Strategy, maps, coordinated battles

Sup Forums, I've been watching military/war movies in search for strategy, but I noticed they never really explain what's going on. They just show troops clashing and random shots of combat scenes.

Seven Samurai, Zulu, Troy, 300, Lawrence of Arabia, Black Hawk Down, Red Cliff, Lord of the Rings, to name a few.

The Legend of the Galactic Heroes anime was the closest I've ever seen of a show laying down a graphic visualization of squad formations and how they are supposed to fight each other. The LOTR book (Two Towers) is also really nice because it describes all the layout from the fortress in Helm's Deep before starting the battle.

Have you ever seen this done right in movies? Or are Heist ones the only to do this tactical infographic thing?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/y34-F_KX0ic?t=4534
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I think Oliver Stones Alexander did show overhead shots of the battlefield with the units marked out

Seven Samurai did have the Samurai making a map of the village and the surroundings and discussing how they will fortify it and flood the patties, so that gives the audience an idea of whats going on

Most people aren't autistic and don't need maps and in-depth formation shit.

Movies rarely bother. What you need is some Ken Burns Civil War.

Came here to post this.

>autistic
There's that word again.

>Seven Samurai did have the Samurai making a map
Yeah, but it was pretty much just a rough layout of the village and not informative enough.

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like your average Joe opinion was welcome here.

>Yeah, but it was pretty much just a rough layout of the village and not informative enough.
what else do you need? its a peasant farm village

Because show, don't tell. It doesn't work narratively to stop for a lesson on tactics in the middle of a story; you show it happening onscreen in the actual battle.

>Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like your average Joe opinion was welcome here.

kek'd

I think that's mainly a documentary thing. Most films won't show an info graphic because let's face it, it's too much detail and stylistically poor. What they do is have them explain the strategy or show it during the battle.
Seven samurai does explain it, in detail since for the most part it isn't a conventional battle. I think last samurai gets into somewhat detail too, or at least it shows.

The Expanse. It's gonna have a lot of that on season 2 and onwards as the Rocinante crew will become space police

Not a traditional war movie but Ender's game showed something like that. Battles were all about strategy.

>what else do you need? its a peasant farm village
youtu.be/y34-F_KX0ic?t=4534
The map thing lasts 11 minutes between normal scenes, is pretty unclear and its orientation changes all the time.
Blue = flood, Red = break, Pink = one is where the enemy comes from, the other is the "dangerous place" they mention.

It just gives a vague notion of what's going on.
I agree it would be asking too much for a detailed blueprint or tactics explained in such an old movie, though. But modern ones could easily do it, specially with 3D effects.

Most people here are arguing about form, but I think a well-presented cross-section of a castle (for instance) could make for an interesting way to narrate a planning phase.

>Because meme, meme meme.
Aw, man, fuck you. Are you seriously going down that road?
There are hundreds of movies based on preparing a plan for almost the entirety of the screentime, making the waiting part of the experience. You won't convince me with that shitty rule of thumb for wannabe writers.

Yeah, documentaries are somewhat more detailed, probably because they don't have actual footage and have to explain in those terms. Too bad it's more of a last resort than anything.

>last samurai
Really? Might give it a try.

>make a proper response
>lol meme fuckoff
You deserve whatever shitposting you get

Look past the meanie words and focus on the argument, you're (hopefully) no longer under 18.
But I mean, you ARE pushing a babby's first screenwriting technique here.

>Really? Might give it a try.
Nah, don't if you think 7 samurai didn't do a good job. I mean it's a good movie, and as far as I remember it does show how the battle progresses (clashing, artillery, infantry, cavalry positions) but it's not that detailed. I might also be wrong about that.

Man, now you got me worked up over imagining a scene where some young guy asks about how they won a specific battle.

And it is shown through flashbacks, and physical props, and overhead shots, and all sorts of shit. That would be tight as hell.

Just read a book nigger.

Your examples are pretty bad. All of those have really clear geography, except for Black Hawk Down but that one constantly zooms out to show the map and relative positions of the groups.

We just need a few top down shots, why is it so hard?

>what is budget

It's excusable when there are technology limits. Kurosawa is really good, Yojimbo climbing a tower to see the fight was great

Battle Of Britain

You can come with far better examples, some of those are god tier in that regard.
pic of shit battle scene

What did Jackson mean by this?

Sauron didn't read sun tzu
>To a surrounded enemy, you must leave a way of escape.

Now imagine dozens of corridors being filled up by computer-generated soldiers, World War Z style.

Sounds fun as hell.