Babylon 5

>there are plebs on this board, right now, who stopped watching Babylon 5 on the first season

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GImJdrCSOFA
youtube.com/watch?v=UAsk3ay3e98
youtube.com/watch?v=v5Usu5kD6gI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>not watching the superior DS9 instead

I watched all 5 seasons as it aired. I'm still single and but I have had sex unlike when I was originally watching the show. AMA.

not even in the same galaxy mate

Nah, your a faget

Delenn, and others conspiring with her, are RISKING ALL OF YOUR LIVES by organizing an attack on the homeworld of the shadows!

Tell me Captain Sisko, how can DS9 be superior when it ripped of Babylon 5?

>You will never destroy the Narn homeworld.

who let you out of the retirement home, gramps?

This scene deserves the music imo.

youtube.com/watch?v=GImJdrCSOFA

absolute kino

It sort of breaks my heart to be honest. It's not an elitist thing - everybody should experience the joys of watching this show.

I'm not even the oldest person on Sup Forums tho there's a guy in his 60s who posts on here

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

MR MORDEN

VIIIIIIR

Narns deserved it desu

the first season isn't amazing but it's hardly awful, a lot of world building but not that many episodes that are disposable, don't see why it gets as much hate.

I had a much harder time getting through the first season of TNG when I rewatched it recently.

I've tried to watch babylon 5 like 3 times. Failed and dropped it before the 1st season was over everytime.

I want to watch it so bad, but it just doesn't grab me. And I looove scifi.

If you need to you can skip the first season. You'll have to work some things out for yourself but you'll be fine.

Netflix pls buy the rights for this and rehance the cgi, jesus christ this looks more horrible than i remembered

That scene is after the CGI becomes tolerable. It was worse in the earlier stuff.

I get that they wanted to stay within a small budget and didn't have the ability to build models or that many sets, but them just throwing a shitload of CGI at the audience was one of the downsides of this show.

I tried.

The CGI is so bad, though.

I'll try again, I guess.

They could have just hired some failed art and film students to do the models and filming for free

I stopped after the first episode desu senpai

>I can't watch this show the early 90s CGI isn't pretty enough

pretty strong pleb filter

It breaks my heart too, anons.

It is legitimately the best (or one of the best) shows ever aired, and not just in sci-fi genre.

>and rehance the cgi

too bad they lost all their files.

so if you had to re-do the CGI, you'd have to redo it from scratch.

which is not too bad. but those scenes had perfect direction, and you just KNOW modern faggots would botch it...

frame-for-frame remake of the CGI is the only acceptable option

fan project maybe?

>boot up first episode
>cringe CGI
>this guy with fordable fan hair and Reptile are angry about spices or some shit
DROPPED IT RIGHT FUCKING THERE

Nah. Back then everyone thought the bad CGI was awesome. No one had gotten on the, "ZOMG CGI SUCKS WHY U NO PRACTICAL EFFECTS?!!" hype train yet. Kids and adults alike just thought it was neat, and imagined where the computer visuals would go in ten or twenty years. More innocent times.

meanwhile, you see posts like
>you have to slug through first 2 seasons of TNG
>you have to slug through first 4 seasons of DS9
and it's all good and acceptable.

sigh. anyways, that was probably bait.

Most of the CG could be redone
Except the scenes where they mix the humans and CG
I don't get the technical details, but the resolution drops off badly for all concerned.
There's a scene where Sheradan stands in front of a Vorlon ship and you're meant to be able to see text in the skin of the ship

It just looks like complete shit!

with enough determination, even that is fixable

just go frame by frame, and remove the backgrounds manually

that's a shit ton of work, but it's doable

Paramount did it for TOS, btw

Personally I don't struggle that much with Babylon 5 season 1 because there are solid episodes in it that show the promise of what's to come. The episode Mind Wars is a good example, the Telepath stuff is good, but the real thing on show is G'Kar - a taste of things to come, where he will go, one of the first benevolent acts you see from him.

Deep Space 9 was another one I didn't have to struggle with. The show's promise was there even in the first season, and you see the hints in various episodes. Yes, it does get better, but the early seasons were no struggle for me.

Now TNG, Voyager and Enterprise? Those shows have problems. Problems. PROBLEMS. Even when they were at their best, they had real problems. I've long maintained DS9 was Trek at its top, and that's not on the merits of DS9 alone, it's also on the constant downfalls of Enterprise, TNG and Voyager even at their best, let alone at their worst.

If it happens, I'd be fine with it, but, let's be honest, old CG or new CG, the CG, good or bad, these things won't ever be as important as what made the show actually good.

what sci-fi shows actually have a good first season though? the only one i can think of from the top of my head is the BSG remake and that still had a few shaky (filler) episodes

Gonna try watching it again at some point soon.

Is there a lot of that 90s CGI though? Like some it is fine because it's used as an effect like in Xena and Hercules, or even fucking Star Trek. But the last time I tried watching this show that had entire space set-pieces built on CG.

I wished they'd used models. It probably would have held up better.

Even the "slog through 1 season" is tough for just one season because these shows back then usually had more than 20 episodes each season.

Firefly. Though, I suppose it'd be necessary to point out that if it kept going that we have may look at it as a flawed first season too.

I never liked the BSG remake much. I think the primary reason why became more obvious as the show continued. I really do feel like the disappointing aspects of BSG were there all along, just got blown ever more out of proportion as the show went on. The warning signs were there.

1st season has very, VERY bad cgi

but if i remember right, season 2 (or 3?) onwards has vastly improved cgi but honestly just deal with the fact that its a low budget 90s show, the cgi will be subpar, you are supposed to watch it for the fantastic writing and the performances from g'kar and londo

ah yeah firefly was pretty great, real shame that it got cancelled

the pegasus arc of BSG was absolutely fantastic i thought but yeah the show did slowly become worse and worse as time went on, the ending was pretty awful as well

LEXX?

Great show, after watching it become one of my favourites, still think the last season was rushed of something because it did not feel right.

they creator of the show believed that season 4 was going to be the last season (ie cancelled) so season 5 ended up being a clusterfuck because of that

network told JMS they are not renewing after season 4.
he compressed S4+S5 into S4.

then another network picked it up and he had to come up with new material.

I hate S5, when I rewatch, I never watch it.

I'd agree about the Pegasus Arc. I also liked their spin off movies well enough. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to hate on BSG, it just never clicked with me, and I am willing to put that down to taste.

i was very young when that show was airing so i never really watched it, from what i remember it was really fucking weird though

I used to watch that late at night when I should have been sleeping. It had the opposite problem of some sci-fi shows where it got baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad, but started great.

>I wished they'd used models. It probably would have held up better.

The scale of the major battles in B5 is on a completely different scale from most other sci-fi shows. You could never do battle scenes using dozens of ships with models on a tv budget.

youtube.com/watch?v=UAsk3ay3e98

yea that makes sense and why S5 is a mess.

I was in the similar position. Didn't get it as a kid, thought it was weird and stupid.

Turns out it's fucking great, borderline genius even. I recommend you check it out.

didnt ds9 use models for the huge battles against the dominion in season 6&7?

doesnt season 5 have those amazing 2 or 3 episodes where sheridan gets captured by earth gov and gets tortured/interrogated? i loved those eps, and also the final episode is easily one of my favourite endings ever

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Mr. Garibaldi

One of the most powerful moments in the series. Especially because of the build up of Londo's character. It all led to this horrible moment. 10/10.

no, those are all season 4.

season 5 is a very very very long epilogue.

even the last episode of S5 was actually shot during S4. (and yeah, it is god-tier)

last episode of season 4 was hastly made when they got picked up for season 5.

to elaborate, original (at that point) plan was
shadow war for S4
earth-gov war for S5

instead those became S4a and S4b.

Yeah because I started watching the superior show

good luck with the ending :(

tied with this scene imo

HUGE SPOILERS

youtube.com/watch?v=v5Usu5kD6gI

HUGE SPOILERS

man, 90s sci-fi Sup Forums is it's own thing. we had bad shows, good shows, great shows, we had choice!

I watched both of them. While I enjoyed both, Babylon 5 benefited from far better prior planning planning, a long term game. Too many Above and Beyond episodes fell too the simple issue of too little long term planning. The early parts of the show really suffer, you have massive changes in technology within just the first few episodes that don't add up with one another, and, further, the show had too many characters that just drug it down instead of pushing it forward.

Now, to be fair, there are very, very good characters in SA&B, and some damn good episodes, but it never had to cohesiveness or continuous strength of B5. Personally I'm happy to own both series, but there's just no comparing.

Now, all that said, I'd take SA&B over most more recent attempts at sci-fi shows. It's just been a long term bout of sad and disappointing for far, far too long.

speaking of, just finished Farscape! very enjoyable.

henson's work really elevates it.

I'm sorry, but how can you even argue about SAaB's storyline?

I mean, I love that show, hands down, but you know full-well it was killed before anything got any chance to develop.

And that fucking reveal/cliffhanger in the S1 finale, I'm still mad.

Yes but the real question is should I give this a view?

Starship Troopers, as a property, even in the first movie's style, has so much potential. And it's been completely wasted, over and over and over and over . . . and over . . .

this was surprisingly good, actually

ends with unresolved cliffhanger...

wtf is this like some machinima?

I'm at the second movie

>Starship Troopers, as a property, even in the first movie's style
ESPECIALLY in the first movie's style
but book version is cool too, would make great Sup Forums

I'm going to watch Andromeda, any tips?

Has promise. Eventually you'll hit a part where everyone's look gets drastically revamped. At that point - stop watching.

I think the only reason I've thought about maybe trying that is for Sorbo. Otherwise it just look trite.

Expanse

I was going to watch it as well, but some user convinced me not to

I've seen one episode as a kid and hated it.

But I long after comfy sci-fi, although you guys scare me.

thanks!

I watched it most of the way through and while some of the ideas are good some things weren't good.

They cast their net too wide with Babylon 5. It was trying to walk a tightrope between being family viewing akin to star trek but has numerous references to genocide, torture, sex, slavery.

Actually came to this thread looking for something to watch after I finish rewatching Lexx.

The first season was the main story line, it does get weaker later on but I really like it regardless of the weaponised autist assassin and the terrible production values.

AND BECAUSE I HAVE POISONED YOUR DRINK.

OH YESSSS!

There was a fuck load of sci-fi shows in the 90's and early 2000's. It was a good time

3 Star Trek series and a number of other space operas.

What a time.

Even some of the more obscure stuff was fun to watch.

>it does get weaker later on
I kinda-somewhat-disagree.

Like, some of the best episodes were in season 2 and 3, and the characters became more and more fleshed out as the show went on.

It just becomes different every season, and it's a good thing. But yeah, I wouldn't mind budget of S1 to go on, it would've definitely improved things.