suck ass. They should just fuck off to Portland or somewhere like that

apparently it's got a bit of history in california and some parts of the south

dallas griffins apparently have been around since 2008
will they be any good lads?

Bump

Rugby is growing really fast in the US, half from the love of the sport and half from the legends of how batshit crazy the parties are after the games

Some of my best memories of collegiate rugby were outdrinking other teams across the country after wooping their ass or the other way around, there are always 2 matches in Rugby, on the field and in the bar

I can't see any reason why it wouldn't. Just needs to gain some solid momentum.

>Skinny manlets
>Chads
Pick 1

He meant American football, the most chad High school sport there is

based

Please never post again

I'd bet very few people know what offsides is here

Bump

Will this be worse than the soccer debacle

No one knows what league is outside Australia

It's not misleading to anyone. I seriously doubt anyone in America has any idea that rugby league exists/there are 2 rugby codes.

youtube.com/watch?v=0485Pml3It4&feature=youtu.be
Moving in the right direction, but it's lacking the typical physical play style of rugby union

I don't remember Canada being this terrible. Or have the Americans improved by this much?

no

Idk the rules but they don't wear armor so let's go. Are they allowed to attack players like Ben Flower did Lance Hohaia in SLGF 2014????

>Kansas City has a team
Go Blues, I guess

Why not?

Nope

>houston sabercats play at constellation field
that's like 3 minutes from me, sounds like fun

>three teams in Texas
>the closest team to Philadelphia is 18 hours away
Expand pls

Philly should get their own franchise. The city's other teams succ so much, they'll get thousands of follower should they get some wins under their belly.

Anyways, there'll be expansions. New England is a rugby hotspot and the best college is Life near Atlanta. Soon...

Closest is Minneapolis which is 600 miles away. If they add the Ontario team that would be closest but still 200 miles away